No one rates us

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vazelos
Club Player

No one rates us

AFL Premiership odds is at 34 to 1 the 6 the highest return.
Clubs like Hawthorn and Collingwood ahead of us.
There are a few unknowns with Mc Cartin the biggest but that's really low expectations from the general football public.
Many of our players will his their straps this year I am sure of it.
Depth is strong with many players vying for spots with established players competing against emerging and even our top 2 picks who are higher level 1 st year players. That competition will drive this team along with so many starting to hit the 3-5 year range.
The lack of ready made recruits has seen us not rated by many it seems....
Missing finals is a possibility unfortunately but that would be a disapppintment I am sure...

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: No one rates us

It doesn't matter what others think. Perception won't win you a premiership.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

can't blame them

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I am sure no one rated the tigers last year or the bullies the year before.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Have a look at Trump. Did anyone rate him?

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Cant blame them.
Not much exciting happpening in terms of player personnel.
And Richo...well enough said. Pleasing.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Not sure I even rate us. When the heat is genuinely applied we crumble embarrassingly. About the only game we stood up this year was the GWS game. The tiges game was awesome but it came from no where. When we played crunch games, ie against bombers, swans, cats we were smashed. Barely competitive.

I'm sorry, but I'm expecting very little this year but hoping against hope I'm wrong

Junior
Club Player

saynta wrote:I am sure no one rated the tigers last year or the bullies the year before.
Spot on, totally irrelevant the odds at this stage.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
Drake Huggins
Club Player

I would have thought that was a good thing. The so-called "experts" never get it right. Look back to last year's time capsules and predictions from the HS and The Age. No one picked the Tigers for the flag and only a couple out of about 50 picked them for the eight (Richmond supporters I suspect). The bookies always pump up the bigger clubs to attract a greater number of punters willing to back their team. Only one team can win, so it's a no-brainer for them. What does anyone know at this time of the year? Just read some of the rubbish and puff pieces the media puts out to fill space. Little or no research and even less first-hand knowledge. The competition is more even than ever. It's a lottery at best at this time of the year. We're as good as anyone else at this stage, I'd suggest.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Junior wrote:
saynta wrote:I am sure no one rated the tigers last year or the bullies the year before.
Spot on, totally irrelevant the odds at this stage.
At this stage? You mean people rated either of them after R23?

I'm pretty happy when all is quiet at the club.

Gershwin
Club Player

Moods wrote:Not sure I even rate us. When the heat is genuinely applied we crumble embarrassingly. About the only game we stood up this year was the GWS game. The tiges game was awesome but it came from no where. When we played crunch games, ie against bombers, swans, cats we were smashed. Barely competitive.

I'm sorry, but I'm expecting very little this year but hoping against hope I'm wrong
I love how you dismiss the Tiges game because it doesn't fit your argument. In my opinion it shows how competitive we are.

summertime and the living is easy ........
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I'd rather that no one rates us because it suits we're we are at. Look at what happened last year when we were expected to improve.

I'm glad that's the mainstream view but I reckon that a few footyheads in the know (ie think your Darren Parkin types) might think we could rise up the ladder quicky if things fall our way.

At the end of the day it means sweet FA.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Darth Vader
Club Player

3rd youngest list in the competition. History also doesn’t rate us.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

There a lot on here that I don't rate.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

34's u say

sounds like grounds to have a syndicate of be lie vers then

a twenty each must add up to a decent little gamble

or even better , hunt the odds for '19 / 20
(if that sorta thing is available)

signed
not a gambler (much) just an ideas boy

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

It’s not surprising .
We don’t currently have any AA quality players . Whilst some say nobody rated Richmond this time last year, they had Dusty and Rance as genuine AAs strongly supported by Cotchin and Reiwoldt.
We haven’t added any new players of recognised quality. Again, Richmond added Prestia and Caddy into their midfield - and got lucky with Nankervis. We’ve recruited Logan Austin.
So we are relying on the organic development of our youngsters .
At best we may have some incremental growth - meaning a small rise up the ladder. There isn’t enough new or additional talent coming online to warrant a view that we are going to make a major leap forward. I will be satisfied if we win can win say 12-13 games. Because I reckon we can win another couple more in 2019 just with organic development, and another 1-2 again in 2020 which then puts us well and truely in the frame for a top 4 finish - and then anything can happen.

Love is all you need
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:It’s not surprising .
We don’t currently have any AA quality players . Whilst some say nobody rated Richmond this time last year, they had Dusty and Rance as genuine AAs strongly supported by Cotchin and Reiwoldt.
We haven’t added any new players of recognised quality. Again, Richmond added Prestia and Caddy into their midfield - and got lucky with Nankervis. We’ve recruited Logan Austin.
At best we may have some incremental growth - meaning a small rise up the ladder. There isn’t enough new or additional talent coming online to warrant a view that we are going to make a major leap forward. I will be satisfied if we win can win say 12-13 games. Because I reckon we can win another couple more in 2019 just with organic development, and another 1-2 again in 2020 which then puts us well and truely in the frame for a top 4 finish - and then anything can happen.
Yep. Nothing has happened pre-season to make us think that suddenly we're going to surge up the ladder. If people believe that we have the quality of youngsters that the doggies had/have then I reckon they're dreaming. The tiges had bona fide stars. The stars win you big games when they play well. Once Roo was shot last year we had a dearth of talent underneath. They ALL need to step if we are to be any hope of making top 6.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
Yep. Nothing has happened pre-season to make us think that suddenly we're going to surge up the ladder. If people believe that we have the quality of youngsters that the doggies had/have then I reckon they're dreaming. The tiges had bona fide stars. The stars win you big games when they play well. Once Roo was shot last year we had a dearth of talent underneath. They ALL need to step if we are to be any hope of making top 6.
This view isn't necessarily wrong, but it is very pessimistic.

