PREVIEW - Saints v Lions Round 1 2018

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Re: PREVIEW - Saints v Lions Round 1 2018

Hopefully the guys will run into a bit of form this weekend! I don’t think Brisbane will kick a winning score but they’ll probably be pretty good early and have a crack.
Once their legs get tired, the saints will have their way in the second half. St Kilda by 45 points.

McCartin 4 goals. Sebby Ross... Best On Ground

elizabethr
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote:This is my Round 1 Team:

B: J.Geary, N.Brown, D.Roberton
HB: J.Webster, J.Carlisle, S.Savage
C: J.Newnes, D.Armitage, J.Sinclair
HF: J.Billings, J.Bruce, J.Gresham
F: J.Lonie, P.McCartin, T.Membrey
Foll: T.Hickey, S.Ross, J.Steven
I/C: J.Steele, L.Dunstan, B.Acres, H.Clark.

Emerg: M.Weller, S.Gilbert, N.Coffield.
Spot on.

nothing to say
spert
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote:
bigred wrote:
Lonie has earnt his spot. Sick of idiots not getting the fact he is a gun.
Well I'm sick of idiots not noticing that he cannot stick a tackle at senior level.

He is a gun at VFL level, but cannot take that next step.

I really hope he can prove me wrong, but I think he is a list clogger of the highest order. He is taking a spot from... well anyone.
I watched the replay of the JLT games where Lonie was supposedly good. He was not good. Still loves kicking points or straight to opposition defenders. He still cant tackle. Seriously he is so far from a gun its not funny.
Compare him to that Jack Graham bloke who is younger than Lonie. The bloke is an animal. When he tackles you go down. He hits hard.
Lonie had a serviceable game in the JLT, and was one of our better players - most of the team were just taking up space sadly.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

I'm beginning to think that N.Brown doesnt add enough at full back, except of course when we play against the big power forwards.

Would it be feasible to move Josh Bruce back and have Marshall forward & 2nd ruck?

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Toy Saint wrote:I'm beginning to think that N.Brown doesnt add enough at full back, except of course when we play against the big power forwards.

Would it be feasible to move Josh Bruce back and have Marshall forward & 2nd ruck?
Brown is under rated at the back imo but shouldn't play every game. He takes out their large power forwards better than anyone else on our team. Carlisle is Better on more agile forwards by a long way than brown and with brown freeing him up he also gets to swing forward. Bruce stays forward and hopefully learns to kick straight, gilbos to play for his experience and versatility. Yes he has bad kicking at times but he also fills multiple roles so good with the bad there

Moods
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:OP thinks Lonie is a 'gun' and I am an idiot.
Ffs.

Kelly is a gun. Martin is a gun. Dangerfield is a gun. Wines is a gun. Bont is a gun.

Lonie is nothing near these players. Get a grip.
Sick of fantasists on here.

Lonie is fringe in a mediocre side at absolute best.
By gun I dont mean best in league.
I meant gun as in top a 10 player for us. Lonies football brain and skill is elite. Id say lonies skill is the best we have. Laser by foot. Hopefully he can get to next level. We need that precision and smarts.

You've GOT to be joking! If Lonie is in our top 10 players then we are in serious trouble. I don't care how many times he gets best for Sandy, every time he plays in a fair dinkum game for the saints he's poor. Whether he deserves a game is debateable, but IF he gets a game it will be because he deserves a chance due to form, NOT because he's a gun in our team.

evo
Club Player

I think Meatball has more skills than Lonie particularly tackling and kicking, just cannot get on the park.