50 years of Full Backs and our best was?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

50 years of Full Backs and our best was?

Postby BackFromUSA » Tue 05 Dec 2017 7:13am

This one really will be tough to call.

Not sure Nathan Brown gets a look in! No disrespect to Nathan.
AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2012"
User avatar
BackFromUSA
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3875
Joined: Tue 09 Mar 2004 12:38am

Re: 50 years of Full Backs and our best was?

Postby whiskers3614 » Tue 05 Dec 2017 7:53am

Verdun Howell (just qualifies for last 50 years)
Spud
Bob Murray

P.S Did our major goalkicker from 66 GF and the most famous point-scorer in history also play there a fair bit in early 70s?
whiskers3614
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3416
Joined: Thu 20 May 2010 11:49pm

Re: 50 years of Full Backs and our best was?

Postby stevie » Tue 05 Dec 2017 8:15am

Barks was a great fullback for the first few years of his career. Played on bigger opponents and jumped over them a few times too. All while wearing number 25
ImageImageImage
Image
Reporter: How does it feel to be putting on the whole world?
Ringo: We enjoy it.
Paul: We aren't really putting you on.
George: Just a bit of it.
John: How does it feel to be put on?
stevie
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4325
Joined: Mon 06 Sep 2010 9:09am
Location: Gold Coast

Re: 50 years of Full Backs and our best was?

Postby samoht » Tue 05 Dec 2017 8:29am

Frawley owned Gary Ablett senior - Kept him goalless or to 1 or 2 goals most games; I think Ablett kicked 5 goals on him once- but Frawley was playing with a groin injury that day and was very restricted.
This was the only “bag of goals” Ablett snr kicked against us.

Frawley kept Ablett goalless and virtually kickless in a final.

GAblett snr’s lowest goal average must be vs St Kilda.
Last edited by samoht on Tue 05 Dec 2017 8:48am, edited 2 times in total.
Have you read my latest ebook, The Fugitive Soldier?
http://www.amazon.com/The-Fugitive-Sold ... ve+Soldier
.. you can sample the first 2 chapters for free, by clicking on the above link.
User avatar
samoht
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3994
Joined: Sun 14 Mar 2004 10:45am
Location: Victoria

Re: 50 years of Full Backs and our best was?

Postby St Plugger » Tue 05 Dec 2017 8:45am

whiskers3614 wrote:Verdun Howell (just qualifies for last 50 years)
Spud
Bob Murray

P.S Did our major goalkicker from 66 GF and the most famous point-scorer in history also play there a fair bit in early 70s?


Yep- none better than this quartet! As for ranking them...............?
St Plugger
Club Player
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue 28 Apr 2009 4:16pm

Re: 50 years of Full Backs and our best was?

Postby saynta » Tue 05 Dec 2017 9:33am

1.Verdon Howell..Brownlow medalist
2.Trevor Barker
3.Bob Murray
4.Spud Frawley.
5.Cowboy Neale
saynta
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 5561
Joined: Wed 10 Mar 2004 3:53pm

Re: 50 years of Full Backs and our best was?

Postby Linton Lodger » Tue 05 Dec 2017 10:27am

samoht wrote:Frawley owned Gary Ablett senior - Kept him goalless or to 1 or 2 goals most games; I think Ablett kicked 5 goals on him once- but Frawley was playing with a groin injury that day and was very restricted.
This was the only “bag of goals” Ablett snr kicked against us.

Frawley kept Ablett goalless and virtually kickless in a final.

GAblett snr’s lowest goal average must be vs St Kilda.


I think the day Ablett kicked 5 (might have been 6), Ablett was actually moved off Frawley and put on the wing, he kicked most, if not all of his goals from the wing. Geelong kicked about 30 against us that day after we jumped them early!
Linton Lodger
Club Player
 
Posts: 1285
Joined: Mon 18 Aug 2014 2:07pm

Re: 50 years of Full Backs and our best was?

Postby Bernard Shakey » Tue 05 Dec 2017 11:25am

Linton Lodger wrote:
samoht wrote:Frawley owned Gary Ablett senior - Kept him goalless or to 1 or 2 goals most games; I think Ablett kicked 5 goals on him once- but Frawley was playing with a groin injury that day and was very restricted.
This was the only “bag of goals” Ablett snr kicked against us.

Frawley kept Ablett goalless and virtually kickless in a final.

GAblett snr’s lowest goal average must be vs St Kilda.


I think the day Ablett kicked 5 (might have been 6), Ablett was actually moved off Frawley and put on the wing, he kicked most, if not all of his goals from the wing. Geelong kicked about 30 against us that day after we jumped them early!


Yes, Ablett played on Joffa Cunningham who actually had a great game, even having 6 kicked on him. They hugged each other at the end of the game.
Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
User avatar
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 10818
Joined: Sun 18 Mar 2007 11:22pm
Location: Down By The River 1989, 2003, 2009 & 2013

Re: 50 years of Full Backs and our best was?

Postby Bernard Shakey » Tue 05 Dec 2017 11:27am

1 Verdun Howell
2 Bob Murray
3 Danny Frawley
Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
User avatar
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 10818
Joined: Sun 18 Mar 2007 11:22pm
Location: Down By The River 1989, 2003, 2009 & 2013

Re: 50 years of Full Backs and our best was?

Postby magnifisaint » Tue 05 Dec 2017 11:28am

Never seen Verden Howell play but I've been told he's the best
User avatar
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 5522
Joined: Sun 02 May 2004 2:52am
Location: Fiddling under my raincoat

Re: 50 years of Full Backs and our best was?

Postby desertsaint » Tue 05 Dec 2017 12:25pm

likewise - happy to go with older blokes who have seen howell and murray. Frawley was a great servant of the club through a terrible period, but my favourite by some way is maxy.
maxy, milne, and bakes - loved em!
"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
User avatar
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 7103
Joined: Sun 27 Apr 2008 2:02pm
Location: out there

Re: 50 years of Full Backs and our best was?

Postby Trev from the Bush » Tue 05 Dec 2017 1:15pm

Howell is inelgible. Never played FB after mid-65. Murray clearly the best from Frawley and Hudghton. Apologies to greats Cowboy and Barks who were stop-gaps.
Saint supporter since '62
Trev from the Bush
Club Player
 
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri 23 Sep 2011 4:24pm
Location: Australia

Re: 50 years of Full Backs and our best was?

Postby Linton Lodger » Wed 06 Dec 2017 8:17pm

Look no further than the mighty Max Hudghton.
Linton Lodger
Club Player
 
Posts: 1285
Joined: Mon 18 Aug 2014 2:07pm

Re: 50 years of Full Backs and our best was?

Postby Saint_Ash » Thu 07 Dec 2017 10:11am

Certainly not our best but worth a mention in this conversation as one of the stop gaps. The G train was actually quite handy as a full back in his early days at the Saints, would have been interesting had he not moved forward to see how he developed as a key back.
What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
Saint_Ash
Club Player
 
Posts: 423
Joined: Wed 28 Apr 2004 7:47pm
Location: Either work, home or the footy, maybe a pub somewhere

Re: 50 years of Full Backs and our best was?

Postby SaintPav » Thu 07 Dec 2017 7:05pm

Barry Hall
Bernie Lomax would be the perfect coach, except for one small problem: He's dead.
User avatar
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 10070
Joined: Wed 16 Jun 2010 9:24pm
Location: Alma Road

Re: 50 years of Full Backs and our best was?

Postby older saint » Sun 10 Dec 2017 2:37pm

Never saw Howell but from reading appears the best. Barker , Frawley, Gerhig, Hudghton probably the best in my time
older saint
Club Player
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: Wed 12 Sep 2007 5:30pm


Return to Saintsational Fan Forum (open to all ages)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Premium89 and 37 guests