Best Saints Ruckman of the past 50 years?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Re: Best Saints Ruckman of the past 50 years?

Postby Trev from the Bush » Sat 09 Dec 2017 12:57am

John McIntosh, absolute champion. But not what I would call a ruckman. A little on the short side, absolutely outstanding at CHB, HFF or as a second ruck / ruck rover. Second only to Ian Stewart as the best kick I have seen in red, white and black.

But not the second best ruckman, Dave.
Saint supporter since '62
Trev from the Bush
Club Player

Postby 8bloggs » Sat 09 Dec 2017 3:32pm

Beno88 wrote:Lazar Vidovic wasn't our best, but I like mentioning Lazar Vidovic.

Yeah I also thought if he had played inn the 97 grannie it may have been a different result for us.
8bloggs
Club Player

Postby older saint » Sun 10 Dec 2017 2:31pm

Carl or Spider , different players but both suited the era they played in
older saint
Club Player

Postby Dave McNamara » Sun 10 Dec 2017 6:26pm

Trev from the Bush wrote:John McIntosh, absolute champion. But not what I would call a ruckman. A little on the short side, absolutely outstanding at CHB, HFF or as a second ruck / ruck rover. Second only to Ian Stewart as the best kick I have seen in red, white and black.

But not the second best ruckman, Dave.

Fair points Trev.

However, for a bit of fun...

McIntosh: 191cm, 94kg. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McIntosh_(footballer)
Ditterich: 194cm, 96kg. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Ditterich
Mynott: 193cm, 92kg. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Mynott
Fats Nicholls: 189cm, 105kg. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Nicholls_(footballer) (Though to be fair to the fat boy, he was generally weighed down a bit by all the stolen jewellry he was carrying around.)

And a couple of butter wouldn't melt in their mouths blokes 'sharing the love'...

Sideburns were never a good look btw. :roll: :lol:
It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hArSps&feature=player_detailpage

Matt Finnis CEO wrote:"St Kilda is an iconic part of Melbourne which has an identifiable attitude and spirit that is really aligned with where we want to take the club. It is grounded but it is aspirational, it is eclectic, everyone belongs, and we say how do we capture that as an identity? It would be a good move on so many levels for the club."
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Postby Trev from the Bush » Mon 11 Dec 2017 6:33pm

Nice comparo Dave. Big Nick was short but if you ran the measuring tap horizontally he made the others look like midgets. And those thighs! I once fancied a young lady who, from behind a desk and waist up was centrefold material. Unfortunately, a mate I worked with said in passing "she has thighs as big as John Nicholls". To be truthful, they weren't THAT big, but I could never look at her the same again.

Yes, Macca was a great RUCKMAN - just never played that position much for the Saints.
Trev from the Bush
Club Player

Postby Gershwin » Mon 11 Dec 2017 9:40pm

Can't think of any other club which has produced such a poor lot of ruckmen in the last 50 years. Even big Carl would struggle to get a mention in the top 20 of that era.
summertime and the living is easy ........
Gershwin
Club Player

Postby happy feet » Mon 11 Dec 2017 10:09pm

Gershwin wrote:Can't think of any other club which has produced such a poor lot of ruckmen in the last 50 years. Even big Carl would struggle to get a mention in the top 20 of that era.

Did you see Carl play? Carl would be in the top 5 ruck men in the last 50 years. Any lesser ranking is ill informed.
happy feet
Club Player

Postby Enrico_Misso » Mon 11 Dec 2017 11:31pm

Dave McNamara wrote:I'm pretty sure that the game he finally did his knee for good in, is better known for another 'incident'(?)

No that is wrong.
John McIntosh sadly ended his career in R4 1972 against Collingwood at Waverley.
The "incident" you are alluding to came in the return match at Moorabbin in R14.
"Understand that you are all custodians of the St Kilda Football Club...you are responsible for making the difficult decisions to make this Club great. Those decisions will not always be popular, for popular decisions are easily made - but those that will truly make us great are those that challenge us most." - Allan Jeans as told to Chris Pelchen 2012.
Enrico_Misso
Saintsational Legend

Location: Moorabbin Chapter of The Royal Society of Hagiographers

Postby Trev from the Bush » Tue 12 Dec 2017 9:38pm

happy feet wrote:
Gershwin wrote:Can't think of any other club which has produced such a poor lot of ruckmen in the last 50 years. Even big Carl would struggle to get a mention in the top 20 of that era.

Did you see Carl play? Carl would be in the top 5 ruck men in the last 50 years. Any lesser ranking is ill informed.

Obviously never saw The Shadow in action. As I said, he was the prototype for all modern ruckmen. No lumbering giant, he could sprint up and down the ground. Plain ignorance to suggest he would "struggle to get a mention". Sammy Newman was one of the best in his era - he has always had a huge opinion of Carl.
Trev from the Bush
Club Player

Postby Gershwin » Wed 13 Dec 2017 2:25pm

Trev from the Bush wrote:
happy feet wrote:

Obviously never saw The Shadow in action. As I said, he was the prototype for all modern ruckmen. No lumbering giant, he could sprint up and down the ground. Plain ignorance to suggest he would "struggle to get a mention". Sammy Newman was one of the best in his era - he has always had a huge opinion of Carl.

Actually I did see him play - both live and on TV. I'm 65 and have followed the Saints keenly since 1970. Have given it further thought and probably a bit rash saying not in the top 20 since 1967 but I would put the following ruckmen ahead of him:
Len Thompson, Simon Madden, John Nicholls, Gary Dempsey, Peter Moore, Graham Moss, Barry Round, Don Scott, Paul Salmon, Jim Stynes, Mike Fitzpatrick, Sammy Newman. So in my new opinion he comes in as about 10 - 15.
I always saw Carl as a huge ruck-rover. Athletic, mobile, aggressive. Not a great overhead mark for his size and not a great kick but his physical presence and leadership was outstanding.
summertime and the living is easy ........
Gershwin
Club Player

Postby Vazelos » Thu 14 Dec 2017 2:47pm

Big Carl no question
Vazelos
Club Player

Previous

Return to Saintsational Fan Forum (open to all ages)