5 main positives from JLT1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

5 main positives from JLT1

1) Coffield very good
2) Clark is all class and looks the goods
3) Jack Steven fit and got plenty of ball
4) Armo is back fit and got plenty of the ball
5) Paddy played a good game

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Trump

Re: 5 main positives from JLT1

Yep agree. Clark looks really good.
But ffs we got problems aswel. Like carlton have gone past us on their rebuild and we been going longer.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

That was pretty much my thoughts too on the most positive aspects of the game tonight, though I will add one more.

The other real positive I thought was Savage's strong form where he continued on from his very good form of late last year where he was one of our best players in that period. Who knows, "Steak Knives" may well turn out to the best part of the Big M trade.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Trump wrote:Yep agree. Clark looks really good.
But ffs we got problems aswel. Like carlton have gone past us on their rebuild and we been going longer.
Its just a praccie game played at their training ground. Wouldn't say it shows anything tbh about rebuilds, who is better, etc. Saints need to work on some things but its a whole different world come Rd 1 - the real stuff!

Remember the Saints smashed Port in the first half in the first JLT game last year and made them look ordinary. Guess what...they made the top 8.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:That was pretty much my thoughts too on the most positive aspects of the game tonight, though I will add one more.

The other real positive I thought was Savage's strong form where he continued on from his very good form of late last year where he was one of our best players in that period. Who knows, "Steak Knives" may well turn out to the best part of the Big M trade.
Agreed. Like Savage and have always defended him.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Oh, and hounourable mention to Dunstan.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Its been a long time since I have been so excited about two first year players. 32 disposals and 2 goals from 19 year olds in their first senior hitouts, plus the composure, disposal accuracy, run and carry and commitment to the contest. They both must be looked at for round 1. If I was Gilbo, Newnes, Weller i would be nervous about my position in the side

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

If you don't have time to watch the whole game, watch for a minute from about 4 minutes left in the third quarter. Coffield and Clark both did something special and looked so composed while doing it. It was hardness at the contest and a bit of class from both of them.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:Its been a long time since I have been so excited about two first year players. 32 disposals and 2 goals from 19 year olds in their first senior hitouts, plus the composure, disposal accuracy, run and carry and commitment to the contest. They both must be looked at for round 1.
Snap! I was literally just thinking of when I have been so impressed with two "kids" in their first real hitout in the one game for us.

In fact I cannot really think of any two.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

there were some positives tonight Clark and Coffield look like they will be in the team fairly soon, Paddy was good tonight, Armo looks good, Savage is looking ready to step up. Now if we can only learn to kick straight

congorozides
Club Player

Clark and Coffield. Boy oh boy. Both can really play. Lock em in.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

This may be silly but I’m really glad that Paddy played out the game without a head injury

Drake Huggins
Club Player

The milky bar kid can't coach. That much has been obvious for 5 years. Pleasing.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
SuperDuper
Club Player

BringBackMadDog wrote:Its been a long time since I have been so excited about two first year players. 32 disposals and 2 goals from 19 year olds in their first senior hitouts, plus the composure, disposal accuracy, run and carry and commitment to the contest. They both must be looked at for round 1. If I was Gilbo, Newnes, Weller i would be nervous about my position in the side
pretty sure they are both 18 year olds

axcellence
Club Player

Carlton 35 vs Essendon 95 at Ikon Park - 2016 pre season

Final afl ladder 2016 . Essendon 3 games (wooden spoon)and Carlton 7 games.

Pre season games are irrelevant.

Think how well they are coping without Roo. And Bruce will be back as well...

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:The milky bar kid can't coach. That much has been obvious for 5 years. Pleasing.
Has Numpty opened another account? Every post seems to be the same.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
takeaway
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote:The milky bar kid can't coach. That much has been obvious for 5 years. Pleasing.
Has Numpty opened another account? Every post seems to be the same.
Too many milky bars - causes pertinacity. Hopefully ol' DH will settle down when the real football starts.

smasherini
Club Player

Wrapped with the new boys.Seems the recruiters have done really well.
Coffield,a very solid player who just went about his business getting the job done.
Clarke, much more impressive than the last Clarke we used a high pick on.This boy looks very clean and has some tricks.Very impressive

diddley
Club Player

The thing I was most impressed about with Coffield and Clark is that they seemed to have all the time in the world to make decisions, especially in a game where everyone seemed to be making rushed and clumsy disposals. Something I have been wanting for soooo long in this team.

SoopaSaint
Club Player

Five positives:
1) Coffield IS very good
2) Clark IS very good
3) Jack Steven seems fit again
4) Armo is back fit and rusty
5) Paddy played and took two marks
Red Flags:
1) Coach HAS to be on notice
2) Compared with opposition - NO obvious game plan (after 5 years!)
3) Compared with opposition - are we slow or are they fit? IF so - why?
4) Kicking coach Dixon has failed - invest his wage elsewhere
5) Regardless of what AFL tells people to say - Ikon Park is NOT up to modern standards for any sports

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Plenty of Positives:
1. Coffield and Hunter look like players
2. Paddy kicked goals and got his hand on the ball - needs it for confidence
3. Steven fit
4. Armo got through a game albeit rusty
5. Gresch will be very good this year, will accumulate a bit more and take next step to genuine B grader

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Positives:
1. Clark and Coffield - as top 10 picks there's no doubt they can play footy, but their ability to get involved in the contest and show composure was pleasing.
2. Paddy - survived the game, got on the end of a few. Will quickly become a real focal point of our attack, just has that presence about him.
3. Armo and Steven - both look fit and in reasonable touch. Need both to have big years if we are to mount a charge.

Negatives:
1. Weller - didn't have much impact, and then looked to reinjure his ankle, and finished the night in a tracksuit.
2. Longer - got towelled up by Pizza Face
3. Ben Long & Wright - bit opportunity to impress after big pre-seasons and had no impact at all. Didnt show any signs of any improvement.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

BringBackMadDog wrote:Its been a long time since I have been so excited about two first year players. 32 disposals and 2 goals from 19 year olds in their first senior hitouts, plus the composure, disposal accuracy, run and carry and commitment to the contest. They both must be looked at for round 1. If I was Gilbo, Newnes, Weller i would be nervous about my position in the side
Newnes. My God. Possibly the most overrated C grader we have. His kicking efficiency is beyond deplorable and to have him as a leader is right up there with Geary as Captain. Both excellent runners ... but vile exponents of basic skills. And yet Gilbert has got a 10 yr career out of being a butcher. As for Weller - there’s a reason GCS got rid of him.

Play the draftees - we’re kidding ourselves if that JLT wasn’t a portent of things to come so we might as well develop. We’re not close to the 8.

And how we’ve given our clueless coach an extension is beyond me. I mean - was he likely to be poached by another club? Spare me

Go you red, black & white warriors
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Don't give a toss about the result. As I thought, Carlton seem to be geared to get early results (as we did in 2014/2015), in order to sell memberships in a year when they are unlikely to contend for Finals. The Coaches reflected this, despite a poor first quarter Richo was relaxed and comfortable, contrast that with Boulton who was in high stress and mandhandling his phone in the third when we got on top.

There were plenty of positives in what was very much a scratch match.

The two draftees were good and will be in the mix for Round 1. Clark in particular was really good and looked comfortable, he will probably play Round 1. Coffield also was good, although not as comfortable as Clark and will push for selection. It appears we did well with our first 2 draft picks, both are the sort of players we needed.

Big Paddy showed a bit, I would rate his game as very decent. He can go a lot better, yet he presented as an aerial threat, worked hard, kicked a couple and could have easily kicked 4 or 5. He's looking a bit bigger this year and should become a monster as he grows. He just needs a bit more confidence and mongrel. Tony Lockett had a callous disregard for the well being of anyone between him and the ball, Paddy needs to bring some of that and he'll be devastating.

Luke Dunstan has gone up another level, he is fitter, stronger and he's not just a grunt insider.

Jack Steven is back in town and his zip is back.

Shane Savage is in great form and Jake Carlisle is an utter gun, worth everything we traded for him.

Although its a bit early to call, our kicking appears to have improved. They were utterly diabolical conditions for kicking last night, yet in the circumstances our field kicking wasn't too bad and I noticed improvement in set shots. Everyone that lined up for goal appeared to be relaxed and following a routine.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:Jake Carlisle is an utter gun, worth everything we traded for him.
What did we trade for him, Parish or Francis, or was it nothing because we got Gresham as we wanted anyway!
Please say that you don't think he was worth nothing - lol!!!
Linton Lodger wrote:Everyone that lined up for goal appeared to be relaxed and following a routine.
Except Gresh - he looked so uncomfortable and had a horid approach to his set shot.
Linton Lodger wrote:They were utterly diabolical conditions for kicking last night
Why would we be forced to play a game at Carltons home ground, you know the one they train at in windy conditions with a lack of lights - no wonder they handled the wind better.

I liked what I saw last night, hated the fade outs, hated the ease that Carlton went from one end to the other, hated that Paddy bleeds but does not get a free whereas they just needed to be touched to get one, but loved Paddy presenting, Hunters attack on the ball etc etc etc as above

I think there is plenty to look forward to.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!