Is anyone else worried?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SMS
Club Player

Re: Is anyone else worried?

I thought gill was a saints supporter??

Wtf? Just our luck we finally get into power and he flips on us the dog

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:
degruch wrote:Not quite, some supporters just have more ticker than others. Had we won two practice matches we wouldn't be having this conversation.
It has nothing to do with ticker, Degruch, and we've seen too many tough times as saints. Many fans on here have been following us for 40 years plus, so I doubt I'd been accusing them of lacking ticker. I don't know any group of fans, who, collectively have more. All of the factors that would make us a source of speculation about relocation are currently in place. Poor membership numbers, poor performance, worst debt level of any Victorian club, etc.....these were the same factors that pushed Fitzroy and South Melbourne under.

These are different times of course and things have changed, but our relevance and value to the competition will determine our ultimate fate, as their is now real competition for an AFL licence. Nineteen into eighteen won't go and you can bet that Tassie will get in, eventually. As long as the TV stations demand 9 games a round and get them, they'll be happy. They don't give a stuff whether one or two minor clubs merge, go under or relocate. It's in their interests to get ratings, which we're struggling to deliver as well. The signs are not great. Delusion as to where we're at is not an effective medium or long term strategy.
I really think you're jumping the gun mate, as I mentioned to Pav, all these conditions have existed for years (with some light relief 2008-2010) and we haven't folded yet. Geez, haven't we all been on notice since Ross Oakley came out and said he'd like to wind us up? I'm not sure in what context Gil's shot was taken, but jumping on a plane to Tassie has to be circumstance. Why would the AFL relocate a Victorian club with 40,000 members to establish a club in a North/South split market like Tassie, where they can only hope for 25,000 member at best? Is Tassie a growing market? I get the impression its viewed as a great place to retire for oldies, and a great place to leave if you're young, but I may be incorrect. I feel sorry for them, as its a great place and a traditional footy-mad state, but it really should have been included instead of Gold Coast.

I can't help think that all this is related to our recent average pre-season performances, that somehow have more weight than all the other average pre-season performances we've strung together. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have seen some wins and a dynamite all-conquering game plan, but not seeing either before the season starts doesn't bother me.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I've been worried since the 70's.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

i'm worried i might actually catch another one of the things

why !!
this is madness.

wtf would i do with another black widow in my dotage

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Drake Huggins
Club Player

degruch wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote:
degruch wrote:Not quite, some supporters just have more ticker than others. Had we won two practice matches we wouldn't be having this conversation.
It has nothing to do with ticker, Degruch, and we've seen too many tough times as saints. Many fans on here have been following us for 40 years plus, so I doubt I'd been accusing them of lacking ticker. I don't know any group of fans, who, collectively have more. All of the factors that would make us a source of speculation about relocation are currently in place. Poor membership numbers, poor performance, worst debt level of any Victorian club, etc.....these were the same factors that pushed Fitzroy and South Melbourne under.

These are different times of course and things have changed, but our relevance and value to the competition will determine our ultimate fate, as their is now real competition for an AFL licence. Nineteen into eighteen won't go and you can bet that Tassie will get in, eventually. As long as the TV stations demand 9 games a round and get them, they'll be happy. They don't give a stuff whether one or two minor clubs merge, go under or relocate. It's in their interests to get ratings, which we're struggling to deliver as well. The signs are not great. Delusion as to where we're at is not an effective medium or long term strategy.
I really think you're jumping the gun mate, as I mentioned to Pav, all these conditions have existed for years (with some light relief 2008-2010) and we haven't folded yet. Geez, haven't we all been on notice since Ross Oakley came out and said he'd like to wind us up? I'm not sure in what context Gil's shot was taken, but jumping on a plane to Tassie has to be circumstance. Why would the AFL relocate a Victorian club with 40,000 members to establish a club in a North/South split market like Tassie, where they can only hope for 25,000 member at best? Is Tassie a growing market? I get the impression its viewed as a great place to retire for oldies, and a great place to leave if you're young, but I may be incorrect. I feel sorry for them, as its a great place and a traditional footy-mad state, but it really should have been included instead of Gold Coast.

