Billy Longer - where's he at??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Re: Billy Longer - where's he at??

stonecold wrote:Easy to see some posters on here lack genuine 'Ruck knowledge or understanding of the game'!!!!!

Any wonder not many posters bother posting anymore!!!!!

Remember the times when everyone was allowed an opinion, Nanny Country, Nanny Rules, Nanny Forum!!!!!
Not true.

I am allowed an opinion too.

And my opinion differs to yours.

And I don't write it as FACT when it just an opinion.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
stonecold
SS Life Member

BackFromUSA wrote:
stonecold wrote:Easy to see some posters on here lack genuine 'Ruck knowledge or understanding of the game'!!!!!

Remember the times when everyone was allowed an opinion, Nanny Country, Nanny Rules, Nanny Forum!!!!!
Not true.

I am allowed an opinion too.

And my opinion differs to yours.

And I don't write it as FACT when it just an opinion.
I write it as fact, do I? That's just your opinion, you have no possible way of knowing that Simon!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Numpty

saynta wrote:

Sigh. The good old days. Evidently we both pine for them. When anyone with an alternative view to the ratbag lefties could express it on the general forum without the threat of being banned even.....Sigh.

Site these days is mostly plain vanilla with anybody questioning MSN (forum gods) getting threatened by mods or reported by fools.

I fully expect to catch a warning for posting the above.
You are both very right (and hopefully very white too), believe me!!! The ratbag lefty PC-crap worshiping Mexican sympathisers on here!!! It's a disgrace, believe me! Why don't they stop lazing about in the sun growing tulips, and go out and get a coal mine and dig up some useful stuff that makes things burn and smoke??? These people!!! They are stifling the entrepreneurial spirit of all those good decent hard working Christian Saintsational posters. Good patriotic people, believe me! Who just want to get on with building up walls, magnificent walls, believe me. #peoplewhowon'tbuildwallsmakemegrateagain

Numpty

stonecold wrote:Remember the times when everyone was allowed an opinion, Nanny Country, Nanny Rules, Nanny Forum!!!!!
My advice Mr Austin. I tell my great friends like Rob Porter who treat their wives/nannies (same thing) magnificently, get treated like crap in return, "Be rougher and you'll see a different relationship." Believe me. #makingroughingupnanniesgreatagain

asiu
Saintsational Legend

ratbag lefties !

wtf

rightwing forelock tugging trogladites u mean

but of course ... consistent reporting of anothers post by fools i agree with
... pot kettle charcoal indeed

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
The_President
Club Player

Lewis Pierce is going to be playing VFL for Frankston this year.

Seems like a weird move, almost like preparing for life after St.Kilda already

Drake Huggins
Club Player

More opportunity, perhaps?

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Drake Huggins
Club Player

Are they even allkwed to do that, tp? Or does big Adam want to keep a closer eye on him both from a coaching and development angle?

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Last year the alliance was a huge burden on Sandy who had to play three or four rucks every single week. This seriously hampered their chance of winning games.
So a good move imo. Two rucks is enough for Sandy in one side. It got quite ridiculous last year when three or four of Hickey, Pierce, Marshall and Holme were in the same side. Made it almost impossible to win for Sandy.

The_President
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Last year the alliance was a huge burden on Sandy who had to play three or four rucks every single week. This seriously hampered their chance of winning games.
So a good move imo. Two rucks is enough for Sandy in one side. It got quite ridiculous last year when three or four of Hickey, Pierce, Marshall and Holme were in the same side. Made it almost impossible to win for Sandy.
With the development league dumped it also makes sense in regards to more opportunity.

Can't see it happening for a club with their own VFL club though.

SuperDuper
Club Player

The_President wrote:Lewis Pierce is going to be playing VFL for Frankston this year.

Seems like a weird move, almost like preparing for life after St.Kilda already
Makes total sence for Pierce to play at Frankston. We need our backup ruck playing ruck, and also need Marshall getting ruck time. Meaning Pierce gets played a lot out of position. He needs a full season of rucking to 1. See where he is at. 2. Have any possibility of developing further and making the grade. Those opportunities were not there the last 2 years.

Hopefully he turns into a dominant VFL ruckman in 2018.

And as Con says, the Sandy team will not be overloaded with rucks, which really unbalanced them.. not only a bad thing for the Sandringham footy club, but also for our developing players, to play in such an unbalanced line up. How do you learn structures?

Excellent all-round move by the club.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Tend to agree. Our young rucks need to play senior VFL footy in the ruck.
Absurd having them play fwd or in dev league.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:Tend to agree. Our young rucks need to play senior VFL footy in the ruck.
No Dev league any more ConnieBoy!!!!!

The_President
Club Player

Drake Huggins wrote:I suspect you are correct about Marshall, WFL. Marshall is a potential gun. He is a bit of a hybrid between Hickey and Longer, being more Hickey than Longer. Marshall has the versatility to play a key position as well as ruck effectively. Exactly what we are looking for. There isn't room in the 22 for both Hickey and Longer. There is, however, room for one of them and Marshall. Interesting times ahead. Good post, btw, WFL. Keep them coming.
Can't see room for Marshall and a Ruckman in the team. It's almost unfortunate that we have so many decent key forwards in an era that doesn't really require them.

Membrey & Bruce are auto selections at the moment
Paddy if he stays fit
Battle if he progresses

Membrey the most athletic & versatile out of all of them, but even having Bruce & Paddy together in the forward line with a ruckman makes us very slow.

congorozides
Club Player

stonecold wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Tend to agree. Our young rucks need to play senior VFL footy in the ruck.
No Dev league any more ConnieBoy!!!!!
Even more reason that Pierce at Frankston is a good idea.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Pretty sure Longer was involved in the match sim the Saints website posted yesterday. If that was him in the footage, he looked pretty lean and fit, maybe we’ve been foxing all along??

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

I watched the start of that AFLISN'T thing. Whilst not as bad as I was expecting, I soon fell asleep, and didn't wake up till after the Saints' turn. (Don't think I missed much? Just some legs being used, or not used?)

One thing that was glaring though (on the Friday night when I fell asleep). Early on the Hillbillies were under pressure deep in defence. A defender handballed it out to the feet of their ruckman. Blitzards (sp?) bent down, picked it up cleanly, then sprinted away from the bloke chasing him. Capped it off with a nice kick to a team mate.

Three things we-all-know-whom can't do, and never ever will be able to do.

(Four things if one adds the marks that Blitzards took.
Five things if one adds the running bounces.
Six if one includes clearances.)

It really struck me (yet again) how much of an advantage we are handing to any opponent who has a ruckman who is even remotely mobile and coordinated. And if the enemy ruckman is more than remotely so...

I just can't believe how we play we-all-know-whom, over anyone else on the entire list.

And please people, tap outs are not a point with which to defend we-all-know-whom. He doesn't actually win many, but that's totally irrelevant, coz he always taps blindly and randomly.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

It’s all a bit academic.

Wouldn’t you love to have a Michael Gardiner?

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Highly unlikely for Thursday

Drake Huggins
Club Player

Calf, Tony74?

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Drake Huggins wrote:Calf, Tony74?
No

spert
Saintsational Legend

Billy would have made a good ruckman in the 1960s and early 70s, but if we're serious about winning a premiership then players like he and Gilbert wont help the cause.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

I quite like Billy, he is hard at the contest, a good honest battler and very effective at the stoppages but...

- He is an absolute liability when forced top defend on a mobile ruckman who can push forward and hit the scoreboard.
- He adds little value going forward and other than a kick behind play old style ruckman adds little value around the ground.

If we are the same old saints from last year we will be there about 8 - 14 on the ladder.

Why not throw caution to the wind?
I'm going with Bruce as first ruck who will need to negate the opposition at centre bounce then do damage running forward.
Will also do the job in defense against an opposition ruckman who pushes forward. Marshall or Gilbert will be on the bench as back up KPP and ruck.

Wile we are at it Brown is out as we don't need lumbering KPP's who can't add any offensive value.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
stonecold
SS Life Member

Drake Huggins wrote:Calf, Tony74?
Hip Flexor!!!!!