Doom and gloom central on SS.net

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Re: Doom and gloom central on SS.net

spert wrote:Strange how the Saints in the first JLT were flat as a pancake, had cobwebs, rusty etc etc...yet Carlton were fresh, looked in form and won. Someone obviously not doing their job.
I might be wrong but Carlton won the first quarter and were out possessed and out scored for the rest of the game. Peaking at JLT time I would suggest but no better than last year.

SMS
Club Player

Its not good to be negative BUT its so frustrating. Mebourne who have been the worst club since 2006 are now going to win a flag or multiple flags while we struggle to make finals over the next 5 years.

We stuffed up. Badly. Its laughable how we managed not to pick the stars. We are slow both in mind and body.
Billings Lonie Sinclair and Gresham our only elite talent but all too small/nice/not champions. You can tell.

Rest of squad is shite. Shite for afl. McCartin will make a great country league player.

HOW can we pick slow 194cm stiff diabetic KPP over an agile 190cm beast skilled modfielder???
HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? Such a kneejerk reaction to a situaion WHEN we still had another 2 years of drafts to find better TALLER KPP. All they had to do was look at the next years crop FFS

UNACCEPTABLE. We now have the nice boys. Everyone is happy having a ball down at moorabbin. There just happy to be with mates having a kick and getting paid. No grunt about em or will to be the best OR SKILL/PACE/AGILITY TO BE THE BEST!!

FFS. THis rebuild is already done but now we have a middle road team and hemce will be stuck for years until a north melbourne like drop off. We are the new north melbourne. They SNUCK into two prelims and were rightfully embarrassed in those finals like we would be with this very simular team

Im greatful we as a club will survive and will hope come 2028 at oir next opportunity to build a star studded line up WE FROGGIN DO OT PROPERLY!!

takeaway
Club Player

SMS wrote:Its not good to be negative BUT its so frustrating. Mebourne who have been the worst club since 2006 are now going to win a flag or multiple flags while we struggle to make finals over the next 5 years.

We stuffed up. Badly. Its laughable how we managed not to pick the stars. We are slow both in mind and body.
Billings Lonie Sinclair and Gresham our only elite talent but all too small/nice/not champions. You can tell.

Rest of squad is shite. Shite for afl. McCartin will make a great country league player.

HOW can we pick slow 194cm stiff diabetic KPP over an agile 190cm beast skilled modfielder???
HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? Such a kneejerk reaction to a situaion WHEN we still had another 2 years of drafts to find better TALLER KPP. All they had to do was look at the next years crop FFS

UNACCEPTABLE. We now have the nice boys. Everyone is happy having a ball down at moorabbin. There just happy to be with mates having a kick and getting paid. No grunt about em or will to be the best OR SKILL/PACE/AGILITY TO BE THE BEST!!

FFS. THis rebuild is already done but now we have a middle road team and hemce will be stuck for years until a north melbourne like drop off. We are the new north melbourne. They SNUCK into two prelims and were rightfully embarrassed in those finals like we would be with this very simular team

Im greatful we as a club will survive and will hope come 2028 at oir next opportunity to build a star studded line up WE FROGGIN DO OT PROPERLY!!
I have just stored this post to the cloud.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I hope to be proven wrong but I'm finding it very hard to get excited about 2018.

The rebuild hasn't worked and we didn't hit free agency like we expected to.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

SMS wrote:Its not good to be negative BUT its so frustrating. Mebourne who have been the worst club since 2006 are now going to win a flag or multiple flags while we struggle to make finals over the next 5 years.

Wtf?

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote:

Here's one I stored earlier.
SMS wrote:I must say Ive done a bit more reading and research.

Michael Turner who is a king of kids potential predictions reckons hes J.roughead. Wow.

The charater of McCartin certainly shines through and we do need an amzing forward for the next decade.

Ok Im ready to accept. Petracca may be a great ball winner and amazing athleticism, but we got Dunstan, Armitage, Steven, Ross, etc etc all inside mids.

1. McCartin
21. D.McKenzie (the next fyfe not the forward)
22. Gartlett or Miller (speed and brilliance)
41. Oscar Mcdonald

Rookie: Caleb Daniel, Petrenko, McKernan

Get on board guys!!

We are getting McCartin. Welcome Paddy!!
He certainly has more likeability than Petracca.

GO SAINTS.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

kosifantutti wrote:
takeaway wrote:

Here's one I stored earlier.
SMS wrote:I must say Ive done a bit more reading and research.

Michael Turner who is a king of kids potential predictions reckons hes J.roughead. Wow.

The charater of McCartin certainly shines through and we do need an amzing forward for the next decade.

Ok Im ready to accept. Petracca may be a great ball winner and amazing athleticism, but we got Dunstan, Armitage, Steven, Ross, etc etc all inside mids.

1. McCartin
21. D.McKenzie (the next fyfe not the forward)
22. Gartlett or Miller (speed and brilliance)
41. Oscar Mcdonald

Rookie: Caleb Daniel, Petrenko, McKernan

Get on board guys!!

We are getting McCartin. Welcome Paddy!!
He certainly has more likeability than Petracca.

GO SAINTS.
Lol. Nearly better than Steele is out for the year with a broken fibula.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
spert
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:
spert wrote:Strange how the Saints in the first JLT were flat as a pancake, had cobwebs, rusty etc etc...yet Carlton were fresh, looked in form and won. Someone obviously not doing their job.
I might be wrong but Carlton won the first quarter and were out possessed and out scored for the rest of the game. Peaking at JLT time I would suggest but no better than last year.
Trouble is, Carlton won, and regardless if we looked like a million dollars- we lost with almost a full list on the track, and that is a bad look, praccy match or not.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:
takeaway wrote:
SMS wrote: Here's one I stored earlier.

Kosi. F@$king brilliant mate. Laughed my arse off.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Credit where its due, we've got a very solid team off field with Finnis leading a strong team on what I imagine is a much leaner budget than most other Vic clubs.

Unfortunately the one area off field that we have failed to be best in class is in recruiting. Some of those decisions will haunt us for years (eg McCartin over Petracca) and we should be well and truely past the rebuild stage by now. We've been out of finals for too long and I fear we are stuck in no mans land just outside the 8.

Love is all you need
David-Lee
Club Player

The issue for me is that I am not seeing the club off field in the best space ever - I don’t think the coaching staff is sorted at all and that’s essential. We heard in 2011 that it was a rebuild and the amazing plan was a 5 year process of this and that. Along cane AR seeming to have the goods in one area basically and that was youth development- however we have struggled along for various reasons - the 5 year rebuild is now Blown out to 2020 ish. I’m not saying AR isn’t a decent guy or an okay coach but the strategy revealed on field is soooo tired and a generation old. He alone is not The team- the players matter. For two years we were told we would bide our time and build a war chest and snag A plus players to propel us- yet again excuses - some valid about changes in club $ etc and suddenly we have no power and the real evidence no A lister remotely willing to commit to us. How do I know? Proof. We had $$$ and draft picks = nada.

No one could predict Paddy would concuss everytime he looked into a stiff wind - but he’s here now and could be ok but no way anyone but us think he would ever be a A grade star- yes before he was drafted but nothing matters but game and he has not been able to string more than 5 or so together heading into his 4th season plus the startling injuries to the head - it’s not all history unfortunately it will reoccur.

On field we have so many gaps so many ifs - if this guy plays well if this haas a Breakout season if they come of age if he recovers from injury if a severely concussion prone player magically never gets one again if only...
Yes we could pull it together. I do think we will make the 8 just this year but see it as significant change growth as a team leaping forward? Same game plan for half a decade no changes whatsoever.

We can only base this upcoming season on the improvements visible from these preseason games - I did not see any improvement from anyone.

But as far as new blokes I am impressed with our two top picks that is exciting and I know Billings and several boys will continually play well but yet to a step up to elite from a player that is good but I haven’t thrown the season in and hope to see a few grow.
I am positive but not blind to the fact we have gaping holes we are tears behind others who can rebuild almost mid season and we a coaching staff headed by a decent guy who lacks the goods to get us to the top.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