I can't help think that all this is related to our recent average pre-season performances, that somehow have more weight than all the other average pre-season performances we've strung together. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have seen some wins and a dynamite all-conquering game plan, but not seeing either before the season starts doesn't bother me.
One day the music will stop. We'd better have a chair to sit on. Ask any South Melbourne and Fitzroy supporter as to how quickly and ruthlessly the AFL can act when it needs to.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

We may have screwed ourselves. Can't think of the phrase, but it’s the opposite to taking a poison pill.

Matt Finnis and Simon Lethlean are not ”St Kilda” people. They couldn't give a s*** about our history.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saint-stu
Club Player

Drake Huggins wrote:Our current rebuild appears to be falling short of the mark, with several glaring deficiencies still apparent. Still no outside, pacey, good ball users.
I think it's easy to forget that last year the boy from Lorne, down the great ocean road was playing with an injury. He is exactly this and can kick goals too.

If you've forgotten how good he is:

1ac46a38
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:We may have screwed ourselves. Can't think of the phrase, but it’s the opposite to taking a poison pill.

Matt Finnis and Simon Lethlean are not ”St Kilda” people. They couldn't give a s*** about our history.
We may have screwed ourselve how? With 1 premiership and an internal culture that has harboured mediocrity and celebrated failure or by injecting some external vision and discipline.

We may be screwed indeed.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote:We may have screwed ourselves. Can't think of the phrase, but it’s the opposite to taking a poison pill.

They may not be Saints people, but who cares? Its not the 1980's anymore. Gone are the days when a few local supporters that are pissheads and gamblers or whatever with heaps of money run the joint for their own egos.

Modern AFL is a multi million dollar business, same as the footy clubs. Just the reality of it in 2018 and beyond now. AFL clubs need businessmen in suits to run the joints at the top.

Thats why you have ex players and passionate Saints fans like Burkey and others on the board to oversee things in a certain way.
Last edited by parkeysainter on Sun 11 Mar 2018 2:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Drake Huggins
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote:

We may have screwed ourselve how? With 1 premiership and an internal culture that has harboured mediocrity and celebrated failure or by injecting some external vision and discipline.

Beautifully said, in 28 words or less. We have a competition winner.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I am VERY worried.

A failed rebuild, free agency & trade plans didn’t come to fruition, threw money at every star available but no one was interested (rather go to Essendope), lots of debt, poor membership and mark my words, the AFL has no interest in having to prop up struggling the Melbourne clubs, especially those so success-starved as us. The competition is already too big at 18 teams and 10 of those come from Victoria.

If we keep treading water, I fear it’s only a matter of time before we’re forced to join that debarcle of a Gold Coast club.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

The possibility of our relocation/demise is remote. Firstly our Members should thwart any attempts as did North Melbourne's. North Melbourne are far more likely to end up a Tasmanian Club, don't worry about current Membership numbers, their actual supporter base is tiny in comparison to ours.

Then there's GWS and Gold Coast. NSW will never have a market for 3 teams, it doesn't really have a market for two. GWS will end up in Canberra as their primary base. Gold Coast are going nowhere fast, the Gold Coast is a graveyard for all major sports teams. There is not a market for 2 teams in QLD and there's bugger all market on the Gold Coast. They may well be uprooted and dispatched to Tassie.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

i reckon many fitzroy supporters wished they, and not south, had moved to sydney.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:

Like Finnis did by signing up Richo for 3 years when they could have waited. Or putting ideology and political correctness first before list development and putting our young list at risk by not trying to secure the best available development coach on the market.

Dream on.

They’re AFL company men first. I think it’s pretty obvious.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:

They may not be Saints people, but who cares? Its not the 1980's anymore. Gone are the days when a few local supporters that are pissheads and gamblers or whatever with heaps of money run the joint for their own egos.

Modern AFL is a multi million dollar business, same as the footy clubs. Just the reality of it in 2018 and beyond now. AFL clubs need businessmen in suits to run the joints at the top.

