Best Saints Ruckman of the past 50 years?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Best Saints Ruckman of the past 50 years?

Can anyone beat Carl?

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
robbie muir
Club Player

Re: Best Saints Ruckman of the past 50 years?

Big Carl probably the best over the last 50 years.

Other good ruckman over this period included Brian Mynott, Jeff Sarau, Gary Sidebottom and Spider Everitt.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

robbie muir wrote:Big Carl probably the best over the last 50 years.

Other good ruckman over this period included Brian Mynott, Jeff Sarau, Gary Sidebottom and Spider Everitt.
You gotta be kinding about Garry Sidebottom

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

How does Don Discher not get a mention?

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Seriously? Is there even a discussion? Who could beat Carl as our best?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

For the younger forumites, his good was Carl?

A lot of ppl talk about him like he was a thug. I’ve seen the footage of his debut and how he missed the dance in 66... how did he career pan out after that?

Certainly played well before my time

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Trent Knoble

Coldstone's mate?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Can’t go past Carl and Spider.

I thought Paul Harding was good for a few years but hardly our best.

I will always remember how good Michael Gardner was in the first half of 2009. He dominated games but unfortunately could not keep it up.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Rix

supersaints
Club Player

Carl by a long street.. however the guy he basically replaced Allan Morrow was easily our second best .. ironically He played his last game replacing Carl ( suspended) and was our premiership ruckman

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Lazar Vidovic wasn't our best, but I like mentioning Lazar Vidovic.

CarlD
Club Player

I have to say Carl don't I? Just coincidence that I share the view Carl was the Saint's best ruckman in the period.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Big Carl Ditterich without a doubt.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:For the younger forumites, his good was Carl?

A lot of ppl talk about him like he was a thug. I’ve seen the footage of his debut and how he missed the dance in 66... how did he career pan out after that?

Certainly played well before my time
How good was Carl?

Think Dean Cox mobility and skill but with hardness, aggression, leadership and more.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Carl, first and foremost, was a magnicient athlete and the prototype modern day follower - or what every club would want. Think of him as a cross between Peter Moore and Dean Cox. Without absolutely any of the finesse of Moore and Cox.

Sancho Panza to Carl's Don Quixote is Brian Mynott. A wonderful ruckman from the same era his deeds are a little undervalued by comparison. Jeff Sarau was Mynott's worthy successor.

Saint supporter since '62
Drake Huggins
Club Player

Carl. Athletic, skillful and terrifying in equal measure. Puppy Sarau gets an honourable mention. Spida more dangerous as a forward than in the ruck. Lacked the menace of Carl and pup. The best ruckmen are skillful and intimidating.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

who could forget Rodney Galt?

or Damien Kirschke

or Matthew Capuano

or Alan Sidebottom 9best tap I eve saw was him to his brother Gary who called for it - only problem was that Gary was then playing for Fitzroy)

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Big Carl, very athletic, hard as nails, Lost his marking skills in latter years and average by foot.
Morrow
Mynott
Sarau
Everitt
Harding
Vidovic
Gardiner
Wow Jones
Max Crowe (had a couple of good seasons but mainly playing forward)
McEvoy
A heavy set forward played some dominant stints in the ruck in 1987 (and for VIC) and a CHF with huge hands filled in at centre bounces reasonably well when required.

Why no love for Bob Jones or Shane Grambeau?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:Big Carl, very athletic, hard as nails, Lost his marking skills in latter years and average by foot.
Morrow
Mynott
Sarau
Everitt
Harding
Vidovic
Gardiner
Wow Jones
McEvoy
A heavy set forward played some dominant stints in the ruck in 1987 (and for VIC) and a CHF with huge hands filled in at centre bounces reasonably well when required.

I enjoyed it when Jason Blake beat Kyle Sandilands in the ruck down in Tassie that day.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Viking3
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:Can’t go past Carl and Spider.

I thought Paul Harding was good for a few years but hardly our best.

I will always remember how good Michael Gardner was in the first half of 2009. He dominated games but unfortunately could not keep it up.
Watching Michael Gardiner in the games he played for us (didn't watch him as closely at the Weagles), he was an absolute gun ruckman, knew where his players were, knew how to palm a ball, mobile, good kick and good mark. Very intelligent footballer.

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
George27
Club Player

Trev from the Bush wrote:Carl, first and foremost, was a magnicient athlete and the prototype modern day follower - or what every club would want. Think of him as a cross between Peter Moore and Dean Cox. Without absolutely any of the finesse of Moore and Cox.

Sancho Panza to Carl's Don Quixote is Brian Mynott. A wonderful ruckman from the same era his deeds are a little undervalued by comparison. Jeff Sarau was Mynott's worthy successor.
A wonderful summary of Carl ( and Brian ), Trev. Big Carl is far and away the best ruckman I have ever seen at the Saints , albeit that Brian Gleeson was before my time.

happy feet
Club Player

Big Carl by a country mile over any of the others. The Shadow, as he was known, was big, mobile, athletic, skilled and a great reader of the game. He made our small players play tall. Any rough, dirty stuff, there was instant retribution. Toughest man I have ever met. A St Kilda legend.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:Big Carl, very athletic, hard as nails, Lost his marking skills in latter years and average by foot.
Morrow
Mynott
Sarau
Everitt
Harding
Vidovic
Gardiner
Wow Jones
McEvoy

+Rix Rox Rux, Knoble, etc

Ruck must be the hardest role to play (at least at St Kilda) as it appears that we have had so many more ruckmen than, say, key position players over the years.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

magnifisaint wrote:
robbie muir wrote:Big Carl probably the best over the last 50 years.

You gotta be kinding about Garry Sidebottom
His first season with us was pretty sensational. Lost the plot soon after that unfortunately. But he was mainly a CHF c/f ruckman.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

I'm feeling let down. I couple of the contributors to this thread I was certain would have mentioned my man, but... nope. :( Well, someone has to!!!

John McIntosh. Tragically only 51 games. :cry: :cry: :cry:

(From what I've seen of everyone's favourite, big Carl... he's very Nic Nat. Athletic yes, but un-co'.)

John McIntosh was the best big man I've seen play for us. McIntosh... then daylight!
(Stuff that games-played number requirement... should be in our Team of the Century!)
Such were the sublime and varied nature of John McIntosh skills that it was said of him that "small men envied his pace, medium-sizers his touch and he could mark with the tallest players".¹
That sums it up pretty well for me.

The fact that his father, Dave, had played 56 league games for East Perth meant that John McIntosh, who had proved himself an excellent country footballer, was eligible to join the Royals under the father-son rule. However, he chose instead to throw in his lot with Claremont, and from 1962 until 1969 he gave sterling service both to the Tigers, and to Western Australian football in general.

Early in his career McIntosh displayed considerable versatility, playing in more or less any key position, or on the ball. Gradually, however, he began to be used almost exclusively as a ruckman, and it was playing in that position that he gained a reputation as one of Western Australia finest players.

Twice a Claremont best and fairest player, McIntosh also excelled on the interstate front, winning a Simpson Medal at the 1966 Hobart carnival, earning All Australian selection in both 1966 and 1969, and representing Western Australia a total of 17 times.

VFL club St Kilda was keen to procure McIntosh services as early as 1966, but in common with all his carnival teammates that year he pledged to remain in Western Australia until at least the end of the 1968 season. As it transpired, McIntosh stayed with Claremont until 1970 before embarking on a brief, but noteworthy VFL stint with the Saints. A knee injury incurred early in the 1972 season ultimately forced his retirement from football.

Such were the sublime and varied nature of John McIntosh skills that it was said of him that "small men envied his pace, medium-sizers his touch and he could mark with the tallest players".¹

https://australianfootball.com/players/ ... tosh/10385
John David McIntosh (born 1 November 1943) is a former Australian rules footballer who played for the Claremont Football Club in the West Australian Football League (WAFL) and the St Kilda Football Club in the Victorian Football League (VFL). Originally from Beverley, Western Australia, McIntosh also played 19 interstate matches for Western Australia and Victoria. He retired at the end of the 1972 season due to a knee injury, :cry: and later took up lawn bowls, winning several club and state championships.[1]

McIntosh was a ruckman and played with Claremont from 1962 to 1969, winning their best and fairest award twice. He represented Western Australia 17 times at interstate football and was All Australian in 1966 and 1969. In the 1966 Hobart Carnival he was awarded the Simpson Medal.

He was lured to Victoria in 1970 to join St Kilda and had a successful debut season in the VFL, finishing equal 5th in the Brownlow Medal count. He improved on that the following season with an equal 2nd placing in the count, missing out on the Brownlow by three votes. In the 1971 Semi Final he injured his knee and couldn't play in the Grand Final against Hawthorn which the Saints lost. Further knee problems in 1972 saw him announce his retirement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McIn ... ootballer)
I'm pretty sure that the game he finally did his knee for good in, is better known for another 'incident'(?)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen: