JLT2 Match Thread Saints v Demons 2018

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Re: JLT2 Match Thread Saints v Demons 2018

CQ SAINT wrote:Get Marshall in. This kid has a lot to like about him. He wont learn to be a gun ruckman at Sandy. Looks to be very skilled and very mobile. Doesnt look at all intimidated.
Looks promising but not up to it yet if you ask me!

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Ouch by Marshall, that dropped Mark was a howler.

12 point turn around

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

Well, I did predict this at half time.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Bruce G McAbee wrote:Well, I did predict this at half time.
:lol: Blow the whistle now!

congorozides
Club Player

portosaint wrote:Interesting that Paddy has touched the pill the same amount of times as Petracca playing a much harder role.
Just saying
20 is more than 14.
Just saying.

congorozides
Club Player

Bruce G McAbee wrote:Will we do the usual thing, make a brave comeback, get withun 2 goals then fall away badly in the last 15-20 minutes.
Nailed it.

congorozides
Club Player

Bruce G McAbee wrote:Well, I did predict this at half time.
You did indeed.

portosaint
Club Player

congorozides wrote:
portosaint wrote:Interesting that Paddy has touched the pill the same amount of times as Petracca playing a much harder role.
Just saying
20 is more than 14.
Just saying.
You were a tad slow on the uptake

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Played one good quarter but at least we were pleasing and positive unlike this bloody down time every night.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

That was our best team in

We looked slower, less skilful and not as hard as Melbourne

That is a worry

Forget the 'it's only a practice match' stuff...we are still kicking long to outnumbered teammates, turning it over and then getting taken apart by superiorly skilled teams.

We are in for another long year.

Nee!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Great to get minutes into Billings Bruce and Hickey. Good second hit out for two youngsters in Clark and Coffield. Great second up after a long lay off from Armo and Paddy.

We used it for what it was practise.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

fugazi wrote:That was our best team in

We looked slower, less skilful and not as hard as Melbourne

That is a worry

Forget the 'it's only a practice match' stuff...we are still kicking long to outnumbered teammates, turning it over and then getting taken apart by superiorly skilled teams.

We are in for another long year.
Agreed. There just isn’t enough natural improvement in the list this year to warrant a top 8 spot.
And it’s a vicious circle as the consequence is that no big fish will want to come at year end.

Love is all you need
stonecold
SS Life Member

Oh dear, Gawn!!!!! Nough said, killed us, bring back Billy, Hickey, enough said, wake up MOFO's, get real!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

It took the Saints 69 years to build the team that won the club it's only flag.
This time around we are only 52 years into our rebuild, plenty of time to do it in a shorter time frame.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Drake Huggins
Club Player

stonecold wrote:Oh dear, Gawn!!!!! Nough said, killed us, bring back Billy, Hickey, enough said, wake up MOFO's, get real!!!!!
Yep. Bring back Billy. That's the answer. A slower, more uncoordinated ruckman who can't win his own ball and is a complete liability when the ball hits the ground. The archetypal modern footballer! :roll: you do know, SC, we tried to off load him at the end of 2016, but he didn't want to go? Pity. Could've got a late second rounder who may of been of some use. Still, with Elshyte in the chair it probably would've been another wasted pick.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
stonecold
SS Life Member

Drake Huggins wrote:
stonecold wrote:Oh dear, Gawn!!!!! Nough said, killed us, bring back Billy, Hickey, enough said, wake up MOFO's, get real!!!!!
Yep. Bring back Billy. That's the answer. A slower, more uncoordinated ruckman who can't win his own ball and is a complete liability when the ball hits the ground. The archetypal modern footballer! :roll: you do know, SC, we tried to off load him at the end of 2016, but he didn't want to go? Pity. Could've got a late second rounder who may of been of some use. Still, with Elshyte in the chair it probably would've been another wasted pick.
Yeah, whatever legend, never played ruck in your life, have you?????

Tried to offload Hickey last season, couldn't attract a third Rnd pick, even you could manage the the math, maybe!!!!!

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I'm not naming any of you yet, but don't worry I will in good time. A number of you with your knickers in a twist over a practice game in Cranbourne in the dark, usually the same ones who persistently make outlandish, knee jerk comments and then squeal when their pessimism isn't shared. You piddling reactionary nancies!

I have noted names and you'd better hope you are right with your emotional armchair outbursts. If you are proven to be outlandishly wrong, as many of you were about Jack Billings. I'm going to present some of your comments and let you know all about it. You can be assured that it will be withering and merciless.

I left Casey Fields a reasonably content man tonight. You see in a REAL game, we'd have dropped extra numbers back when Melbourne got that bit of a run on earlier in the game and they wouldn't have waltzed from end to end stringing those bruise free goals together. In 2 weeks time I would also expect that we won't be regurlarly handpassing the footy to our team mates ankles and will have blown some of our cobwebs out. It was cobwebs that gifted Melbourne a few goals in the first half (the only real difference between the teams).

If there were four points up for grabs, you wouldn't have seen 32 goals kicked in the match and I reckon we would have won, or it would've been really tight. Melbourne were never anywhere as good as we got in the third. We bring what we brought in the third quarter for most of a game and we'll beat most teams.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Linton Lodger wrote:I'm not naming any of you yet, but don't worry I will in good time. A number of you with your knickers in a twist over a practice game in Cranbourne in the dark, usually the same ones who persistently make outlandish, knee jerk comments and then squeal when their pessimism isn't shared. You piddling reactionary nancies!

I have noted names and you'd better hope you are right with your emotional armchair outbursts. If you are proven to be outlandishly wrong, as many of you were about Jack Billings. I'm going to present some of your comments and let you know all about it. You can be assured that it will be withering and merciless.

I left Casey Fields a reasonably content man tonight. You see in a REAL game, we'd have dropped extra numbers back when Melbourne got that bit of a run on earlier in the game and they wouldn't have waltzed from end to end stringing those bruise free goals together. In 2 weeks time I would also expect that we won't be regurlarly handpassing the footy to our team mates ankles and will have blown some of our cobwebs out. It was cobwebs that gifted Melbourne a few goals in the first half (the only real difference between the teams).

If there were four points up for grabs, you wouldn't have seen 32 goals kicked in the match and I reckon we would have won, or it would've been really tight. Melbourne were never anywhere as good as we got in the third. We bring what we brought in the third quarter for most of a game and we'll beat most teams.
THIS, BIG TIME, WELL SAID!!!!!

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

We will be 2 zip and then ..... 3 zip after we smash Crows at Etihad :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
loris
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:I'm not naming any of you yet, but don't worry I will in good time. A number of you with your knickers in a twist over a practice game in Cranbourne in the dark, usually the same ones who persistently make outlandish, knee jerk comments and then squeal when their pessimism isn't shared. You piddling reactionary nancies!

Did you notice LL, all the negative nellies who were doing their whinge and groan commentary in the first & second quarters - surprisingly they didn’t post a thing in the third quarter, when the Saints put their foot down and played as a team? Only con g stuck his head up over the parapet, but then con always sticks his head up all the time. At least he doesn’t run for cover. The negative nellies must have breathed a sigh or two in relief when some players made some inexcusable errors in the final quarter and gifted their Melbourne opponents goals.

It will be an interesting season LL. Will the ‘glass half full supporters’ be the grinners at season end? Or, will the ‘glass half empty’ supporters’ be satisfied that their miserable predictions have come to fruition? Interesting times indeed.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

loris wrote:

Did you notice LL, all the negative nellies who were doing their whinge and groan commentary in the first & second quarters - surprisingly they didn’t post a thing in the third quarter, when the Saints put their foot down and played as a team? Only con g stuck his head up over the parapet, but then con always sticks his head up all the time. At least he doesn’t run for cover. The negative nellies must have breathed a sigh or two in relief when some players made some inexcusable errors in the final quarter and gifted their Melbourne opponents goals.

It will be an interesting season LL. Will the ‘glass half full supporters’ be the grinners at season end? Or, will the ‘glass half empty’ supporters’ be satisfied that their miserable predictions have come to fruition? Interesting times indeed.
Some of the nellies ought to watch Richo's Presser, he was quite relaxed & comfortable, in fact chipper and confident and he's not the sort of bloke that gets ahead of himself. Interesting when he talked about making defensive changes to try and score more on the break, that unfortunately it left us too open in the final quarter. That would not have happened in a home and away game. Yet that's what you do in practice matches and why the results are meaningless.

I also noted that Richo spoke in terms of having played 8 quarters rather than 2 games (a revealing use of words) and said they still had more intensive match simulation to do.

It will be an interesting season, who knows what it holds, but I know this: Billings, Ross, Dunstan, Gresham; Steele, Savage, Acres have all improved markedly, Clarke and Coffield are class, Paddy just needs 6 consecutive games and Jack Steven has his breakaway dash back. I can see why Richo appears quietly confident.

I'm quite content that we're flying under the radar.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

stonecold wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote:

Tried to offload Hickey last season, couldn't attract a third Rnd pick, even you could manage the the math, maybe!!!!!
Played in the ruck and CHF for my whole career. I don't know what my playing ability has to do with Billy, possibly the least damaging ruckman in the competition, according to the figures. A liability who can't run to save himself. When he, Paddy and Nathan Brown are in the team together, we are three running players down. That's one of the reasons for our poor showing this preseason. We lack run and spread. Surely you're not suggesting he's the answer to that obvious problem we have?

He's a dinosaur, SC and no number of exclamation marks will change that. premierships are being won by teams with one, mobile main ruckman and a backup. At this stage your boy is behind Hickey and Marshall. We can only hope he stays there for the team's sake. He'll only make us even slower than we already are. Look up his stats from last year, even you should be able to manage the simple math that shows how little of the ball he gets and how he has virtually no influence. We should put him in a glass case marked, "break only in an emergency". Same with Nathan J. Brown!!!!!!!!!!

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Seriously, some of you guys.
If you think we can get anywhere near finals this year...
Jesus H.
And people praising Richo?...
Not sure which world I have woken up in this morning !

takeaway
Club Player

Drake Huggins wrote:
stonecold wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote:

Played in the ruck and CHF for my whole career. I don't know what my playing ability has to do with Billy, possibly the least damaging ruckman in the competition, according to the figures. A liability who can't run to save himself. When he, Paddy and Nathan Brown are in the team together, we are three running players down. That's one of the reasons for our poor showing this preseason. We lack run and spread. Surely you're not suggesting he's the answer to that obvious problem we have?

He's a dinosaur, SC and no number of exclamation marks will change that. premierships are being won by teams with one, mobile main ruckman and a backup. At this stage your boy is behind Hickey and Marshall. We can only hope he stays there for the team's sake. He'll only make us even slower than we already are. Look up his stats from last year, even you should be able to manage the simple math that shows how little of the ball he gets and how he has virtually no influence. We should put him in a glass case marked, "break only in an emergency". Same with Nathan J. Brown!!!!!!!!!!
Behind Hickey & Marshall? I'd say the order is Billy, Marshall, Lonie, then Hickey. Hick got smashed by Gawn, Marshall who is definitely a prospect, but not ready yet, did better against Gawn. Billy, who I agree is not perfect, at least has a bit of devil and makes it a real contest and is a far better tap ruckman than Hickey. Hick needs to get a bit more agro, he
definitely has talent but needs to stand up for himself more. Hopefully he will.

Think you need to check your glasses.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The result is irrelevent but when we lead in the last the umpire paid one of the worst frees youll see to Brayshaw directly in front which got them back in front.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL