I want to be excited about the season.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

outside66
Club Player

Re: I want to be excited about the season.

evertonfc wrote:Totally agree with the bulk of the comments.

I want to be fired up but there's just nothing on our list that's got me jumping right now. Watching games at half-empty and a 100% sanitised Etihad just compounds it.

Feels like we're a middling club in almost every way. It's depressing.

I don't think anyone wants to post stuff like this. But it's getting harder and harder to go to games and get mixed up in the emotion of it all.

(If we had our own ground and identity I would feel completely different about this. I am just disenfranchised with the industry as a while...)
Come and sit in Aisle 29 - Level 1!

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

evertonfc wrote:(If we had our own ground and identity I would feel completely different about this...)
This!

Plugger666 wrote:
The Fireman wrote:the JO is the GO
+3

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
DJ Higgins
Club Player

I want to be fired up but there's just nothing on our list that's got me jumping right now. Watching games at half-empty and a 100% sanitised Etihad just compounds it.

I don't think anyone wants to post stuff like this. But it's getting harder and harder to go to games and get mixed up in the emotion of it all.

(If we had our own ground and identity I would feel completely different about this. I am just disenfranchised with the industry as a while...)

Cheer up big fella. It's easy to go for a successful club, Saint's fans have been thru the wringer so many times and still come out smiling. :) It builds character.
I actually like going to Etihad. Easy to get to, roof closes when raining, feel close to the ground from the stand whats not to like (excluding food & drink costs) :evil: . Sure it is home to a few teams but it feels like our home games when we play away there.
Get to Princes Park on Wednesday mate and cheer the boys on and see some future stars first outings in our tri-colours

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

when i get served a slice of cake and they forget the cherry on top - i don't even notice. Cake tastes just as good, i just get that little bit less sweetener on top - keeps me keen for the next slice.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote:Cheer up big fella. It's easy to go for a successful club, Saint's fans have been thru the wringer so many times and still come out smiling. :) It builds character.
It's not even about that. I had an icky feeling in 2009-10 that the club was headed down the wrong path from an administration perspective and that it was losing a big part of its soul.

Much of that has come home to roost.
I actually like going to Etihad. Easy to get to, roof closes when raining, feel close to the ground from the stand whats not to like (excluding food & drink costs) :evil: . Sure it is home to a few teams but it feels like our home games when we play away there.
It's sort of true - getting in and out of Etihad is a breeze for me (live on west side). But it's not even that. I'd give anything for the feeling of going to Moorabbin...to our home. Just something that was ours. In the 2000s, Etihad felt great, not only because we were playing well/winning but it has a novelty value that has since worn off.

Yet I wouldn't miss a single game if we played at a revamped Moorabbin. Even games against Gold Coast would be spine-tingling.
Get to Princes Park on Wednesday mate and cheer the boys on and see some future stars first outings in our tri-colours
Are we the only sport in the world where you have to go to a rivals' ground to watch your team play? Sigh.

I know, I know. I'm grumpy...

When Moorabbin is up and running as a training venue, and the team starts to play better, I'm sure I'll feel better about it all. I just hate this nomadic feeling - it has compounded all the other lukewarm emotions, most notably my relative pessimism about the year ahead.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:

agree with all of that, I think some of it has to do with age...it takes a bit more to generate the interest. (success) ;)
Having the club built at Junction oval (or in that area) I think would have been a help, high profile and central to all supporters. The club needs to do a lot more to embrace the supporter base, buy a pub in town for a meeting place before games ?
there are smarter PR people out there than me but something needs to be done beside the onfield situation.

I will still watch every game... but to channel BB King...the thrill is gone.
Great Post Fireman.

We have completely underestimated the value of having a pre-game place to gather.

It's a fundamental part of the experience of watching sport all over the world.

It builds camaraderie, friendships, expectations and excitement. Whenever I go over to watch Everton play, there's about four or five different pubs that are JAMMED with supporters around Goodison Park. What a buzz it creates! Grab some beers, sing some songs...magnificent! Somewhat relatable to Richmond area and the vibe they have, which I love.

Without those natural advantages of pubs and bars nearby, I would suggest borrowing and adapting from the US idea of tailgating, and set up areas around Etihad where fans can congregate to do their own thing.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Ten Fourteen

I have been an avid reader of this forum for quite a few years and a Saints supporter for 45 but never post as I really have nothing of value to contribute, however I feel the same way as many here.
I just feel that the clubs efforts to change the culture and be an upstanding citizen has made us very "vanilla". I long for a little Stevie Baker or Milney contrversy that allowed us to circle the wagons, unite and be different to the rest of the competition. Sure we haven't had a lot of success but life was never dull as a Saints supporter. Now I feel it is and I too am struggling to get "up and about" for this season. Maybe I'm just getting old and living in Qld probably doesn't help either but I would love Richo to come out and publicly challenge some of our players, make wildly positive predictions on how we will go this year, tell us who are the breakout players are, challenge saints supporters to get to games and generally help us get excited. A video of 4 guys getting out of a helicopter doesn't do that for me.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Ten Fourteen wrote:I have been an avid reader of this forum for quite a few years and a Saints supporter for 45 but never post as I really have nothing of value to contribute, however I feel the same way as many here.
I just feel that the clubs efforts to change the culture and be an upstanding citizen has made us very "vanilla". I long for a little Stevie Baker or Milney contrversy that allowed us to circle the wagons, unite and be different to the rest of the competition. Sure we haven't had a lot of success but life was never dull as a Saints supporter. Now I feel it is and I too am struggling to get "up and about" for this season. Maybe I'm just getting old and living in Qld probably doesn't help either but I would love Richo to come out and publicly challenge some of our players, make wildly positive predictions on how we will go this year, tell us who are the breakout players are, challenge saints supporters to get to games and generally help us get excited. A video of 4 guys getting out of a helicopter doesn't do that for me.
well said.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

You’ll change your tune when we start winning consistently and making finals again

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Ten Fourteen wrote:I have been an avid reader of this forum for quite a few years and a Saints supporter for 45 but never post as I really have nothing of value to contribute, however I feel the same way as many here.
WTF???? So you want blokes who treat women like garbage, or get in a pub brawl, or set alight a midget or two?? I prefer to win footy games with a team that I can be proud of.

Ten Fourteen

Yeah, controversy was a poor choice of words. Meant more like "a cheeky edge" that made them so unpopular with opposing supporters. Definitely didn't mean to condone their past improper behaviour.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Ten Fourteen wrote:Yeah, controversy was a poor choice of words. Meant more like "a cheeky edge" that made them so unpopular with opposing supporters. Definitely didn't mean to condone their past improper behaviour.
I reckon the people running the Saints have a done a fantastic job the last few years. Things are stable and the Saints are better off field than they ever been in its entire history IMO. Not having any controversy is a good look for the club and it brings in more families, kids, women, a better reputation, members and sponsors dollars. Its a multi million business running an AFL club these days. In all seriousness, long gone are the days when your AFL club is full of pissheads, womanisers and late night disco runners. Its just the modern world of sport.

I love characters on the field too, but again...its a different world these days.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
WTF???? So you want blokes who treat women like garbage, or get in a pub brawl, or set alight a midget or two?? I prefer to win footy games with a team that I can be proud of.
bit of cognitive dissonance happening between your name and your post?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Horrifically boring era for the club,thank God for north otherwise we're the one.

The club has zero personality right now, it's worrying, the thing that kept us a float for so long was that passion. The last 9-10 years it's all but gone, and more so under this straight bat, cookie cutter, vanilla regime. The stkilda.f.c of today is now a by product of the pc mad world that has become, and now stuck in bland death valley. Is there a second coming of another Tony Lockett to save the club again , we wouldn't pick him if he was anyway..

Bring back the Lockett era
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
bit of cognitive dissonance happening between your name and your post?
Nice DS :lol:

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Some of these posts remind me of this scene.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

I blame that horrific dreary acoustic version of the club song they play before the game for this...makes me kinda stabby.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

SaintPav wrote:Some of these posts remind me of this scene.

really truly sp there's nothing here to remind you of that scene - but i'm all for chucking it up to remind us! :D

For mine, if the following players play to potential, we'll have plenty to get excited about:
Sinclair
Gresham
Acres
Dunstan
Carlisle

All very creative - and I think all capable of finding their inner mongrel too. And that's even without:
Paddy
Billings
Steven
Ross
Savage
Roberton
Membrey

Any of them also capable of being match-winners on their day. And that's still without the excitement we can expect from seeing our new young guns: Long, Clark, Coffield, Clavarino, Battle, Marshall, Connellan, etc.

Well - I didn't think I was very excited when I started this post - but guess what? Turns out I am!

shmic_s
Club Player

Definitely a little flat this season, but i think its more to do about the fact we are going to be missing one of the greatest centre half forwards and leaders that has ever played the game for the first time in over a decade.

I'm excited to see what this new group can do. Billings, Acres, McCartin. Hopefully they can surprise us.
Last edited by shmic_s on Wed 28 Feb 2018 5:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

barneyboyz
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote:Keep faith Saints fans. I honestly believe we will surprise alot of people (including ourselves) and several players will take a big step that are around the 21-23 year old mark. We have a good list. We will still win 11-12 games at a minimum. If we win the first 2 games (which we should comfortably) then it could setup the season and build confidence. Confidence is a massive thing and it will snowball into success.
Agree, we got done for the first use of the footy on many occasions last year, especially early season which sapped a lot of confidence.

I reckon most have got the "I wants" just about right. Me, I don't want to see "rabbits in headlights" type of stuff this season...ten minutes here and twenty minutes there cost us heaps. being able to adjust to differing situations is my biggie

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink: