No stars, no worries say the saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

No stars, no worries say the saints

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/lac ... 4z2up.html

"By Anthony Colangelo
5 March 2018 — 1:33pm

If there's a knock on St Kilda it's that they lack the star power to make finals, let alone challenge for a premiership. But those in charge at Seaford say that's not a concern.

Senior assistant coach Adam Kingsley agrees that there may not be a Patrick Dangerfield or Gary Ablett-type player at his disposal but says "we feel like we have a lot of younger players who are really developing and could potentially develop into that".

"It isn’t a restricting factor and won’t dictate whether you win or lose but hopefully over the course of this season we can start to see a lot of players develop into top-line players and start being recognised as that too," Kingsley told Fairfax Media."

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Re: No stars, no worries say the saints

Lets see if that's still the attitude when we're sitting in 12th spot come August.....

But seriously, there's a bit of "loser talk" in that article. At one point it says "we haven't been on the bottom of the ladder as long as some other teams". If that's the attitude our coaching staff have, we should sack the lot of them.

Seeing as though we were pretty much even with the Cats going into the 2004 season, and they've barely missed the finals since then (and saluted 3 times just to rub it in), we have no right to go to the media with "at least were not Melbourne"....

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

There’s no excuses in 2018 ... for Richo or the list. We’ll find out which way it’s heading pretty quickly.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:Seeing as though we were pretty much even with the Cats going into the 2004 season, and they've barely missed the finals since then (and saluted 3 times just to rub it in), we have no right to go to the media with "at least were not Melbourne"....
Lol...I'm running out of teams to dump on...I was a hard and fast "thank gawd we're not the Bulldogs!", followed by "geez, at least we're not Richmond!"...I think I might just skip the Demons and lump crap on Freo, at I should be safe for another 4-5 years.

Having said that, yes, the loser tone of the article is a little concerning. How many years after 1971 did Hawthorn pick up the mantra "we know how to win premierships at Glenferrie"?

spert
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:There’s no excuses in 2018 ... for Richo or the list. We’ll find out which way it’s heading pretty quickly.
Might know by mid season..

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

spert wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:There’s no excuses in 2018 ... for Richo or the list. We’ll find out which way it’s heading pretty quickly.
Or a bit earlier

Go you red, black & white warriors
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote:
spert wrote:
Or a bit earlier
By Round 3. Lions, Roos then Crows. i don't expect to beat Adelaide but I expect to be competitive at home. But if we are 0-3 by then I am calling season

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

DJ Higgins wrote:
Saintmatt wrote:
spert wrote:
Or a bit earlier
By Round 3. Lions, Roos then Crows. i don't expect to beat Adelaide but I expect to be competitive at home. But if we are 0-3 by then I am calling season
That was kind of my point. I'm hopeful about Brisbane (whom are a bit of unknown); confident about North and fearful of what the Crows will do to us. The hard part about being a finals aspirant is that you need early wins as it's very hard to make up ground later on (draw dependent of course).

I love our club but sheesh - without elite quality in the midfield - we're going to be pushing it uphill. I'm hoping the Gresh and/or Billings will rise to the level quickly to assist Jack Steven because we're very thin in there without. The likes of Ross, Armo, Dunstan, Steele are triers but one paced, not super users of the footy and don't seem overly excellent at one thing over another.

Go you red, black & white warriors
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Great article on our captain too.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... db38d9a22f

"To get a sense of what truly makes Geary tick, this backstory is paramount.

He has rarely spoken about it, but family is at the forefront of his mind.

Jarryn Geary is the fourth child in a family of six — five boys, one girl — who grew up in Eaglehawk and whose backyard games were every bit as rugged and devoid of rules as games in the Selwood family, who grew up not far away.

“Sport was everything for us,” Geary recalled. “You didn’t have to go too far for entertainment.”

His parents drove the six kids — Jarryn’s sister Caley and brothers Daniel, Shannon, Cal and Eli — around in a Mitsubishi van to their sporting pursuits.

It was known as “The Green Bus”, which used to embarrass Geary, but as a new father he now looks back with pride on the sacrifices his parents made.
Jarryn Geary‘s only final with the Saints came in 2011.

His family tree is more akin to a forest, given the reach of the Geary and Driscoll families, united in the marriage of his father, Damien, and his mother, Antoinette.

