Article on Saints talls and 1st JLT game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Article on Saints talls and 1st JLT game

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/whi ... 4z2k9.html

Not a bad piece for a change. Membrey is not really a true tall though...again! :D

Membrey, Paddy and Bruce can all be in the same side IMO.

Carlisle is very good at CHB, but there may be a battle brewing for that FB possie.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Article on Saints talls and 1st JLT game

Quite a reasonable article.

Though

The senior coach doesn't lack bravery.
After all he walked the Kokoda Trail with his family in the off-season having spent time in an ashram in India a year earlier.

Come on, that is just two holidays. Stuff that you do for fun, and to challenge yourself a bit. Hardly bravery tests, unless of course his family is the family from hell ;)

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:Quite a reasonable article.

Though

After all he walked the Kokoda Trail with his family in the off-season having spent time in an ashram in India a year earlier.

Come on, that is just two holidays. Stuff that you do for fun, and to challenge yourself a bit. Hardly bravery tests, unless of course his family is the family from hell ;)
True bravery and hero's...they don't really exist in AFL. Whilst I still admire their dedication, fitness levels, abilities, skills, etc., those involved in AFL are just well paid athletes and coaches.

That sort of stuff is reserved for people that actually fought on the Kokoda tracks or stormed the beaches of Normandy in WW2 for example. I think Richo would agree.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Drake Huggins
Club Player

The Milky Bar Kid walked the Kokoda track with his family, guides and pack carriers. My dear departed father in law walked it as a 19 year old with 6 weeks of training under his belt. Surrounded by other s*** scared kids, dodging bullets, mines, grenades and a fanatical opponent. Yep, the Milky Bar Kid is tough and strong..........

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

personally I think he would have to be reasonably brave to take the job of head coach at stkilda

Seeya
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:personally I think he would have to be reasonably brave to take the job of head coach at stkilda
Now we are talking ;)

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:

Though

True bravery and hero's...they don't really exist in AFL. Whilst I still admire their dedication, fitness levels, abilities, skills, etc., those involved in AFL are just well paid athletes and coaches.

That sort of stuff is reserved for people that actually fought on the Kokoda tracks or stormed the beaches of Normandy in WW2 for example. I think Richo would agree.
That’s a bit rough.

You need balls to play AFL. Just ask Neil Sachse or Tom Lonergan

It’s a stupid and meaningless analogy.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Though

Haha. what an idiot journo. maybe from the 'participation award for everyone' generation? richo i'm sure would be cringing himself at that statement.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:

Though

Haha. what an idiot journo. maybe from the 'participation award for everyone' generation? richo i'm sure would be cringing himself at that statement.
He does lack bravery in picking the side.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

In 1942, snipers where the greatest danger you faced on the Kokoda trail.

In 2018, snipers ARE the greatest danger you face in you coach StKilda!

Saint supporter since '62
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

In 1942, snipers where the greatest danger you faced on the Kokoda trail.

Saint supporter since '62
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:

Though

That’s a bit rough.

Not really.

AFL footballers are not real hero's. They're superstar athletes that play sport for a living and get paid very well for it.

Yeah, sure, plenty are brave players and have copped some horrific injuries, but I can't stand when journo's call them heros and the like. Its not life and death out there.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

Trev from the Bush wrote:In 1942, snipers where the greatest danger you faced on the Kokoda trail.

Repeat that one at the local RSL on a Friday night Trev. See how go. Don't ever equate the two. If you can't bear criticism of our mediocrely performed coach, they seek out the help of a therapist. Soft as it comes.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:

Though

That’s a bit rough.

Not really.

AFL footballers are not real hero's. They're superstar athletes that play sport for a living and get paid very well for it.

Yeah, sure, plenty are brave players and have copped some horrific injuries, but I can't stand when journo's call them heros and the like. Its not life and death out there.
A hero is a hero; it depends on the situation. It doesn’t need to be life or death.

Oxford dictionary defines hero as a person who is admired for their courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities.

Roo was a hero in the 2009 Prelim as far as I’m concerned.

Agree that comparing football to war is stupid.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:

Though

That’s a bit rough.

Not really.

A hero is a hero; it depends on the situation. It doesn’t need to be life or death.

Oxford dictionary defines hero as a person who is admired for their courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities.

Not just comparing war to football only. Its alot of different areas in life - military, fireys, coppers, paramedics, etc. that have done extraordinary things in the face of danger and adversity. They are real people actually putting their lives on the front lines every day in real world dangerous situations. I'm sure 99.9% of AFL footballers wouldn't put themselves in the same category.

Comparing the people really. As I said, I don't classify top class sports people as heroes but I still admire everything they do and can do. That is my opinion.

KingSaint
Club Player

Drake Huggins wrote:
Trev from the Bush wrote:In 1942, snipers where the greatest danger you faced on the Kokoda trail.

Repeat that one at the local RSL on a Friday night Trev. See how go. Don't ever equate the two. If you can't bear criticism of our mediocrely performed coach, they seek out the help of a therapist. Soft as it comes.
Nah...every RSL and Mess I've been in would have thought this hilarious.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:

Though

That’s a bit rough.

Not really.

Not just comparing war to football only. Its alot of different areas in life - military, fireys, coppers, paramedics, etc. that have done extraordinary things in the face of danger and adversity. They are real people actually putting their lives on the front lines every day in real world dangerous situations. I'm sure 99.9% of AFL footballers wouldn't put themselves in the same category.

Comparing the people really. As I said, I don't classify top class sports people as heroes but I still admire everything they do and can do. That is my opinion.
Comparing domains is a meaningless comparison.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:

Though

That’s a bit rough.

Not really.

Comparing domains is a fallacy and it is a meaningless comparison.