Article in today's Australian (firewall warning)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Article in today's Australian (firewall warning)

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/ ... ccf6006a70
If middling key defender Nathan Brown can finish top 10 in St Kilda’s best-and-fairest count last year, what does that say about the state of their list?

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Re: Article in today's Australian (firewall warning)

Con Gorozidis wrote:https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/ ... ccf6006a70
If middling key defender Nathan Brown can finish top 10 in St Kilda’s best-and-fairest count last year, what does that say about the state of their list?
I like Brown. He can nullify gorillas and is a massive unit. Plain and simple. Its good to have expierenced blokes and leaders around the club like him.

But I think Goddard, Austin and Claravino will take his spot eventually. If they do, then Brown is a good backup until he retires.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

I just love how people write these articles based on a preconceived 3-2-1 system. Brown did 'exactly what the coaches wanted' most of the games he played in - which means he scores highly and consistently. It does not mean he is in the 10 best players on the team, it just means that he did what he was employed to do - week in week out.

It is not a Brownlow, where stand out games in 10 games can clinch it for you - it is a more accurate representation of 'Clubmen' as opposed to 'Superstars'

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Stian
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote:I just love how people write these articles based on a preconceived 3-2-1 system. Brown did 'exactly what the coaches wanted' most of the games he played in - which means he scores highly and consistently. It does not mean he is in the 10 best players on the team, it just means that he did what he was employed to do - week in week out.

It is not a Brownlow, where stand out games in 10 games can clinch it for you - it is a more accurate representation of 'Clubmen' as opposed to 'Superstars'
Yep, +1. Very well put.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

To put it in perspective, Jack Steele finished 18th after averaging 22 possessions per game over 20 matches. He also laid 64 more tackles than anyone else. All Brown finishing 10th shows is that there are very different criterion for measuring value to the team. Brown averaged about 5 touches per game, but in the main, nufflified his opponents. What does it say about the strength of our list that one of our most promising and well performed youngsters could only manage to finish 18th?

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
KingSaint
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/ ... ccf6006a70
I think it says more about the poor quality of journalism we have to endure. I don't know who the author of that article is...but they seem to lack any understanding of how B&Fs are conducted.

I don't have any problem with anyones rating of the quality of our list...opinions are jyst that. But I would hope an article in a major daily newspaper would provide much better insight.

congorozides
Club Player

Maybe when you havent made finals in 7 years....

I dunno....

Maybe it does mean your list is actually s***?

How many years do you need to miss finals before you think - hang on a second here - maybe this list is s***....?

8 years? 9 years. A decade?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote:Maybe when you havent made finals in 7 years....

I dunno....

How many years do you need to miss finals before you think - hang on a second here - maybe this list is s***....?

I heard a rumour we've actually changed our list considerably over the last 8 years.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

I dunno....

I didn't know Beau Wilkes played last night.

stonecold
SS Life Member

The Australian is still operating, wow, there's a big surprise!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:

I dunno....

He may as well. The point is that there's little to be gained if you are turning over the list and getting like for like.

What happened to Luke Delaney?? He finished top 5 in the 2014 best and fairest and yet after a couple of seasons, the penny dropped. FFS get the list right and finals will come.

We knew weren't going up the ladder with players like Delaney, and then for some strange reason based on hope and based on having to replace Dempster and Fisher Richo decides to top up as if we are ready to challenge for a premiership.

Brown also makes crucial errors at times like a first year player and his lack of possessions and inability to impact packs, negates most other aspects that people see as positives imo. If peoples argument is that Brown is doing his job and he 'deserves' to finish top 10 in the best and fairest then I wouldn't call you one-eyed; I'd call you blind!!

Drake Huggins
Club Player

Brown, like Longer, is a liability in the modern game. If you can't run, spread and win your own ball, or at least find it on the outside, you belong in the VFL. The milky bar kid would love these guys because they reflect his own mediocrity as a player and give him what he thinks are "safe" options.

Still, I have to hand it to him. How do you get a two year extension(another three years in charge) having taken the team backwards? It is a testament to his persuasive ability with admisistrators, if not players. Perhaps it's that monotonous tone and repeated mantra of familiar cliches that lulls the others into a hypnotic trance, rendering them vulnerable to his drivel. I can only imagine how anesthetised the playing group must be after 5 years of that torture. Pleasing. Positive. You are under my control!

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Scollop wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:

I dunno....

He may as well. The point is that there's little to be gained if you are turning over the list and getting like for like.

What happened to Luke Delaney?? He finished top 5 in the 2014 best and fairest and yet after a couple of seasons, the penny dropped. FFS get the list right and finals will come.

We knew weren't going up the ladder with players like Delaney, and then for some strange reason based on hope and based on having to replace Dempster and Fisher Richo decides to top up as if we are ready to challenge for a premiership.

Brown also makes crucial errors at times like a first year player and his lack of possessions and inability to impact packs, negates most other aspects that people see as positives imo. If peoples argument is that Brown is doing his job and he 'deserves' to finish top 10 in the best and fairest then I wouldn't call you one-eyed; I'd call you blind!!
Brown is a stop gap player to fill a role until one of our key position kids are ready to take over. Chances are one of them will go past him this season. With Dempster’s sudden retirement at the start of last season, It was pretty handy to have him in the end.

It’s not Brown’s fault we didn’t capitalise on momentum and kick straight last season. That cost the team several games that would have got the club into September. The list is much healthier than where it was 5 years ago.
Last edited by prwilkinson on Mon 05 Mar 2018 2:22pm, edited 2 times in total.

barneyboyz
Club Player

Drake Huggins wrote:Brown, like Longer, is a liability in the modern game. If you can't run, spread and win your own ball, or at least find it on the outside, you belong in the VFL. The milky bar kid would love these guys because they reflect his own mediocrity as a player and give him what he thinks are "safe" options.

Still, I have to hand it to him. How do you get a two year extension(another three years in charge) having taken the team backwards? It is a testament to his persuasive ability with admisistrators, if not players. Perhaps it's that monotonous tone and repeated mantra of familiar cliches that lulls the others into a hypnotic trance, rendering them vulnerable to his drivel. I can only imagine how anesthetised the playing group must be after 5 years of that torture. Pleasing. Positive. You are under my control!
I would say locking your full back and ruckman in each week simply based on last weeks performance is the liability. We did not have suitable replacements for them last year though, so I give AR some space there. If it keeps going this year, then....

BTW. do you have something personal against Alan? cause this detracts from some pretty good stuff you otherwise write, from the readers perspective that is.

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink: