Rookie draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

beebarry
Club Player

Rookie draft

So we have committed to redrafting Pearce as a rookie - do we take him at 8 or later ? Who else appeals at 8 ? I’d like to see another midfielder as even though I’m happy enough with Coff and Clarke, we still need to continually top up and improve mids - thoughts ?

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rookie draft

There’s a lot of really good feedback about Sam Collins - many Freo fans were shocked to see him cut after he dominated the WAFL - but given our defensive stocks are now stacked, one assumes we’ll probably lean toward Tom Lamb.

Lamb only just turned 21 last month, so is really quite young. He also won our time trial (2nd last year at WC).

Controversial call: I hope we interviewed Ben Lennon. Kid must be rattled beyond belief to have been cut by Richmond but still has massive talent if he commits to training at the elite level. Attitudinal issues can be fixed.

Ironically, Lamb has the fitness but not game sense, Lennon has the game sense but not fitness. I was really keen on Tyler Keital a few years back - interesting to see him become a star WAFL forward who may get picked up. Not on our radar though.

Still, I’m tipping we’ll best available with our first pick, then Lamb. Cassidy Parish’s midfield style must be appealing for us at that first pick. He won Geelong Falcons’ under 18 B&F by a street, polled in 16/19 games, is 190cm and described as a “contested ball-winning bull” by Mick Turner. Not the greatest kick (I know, I know) but he could be a potential replacement for Armitage. Also had a stellar finals series. Averaged just under 28 disposals a game and six times had 30 or more disposals. Given Geelong won the u/18 Premiership, they’re some mighty figures.

Doesn’t look like there’s much else left over that missed the draft to be honest. A little bit of mature-age talent (Mitch Grigg, Haiden Schloithe, etc.) but I doubt there’s many true gems left.
Last edited by evertonfc on Mon 27 Nov 2017 10:32am, edited 2 times in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

When is the RD?

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

beebarry wrote:So we have committed to redrafting Pearce as a rookie - do we take him at 8 or later ? Who else appeals at 8 ? I’d like to see another midfielder as even though I’m happy enough with Coff and Clarke, we still need to continually top up and improve mids - thoughts ?
Last pick

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Stian
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote:When is the RD?
It is at 5:10 tonight.

Does anybody know how many picks we have?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Stian wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:When is the RD?
It is at 5:10 tonight.

Does anybody know how many picks we have?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Pretty sure we'll grab Cam O'Shea from Port with our first pick.

At 190cm O'Shea is a mid sized half back who can play tall and small and provides run out of defence.
A quick glance at our list shows a lack of depth in this type of player and he could slot in nicely as a mature aged pick up.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote:Pretty sure we'll grab Cam O'Shea from Port with our first pick.

At 190cm O'Shea is a mid sized half back who can play tall and small and provides run out of defence.
A quick glance at our list shows a lack of depth in this type of player and he could slot in nicely as a mature aged pick up.
Please don't get yet another half back flanker. Anything but that. I don't know much about the rookies but please anyone else but a defender.
I imagine we will redraft Pearce but with our last pick. Hopefully another club drafts him

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:Pretty sure we'll grab Cam O'Shea from Port with our first pick.

Has been mentioned in a number of articles that O'Shea likely to Carlton.......

saint4life
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Pretty sure something about - hook - line - sinker is relevant here!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!