Off-Season Player Review: #29 Jimmy Webster

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Off-Season Player Review: #29 Jimmy Webster

Postby skeptic » Sat 13 Jan 2018 1:46pm

Jimmy Webster to me is the hardest player to pin down on our list...

188cm, 83kg (or there abouts), plays as a medium defender that provides rebound.

I hear he is meant to have superb disposal
I hear he is a lock in our top 22
I hear he is a good defender

But is he?

From where I sit, I see Webster as a player that sprays a lot of kicks... makes bad decisions, directly costs us goals.

Have seen little of him that suggests he’s decent one on one, doesn’t seem overly effective in the air, doesn’t take a lot of grabs, not overly good at reading the play or intercepting.

In a lot of ways he’s like a poor mans Raph Clarke in that Raph’s disposal/decision making was shonky at the best of times but at least Clarke was almost as good you could hope for without the ball in his hands.


Now obviously Jimmy is a young kid finding his way, hence this critique is pbly harsh but here is my question. What exactly is he meant to be and realistically is he any real hope of getting there?
Is he better suited to a midfield role?

What are the positives that ppl see he is bringing to the table?

From where I sit, Webster is one player that has a lot of potential for improvement and was pbly symptomatic of our Bipolar season and I reckon if he doesn’t get real better real soon he may be in a bit of trouble.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 8908
Joined: Wed 10 Mar 2004 7:10pm

Re: Off-Season Player Review: #29 Jimmy Webster

Postby samoht » Sat 13 Jan 2018 3:47pm

He has a lot of positive attributes, but does he have the body strength, in one-on-one contests, to be considered a solid and effective defender? I’m also not convinced of this, and there is always the danger of a mismatch.
There may be a limit to how good and how reliable he could become as a defender.

If he can develop into an outside midfielder, or be played on the wing - where he could use his speed and long kicking, and not worry about a direct opponent; that’s where/how I’d play him - and that’s where/how he might flourish?

Definitely worth a try.
Have you read my latest ebook, The Fugitive Soldier?
http://www.amazon.com/The-Fugitive-Sold ... ve+Soldier
.. you can sample the first 2 chapters for free, by clicking on the above link.
User avatar
samoht
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3995
Joined: Sun 14 Mar 2004 10:45am
Location: Victoria

Re: Off-Season Player Review: #29 Jimmy Webster

Postby BackFromUSA » Sat 13 Jan 2018 5:20pm

samoht wrote:He has a lot of positive attributes, but does he have the body strength, in one-on-one contests, to be considered a solid and effective defender? I’m also not convinced of this, and there is always the danger of a mismatch.
There may be a limit to how good and how reliable he could become as a defender.

If he can develop into an outside midfielder, or be played on the wing - where he could use his speed and long kicking, and not worry about a direct opponent; that’s where/how I’d play him - and that’s where/how he might flourish?

Definitely worth a try.


i like this idea a lot
AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2012"
User avatar
BackFromUSA
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3880
Joined: Tue 09 Mar 2004 12:38am

Re: Off-Season Player Review: #29 Jimmy Webster

Postby stkfc1 » Sat 13 Jan 2018 6:10pm

samoht wrote:He has a lot of positive attributes, but does he have the body strength, in one-on-one contests, to be considered a solid and effective defender? I’m also not convinced of this, and there is always the danger of a mismatch.
There may be a limit to how good and how reliable he could become as a defender.

If he can develop into an outside midfielder, or be played on the wing - where he could use his speed and long kicking, and not worry about a direct opponent; that’s where/how I’d play him - and that’s where/how he might flourish?

Definitely worth a try.


Its a big season coming up for the likes of Webster, Newnes, Weller and Savage. Our fourtunes are going to depend a lot on whether they can take their game to the next level or are they already at their peak and are only GOPs at best. If so then others need to come in.
stkfc1
Club Player
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Sat 06 Oct 2007 2:42pm

