St.Kilda 2018: The burning questions

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

St.Kilda 2018: The burning questions

Pop quiz every. IMO these are the questions that will determine our year

Can Alan Richardson coach?
He’s been in the system a while. Turned the list over. Developed a good culture. A game plan that seems great at times and mediocre at others, psychological fragility cost us a half a dozen games at least and there’s the question of whether he is too conservative at the selection table.

What is the our ruck solution?
Last year it appeared to be Longer with Gilbert relieving...
Seems less than ideal. We hate the Josh Bruce experiment. How’s this going to work out.

Dunstan, Newnes, Acres, Webster and Savage... great players or guys that play a few good games a season?

Is redemption on the cards for Mav Weller and Tom Hickey?
Their 2016 was every bit as good as their 2017 was disappointing. Had these guys backed up we pbly would have made the finals. Mav seems to be tearing it to shreds on the track, Hickey has been quiet.

Can Paddy and Freeman overcome their persistent injury concerns?

Speaking of injury, can Armitage get back? Is there even a spot there left for him or has he been so far overtaken..?

Early bets...
which fringe player stamps his spot in the top 22?

Is it the end for
Minchington
Wright
Pierce
Goddard
Lonie
Dmac

And finally... not quite on topic but let’s call it to be bookmarked...
Finals, yes or ?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: St.Kilda 2018: The burning questions

Great post.

Gee we are carrying what appears 6 duds on our list. Why so many? And you haven’t included Freeman or Paddy who are both also unproven.

It’s sad that probably most of us think we are 50/50 to make the eight this year.

At this stage in our cycle it should be a given.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Freeman is lucky he isn't a greyhound....anyhow I think he won't be in any Group 1 fields and won't be nominated as an all Australian but he'll play maybe 50 games if he works hard at it. Paddy needs to stay focussed on getting fitter and he could possibly play on after his current contract but I still doubt whether he will live up to the expectations of being recruited as a gun forward. His goal kicking accuracy might be the ultimate factor that determines whethr he stays in the AFL. I think Collingwood wouldn't have got rid of Trav Cloke if he kicked the goals that everyone knew he should have.

The guys you mention play more than just a few good games. They are all 'very good' and most will play all games if fit.

I think Armo has 1 more good year and it will be 2019. He might take a few games this year to regain full match fitness.

Richo can coach imo, but he needs stars or at least 2 guns to come in to make top 4. Right now we don't have the cattle. Is he the right guy to take us to a premiership....I'm keeping an open mind

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

IMHO

Richardson can coach. He needed fresh perspective coming in. Playfield gives that but would have liked one more fresh assistant to create real debate and robust review of players and plans.

Rucks will rotate according to fitness and opponent. Hickey ahead on fitness at this stage. Longer and Hickey will rarely play the same game, if at all. Gilbert is preferred relief ruck as he leaps purely to minimise the opposition tap and then becomes another ground ball hunter at the contest and adds pace to the spread to get to contests and will give 2nd 3rd and 4th efforts.

Newnes is seriously underrated. Extremely consistent and rarely puts in a bad game. Has had a knee clean out and may start slow this year but I expect he will continue to produce 20+ possessions each week.

Dunstan and Acres will improve because they have grown up! They will be mentally stronger.

Webster may struggle for a game at half back. Deep defence or wing for me. He has pace and we need pace.

Savage is the opposite of Newnes. Puts in some shockers then has some blinders. I want him at half back and performing consistently because he can be the X factor in this modern game with his run and long kicking able to clear zone set ups.

Mav has to prove himself again and the hunger is there. Has the ability so I think he can contribute. Will be part of the new forward / midfield / bench rotation. May also tag at stages.

Hickey covered above but love what he brings around the ground so hope he is fit and firing.

Freeman has been well covered but a few senior games and some glimpses of brilliance will be enough for me this year. Has to play 15+ games in total and avoid any serious hamstring issues.

