Saints in for Tom Lynch

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

congorozides
Club Player

Re: Saints in for Tom Lynch

Remember when we were definitely getting

Fyfe
Kelly
Haynes
Martin

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Don't be suprised if we were the club that put in a 7 mil offer for J McGovern from WCE for 6 years.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Are we driving up prices on key position players to leave less in the salary cap pot for our real targets?

2 metre Peter?
Gaff?

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:AGAIN this year CLARAVINO over PETTY you watch that become a massive blunder.

Again why claravino? Oh cause hes a nice local
Boy was he captain? Probably. Ffs. Choosing battle was a fluke thank god he was a local
Private school kid with an edge they missed.
Can we get rid of this flip flopping troll?

4 months ago Clavarino “Mr. gloves” was a great pick.
SMS wrote:
evertonfc wrote:Interesting that one of the options in this poll, Charlie Constable, was available at 35.

But we overlooked him in favour of Oscar Clavarino.
Yep because the AA CHB Mr Gloves was available. Do you want 13th best midfielder or the BEST Key Defender? Easy answer we did great.
Same with PATON you want the BEST back pocket AA or a 15th midfielder or 8th best forward.

We didnt get any short asses we got the BEST players in their role. Fantastic. Dont win flags getting the 10th best of their position.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
kalsaint
Club Player

Re: Tom Lynch (GC)

Raph Goat Clarke wrote:https://www.zerohanger.com/just-in-four ... nch-18415/
Just read we are chasing him with HUGE money behind it.
I doubt he will leave as the AFL will pay for him to stay at the GC.
Personally, he would be a great addition. I know we already have a number of key forwards however how many of them are better than him?
Reality is the forward line we currently have has a lot of work to do or needs a change up and Lynch could be a big help with that change up
It sort of makes a mockery of taking a !1 pick as a tall forward now. We had the opportunity to stop making mistakes in recruitment by getting a top class forward then. Nothing against Paddy but the Leagues has changed and I could neve see the need for a stand out forward then as we needed the elite midfielder.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
SMS wrote:AGAIN this year CLARAVINO over PETTY you watch that become a massive blunder.

Boy was he captain? Probably. Ffs. Choosing battle was a fluke thank god he was a local

SMS wrote:
evertonfc wrote:Interesting that one of the options in this poll, Charlie Constable, was available at 35.

Yep because the AA CHB Mr Gloves was available. Do you want 13th best midfielder or the BEST Key Defender? Easy answer we did great.
Same with PATON you want the BEST back pocket AA or a 15th midfielder or 8th best forward.

We didnt get any short asses we got the BEST players in their role. Fantastic. Dont win flags getting the 10th best of their position.
Nice spotting KFT. Thank you.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

skeptic wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
skeptic wrote:I must be the only person here that really rates Bruce...

Am continuously miffed at the lack of respect he gets around here
Ditto
Rate him as a forward but not as a second ruckman - on evidence to date.
Bruce was an ok forward for a few games a few years ago, but now
is just a tall fumbly guy with zero marking ability.
Liability.
Well we're just going to have to agree to disagree there

I think being a forward in our club is a very difficult beast especially when competing with one N. Riewoldt and being on the end of our bomb it forward indiscriminately mentality mixed in with his runs in the ruck where he is not suited.

Outside of some wayward kicking, i think he's played better than you can reasonably expect in most games last season
The more I see Bruce play, the more he just reminds me of a slightly better version of Chris Dawes.

Can play at AFL level, but was overrated by many too early when he started playing as a forward and now that he gets attention from the opposition, it’s become too easy to exploit his weaknesses.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Drake Huggins
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:

SMS wrote:

In all fairness, KFT, he posts things good folk like you don't like despite the fact they hint at the truth. If you don't like what he/she posts, just do what you tell everyone else to do and ignore. He does annoy you, doesn't he? Take your own advice. It can be good for you. He may be wrong, but so can you and I be. Give it a balanced, evaluation you expect others and you to take.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:

SMS wrote:

In all fairness, KFT, he posts things good folk like you don't like despite the fact they hint at the truth. If you don't like what he/she posts, just do what you tell everyone else to do and ignore. He does annoy you, doesn't he? Take your own advice. It can be good for you. He may be wrong, but so can you and I be. Give it a balanced, evaluation you expect others and you to take.
Well of course he’s right and of course he’s wrong. The two posts have diametrically opposite opinions on Clavarino. I’m not sure how many games he saw him play between now and then to force him into a complete 180.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:

SMS wrote:

Sorry. I am confused. Which of the two diametrically opposed assessments of Clavarino by SMS hints at the truth?

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

groupie1
Club Player

I think he had one good year and wants to repeat that. I think he's been quite disappointing since. I saw nice things on the w/end. Using his body, (he looks bigger), finding space, etc.