Re: Off-Season Player Review: #29 Jimmy Webster

Postby WellardSaint » Sat 13 Jan 2018 7:58pm

The first Perth game in 2017, he did a panicked soccer kick out of defence, didn't look at all.
It came back for a goal.
He was actually clear at the time, with enough breathing space.
Can't do that if he wants to be respected by teammates.
That crap belongs in under-9's
Summertime just means lots of sunburn, lots of pain.
Long wait till footy season, when the pain of sunburn is replaced by the pain of missed opportunities, missed shots at goal,
mistakes under pressure...
User avatar
WellardSaint
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3980
Joined: Sat 26 May 2012 11:25am
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: Off-Season Player Review: #29 Jimmy Webster

Postby Zed » Sun 14 Jan 2018 12:47pm

His kicks look fantastic - low flat fast bullets. Great when they come off , hurt us when they don’t as ball comes back quicker and before we have had a chance to get back and setup usually leaving at least one or more of our defenders out of position. Generally speaking when he is clear his kicks hit the target. Under pressure it’s a bit more like 50/50.

Coaches like him because when his kicks come off it’s a fast transition into the midfield and forward line which is what we are looking for.

I’m not sure he has the tank or is good enough to regularly pick up 25+ possessions if he were to move to a wing. Defensively man on man, he is equivalent to the league average. stronger in 1 on 1 than Sav I would say who seems to be regularly beaten in 1 on 1s.
St Kilda - its character building.
Zed
Club Player
 
Posts: 1632
Joined: Sun 28 Mar 2004 1:59pm
Location: by the seaside..

Re: Off-Season Player Review: #29 Jimmy Webster

Postby 8856brother » Sun 14 Jan 2018 5:05pm

Was very high up in the b&f before some clown broke his arm. Hard as a cats head. He will play as a defender and his role will be a pivotal part of our game plan and hopefully our success.
_______________________________________________________________________
"Don't argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."
User avatar
8856brother
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4359
Joined: Wed 14 Sep 2011 2:58pm
Location: Twin Peaks

Re: Off-Season Player Review: #29 Jimmy Webster

Postby Dave McNamara » Sun 14 Jan 2018 5:50pm

8856brother wrote:Was very high up in the b&f before some clown broke his arm. Hard as a cats head. He will play as a defender and his role will be a pivotal part of our game plan and hopefully our success.

Well said bro'!

And I don't get the one-on-one concerns either. :?
It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hArSps&feature=player_detailpage

Matt Finnis CEO wrote:"St Kilda is an iconic part of Melbourne which has an identifiable attitude and spirit that is really aligned with where we want to take the club. It is grounded but it is aspirational, it is eclectic, everyone belongs, and we say how do we capture that as an identity? It would be a good move on so many levels for the club."
User avatar
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 5335
Joined: Wed 21 Sep 2011 2:44pm
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Re: Off-Season Player Review: #29 Jimmy Webster

Postby DJ Higgins » Sun 14 Jan 2018 5:51pm

8856brother wrote:Was very high up in the b&f before some clown broke his arm. Hard as a cats head. He will play as a defender and his role will be a pivotal part of our game plan and hopefully our success.

Agree. He is a defender and he will be a fine one. He will be working on his kicks under pressure and should improve. SO many HBF now so it will be a fight for every back position and it will cause the back six to lift
DJ Higgins
Club Player
 
Posts: 356
Joined: Fri 28 Oct 2016 11:59pm

Re: Off-Season Player Review: #29 Jimmy Webster

Postby saintbob » Mon 15 Jan 2018 6:11pm

Dave McNamara wrote:
8856brother wrote:Was very high up in the b&f before some clown broke his arm. Hard as a cats head. He will play as a defender and his role will be a pivotal part of our game plan and hopefully our success.

Well said bro'!

And I don't get the one-on-one concerns either. :?



Agree totally

2 X Top 10 finishes in the B&F in the last 3 years says he’s going pretty well
saintbob
Club Player
 
Posts: 1828
Joined: Wed 21 May 2008 8:51pm
Location: Tassie

Re: Off-Season Player Review: #29 Jimmy Webster

Postby WellardSaint » Mon 15 Jan 2018 8:43pm

saintbob wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:
8856brother wrote:Was very high up in the b&f before some clown broke his arm. Hard as a cats head. He will play as a defender and his role will be a pivotal part of our game plan and hopefully our success.

Well said bro'!

And I don't get the one-on-one concerns either. :?



Agree totally

2 X Top 10 finishes in the B&F in the last 3 years says he’s going pretty well

Just shows how poor the rest of the guys are
Summertime just means lots of sunburn, lots of pain.
Long wait till footy season, when the pain of sunburn is replaced by the pain of missed opportunities, missed shots at goal,
mistakes under pressure...
User avatar
WellardSaint
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3980
Joined: Sat 26 May 2012 11:25am
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: Off-Season Player Review: #29 Jimmy Webster

Postby magnifisaint » Mon 15 Jan 2018 9:32pm

WellardSaint wrote:
saintbob wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:
8856brother wrote:Was very high up in the b&f before some clown broke his arm. Hard as a cats head. He will play as a defender and his role will be a pivotal part of our game plan and hopefully our success.

Well said bro'!

And I don't get the one-on-one concerns either. :?



Agree totally

2 X Top 10 finishes in the B&F in the last 3 years says he’s going pretty well

Just shows how poor the rest of the guys are

Makes a few mistakes just like a lot of footballers. Learn to live with it. His good far out weighs his bad.
User avatar
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 5522
Joined: Sun 02 May 2004 2:52am
Location: Fiddling under my raincoat

Re: Off-Season Player Review: #29 Jimmy Webster

Postby WellardSaint » Mon 15 Jan 2018 10:33pm

magnifisaint wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:
saintbob wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:
8856brother wrote:Was very high up in the b&f before some clown broke his arm. Hard as a cats head. He will play as a defender and his role will be a pivotal part of our game plan and hopefully our success.

Well said bro'!

And I don't get the one-on-one concerns either. :?



Agree totally

2 X Top 10 finishes in the B&F in the last 3 years says he’s going pretty well

Just shows how poor the rest of the guys are

Makes a few mistakes just like a lot of footballers. Learn to live with it. His good far out weighs his bad.

And his bad will keep costing us games...
Just like his team-mates in defence apart from Jake n Nathan Brown
Summertime just means lots of sunburn, lots of pain.
Long wait till footy season, when the pain of sunburn is replaced by the pain of missed opportunities, missed shots at goal,
mistakes under pressure...
User avatar
WellardSaint
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3980
Joined: Sat 26 May 2012 11:25am
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: Off-Season Player Review: #29 Jimmy Webster

Postby DJ Higgins » Mon 15 Jan 2018 11:12pm

WellardSaint wrote:And his bad will keep costing us games...
Just like his team-mates in defence apart from Jake n Nathan Brown

What don't you like about Roberton?
DJ Higgins
Club Player
 
Posts: 356
Joined: Fri 28 Oct 2016 11:59pm

Re: Off-Season Player Review: #29 Jimmy Webster

Postby magnifisaint » Tue 16 Jan 2018 10:01am

DJ Higgins wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:And his bad will keep costing us games...
Just like his team-mates in defence apart from Jake n Nathan Brown

What don't you like about Roberton?

He doesn't know what he's talking about
User avatar
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 5522
Joined: Sun 02 May 2004 2:52am
Location: Fiddling under my raincoat

Re: Off-Season Player Review: #29 Jimmy Webster

Postby samoht » Tue 16 Jan 2018 11:35am

Webster''s been a very good half back flanker - but I'm surprised that Shane Savage was immediately dropped to make way for him, when Webster returned from injury.
Couldn't they find another player to drop?
Savage must be one of the most under-rated players on our list, and under-appreciated - have a look at his metres gained.
I know Webster has further development - and is a couple of years younger. Still.
Shane Savage only got 12 games in 2017 - which I find ridiculous.


Jimmy Webster vs Shane Savage

188cm Height 186cm
83kg Weight 82kg

2017 Stats for Season 2017
18 Games 12
11.2 Kicks Per Game 13.4
7.6 Handballs Per Game 7.9
18.8 Disposals Per Game 21.3
3.6 Marks Per Game 4.8
0.1 Goals Per Game 0.4
0 Behinds Per Game 0.2
1.8 Tackles Per Game 2.4
0 Hitouts Per Game 0
1.6 Inside 50s Per Game 3.8
0.3 Goal Assists Per Game 0.2
0.7 Frees For Per Game 0.5
0.3 Frees Against Per Game 0.6
4.8 Contested Possessions Per Game 4.8
13.3 Uncontested Possessions Per Game 16.2
14.0 Effective Disposals Per Game 17.3
74.5% Disposal Efficiency % Per Game 81.2%
1.9 Clangers Per Game 1.9
0.2 Contested Marks Per Game 0.8
0 Marks Inside 50 Per Game 0.1
0.4 Clearances Per Game 0.4
3.6 Rebound 50s Per Game 2.8
2.7 One Percenters Per Game 2.0
0.7 Bounces Per Game 1.2
79.1 Time On Ground % Per Game 83.5
0.1 Centre Clearances Per Game 0.1
0.4 Stoppage Clearances Per Game 0.3
3.7 Score Involvements Per Game 3.8
309.0 Metres Gained Per Game 432.0
3.6 Turnovers Per Game 4.2
5.4 Intercepts Per Game 4.8
0 Tackles Inside 50 Per Game 0
$359,000 AFL Fantasy Price $489,000
66.8 AFL Fantasy Score Per Game 81.4
$383,800 Supercoach Price $492,700
71.1 Supercoach Score Per Game 87.2
Have you read my latest ebook, The Fugitive Soldier?
http://www.amazon.com/The-Fugitive-Sold ... ve+Soldier
.. you can sample the first 2 chapters for free, by clicking on the above link.
User avatar
samoht
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3995
Joined: Sun 14 Mar 2004 10:45am
Location: Victoria

Re: Off-Season Player Review: #29 Jimmy Webster

Postby Drake Huggins » Tue 16 Jan 2018 1:49pm

Jimmy was offered up for a trade last year. He wasn't happy about it, either. I always think what others will offer for one of our players is a much better assessment of their worth than the internal ratings, which tend to be riddled with confirmation bias and emotion. Truth is no one offered us anything more than a fourth-round pick, or a couple of list cloggers. We were after a second rounder to give us some leverage in the trade period. The fact they put him up suggests they see him as being good enough to tempt the opposition, but not essential to our needs. The response from the other clubs suggests we were right to offer him up. If he's in our best 22 and the top ten of our B & F, then that speaks volumes as to where we were at in 2017. samoth's statistical analysis shows that at least Savage is ahead of him. I would think there are several others as well. Brandon White is the man I think should take his place.
"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
User avatar
Drake Huggins
Club Player
 
Posts: 906
Joined: Wed 04 Oct 2017 4:28pm
Location: The G.G. Huggins Stand

Re: Off-Season Player Review: #29 Jimmy Webster

Postby loris » Tue 16 Jan 2018 7:02pm

Drake Huggins wrote:Jimmy was offered up for a trade last year. He wasn't happy about it, either. I always think what others will offer for one of our players is a much better assessment of their worth than the internal ratings, which tend to be riddled with confirmation bias and emotion. Truth is no one offered us anything more than a fourth-round pick, or a couple of list cloggers. We were after a second rounder to give us some leverage in the trade period. The fact they put him up suggests they see him as being good enough to tempt the opposition, but not essential to our needs. The response from the other clubs suggests we were right to offer him up. If he's in our best 22 and the top ten of our B & F, then that speaks volumes as to where we were at in 2017. samoth's statistical analysis shows that at least Savage is ahead of him. I would think there are several others as well. Brandon White is the man I think should take his place.


Interesting DH he was offered up for trade last season. It doesn’t surprise me.

The season before an ITK, told me he was on his final chance at the Club. 3 strikes & he would be out the door. I assumed strikes meant Club misdemeanours or not reaching team standards (whatever that means). Halfway through last season I asked the ITK how Jimmy was progressing. He said love had tamed him and he was a much more settled lad. Just shows when Cupid’s arrow pierces the heart, many a young man becomes a model citizen ......... well nearly!
loris
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3906
Joined: Tue 22 Jan 2008 5:41pm

Re: Off-Season Player Review: #29 Jimmy Webster

Postby Proph3t of egan » Wed 17 Jan 2018 12:09am

Needs to be more consistently. He isn't as good defensively as Geary, can't intercept as well as Roberton, and offers less then Savage Offensively. Hope he can fix it up because he offers a bit of mongrel, something our team lacks
Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
Proph3t of egan
Club Player
 
Posts: 516
Joined: Sun 08 May 2016 8:02pm


Return to Saintsational Fan Forum (open to all ages)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], sasaint and 21 guests