I want to be excited about the season.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Re: I want to be excited about the season.

Keep faith Saints fans. I honestly believe we will surprise alot of people (including ourselves) and several players will take a big step that are around the 21-23 year old mark. We have a good list. We will still win 11-12 games at a minimum. If we win the first 2 games (which we should comfortably) then it could setup the season and build confidence. Confidence is a massive thing and it will snowball into success.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
The Fireman wrote:Well King I was there during the bad times at moorabbin but I stuck with it, season after s*** season then the losing GF's, member for 35 0dd years, but now after seeing Footscray and Richmond bob I'm over it, I have moved interstate without worrying about missing going to the games, I always watch the Saints on Fox and when I visit melb if there is a game on and if I can I make it I will, but the care factor has diminished, never thought it would but they have worn me down and now we are going into another season with less hope than that of previous years. previous poster said get a rusty razor blade.. :roll: anyway the new supporters can put on the rose coloured glasses I once had and we can all move on.

Cheers

and for the billionth vain time..."Go Saints"
Good luck interstate buddy, but just remember you are a Victorian always!

Also pleased to see I’m not off on a tangent. I made the biggest donation of my life (by a mile) towards the new Moorabbin and as yet haven’t been invited for a tour of the complex. So not only am I a bit peeved at the outlook for this year but the club a little itself. It’s not a case of entitlement, just what was promised and not delivered.
thanks mate and yes always a victorian...I have to talk slower up here :)

On a side note..we cover every side in our press...not here.

Saint 58
Club Player

KingSaint wrote:Sheesh...i hope none of you people are motivational speakers or responsible for provididing any sort of inspiration.

Haven't played a single game yet and you are already running around moaning like a bunch of miserable sods.

I have no idea how the Saints will go this year...but i shall enjoy the ride.

If you don't want to be a member...then don't be a member. Member since 2004? Christ you are spoilt...try being a member throughout the 1980s when the club nearly folded.

We are here to support the foitball club...through times and bad...if you are not up to it...sobeit...go follow the Storm.
+1
I've been a member for 48 years & I'm still waiting, living in hope every year
The 80's were Hell on Earth, just started work & I dreaded going to work on Monday !
If we won a game it was like winning a GF

BACK THE TEAM EVERYONE !
Go Saints !!

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

I think the club could engage its members and supporters better. We wouldnt be in the top 8 as far as those stakes go.
Even simple stuff like a big screen for interstate games can foster a club feel that helps sustain everyone while times are not so good.
Moving back to Moorabbin is a prime oppotunity.
I dont have the answers.

saint-stu
Club Player

The saints must win one eventually. I just hope I'm still alive to see it. In the mean time I'm going to enjoy watching them play.

I think the big question mark is can you go all the way without a genuine elite superstar? We have always had a few superstars on the team, but usually a weak bottom few. We now have loads of good players and plenty in reserve too, and no really weak players should be selected. Having the elite top few and weak bottom few in the past has got us agonisingly close, but still not enough.

So how will we go this year? I think the saints will do well and really should make the top 8. The team is just about to enter their peak window and with recent recruiting, have plenty of good youngsters to keep it going for many years. I expect to see us finally land an elite free agent at the end of the year after making the finals and giving it a good crack. Then look out in 2019 and beyond!

1ac46a38
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Even in the horror seasons there will always be something to excite a true supporter!

This year I expect most excitement from:
-Paddy playing more consecutive uninjured than ever before.
_Acres and Dunstan doing more of what we know they're capable of.
-New draftees showing glimpses.
-A coherent game plan starting to take shape.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote:Even in the horror seasons there will always be something to excite a true supporter!

This year I expect most excitement from:
-Paddy playing more consecutive uninjured than ever before.
_Acres and Dunstan doing more of what we know they're capable of.
-New draftees showing glimpses.
-A coherent game plan starting to take shape.
Agree completely. There is good and bad in each season and this year will dish up the same. Need to recognise the issues and fix the problems and recognise the successes and praise them. two players in the Australian squad is great turn around and Sinclair being classed as elite is awesome. Really happy about that. We have a lot of potential but it is time for that to change to reality for certain players and hopefully our young guys will start pushing out some players that just aren't AFL level out.

I don't think we are ready for finals this year but can't wait to watch us play all the same. JLT Carlton game will be interesting for so many reasons this week and I am hoping for some young guys to stand out

BadRossco
Club Player

Although I believe we will get a glimpse of our future I think finals are probably two years away. A lot of teams are further down the track than us so will not be surprised if we drop a position or two on the ladder before beginning a rise.
How far we go will be helped by some inspired recruiting which may have already started. Stick thick as we may go back a little but will certainly rise again.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

You’ll get a pretty good look on Wednesday. Putting out a very strong team.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Can't wait for the season to start, I'm pumped just to go watch the boys play on Wednesday night, this is my 40th year as a saints member and I have been going to games since '72. Even in the darkest of dark days in the 80's I couldnt wait for footy season to start, there has always been something to look forward to, watch the great Trevor Barker taking specky after specky, Big Carl, Robby Muir, Joffa Cunningham and Sidebottom belting the living suitcase out of opposition, watching Plugger and Winmar begin their careers and then become legends. Making finals for the first time in a long time in the 90's, then becoming a force in the 2000's.