The truth. Ugly, confrontational and not at all comforting. This administration has a lot to answer for. For a start, I told you Elshyte was shyte. We are now reaping the benefits of his expertise. As for the rest of the coaching staff who've remained in place for years, despite poor performance, this is our new stability. Several clubs have run past us, including the tiggers and WB for premierships. Watch Melbourne, Carlscum and the dopers win flags before us. But let's stick with good guys like the milky bar kid and his collection of Clouseaux who double as assistants. How long do you stick with proven failures before you move them on. Kingsley, Sexton, Hamill, McPhee, Skrobalak and Searle. Failures and clowns. Proven over time. At least PETA can go and coach the girls, which is always where she belonged. The ringmaster, AR, leading the other rings of fools to another failure. I weep for this club. While we are no good at winning premierships, we are at the forefront of meaningless social issues. The number one club amongst the irrelevant SJW. We can't even get that right. Collingwood and dopers lead the <edited by mods> in terms of members and we don't even have a women's license, whereas eight other clubs do. We are, quite rightly the biggest joke in the competition.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Positives.
team is very young so we could be at the start of a long period pf success
we just got 2 top 10 draft picks who look ok already and will hopefully will be great
we have got rid of 7 players (including 3 old guns) last year and should do similar delisting this year so bye bye list cloggers
we got 2 new players in the AA squad for the first time in a long time and not the ones most people expected
Jack Sinclair had elite stats
We are getting a better Etihad deal this year and heading home
Armo is back and its early days but he seems to be moving fine
Backline should be good mid year end with competition for spots pushing the guys & stop bagging Brown he takes out their big forward, that is his role and we got him for a song. remember when he wasn't there.
Forward line could be set mid year and could be good again. And I am thinking its going to be a break out year for Members not Paddy. He will be the main target up front and he can kick straight
Jack Steven is fit again but will be a lone hand with pace in the mids so hopefully a new game plan to move the ball forward by passes not running
Early draft news is that 2018 should be a bumper crop and if we suck this year we will get another young gun who better be an outside mid.

Basically look for improvements this year but unlikely to play finals this year. Next year if Hunter or Coffield can become an outside mId or we draft/trade one in we should be in the mix in 2019

Drake Huggins
Club Player

We have the worst coaches, list management and recruiting team in the competition. Our CEO is more obsessed with social issues and placating the feminists and <edited by mods>, than he is with us becoming a top side. Our membership is the second worst in Melbourne as is our sponsorship. We're going gangbusters. Apparently we've got over 500,000 supporters, but can't convert that into membership and sponsorship. Who'd part with their money for this rabble apart from us old rusted ons?

Stop trying to blue sky this pathetic bunch of PC sychophants. I'm at the end of my tether. 50 years of this shyte has almost worn me out. Always the same. Year after year. We are as far away from that second flag as ever. I can just hear the usual see you next Tuesday's calling " don't let the door hit you on the way out, see ya loser etc." I worked there and at three other clubs. We are so far behind it doesn't matter. The current regime couldn't run a tuck shop, which is reflected in our position. At least we'll have a float in the gay pride march every year. Marvellous. SMS has pointed out the fiasco of our recruiting. The corkhead in charge for the last six years has been defended by so many on here in the wake of damning evidence. Another example of what we could afford against what we should have hired. This club is a PC joke, a pointer to what our PC society is delivering to us.

<warning for homophobic language>

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

I completely disagree.

I think we have recruited well.

I think we are performing well for a team that has its core around the 20-80 game mark.

I believe finals is the target this year.

Top 4 next year with more players over 100 games.

Contender in 2020 with the core mostly over 100 games.

I believe this was always the plan.

We could win one early like the Bulldogs did or win one like Richmond did (with stars aligning) but both teams rebuilt before us and in the case of the Bulldogs they were 2 years ahead and aided by some father sons. Richmond were rebuilding for a decade and even Melbourne have been. Compared to Melbourne we are ahead of them in a rebuild timeline and performing the same.

Rebuilds take 7 years to contend. Our true rebuild only started under this coach.

However they always say 5 because they can’t sell 7 to the fans.

2020 onwards will give 6 - 8 opportunities with this core group of youngsters who all have 10 more years of footy left.

One of those opportunities should end up with a premiership unlike 2004-2010.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

well this year will answer most questions - we go forward or we go back. it's time for our new breed to deliver a consistent & improved season. i don't think our recruiting has been that poor. we have a solid core. I agree with Busa's timeline. i have questions over our ability to attract any top end talent. i have questions over our gameplan, and our coaches ability to get the next step out of our 22-24 year olds. I see little in him that motivates or innovates. Time will tell.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Drake Huggins
Club Player

BackFromUSA wrote:I completely disagree.