Paddy. Holding my breath but Paddy can be a game changer for us. He is s brilliant lead and clunks marks and is a brilliant field kick. No Rooey means more of his leads will get honoured. 15+ senior games and 30+ goals is pass mark.

Armitage like Weller will be part of the forward / midfield / bench rotation and will be the contested ball beast he has always been and will lead and inspire with his actions.

Good teams need good fringe players. Minchington, Wright and Goddard unlucky with injuries. Pierce only just getting a ruckmans body. Dmac needs to improve his mental strength / confidence. Lonie needs to kick or create more goals.

Coffield looks a star to me. Hawthorn’s traded pick may haunt them for the next 15 years.

Our midfield / forward / bench rotation will drive us to finals but we need Brown to repeat his 2017 form.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Can Richo coach?
we will find out this year but he is out of excuses. For someone who was hired as his development capabilities I am not over impressed. A lot of players have stayed the same or improved slightly. Not gogd enough and where is the plan b with our game plan? Too much handballing and then desperate long bombs into 50 is just crap and hard to watch

Ruck solution?
Hickey had a bad year so I am hoping he turns it around plus they were smart enough to get Rowan Marshall who may be an option this year. Longer is ok but how many kicks did he have last year. one or two.

Dunstan, Newnes, Acres, Webster and Savage?
so many similar players fighting for limited spots. Expect improvements from the mids this year overall
Dunstan found his feet in last 6 games. expect him to be there again this year
Newnes knee surgery should help. Was better at start of the season so maybe the knee was a factor?
Acres. Not sold on him. He has the x factor? This means he does things that aren't expected. Problem is a lot of times the things he does are dumb and cost goals. If he can stop the dumb things he shoudl be a b+ player
Webster. very hit an miss but has over 50+ games under his belt so this should be a break out year. With so (too) many rebounding HBF this year he steps up or gets dropped.
Savage Last man picked in most teams. Does his role and that is it. No bells or whistles just a plodder. Will struggle this year for his spot

Mav Weller and Tom Hickey?
Mav has now realised what it takes to play afl. 8kg gone prior to pre season plus ankle troubles fixed. No excuses this year
Hickey. Step up or dont play

Can Paddy and Freeman overcome their persistent injury concern
Paddy will play due to Richo wanting him to be a gun forward and extending his contract. But from what we have seen it has been underwhelming. he has not shown anywhere near what I was expecting. He crashes packs, sure, but to what advantage, no second efforts, below average fitness, was carrying excess fat and sub par goal kicking. I could go on but wont. Step up Paddy, please step up
Freeman just may get a game this year but such an unknown. He had an ankle injury late last year which sucked and possible cost him his debut. If he stays fit he will at least get one game
Armo. if really fit then he will start. Look at what he did a few years ago while fully fit. Leather poisoning in some games from so much ball handling

Fringe players
Ben Long . Tough as woodpecker lips and now has had a proper preseason. Watch this space
Nick Coffield. from all accounts he will be playing early

Is it the end for
Minchington Gone
Wright very likely
Pierce Gone
Goddard Unlikely but he needs to get faster and improve turning circle
Lonie Gone thank F@#K
Dmac Gone

8-14 on the table. alot of things need to fall our way to play finals. Not impossible but with no oustide mid to support Jack Steven who struggles with a tag then we will struggle to move the ball forwards again. And based on our goal kicking we wont make the opposition pay

spert
Saintsational Legend

The burning questions IMO are..Can we get the best from what we have, and consistently. Can a few players stand up and have breakout seasons. Can Richo survive the second half of the season..he has been with us for a long time now, and if we don't look the goods by mid-season, I reckon he is gone.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

What’s of most interest to me is whether or not we can be tougher mentally...

I reckon we lost close to 6 games... Geel, WCE, Port lost because we kicked ourselves out of it... ESS and Melb x2... stayed with them for nearly 3/4 despite the fact that we didn’t turn up and butchered everything.