I have loved the saints my whole life and will always look forward to the beginning of a season with blind optimism come what may. GO YOU MIGHTY SAINTS (F#ck the rest of em!!)

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:You’ll get a pretty good look on Wednesday. Putting out a very strong team.
The AFL have forced this due to only 2 JLT’s to facilitate AFLX garbage.

Have the Saints scheduled an extra intra club to take this (stupid) change into account?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BazzaBreen66
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote:
KingSaint wrote:Whoops...sorry about the double entry.
That's okay. AS I understand it - most people who have seen The Kings Speech have seen it twice.
Actually I've seen it more than twice.. good movie

And yes I've followed/member of the saints since the dim dark 70's ... Just hope that this year is the year.. if not, there's always next year....

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

tony74 wrote:You’ll get a pretty good look on Wednesday. Putting out a very strong team.
Thanks Tony. Looking forward to it.

There was a smallish article in the HS today saying the Saints will put out a good team. Armitage and Paddy (who is flying apparantly) included plus maybe Clarke and Coffield. Billings and Webster will play in the 2nd JLT game due to minor injuries.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

BringBackMadDog wrote:Can't wait for the season to start, I'm pumped just to go watch the boys play on Wednesday night, this is my 40th year as a saints member and I have been going to games since '72. Even in the darkest of dark days in the 80's I couldnt wait for footy season to start, there has always been something to look forward to, watch the great Trevor Barker taking specky after specky, Big Carl, Robby Muir, Joffa Cunningham and Sidebottom belting the living suitcase out of opposition, watching Plugger and Winmar begin their careers and then become legends. Making finals for the first time in a long time in the 90's, then becoming a force in the 2000's.

I have loved the saints my whole life and will always look forward to the beginning of a season with blind optimism come what may. GO YOU MIGHTY SAINTS (F#ck the rest of em!!)
Love the passion. I will always follow the Saints year in and year out no matter what too. I've never been a soft bandwagon supporter.

Whilst I wish the Saints were a top 8 side every year and winning a flag every 10 or 15 years it will probably never happen. Its the reality of following any sports side in any code. The ups and downs are big and often. I'll keep following every game (which is just what it is...a game set apart from the real world) no matter the prospects.

outside66
Club Player

I'm pumped. I think that we are much better prepared to execute the gameplan we produced against Richmond in Maddies Match on a more consistent basis. That night was Richo's vision on how he wants us to play and if we pull that off more often than not, then we are going to be a hard team to beat. I think we have a strong list who are all ready to improve. I can't wait to watch them on Wednesday!

saint64
Club Player

I'm feeling up-beat and just can't wait for it all to start again. We were disappointing last year, but this year a lot of our young talent is hitting the right age bracket for playing their best footy. I have been a fanatical supporter since the early-mid seventies but only saw the Saints play live twice (one a practice match and the other for premiership points) before moving to WA from Tassie in 1991.
Bring it on!

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I’m positive about this season, winning in rounds 1 and 2 against Brisbane and North is imperative. If/when that happens I’m sure guys like Acres, Dunstan, Billings, Gresham and Membrey would of shown us all enough to get excited

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Totally agree with the bulk of the comments.

I want to be fired up but there's just nothing on our list that's got me jumping right now. Watching games at half-empty and a 100% sanitised Etihad just compounds it.

Feels like we're a middling club in almost every way. It's depressing.

I don't think anyone wants to post stuff like this. But it's getting harder and harder to go to games and get mixed up in the emotion of it all.

(If we had our own ground and identity I would feel completely different about this. I am just disenfranchised with the industry as a while...)

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Wabbit season?

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Duck Season

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Totally agree with the bulk of the comments.

I want to be fired up but there's just nothing on our list that's got me jumping right now. Watching games at half-empty and a 100% sanitised Etihad just compounds it.

I don't think anyone wants to post stuff like this. But it's getting harder and harder to go to games and get mixed up in the emotion of it all.

(If we had our own ground and identity I would feel completely different about this. I am just disenfranchised with the industry as a while...)
agree with all of that, I think some of it has to do with age...it takes a bit more to generate the interest. (success) ;)
Having the club built at Junction oval (or in that area) I think would have been a help, high profile and central to all supporters. The club needs to do a lot more to embrace the supporter base, buy a pub in town for a meeting place before games ?
there are smarter PR people out there than me but something needs to be done beside the onfield situation.

I will still watch every game... but to channel BB King...the thrill is gone.

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

Reckon we’ll take another step.

One or two games in September to look forward to.

outside66
Club Player

Come and sit in Aisle 29 - Level 1!

outside66
Club Player

Come and sit in Aisle 29 - Level 1!

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

evertonfc wrote:(If we had our own ground and identity I would feel completely different about this...)
This!

Plugger666 wrote:
The Fireman wrote:the JO is the GO
+3

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen: