I want to be excited about the season.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I want to be excited about the season.

I’ve haven’t felt this flat and disengaged in Feb for donkeys years.

Normally I’d be pumped. Sure the AFLX makes you wanna spew on Gilligan’s hair and turn to synchronised swimming but it’s not that.

Hope? What hope do we have apart from natural progression of the good kids and everyone stepping up to fill the Void Of Roo??

How big is the VOR in a motivational aspect re stepping up??

They are our hopes, but countered is all the duds/likely duds on our list. In reality, we need a very low injury rate to have a crack at the eight this year.

I’m trying to get excited like Con does, believe me!!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Re: I want to be excited about the season.

Yes
We definitely need a couple of our young players to become overnight superstars.
We've got plenty with potential but I've no confidence in any hitting the superstar bracket.

In red white and black from 73
axcellence
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:I’ve haven’t felt this flat and disengaged in Feb for donkeys years.

Normally I’d be pumped. Sure the AFLX makes you wanna spew on Gilligan’s hair and turn to synchronised swimming but it’s not that.

Hope? What hope do we have apart from natural progression of the good kids and everyone stepping up to fill the Void Of Roo??

They are our hopes, but countered is all the duds/likely duds on our list. In reality, we need a very low injury rate to have a crack at the eight this year.

Same... struggling to renew membership coz I just don't feel any strong emotion about it (member since 2004). My kids aren't interested in footy either...

axcellence
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:I’ve haven’t felt this flat and disengaged in Feb for donkeys years.

Same... struggling to renew membership coz I just don't feel any strong emotion about it (member since 2004). My kids aren't interested in footy either...

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

surely 2013,14, and 15 sucked more? Never a show, a wooden spoon, watched as our champs retired or left, had one dwarf clown coaching us and another one running around in flames. Or are we all just sick of the long wait?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

a reality thread...nice to see.

milney044
Club Player

For me it really hasn't helped having to watch the Dogs and the Tigers win one. You'd think watching teams who've had no recent success (or minimum success) like us would give me hope, but its actually had the opposite effect.
It just makes me feel like I'm going to witness every other team win a flag except my Saints. It kills me that these two premiership sides weren't even that great, yet when it was our turn our sides were packed with stars and we failed.
I feel like I'm going to watch the dees and the dons next and I'll still be waiting.
So yep, it's all a bit gloomy and i just can't see a light at the end of the tunnel. Here's hoping there's a spark somewhere we just haven't seen yet, ready to shine and surprise us all. We're going to need a few.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

I am feeling the same, but here's one thing Richmond have that we don't. Richmond has Martin, the Dogs Bontempelli, I struggle to find someone on our list who can turn a game. Didn't even watch the AFLX.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

I suggest that you all go and play with a rusty razor blade.

If you don't bleed to death, perhaps tetanus will put you out of your misery?

Saint supporter since '62
DJ Higgins
Club Player

I think like most people we were expecting to be better than what we are at present. We have been rebuilding for a while now and we haven't seen many great things in the passed few years. Too much faith out into players that didn't /haven't panned out.e.g. Goddard, Paddy, Freeman. Whatever the reason why they aren't good yet.

I don't feel bad that the Dogs won as they had a longer drought than ours and the Tigers have multiple elite players which we don't so they kind of deserved it more based on that. I am not big on sour grapes, well done Dogs and Tigers but its our time soon.

In saying that I know rose coloured glass wearers will say you can't be negative and this is our year but it is unlikely, but I'm looking forward to 2019 more than 2018.
Why?
* I expect some of our B graders to step up. Steele, Gresham, Billings (can't kick straight based on last year so not A grade) to name a few
* There is no reason why our backs shouldn't be great this year, lord knows we drafted/traded enough of them.
* We had 2 in the AA squad that not many people would have picked at the start of the season in Dylan Roberton & Sebastian Ross so improvements do occur and from unexpected places.
* Jack Sinclair was classed as elite and should play the same again this year. I never understood why Lonie used to get games over him.
* We have 2 top 10 picks filled with potentially, hopefully one will be good and the other really good :-). This will take some time so not at the start of the season but fingers crossed for glimpses through out the year
* We have too many list cloggers at present so I am hoping a bit of clean out at year and and if we finish about 10- 14th again we will get another top 10 pick so hopefully someone with pace.
*we just can not kick as badly as last year. So I am expecting that to increase over the year especially as confidence builds.
* Richo must have another game plan this year to go with pressure pressure pressure and handball 4 times rather than kick once.

Keep the faith Sainters, and keep supporting via your butt on seats. My membership is paid and upgraded this year. Only 28 more sleeps. Or 2 if you are Ben Cousins

Trump

I am most interested in the coaching and leadership this year and is richo the man for the job.

KingSaint
Club Player

Sheesh...i hope none of you people are motivational speakers or responsible for provididing any sort of inspiration.

Haven't played a single game yet and you are already running around moaning like a bunch of miserable sods.

I have no idea how the Saints will go this year...but i shall enjoy the ride.

If you don't want to be a member...then don't be a member. Member since 2004? Christ you are spoilt...try being a member throughout the 1980s when the club nearly folded.

We are here to support the foitball club...through times and bad...if you are not up to it...sobeit...go follow the Storm.

KingSaint
Club Player

Sheesh...i hope none of you people are motivational speakers or responsible for provididing any sort of inspiration.

Haven't played a single game yet and you are already running around moaning like a bunch of miserable sods.

I have no idea how the Saints will go this year...but i shall enjoy the ride.

If you don't want to be a member...then don't be a member. Member since 2004? Christ you are spoilt...try being a member throughout the 1980s when the club nearly folded.

We are here to support the foitball club...through times and bad...if you are not up to it...sobeit...go follow the Storm.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Nicely put, twice.

The King has spoken.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
KingSaint
Club Player

Whoops...sorry about the double entry.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

KingSaint wrote:Whoops...sorry about the double entry.
That's okay. AS I understand it - most people who have seen The Kings Speech have seen it twice.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:
That's okay. AS I understand it - most people who have seen The Kings Speech have seen it twice.
When asked who wrote those posts, he said The King and I.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Well King I was there during the bad times at moorabbin but I stuck with it, season after s*** season then the losing GF's, member for 35 0dd years, but now after seeing Footscray and Richmond bob I'm over it, I have moved interstate without worrying about missing going to the games, I always watch the Saints on Fox and when I visit melb if there is a game on and if I can I make it I will, but the care factor has diminished, never thought it would but they have worn me down and now we are going into another season with less hope than that of previous years. previous poster said get a rusty razor blade.. :roll: anyway the new supporters can put on the rose coloured glasses I once had and we can all move on.

Cheers

and for the billionth vain time..."Go Saints"

loris
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:
When asked who wrote those posts, he said The King and I.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:Well King I was there during the bad times at moorabbin but I stuck with it, season after s*** season then the losing GF's, member for 35 0dd years, but now after seeing Footscray and Richmond bob I'm over it, I have moved interstate without worrying about missing going to the games, I always watch the Saints on Fox and when I visit melb if there is a game on and if I can I make it I will, but the care factor has diminished, never thought it would but they have worn me down and now we are going into another season with less hope than that of previous years. previous poster said get a rusty razor blade.. :roll: anyway the new supporters can put on the rose coloured glasses I once had and we can all move on.

Cheers

Good luck interstate buddy, but just remember you are a Victorian always!

Also pleased to see I’m not off on a tangent. I made the biggest donation of my life (by a mile) towards the new Moorabbin and as yet haven’t been invited for a tour of the complex. So not only am I a bit peeved at the outlook for this year but the club a little itself. It’s not a case of entitlement, just what was promised and not delivered.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
axcellence
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
The Fireman wrote:Well King I was there during the bad times at moorabbin but I stuck with it, season after s*** season then the losing GF's, member for 35 0dd years, but now after seeing Footscray and Richmond bob I'm over it, I have moved interstate without worrying about missing going to the games, I always watch the Saints on Fox and when I visit melb if there is a game on and if I can I make it I will, but the care factor has diminished, never thought it would but they have worn me down and now we are going into another season with less hope than that of previous years. previous poster said get a rusty razor blade.. :roll: anyway the new supporters can put on the rose coloured glasses I once had and we can all move on.

Cheers

Good luck interstate buddy, but just remember you are a Victorian always!

Also pleased to see I’m not off on a tangent. I made the biggest donation of my life (by a mile) towards the new Moorabbin and as yet haven’t been invited for a tour of the complex. So not only am I a bit peeved at the outlook for this year but the club a little itself. It’s not a case of entitlement, just what was promised and not delivered.
I agree the administration of the club has left something to be desired. Just trying to scratch my head about what member friendly policies to have come out.

Instead of a prominent south road location, the team went to seaford and now is back.
How’s Pelican’s 5 year plan looking now? Pretty wasteful in hindsight... Geelong just kept topping up and got Selwood. Into final after final. Roo didn’t get to one after 2011...

Oh well.. whatever.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Been a Sainter for decades, through good and bad- stood in the rain at Moorabbin watching the Saints get flogged many a time, yet kept coming back. I dont know why, but I am struggling to get enthused for this season. Some Sainter friends up the country decided for the first time in years not to travel to Melbourne for some games in 2017, basically saying the Saints were playing a s*#t style of football, and stayed home to watch local matches instead.

Last season was a really flat one for me, as I just didn't see a lot of spark even though we ended up just out of the eight, but that also was a function of some teams around us having poorer than expected seasons. It was an end of an era for Roo and Monty, but it would have been good to have seen just a bit more get up and go from many players, and a bit more imagination from the coaching box to tempt us for this season...seemed like everyone was doing just enough and no more.

Anyway we can only hope that some players have standout seasons and this might provide the spark for a finals berth.

Winmar
Club Player

I'm hopeful rather than expectant. To make the 8 we'll need a handful of players to really step up, and everyone else to do at least as well as last season. Melbourne and Essendon should be better this year than last, so there will be some tough competition.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

hmmmm

i think
we are gunna hit our bootstraps

kick straight and bustle our way into 6th 7th or 8th

nothing like some reward (on the scoreboard) for general belief and smoothment of the swarm gameplan

members to be a legend by seasons end
pluckn the pill like buckets n kickn em pluggeresq

thanx in advance sydney

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
preso23

I'm hopeful of a very strong season, as I am every year. I found last year prior to game 1 I was more concerned with how we'd go for the season. I have a completely different feeling this year.

We've got a lot of young talent that have the potential to step right up, personally I'm excited and can't wait for game 1.

Go the Sainters...