Lethlean going to Saints?!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

minneapolis
Club Player

Re: Lethlean going to Saints?!

iwantmeseats wrote:This is just part of the reason, or symbolic of it, that we are such a piss ant club with such a shockingly poor history.
Personally, I would have NEVER entertained the thought of employing this grub. How can you trust him ??
He is a low life, aint no changing that,
Very disappointed in St.Kilda.
But you get used to that.
Low life?

You know absolutely nothing about the man.

Two consenting adults had sex.

The terribly PC AFL had to sack him.

Those who do know him say he is very competent and skilled.

The Saints are an inclusional club. Even sinners are welcomed for a second chance.

The AFL were consulted and approved the appointment.

It's people like you who run the Club down.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Great get St Kilda. Amazing!
He was a powerful exec at the AFL for a reason and he has the skill set we need to get the best out of our club. Very happy fan here.

And what is the big deal about having an affair in relation to him doing this job. It was an affair i.e. consensual. The woman was dating Kurtly Beale (Rugby Union player) and cheated on him so it take two to tango and I have no idea what his home life was like. Was his wife cheating on him? Was she a horrible person or was she an angel? I don't know but more importantly I don't care. It is none of my business nor is it anyone else's. He owned up to the affair and deserved all the crap he got from his wife and family sure. But can he do the job we hired him to do, you better bloody believe it.
2019 is looking ggggggoooooooddddddd

HarryM
Club Player

spert wrote:Probably not the wisest appointment
What a coup for us, getting a guy that 4 Clubs passed on!

degruch
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
santazzi wrote: On the question of his transgression, if all men in his position were dismissed from their post, I feel the nation may stutter to a halt.

Too true. I can't believe a liaison between consenting adults has become a sacking offence. Inspired decision by the club.
He wasn't 'sacked', he 'tended his resignation'. A more canny observer might even wonder there's more to it, but it may be that he was just tainted goods. All that aside, just like we did with Lovett, the Saints have swooped in like a fat kid onto someone else's dropped pie, snaffling the goods in front of a playground full of aghast bystanders. So, I guess that's an inspired move for someone that's desperately hungry, but have no self respect. :lol:
Last edited by degruch on Fri 15 Dec 2017 1:04pm, edited 2 times in total.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

HarryM wrote:
Which 4 clubs?

amusingname
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote:
HarryM wrote:
Which 4 clubs?
Essendon, Carlton, Hawthorn and Collingwood were all searching for CEO's or high ranking positions this off-season. All were rumoured to have considered him and passed. Carlton were most prominently mentioned, with the talk being that he did not present well to the board as he had been told the job was basically his and the presentation was a formality, obviously it wasn't.

On having him at the club, I don't really mind and would trust Finnis (as well as the AFL who would sign off on the appointment) to make the correct decision. I suspect he would have a pretty strong morality clause in his contract so any hint of an issue would see him gone quicksmart, as he would have had at the AFL hence his departure there.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

amusingname wrote:
DJ Higgins wrote:
HarryM wrote:
Which 4 clubs?
Essendon, Carlton, Hawthorn and Collingwood were all searching for CEO's or high ranking positions this off-season. All were rumoured to have considered him and passed. Carlton were most prominently mentioned, with the talk being that he did not present well to the board as he had been told the job was basically his and the presentation was a formality, obviously it wasn't.

On having him at the club, I don't really mind and would trust Finnis (as well as the AFL who would sign off on the appointment) to make the correct decision. I suspect he would have a pretty strong morality clause in his contract so any hint of an issue would see him gone quicksmart, as he would have had at the AFL hence his departure there.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/f ... zwm0s.html

I have to to disagree with you here

Collingwood made an unofficial play for his services after Gary Pert was ousted with Eddie McGuire meeting Lethlean. But the board and interim CEO Peter Murphy insisted for a rigorous recruitment process . Lethlean explored other option but wasn't passed over
Bulldogs? Lethlean was approached by Peter Gordon to apply for the top administrative job — that club was seeking to install its fourth CEO in less than three years — and reportedly refused the Bulldogs chairman.
Carlton? OK you got this one spot on, he blew it. Lethlean presented for the top job at Carlton to a sub-committee but did a mediocre job thinking the role was his. He lost out to Richmond's CCO Cain Liddle who was a better fit from the sounds of things
Essendon I think are still in the process of recruiting so can’t really claim he was passed over

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Whilst he is no doubt good at his job, the guy clearly has some issues in regards to this affair and boys club stuff. Please think of the devastating impacts his actions had on his wife, kids, family and friends. That hangs around for life now and all those people, especially the poor wife and kids. Its the lowest of acts possible IMO but not a jailable offence either.

Anyway, he has been appointed and I trust Finnis knows his stuff although I'm personally disappointed he got selected.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

minneapolis wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:This is just part of the reason, or symbolic of it, that we are such a piss ant club with such a shockingly poor history.
Personally, I would have NEVER entertained the thought of employing this grub. How can you trust him ??
Low life?

The Saints are an inclusional club. Even sinners are welcomed for a second chance.

And people like you perpetuate St.Kilda's s*** culture.

spert
Saintsational Legend

minneapolis wrote:
Low life?

Most large corporations with a high media and public profile would move on a person(s) in the same situation. In 1977 it may have been a different story. Strange how the old two to tango line comes out- many women would tell you otherwise.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Great get by the club.

Isn't it amazing how many saints follow the Saints. There but for the grace of God....

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
santazzi wrote: On the question of his transgression, if all men in his position were dismissed from their post, I feel the nation may stutter to a halt.

Too true. I can't believe a liaison between consenting adults has become a sacking offence. Inspired decision by the club.
He wasn't 'sacked', he 'tended his resignation'. A more canny observer might even wonder there's more to it, but it may be that he was just tainted goods. All that aside, just like we did with Lovett, the Saints have swooped in like a fat kid onto someone else's dropped pie, snaffling the goods in front of a playground full of aghast bystanders. So, I guess that's an inspired move for someone that's desperately hungry, but have no self respect. :lol:
He was told his position was untenable. He was sacked.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

What on earth?

If Lethlean had not fallen on his sword, the AFL would have had real problems sacking him, because they had no lawful/reasonable reason to do so!

The AFL would have been reamed in Unfair Dismissal or Breach of Contract proceedings. He had an affair, that does not make him a grub or a predator.

It is a private matter between Lethlean, his wife and the woman with whom he had the affair.

The suggestion that he deserved the sack and should never be employed is a disgrace.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
degruch wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

You won't find an official media release that states he was sacked...but I'll go you half way, they were 'forced to resign'. But that's beside the point...fat kid-pie-us. Bad look. A couple clubs even went so far as to make a public statement they wouldn't pursue his services, the Hawks stating it was because they were a 'family club' (albeit one that covers up sex scandals and illicit drug habits). :shock:

He may be a good operator from some standpoints, but I'd rather we have not. We can all disagree, but the idea that he's a coup by the club is not how the wider community views his appointment.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Highly regarded in AFL circles.
A good operator.

I'm taking the piss.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Fri 15 Dec 2017 2:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
What on earth?

If Lethlean had not fallen on his sword, the AFL would have had real problems sacking him, because they had no lawful/reasonable reason to do so!

The AFL would have been reamed in Unfair Dismissal or Breach of Contract proceedings. He had an affair, that does not make him a grub or a predator.

It is a private matter between Lethlean, his wife and the woman with whom he had the affair.

The suggestion that he deserved the sack and should never be employed is a disgrace.
How do you know?
For all we know he was using the company credit card to book flights and hotels so he could have the affair.
May very well have been work related.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Along with Finnis and Bains this is guy is another AFL boys club plant.
An absolute flog of a bloke.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
degruch wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

You won't find an official media release that states he was sacked...but I'll go you half way, they were 'forced to resign'. But that's beside the point...fat kid-pie-us. Bad look. A couple clubs even went so far as to make a public statement they wouldn't pursue his services, the Hawks stating it was because they were a 'family club' (albeit one that covers up sex scandals and illicit drug habits). :shock:

He may be a good operator from some standpoints, but I'd rather we have not. We can all disagree, but the idea that he's a coup by the club is not how the wider community views his appointment.
Let’s just say they fell on their swords ... so to speak

degruch
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Let’s just say they fell on their swords ... so to speak
:lol: Men in their position often do.

Viking3
Club Player

spert wrote:
minneapolis wrote:
Low life?

Most large corporations with a high media and public profile would move on a person(s) in the same situation. In 1977 it may have been a different story. Strange how the old two to tango line comes out- many women would tell you otherwise.
"Most large corporations with a high media and public profile would move on a person(s) in the same situation."
True, but strange how media/profile dictates how larger organisations should be run. Rules are rules and should be the same for everyone.

"Strange how the old two to tango line comes out- many women would tell you otherwise."
And many men would tell you women are the instigators!

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote:Great get by the club.

Isn't it amazing how many saints follow the Saints. There but for the grace of God....

Spot on Bernard. Glad you see the irony. The right man for the job. If he was good enough to be number 2 in the pecking order at the AFL he is certainly well qualified to be number 2 at the Saints.

Saint supporter since '62
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

It's not a popularity contest FFS!

The club needs more mongrel and as far as I'm concerned, the hiring of this ruthless scum of the earth is a step in the right direction.

Nice guys finnis last.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Staff and players will need to watch their WAG's with this bloke when around the club. :o

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Look, nobody is tougher to please than me when it comes to the club making decisions.

But this is a real win for the club. We need some people who can pull strings inside the AFL.

Simon's best mate is Gil. They will work very, very closely to make sure the Saints get a good run - and nobody knows the AFL's numbers better than Lethlean.

I reckon he'll turn up with a point to prove. How good will it look on his CV if he gets the Saints to a flag?

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Simon's best mate is Gil. They will work very, very closely to make sure the Saints get a good run - and nobody knows the AFL's numbers better than Lethlean
Good point. Big win for us