Damien Geary was one of 10 children. Antoinette Driscoll came from a family of 15, whose mother, Molly, had to bring them up on her own after her husband died at an early age.

Damien and Antoinette now have 11 grandchildren — including seven-week-old Harriett, the daughter of Jarryn and his fiancee Emma.

That means Geary has more than 90 first cousins.

Can he name them all?

“No, I would get a fair way along, but I wouldn’t be able to finish it — there are too many names,” he said with a smile.

Add to that the 100 or more foster children Brian and Tess Geary helped to bring up, or looked after, along with their own tribe of 10.

“They used to take in kids from broken families and with problems,” Geary said of his grandparents’ fostering.

“Some stayed for years. He (Brian) had a saying: ‘It’s kids what count.’”

That saying is etched on Brian’s headstone, and Jarryn’s brother, Daniel, got a tattoo with the same message when their grandfather passed away in his sleep in 2010.

“He was an inspiration to us all,” Geary said. “He loved people and loved being involved in sport. He didn’t miss anything that anyone in the family did.

“He had three heart attacks and had a stroke which paralysed him down one side. But he ended up teaching himself to use his hand again, and he also taught himself to drive again.”

SMS
Club Player

Its not looking good is it.

Billings maybe elite but thats it.
Acres isnt very good. We need to face this. Hes ordinary. Too slow with the ball doesnt have any elite traits.

Mccartin is old school will be an ok forward. Same with membrey bruce too.
The reasoning to choose an ok undersized fat forward with diabetes over a 190cm elite midfielder is beyond me. Our rebuild died that day.

Gresham is flashy but doubt he’ll become the ablett jnr that we need. Stocky.

Lonie is actually our elite talent the kid is a freak. Beautiful kick handpass and great football brain. But of course being a saint theres a major flaw hes permanently stuck with a body of an 11yo boy.

Dunstan is good and will be a great saints man but again without the pace and agility needed for this modern game we lose.
Our whole Midfield is b grade at best. Steven is elite but small.

Goddard is cooked McKenzie wheres he? Do we even care?

Whete is the elite talent???

Carltons rebuild: SPS, Cripps, Weitering, Curnow, Dow - notice how these players are quick agile while still strong and skilled?
Elite talent they already have 5-7. We have 1 maybe 2.

Stocky slow mids or small weak talent. All wrong

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

SMS wrote:Its not looking good is it.

Billings maybe elite but thats it.
Acres isnt very good. We need to face this. Hes ordinary. Too slow with the ball doesnt have any elite traits.

Mccartin is old school will be an ok forward. Same with membrey bruce too.
The reasoning to choose an ok undersized fat forward with diabetes over a 190cm elite midfielder is beyond me. Our rebuild died that day.

Gresham is flashy but doubt he’ll become the ablett jnr that we need. Stocky.

Lonie is actually our elite talent the kid is a freak. Beautiful kick handpass and great football brain. But of course being a saint theres a major flaw hes permanently stuck with a body of an 11yo boy.

Dunstan is good and will be a great saints man but again without the pace and agility needed for this modern game we lose.
Our whole
Midfield is b grade at best. Steven is elite but small.

Goddard is cooked McKenzie wheres he? Do we even care?

Whete is he elite talent???

Carltons rebuild: SPS, Cripps, Weitering, Curnow, Dow - notice how these players are quick agile while stillstrong and skilled?
Elite talent they already have 5-7. We have 1 maybe 2.

Atocky slow mids or small weak talent. All wrong
Lots of good points here. They play such a blue collar brand of footy too. It’s so bloody frustrating to watch when they don’t finish off their hard work and the heads drop across the field.
Last edited by prwilkinson on Mon 05 Mar 2018 9:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Razor blade time?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
spert
Saintsational Legend

I don't think Richo has ever got the balance of players right while he has been coach. We look a very predictable team with a one-paced midfield apart from Steven- and if he goes down, then no way we will be going anywhere this season with our lack of gut-running line- breakers. I think our recruiting in Richo's years has been poor and has not produced a skillful team that will go anywhere deep into the finals if we make it at all.

We may have potential elite in Billings and Gresham, but one of them really needs to have a stellar season, though neither has big burst speed, more relying on smarts and good ball use. Lonie a pretty skilled and determined player but is just not strong enough to hold his ground while resting up forward against bigger defenders- better off playing on the ball around the ground.

Acres is very good on his day, but like so many Saints, is erratic in form and I think Richo is shoving him around in different positions too much- he needs to settle in one position for a while.. I would play him in the middle for a while- could be hard match up for the opposition, though I don't expect Richo to think out of the box.

We will not win an premiership by persisting with Gilbert and Longer who both have ordinary skills. I would much rather see Hickey or Marshall rucking, and younger players given every opportunity.

I just hope the boys look a different team this week in the JLT

Drake Huggins
Club Player

saynta wrote:https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/lac ... 4z2up.html

"By Anthony Colangelo
5 March 2018 — 1:33pm

If there's a knock on St Kilda it's that they lack the star power to make finals, let alone challenge for a premiership. But those in charge at Seaford say that's not a concern.

Senior assistant coach Adam Kingsley agrees that there may not be a Patrick Dangerfield or Gary Ablett-type player at his disposal but says "we feel like we have a lot of younger players who are really developing and could potentially develop into that".

"It isn’t a restricting factor and won’t dictate whether you win or lose but hopefully over the course of this season we can start to see a lot of players develop into top-line players and start being recognised as that too," Kingsley told Fairfax Media."
This is exactly why we won't win the flag. The milky bar kid leading the mediocrities. Been going on for years. No turnover, no fresh blood, just more of the same groupthink. Playfair and McGlynn aside. We even have a ruck coach who will be coaching against us in the VFL this year. Amateur hour at the saints again.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
degruch
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Razor blade time?
Sure is...we're lauding Carlton's 12 year rebuild on here! :lol:

wasoncestkil58
Club Player

SMS,
Do you really barrack for the Saints. Very negative review on our team. At least let them play a few games before throwing them all in the bin.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

spert wrote:I don't think Richo has ever got the balance of players right while he has been coach. We look a very predictable team with a one-paced midfield apart from Steven- and if he goes down, then no way we will be going anywhere this season with our lack of gut-running line- breakers. I think our recruiting in Richo's years has been poor and has not produced a skillful team that will go anywhere deep into the finals if we make it at all.

We may have potential elite in Billings and Gresham, but one of them really needs to have a stellar season, though neither has big burst speed, more relying on smarts and good ball use. Lonie a pretty skilled and determined player but is just not strong enough to hold his ground while resting up forward against bigger defenders- better off playing on the ball around the ground.

Acres is very good on his day, but like so many Saints, is erratic in form and I think Richo is shoving him around in different positions too much- he needs to settle in one position for a while.. I would play him in the middle for a while- could be hard match up for the opposition, though I don't expect Richo to think out of the box.

We will not win an premiership by persisting with Gilbert and Longer who both have ordinary skills. I would much rather see Hickey or Marshall rucking, and younger players given every opportunity.

I just hope the boys look a different team this week in the JLT
Oh, spert, you've done it again. Head, hammer, hit. Like Quinton Magoo, you seem to see things that others don't. Saynta is in the same club. Are you a GOM too, like me and Saynta, Spert?

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
SMS
Club Player

2013 to 2016 drafts
Disaster because of lack of talent scouting and forward planning

FFS WHY MCCARTIN when HIPWOOD AND CURNOW were the next year??
Why miss out on elite mid talent that was 2014??
We were so concerned with captaincys???
And laughable we DONT TAKE BONT because of injury rumours yet SPEND EVERYTHING ON A FAT DIABETIC!?!?!?!

McCartin over Petracca - stupid desperate decision
Dunstan over Merrett - SA captain over LOCAL mid with pace skill
Billings over Bontempelli - nice school boy over 194cm god. Safe decision wont be horrible but wtf.
Long over S.Bolton - why? Why??? Bolton faster more skilled elite in every way. Was a gift at 25 and we didnt take it.
Goddard over M.McGovern?? - lack of awareness to see talent from interstate.
Carlisle and money over HIPWOOD or CURNOW
Lonie over Daniel - yes daniel shorter but HAVE A LOOK HE HAS WEIGHT and can kick long distance. Ffs they were even but its clear who had the afl body and who didnt and couldnt ever.

SACK OUR RECRUITMENT TEAM NOW!!
WHAT OUR TEAM SHOULD LOOK LIKE. IMAGINE THIS TEAM!!!!

GEARY. AUSTIN. WEBSTER
ROBERTON. MCGOVERN. WHITE
SAVAGE BONTEMPELLI. MERRETT
PETRACCA. BRUCE. ACRES
MEMBREY HIPWOOD. S.BOLTON / C.DANIEL

LONGER. STEVEN. ROSS

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote: Dunstan over Merrett - SA captain over LOCAL mid with pace skill
SMS wrote:Goddard over M.McGovern?? - lack of awareness to see talent from interstate.
:|

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote:
Saintmatt wrote:
spert wrote:
Or a bit earlier
Being 0-3 would be pretty catastrophic. People would also be screaming for Richo's head. I'm expecting we'll at least be 2-1 after the first three rounds. Fingers crossed.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
DJ Higgins
Club Player

SMS wrote:2013 to 2016 drafts

And laughable we DONT TAKE BONT because of injury rumours yet SPEND EVERYTHING ON A FAT DIABETIC!?!?!?!

Billings over Bontempelli - nice school boy over 194cm god. Safe decision wont be horrible but wtf.
Long over S.Bolton - why? Why??? Bolton faster more skilled elite in every way. Was a gift at 25 and we didnt take it.
Lonie over Daniel - yes daniel shorter but HAVE A LOOK HE HAS WEIGHT and can kick long distance. Ffs they were even but its clear who had the afl body and who didnt and couldnt ever.

GEARY. AUSTIN. WEBSTER
PETRACCA. BRUCE. ACRES

LONGER. STEVEN. ROSS
SMS some good points but hind sight is 20/20. If all their tips had come off we would be singing their praises.
We got Paddy because Roo was going and it was a knee jerk reaction but I would have preferred Petracca if I gave it more thought at the time as our engine room was not great adn still lacks pace.
Dunstan/Merett a bit of a tough one to say who looked better at the time. Billings & Bont can both be elite so either/or there and I disagree regarding Carlisle. He is our Rock at the back and can swing forward to get goals. Watch him get better this year as well now he has played a year and has another preseason under his belt
Long, Goddard & Lonie were not good picks right now but they can still turn it around but looks a big ask. Long hasn't shown a lot so far so he needs to up his game this year, Goddard was too big and slow last season and that was at Sandy but if he trims down he may get his speed back and Lonie has all the skills but gets manhandled a lot where to appears certain players run at him rather than try to dodge him.

takeaway
Club Player

GEARY. AUSTIN. WEBSTER
PETRACCA. BRUCE. ACRES

LONGER. STEVEN. ROSS
Supporters of every club in the AFL could do a post like this regarding their recruiting. We should have grabbed Peter Hudson when we already had other Tassie boys in Baldock and Stewart!! Why didn't other clubs draft Jack Steven/Gresham etc etc.

Who drafted Tom Boyd? Jack Watts? You could go on forever for any club.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

GEARY. AUSTIN. WEBSTER
    PETRACCA. BRUCE. ACRES

LONGER. STEVEN. ROSS
    Clubhouse leader for post of the year. Been saying it for years. Elshyte is shyte. What has Wayne Hughes done in the last two years? I know these things are easier to call in retrospect, but many of us wanted both Petracca and the Bont. Nicky Dal publicly begged us to take his cousin. Long over Bolton should've been the last straw. What do we need again? Oh that's right, flathead. Speed, skill and someone who can turn a defender inside out and knows where the goals are. SMS's speculative team would take the current team to the cleaners. Pleasing. Positive. The prosecution rests.

"I told you once."
    "No, you didn't."
    "Yes, I did."
    "No, it isn't."
    "No you haven't"
    "Oh shut up."
    takeaway
    Club Player

Ok, after reading some of the neggie meggie posts on here I am convinced we will only win 2 games for the year (beat North once and one fluke) and have No. 1 pick next year.

At least that will provide good material for the same neggies who can then carry on for another 3 years on how we stuffed up that pick.

Unbelievable.

Drake Huggins
    Club Player

takeaway wrote:Ok, after reading some of the neggie meggie posts on here I am convinced we will only win 2 games for the year (beat North once and one fluke) and have No. 1 pick next year.

At least that will provide good material for the same neggies who can then carry on for another 3 years on how we stuffed up that pick.

Unbelievable.
    I hear you takeaway, but gee we've stuffed up many of our early picks. We should be much better than we are. Nothing exceeds like incompetence.

"I told you once."
    "No, you didn't."
    "Yes, I did."
    "No, it isn't."
    "No you haven't"
    "Oh shut up."