Roo’s comment re Forward Structure

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

loris
Saintsational Legend

Roo’s comment re Forward Structure

Anyone notice his comment on Fox coverage that Saints have been practising all off season only for having two talls in Forward area. He said Membrey picks himself as best forward. He then said it will be a raffle between Paddy, Bruce, Battle, Marshall. Has he let it slip Saints won’t be looking at 3 talls in Forward line this year very often?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Roo’s comment re Forward Structure

Because the reigning premiers had only one tall forward much of last year - two at most - that's now the only way you can do it?

I'd rather we set our own trends than follow what others are doing. The forward line didn't function tonight. Maybe it needed the extra tall.

I'd have moved Acres out of defence, where he was putrid.

shrodes
SS Life Member

Thought he said it depends on opposition structure. Makes sense, there's certain teams who will burn you if you're too tall up forward and other teams that can be exploited. I expect we'll see a mix of 2 and 3 tall structure.

barneyboyz
Club Player

shrodes wrote:Thought he said it depends on opposition structure. Makes sense, there's certain teams who will burn you if you're too tall up forward and other teams that can be exploited. I expect we'll see a mix of 2 and 3 tall structure.
Carlton's tall structure beat us at both ends last night, which just shows that they need to be mobile, if tall

Happened plenty last year that Geary finds himself defending a tall. Happened last night too, why???

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Pretty sure we'll always play 3 tall forwards, with 2 in F50 and one venturing further up the ground...Membrey was brilliant doing this a few times late last year, but unfortunately, is also the best man to have the ball at the end of the chain. Hopefully Paddy with be the receiver this year.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Why is Membrey considered a tall forward. He plays taller than he is 188cms but is a mobile medium sized player in the same mould as Hamill was. IMO Bruce & Paddy have to play
as the two main tall marking targets and allow Membrey to patrol the ground and not be matched with the oppositions taller defenders. Membrey struggles when the opposition play a taller stronger opponent on him.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote:Why is Membrey considered a tall forward. He plays taller than he is 188cms but is a mobile medium sized player in the same mould as Hamill was. IMO Bruce & Paddy have to play
as the two main tall marking targets and allow Membrey to patrol the ground and not be matched with the oppositions taller defenders. Membrey struggles when the opposition play a taller stronger opponent on him.
Beats me.

Membrey is not a "tall forward".

He plays the "third tall" which is not actually a tall. ie Hamill, Tom Lynch at Adelaide etc.

On Membrey:

IMO is arguably the best reader and judge of the ball in flight in the AFL (and I could add with the stupid bomb it long philosophy under Richo it is a very necessary skill!!!). This combined with his outstanding vertical leap often allows him to outmark taller opponents.

Having said that I would never want to see him as our number 1 "tall" forward when he will then be matched with the opposition best mobile key tall defender.

He can play as the second tall to a genuine key forward, or as the "third tall" to two key forwards if at least one of them is very mobile which Bruce is.

This season will probably continue to see the trend of having big mids push forward (ie Cripps, Danger, Bont, Dusty, Fyfe)making the need for two genuine big forwards redundant provided you have such a player. Acres could be such, but that is a still "could be" at this stage.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote:Why is Membrey considered a tall forward. He plays taller than he is 188cms but is a mobile medium sized player in the same mould as Hamill was. IMO Bruce & Paddy have to play

I agree. None of them are really lumbering types, useless when the ball hits the ground.

I wouldn't worry about last night too much. Carlton jumped us at their home ground with the aid of a five-goal wind. A start like that is hard to recover from, but we nearly did.

the dome
Club Player

Gary Lyon re Forward Structure

A few sainters probably heard G. Lyon discussing the Saints fwd. structure this morning (Thur) on SEN.
Well he carried on a bit about the inherent problem of St.Kilda having 4 big fellas up front - I took that to mean available, Paddy, Bruchie, Battle & Members. Having all of them in contention seemed a bad move in Lyon's eyes.
But I couldn't help wondering if this was just an inflated drama in Gary's mind to bump up the ratings ?
Unlike Gary I couldn't see the problem with keeping Paddy along with Bruce on the list a while longer as well as keeping Battle somewhat in the frame & with enough time for him to grow into what we all hope. As Rooey said Members picks himself which in Gary's mind means we only have room for one other fwd. tall or maybe 2 more if we stretch the fwd. stocks. Post Rooey I couldn't see us just dumping one of those 3 (Paddy, Bruchie, Battle) just to make one more space on the overall list. Another voice in my head quipped 'what if one goes down to a terrible injury etc. etc. Maybe AR knows what Gary is saying but prefers the conservative approach of not closing the door too early on this young mob of fwds ?
Anyone agree with Gary Lyon ?

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gary Lyon re Forward Structure

the dome wrote:A few sainters probably heard G. Lyon discussing the Saints fwd. structure this morning (Thur) on SEN.
Well he carried on a bit about the inherent problem of St.Kilda having 4 big fellas up front - I took that to mean available, Paddy, Bruchie, Battle & Members. Having all of them in contention seemed a bad move in Lyon's eyes.
But I couldn't help wondering if this was just an inflated drama in Gary's mind to bump up the ratings ?
Unlike Gary I couldn't see the problem with keeping Paddy along with Bruce on the list a while longer as well as keeping Battle somewhat in the frame & with enough time for him to grow into what we all hope. As Rooey said Members picks himself which in Gary's mind means we only have room for one other fwd. tall or maybe 2 more if we stretch the fwd. stocks. Post Rooey I couldn't see us just dumping one of those 3 (Paddy, Bruchie, Battle) just to make one more space on the overall list. Another voice in my head quipped 'what if one goes down to a terrible injury etc. etc. Maybe AR knows what Gary is saying but prefers the conservative approach of not closing the door too early on this young mob of fwds ?
Anyone agree with Gary Lyon ?
No.

We can play with Bruce, Membrey & McCartin. We need better delivery into the forward line though - and better kicking for goal.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Looks like Richo is still relying on the blind long mongrel to the fwd line to create a chaos goal.
Hasn't worked well in the past but he is persisting with this tactic. For better or worse. Death or glory.

the dome
Club Player

Re: Gary Lyon re Forward Structure

Anyone agree with Gary Lyon ?[/quote]
No.

Glad to hear that. :)

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Lyon's a boat anchor.