Thats why you have ex players and passionate Saints fans like Burkey and others on the board to oversee things in a certain way.
Completely irrelevant but I bet you were saying that 15 years ago, Parkeysainter. :roll:

This post is up there with your comment on how last season we were just 4 1/2 wins of the top of the ladder. Priceless.

It’s entirely your prerogative to buy the club’s BS, but you are being a drone.

It does appear though that deep down you do enjoy mediocrity, as per your stupid 1980s avatar; the worst period in the club’s history, ever.
Last edited by SaintPav on Mon 12 Mar 2018 3:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by SaintPav on Mon 12 Mar 2018 3:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

Sydney Sainter and St.Pav. Both on the ball. The rest? Living in delusion land. AFL HQ has no love for us. We are an annoyance that needs to be "managed".

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:Sydney Sainter and St.Pav. Both on the ball. The rest? Living in delusion land. AFL HQ has no love for us. We are an annoyance that needs to be "managed".
For whatever reason, it doesn't look like we have any growth prospects either.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:

Completely irrelevant but I bet you were saying that 15 years ago, Parkeysainter. :roll:

This post is up there with your comment on how last season we were just 4 1/2 wins of the top of the ladder. Priceless.

It does appear though that deep down you do enjoy mediocrity, as per your stupid 1980s avatar; the worst period in the club’s history, ever.
Whatever SP, its not irrelevant at all and highlights the modern world of AFL footy. Plain and simple.

Nothing wrong with being a positive poster about the Saints either on here, the team you support. Better than being a pessimistic sad sack with nearly every post like some. IMO, the Saints aren't that far off of it based on our win/loss ratio from the last 2 seasons.

And leave Phil Narkle alone. I just like his helmet. Or is that you just don't like aboriginals? (that is a joke)

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Moods
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:i reckon many fitzroy supporters wished they, and not south, had moved to sydney.

Not this one. I was NEVER going to support a team interstate. Spin it any way you like. Once you move to a different city you become that City's club. Some say better than extinction. I say it's the same thing. I don't see the Brisbane Lions as any different to the other 17 clubs in the comp. I have no soft spot for them. About the only emotional attachment I sometimes have is when they run out and they play the club song.

The league is set up far better than it was 25 years ago when the Roys folded. Salary caps, drafts and assistance from the league. My only concern is the drifting from base to base. That's where there are similarities with the old Fitzroy. Could never establish a base. Rival clubs smell blood in the water and start raiding your decent players and before you know it you're completely stuffed. The draft is our salvation which wasn't as readily available back in the day or used as prudently as it is nowadays. We simply have to make each post a winner. Pies/bombers/blues not making finals for 5 years is merely a speed bump to those clubs. Wesimply can't afford it. We need something to stay relevant.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:

Whatever SP, its not irrelevant at all and highlights the modern world of AFL footy. Plain and simple.

Nothing wrong with being a positive poster about the Saints either on here, the team you support. Better than being a pessimistic sad sack with nearly every post like some. IMO, the Saints aren't that far off of it based on our win/loss ratio from the last 2 seasons.

And leave Phil Narkle alone. I just like his helmet. Or is that you just don't like aboriginals? (that is a joke)
WTF are you talking about?

Pull your head in.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:

WTF are you talking about?

Pull your head in.
Its already in mate. Just like Phil Narkle's. :lol:

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Moron

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

If it meant guaranteed sucess I would be wrapped with the club moving to Tassie, but in 135 years nothing the club has done has handed them continued premierships.

stkfc1
Club Player

Vazelos wrote:I may be off the mark but I think he said that to get any cynical people off his back who think he looked after his boyhood club.
Look at what has happened the last few years:
Sends us key AFL people to help run the club
Strongly supports & helps finance the Moorabbin rebuild with AFL monies & Govt backing
Finalises an Etihad deal that apprently will bring in 2 million a year on current gate numbers...

If ever the AFL has looked after us its been the last few years...

The clip ove rthe ear remark was a bit unfair but I think he did it to ensure no recourse back on him re favoritism etc...
You are right on the mark and only person talking sense in this thread. If the AFL were going to relocate us why spend the money they have and try to ensure our financial success? If we were ever going to be able to get out our current financial position its now.