I'm still not sure he's used the right way, as I see him as a Fraser Gehrig type. It's tough to judge, but he doesn't lead well, seems content to compete in pack marks, and rarely clunks them. Gehrig never bothered trying to take a pack mark.

I reckon Brucey should be trying to learn from Membrey's game.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
spert
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote:

I think he had one good year and wants to repeat that. I think he's been quite disappointing since. I saw nice things on the w/end. Using his body, (he looks bigger), finding space, etc.

I'm still not sure he's used the right way, as I see him as a Fraser Gehrig type. It's tough to judge, but he doesn't lead well, seems content to compete in pack marks, and rarely clunks them. Gehrig never bothered trying to take a pack mark.

Gehrig was a much more talented player than Bruce. Bruce is a big athletic player who doesn't seem to know how to use his bulk, or read the ball very well. His good season a few years ago was when he got mobile and made space and moved freely. Last season he seemed to stay at home deep in the forward line, and got outplayed in many one-on-one marking duels. I feel the coach is not using him well, and trying make him an effective ruck is just plain dumb.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
groupie1 wrote:

Gehrig was a much more talented player than Bruce. Bruce is a big athletic player who doesn't seem to know how to use his bulk, or read the ball very well. His good season a few years ago was when he got mobile and made space and moved freely. Last season he seemed to stay at home deep in the forward line, and got outplayed in many one-on-one marking duels. I feel the coach is not using him well, and trying make him an effective ruck is just plain dumb.

Agree 100% on the ruck use.

barneyboyz
Club Player

spert wrote:
groupie1 wrote:

Probably didn't have much choice last year without Paddy doing much

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Drake Huggins
Club Player

BackFromUSA wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:

SMS wrote:

we got the BEST players in their role. Fantastic. Dont win flags getting the 10th best of their position.
Sorry. I am confused. Which of the two diametrically opposed assessments of Clavarino by SMS hints at the truth?
I think I can help. I didn't see where SMS wrote Clavarino is rubbish as a player, only that he preferred Petty over him and that the method of choosing Clavarino was flawed (hardly a radical opinion). He also said it would end up being a blunder. I think he's wrong about that. I think Clavarino is a good chance to become a solid senior player. Preferring one player over another doesn't mean you consign the other to the rubbish bin of history. Does the Petracca MCCartin argument ring a bell? Some pretty strident arguments in that one. That was a case where both are good players, but most had a strong opinion as to who was the better pick. Opinions change with exposure of evidence. You're a tricky little bugger, aren't you BFUSA?

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote: Opinions change with exposure of evidence. You're a tricky little bugger, aren't you BFUSA?
Are we reading the same thing here?

SMS has gone from
He is referring to Clavarino as Mr Gloves. "We did great"

to
AGAIN this year CLARAVINO over PETTY you watch that become a massive blunder.

Boy was he captain? Probably. Ffs.
So now choosing Clavarino is a massive blunder that can not be justified. This is not a slight re ranking of players based on "exposure of evidence" this is a complete back flip over the preseason during which time Clavarino has played zero games.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe SMS isn't a troll, but gee I thought Steele played well in the two JLT games with a broken fibula.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

A bit like McCartin is a blinder over Petracca. Do you get the point?

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Drake Huggins
Club Player

A bit like McCartin is a blinder over Petracca. Do you get the point?

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I’m guessing you mean blunder. I don’t agree with that but I understand why some might think that after three seasons. How many games has Clavarino played since November?

I don’t know if Oscar will be a champ or a chump but I’m glad we didn’t pick Petty because I just know he’d be a heartbreaker.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:

SMS wrote:

we got the BEST players in their role. Fantastic. Dont win flags getting the 10th best of their position.
I think I can help. I didn't see where SMS wrote Clavarino is rubbish as a player, only that he preferred Petty over him and that the method of choosing Clavarino was flawed (hardly a radical opinion). He also said it would end up being a blunder. I think he's wrong about that. I think Clavarino is a good chance to become a solid senior player. Preferring one player over another doesn't mean you consign the other to the rubbish bin of history. Does the Petracca MCCartin argument ring a bell? Some pretty strident arguments in that one. That was a case where both are good players, but most had a strong opinion as to who was the better pick. Opinions change with exposure of evidence. You're a tricky little bugger, aren't you BFUSA?
Thanks for that attempted justification but clearly SMS felt he was the “BEST Key Defender” in his first post yet Petty is also a Key Defender but picking who he has deemed to be the BEST is a “massive blunder” in his second post”??? Still seems like diametrically opposed statements to me.

jays
Club Player

would be a huge get ImageImage
ImageImage

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:

SMS wrote:

Lol this is great!! Hilarious.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Lynchy just jagged his 8th against the Scum. Good to see the blue maggots getting smashed!!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:Lynchy just jagged his 8th against the Scum. Good to see the blue maggots getting smashed!!
Yes and Yes.