I hope you're not in charge of trying to flog memberships.

Dogs weren't a star studded line up and they still might fade into obscurity, flag notwithstanding

My Bulldog and Richmond 'mates' have been giving it to me over the last 12 months. Can't remember ever bragging about being a Saints supporter. Very short memories. Morons.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saint64
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
Moods wrote:
This view isn't necessarily wrong, but it is very pessimistic.

I hope you're not in charge of trying to flog memberships.

Dogs weren't a star studded line up and they still might fade into obscurity, flag notwithstanding

My Bulldog and Richmond 'mates' have been giving it to me over the last 12 months. Can't remember ever bragging about being a Saints supporter. Very short memories. Morons.
I would be doing the same if we won :-)

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

SaintPav wrote:

I think people were too quick to cover their own b@cksides in relation to dogs
leading into their premiership season they had three AA in 2015 another two in '16
Bontempelli and Boyd hit their much lauded straps And a back line that was rock solid
Massive improvement in players like Libba, Dalhaus Picken and caleb daniel.
Richmond also had AA regulars and match winners :idea: ...

As a supporter we all see "improvement" in our own but thats a massive difference between rising above the rest of the comp

Seeya
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

our midfield is mostly young and improving Ross, Billings, Dunstan, Acres, Gresham, Sinclair, Steven, Steele, Armitage, Stevens, Weller

surprise packets are possible in Freeman, Clark, Coffield, Long

Gilbert, Webster, Newnes and Savage can also run through there

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:our midfield is mostly young and improving Ross, Billings, Dunstan, Acres, Gresham, Sinclair, Steven, Steele, Armitage, Stevens, Weller

See for me the challenge for us is in this list...
Acres, Dunstan, Newnes, Webster, Armitage, Savage and throw in Weller are players that seem highly rated internally and amongst fans but IMO don’t garner nearly as much respite outside of the club

Steele and Sincs are regarded as close to our best but again... seem to not be rated that highly outside the club

Some of these guys have got to take some serious steps

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:our midfield is mostly young and improving Ross, Billings, Dunstan, Acres, Gresham, Sinclair, Steven, Steele, Armitage, Stevens, Weller

See for me the challenge for us is in this list...
Acres, Dunstan, Newnes, Webster, Armitage, Savage and throw in Weller are players that seem highly rated internally and amongst fans but IMO don’t garner nearly as much respite outside of the club

Steele and Sincs are regarded as close to our best but again... seem to not be rated that highly outside the club

Some of these guys have got to take some serious steps
not sure anyone rates steele and sincs as close to our best - just kids with a lot of upside. here's our top 15 player rating from AFL.com. Biased against defenders and cumulative, so Carlisle (missing a year), Geary, and Roberton ranked lower then they are. But they give an idea. As expected Steven and Ross lead the way, but others may surprise.

Jack Steven
Sebastian Ross
Tim Membrey
Jack Newnes
Jade Gresham
Luke Dunstan
Shane Savage
Dylan Roberton
Jack Billings
Jack Steele
Sam Gilbert
Blake Acres
Maverick Weller
Jack Sinclair
Jaryn Geary

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

A forward line of Skunk, Baroose, and Paddy (?)
can beat a defence of any team in the bottom 8.
But Baroose, after having a great 2015, fell away in 2016 to just a battler
that didn't produce much. 2017 was as bad, instead of improving.
Paddy- don't think he'll play 6 games in total.
End of 2018 this post will be bumped.

Battle and one or 2 others may show some talent around goals.
So our forwards can beat Lions, Blues, Norf, and nobody else.
Skunk n Billings will be asked to do the work of the other underachievers- too much pressure on them.

We are worse now than anytime since 2011.
Face facts.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:A forward line of Skunk, Baroose, and Paddy (?)
can beat a defence of any team in the bottom 8.
But Baroose, after having a great 2015, fell away in 2016 to just a battler
that didn't produce much. 2017 was as bad, instead of improving.
Paddy- don't think he'll play 6 games in total.
End of 2018 this post will be bumped.

Battle and one or 2 others may show some talent around goals.
So our forwards can beat Lions, Blues, Norf, and nobody else.
Skunk n Billings will be asked to do the work of the other underachievers- too much pressure on them.

We are worse now than anytime since 2011.
Face facts.
Wow what a crap post!

Do you forget to take your meds?