I think we are performing well for a team that has its core around the 20-80 game mark.

We could win one early like the Bulldogs did or win one like Richmond did (with stars aligning) but both teams rebuilt before us and in the case of the Bulldogs they were 2 years ahead and aided by some father sons. Richmond were rebuilding for a decade and even Melbourne have been. Compared to Melbourne we are ahead of them in a rebuild timeline and performing the
Rebuilds take 7 years to contend. Our true rebuild only started under this coach.

2020 onwards will give 6 - 8 opportunities with this core group of youngsters who all have 10 more years of footy left.

That is the sort of propaganda that would make even Dr. Josef Goebbels blush.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:
At the risk of being accused of committing a logical fallacy, when two first year players can walk straight into a team which is 5 years into a rebuild, what does it say about our recruiting for the first 4 years?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:
At the risk of being accused of committing a logical fallacy, when two first year players can walk straight into a team which is 5 years into a rebuild, what does it say about our recruiting for the first 4 years?
That those two players are filling an immediate requirement. Well done!

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

We could win one early like the Bulldogs did or win one like Richmond did (with stars aligning) but both teams rebuilt before us and in the case of the Bulldogs they were 2 years ahead and aided by some father sons. Richmond were rebuilding for a decade and even Melbourne have been. Compared to Melbourne we are ahead of them in a rebuild timeline and performing the same.

Totall agree and good post. Some of the negativity and hate filled rants going on here lately regarding the club, coaches, staff and players are just downright bizarre and ridiculous. Its embarrassing really considering the season hasn't even started.

If you hate the club that much and everything they do and have done or where they are headed then pack it all up and hand back the membership. Don't go to the footy or watch them on the box each week. Its obviously ruining your life to some degree. :roll:

barneyboyz
Club Player

I reckon we're at the point that Geelong was in 2004 with us. We were really looking like doing what they ultimately did, but they made a stand. We really need to start targeting the Melbourne's, Bombers and Carlton's (like Geelong did with us) and start to make a stand. Ok, we might still struggle to beat some of the better sides, but go all out to flog those that we really should. This must start to become the normal

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:
That those two players are filling an immediate requirement. Well done!
Well obviously, friend.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:Football as a whole..as an experience...has lost SO MUCH of what once made it so great. Its not just our team the saints. Just one small part of the picture.
Even up until the mid 2000's and beyond it was still a great experience.
Now, I can take it or leave it.
This is the best, most truest post of the thread.

I don't know what has happened...But it just doesn't have the same ring to it anymore.

It's not really the Saints per se - it's the whole industry.

And that is part of the problem...it's become an industry, not a sport. They feel not like clubs, but AFL franchises. I feel less like a supporter, and more like a customer.

It feels less like an emotional investment, and more like a entertainment option.

And these days...I feel like we've become encouraged to followed all 18 clubs a little bit at the expense of passion for our own club. I've noticed this is true of NFL and NBA fans, too.

Soon, I can see we'll have fans of specific players, and fans of "the AFL" as a league, rather than just fans of a club.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

evertonfc wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:Football as a whole..as an experience...has lost SO MUCH of what once made it so great. Its not just our team the saints. Just one small part of the picture.
Even up until the mid 2000's and beyond it was still a great experience.
Now, I can take it or leave it.
This is the best, most truest post of the thread.

I don't know what has happened...But it just doesn't have the same ring to it anymore.

It's not really the Saints per se - it's the whole industry.

And that is part of the problem...it's become an industry, not a sport. They feel not like clubs, but AFL franchises. I feel less like a supporter, and more like a customer.

It feels less like an emotional investment, and more like a entertainment option.

And these days...I feel like we've become encouraged to followed all 18 clubs a little bit at the expense of passion for our own club. I've noticed this is true of NFL and NBA fans, too.

Soon, I can see we'll have fans of specific players, and fans of "the AFL" as a league, rather than just fans of a club.
I tend to agree with both of these posts. I often say if St.Kilda had won a premiership in ‘09-10 I’d barely watch AFL anymore, if at all. That’s the only thing that still keeps me attached to the sport.... not yet seeing the Saints hold up the cup.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I really wouldn't want to be around here tonight.