Gresh and Billings kicked more behinds then goals
Mav and Hickey way down
Lot of inconsistent youngsters

And some conservative coaching... would love to see more White, Battle, Marshall, and Rice

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:Freeman is lucky he isn't a greyhound...
Even luckier he is not a horse. The screens would have been well and truly up by now.
Last edited by perfectionist on Sat 10 Feb 2018 6:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

Is there enough improvement in the list to compensate for the lack of elite players?
Who will fill the enormous hole left by the departures of Roo, Joey and the Dumpster?
Will Ben Dixon's coaching improve our goal kicking?
Will any of our current players become elite level players?

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:Is there enough improvement in the list to compensate for the lack of elite players?
Who will fill the enormous hole left by the departures of Roo, Joey and the Dumpster?
Make or break for me is going to be whether some of our 'potentials" can become very good to elite players.

I think we have very good depth all over the field, BUT we lack star power.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
one point
Club Player

Drake Huggins wrote:Is there enough improvement in the list to compensate for the lack of elite players?
Not sure about the enormous hole left by Roo, Joey and Dumpster - Roo couldn't run off tram tracks, Joey didn't make the top 10 in the best and fairest and Dumpster did not play so to me the transition took place in 2017.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

one point wrote:
Not sure about the enormous hole left by Roo, Joey and Dumpster - Roo couldn't run off tram tracks, Joey didn't make the top 10 in the best and fairest and Dumpster did not play so to me the transition took place in 2017.
Roo was pretty good until the last third of the season when we fell in a hole. No coincidence there, methinks. Joey was good after the Dermie rev. I'm also thinking in terms of leadership and experience out on the ground. Someone has to step into that breach. ATM, it's very open as to who that might be.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote:Can Richo coach?
we will find out this year but he is out of excuses. For someone who was hired as his development capabilities I am not over impressed. A lot of players have stayed the same or improved slightly. Not gogd enough and where is the plan b with our game plan? Too much handballing and then desperate long bombs into 50 is just crap and hard to watch

Ruck solution?
Hickey had a bad year so I am hoping he turns it around plus they were smart enough to get Rowan Marshall who may be an option this year. Longer is ok but how many kicks did he have last year. one or two.

so many similar players fighting for limited spots. Expect improvements from the mids this year overall
Newnes knee surgery should help. Was better at start of the season so maybe the knee was a factor?
Acres. Not sold on him. He has the x factor? This means he does things that aren't expected. Problem is a lot of times the things he does are dumb and cost goals. If he can stop the dumb things he shoudl be a b+ player
Webster. very hit an miss but has over 50+ games under his belt so this should be a break out year. With so (too) many rebounding HBF this year he steps up or gets dropped.
Savage Last man picked in most teams. Does his role and that is it. No bells or whistles just a plodder. Will struggle this year for his spot

Mav has now realised what it takes to play afl. 8kg gone prior to pre season plus ankle troubles fixed. No excuses this year

Paddy will play due to Richo wanting him to be a gun forward and extending his contract. But from what we have seen it has been underwhelming. he has not shown anywhere near what I was expecting. He crashes packs, sure, but to what advantage, no second efforts, below average fitness, was carrying excess fat and sub par goal kicking. I could go on but wont. Step up Paddy, please step up
Freeman just may get a game this year but such an unknown. He had an ankle injury late last year which sucked and possible cost him his debut. If he stays fit he will at least get one game
Armo. if really fit then he will start. Look at what he did a few years ago while fully fit. Leather poisoning in some games from so much ball handling

Fringe players
Ben Long . Tough as woodpecker lips and now has had a proper preseason. Watch this space

Is it the end for
Minchington Gone
Wright very likely
Pierce Gone
Lonie Gone thank F@#K
Dmac Gone

8-14 on the table. alot of things need to fall our way to play finals. Not impossible but with no oustide mid to support Jack Steven who struggles with a tag then we will struggle to move the ball forwards again. And based on our goal kicking we wont make the opposition pay
Don't write people off DJ. It makes you sound like you're playing god.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Ruck solution?

Fringe players

Is it the end for
Minchington Gone
Wright very likely
Pierce Gone
Lonie Gone thank F@#K
Dmac Gone

Don't write people off DJ. It makes you sound like you're playing god and you’re clearly not god

DJ Higgins
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:

Don't write people off DJ. It makes you sound like you're playing god and you’re clearly not god
SaintPav,

Why would giving your opinion on who you think is going is being God? That is just idiotic. And to post it multiple times as well? You are allowed to have opinions and based on players performances over the years but I will bite. Which of the players I think will be gone do you think will miraculously turn their careers around?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

SaintPav,

Why would giving your opinion on who you think is going is being God? That is just idiotic. And to post it multiple times as well? You are allowed to have opinions and based on players performances over the years but I will bite. Which of the players I think will be gone do you think will miraculously turn their careers around?
DJ Higgins wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

SaintPav,

Not really because it doesn't even sound like you understand what the phrase means. It makes you sound arrogant and hubristic.

Goddard and Dmac potentially still have something to offer. The others potentially might be on their way out. Who knows!

Your post is full of cliches and you parrot what most of the numpties on here post.

Christ, I get confused when I see your user name and Drake’s. I know who I prefer to read.

The multiple post was a mistake. Thought that would have been really obvious.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Just off the top of my head:

Will the new coaching set-up including the focus on defence-transition and goal kicking make a difference to our abysmal execution in 2017?
Can Paddy finally get some continuity and fulfil his potential?
Can Dunstan keep improving and consistently get 25+ possessions a game to become the player we think he potentiality might be?
Can Acres have a breakout year playing in the midfield?
Can Steven get back to his best form?
Will numpty dumpty ’supporters’ like WellardSaint and DJ Higgins ever STFU and stop their whining?
Can a Coffield, Clark etc make an immediate impact?
Can we win at least 13 games?
etc.

Saint 58
Club Player

We have a lot of B graders but no A graders ... maybe some B+ at best , i.e. no class players
But there is a lot of potential in many players - (I hate that Fxxxing word)

I'm hoping that some push through & go to the next level & we all know who they are, Acres & Billings are the two I desperately want to get there
Also hoping that Coffield & Clark add heaps to the team but can't expect too much too soon

Go Saints !
Bring it on !!

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Saint 58 wrote:We have a lot of B graders but no A graders ... maybe some B+ at best , i.e. no class players

I'm hoping that some push through & go to the next level & we all know who they are, Acres & Billings are the two I desperately want to get there
Also hoping that Coffield & Clark add heaps to the team but can't expect too much too soon

Go Saints !
Bring it on !!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-12/n ... says-richo

Check out that article.

The most pleasing and positive thing about it as he doesn't say pleasing or positive. Real answers not cliches which is good and very good points about this year. Only 40 days to go (I think)

saynta
Saintsational Legend

one point wrote:

Correct.

stkfc1
Club Player

Saint 58 wrote:We have a lot of B graders but no A graders ... maybe some B+ at best , i.e. no class players

Go Saints !
Bring it on !!
I'd have Billings, Gresham, Sinclair, Steele, Acres, Dunstan and Membrey as all 'potential' A graders. We need to see at least 3 take the next step up in the next season or two to become a real threat. Acres and Dunstan probably have the most question marks of that group but all shown enough to be very positive about the future. Sinclair was already rated elite in his position last year so for me its him, Gresham and Billings the most likely with Steele and Membrey on their tail.
Coffield, Clarke, White, Marshall and Battle the next gen to be excited about. And possibly an Irish lad or two.
Just enjoy the ride folks and support your team!!

Saint 58
Club Player

+1 !

... I read the article, thx :)

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Saint 58 wrote:+1 !

... I read the article, thx :)
No probs. Sounds like the team at the end of the year will be a lot better than at the start which bodes well for 2019.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

Gresham and Billings for me. Dunstan to surprise. Marshall to seriously challenge Billy and Hick for the number one ruck spot. Richo fell in love with Coffield during the year. I think he's onto something. I might have a couple of shillings on him winning the rising star.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
DJ Higgins
Club Player

a third of the way thru and varying results so far