Competition for spots

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Competition for spots

I feel like the draft has upped the ante for a spot in the side.

The only spots a little iffy is Ruck and the Small fwds.

Players who have been maybe in the comfort zone like Mav Weller, Jack Newnes and Gresh will now be feeling some heat from below. Nate Brown will also be starting to think about his football future.

I think Lonie and Minch are probably already half way out the door.
There's a spot still available for a small fwd who can kick 30 goals a year though. That player might be Billings given he may not be needed in the midfield so much now.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Re: Competition for spots

Con Gorozidis wrote:I feel like the draft has upped the ante for a spot in the side.

Players who have been maybe in the comfort zone like Mav Weller, Jack Newnes and Gresh will now be feeling some heat from below. Nate Brown will also be starting to think about his football future.

There's a spot still available for a small fwd who can kick 30 goals a year though. That player might be Billings given he may not be needed in the midfield so much now.
Mostly agree Con. Our rucks are solid but not spectacular. Our small forwards in Billings and Gresh are very good but both will play more midfield this year I reckon. They play high up the ground so they are half a midfielder anyway and hopefully Wellar turns it around (from all reports he has and is getting his body right).

Rucks and a goalsneak are two areas we need to address in the next 1-2 drafts and FA.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
DJ Higgins
Club Player

That why i was annoyed at the selection of Ben Paton. Nothing against him but Sam Hayes was still on the table and at pick 46 he would have been a steal and he would be used unlike a lot of round 3 picks that don't make it

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Clavarino looks like a contested marking beast and kicks it well. He will definitely play games next year. Hughie you better be on your game. This guy looks to have you covered.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I really hope that if they deserve it, Richo plays these guys regularly.

It will mean that the likes of Gilbert, Savage and even Webster might have to miss out.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote:That why i was annoyed at the selection of Ben Paton. Nothing against him but Sam Hayes was still on the table and at pick 46 he would have been a steal and he would be used unlike a lot of round 3 picks that don't make it
We are generally hopeless beyond pick 30 so it’s a bonus of pick 46 even gets a game.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
DJ Higgins
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
DJ Higgins wrote:That why i was annoyed at the selection of Ben Paton. Nothing against him but Sam Hayes was still on the table and at pick 46 he would have been a steal and he would be used unlike a lot of round 3 picks that don't make it
We are generally hopeless beyond pick 30 so it’s a bonus of pick 46 even gets a game.
completely agree but Hayes looks like a gun ruckman. We just had bigger holes to fill so understand why we didn't get him earlier. But yeah anything post 40 is a huge gamble so why not get a player that looks like he will actually play

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
completely agree but Hayes looks like a gun ruckman. We just had bigger holes to fill so understand why we didn't get him earlier. But yeah anything post 40 is a huge gamble so why not get a player that looks like he will actually play
Really. Sam Fisher?

He looked like crap inhis 1st year but what a player he turned into. NO ONE really knows until each player has had a couple of years in the system. Let time be the judge.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I feel like the draft has upped the ante for a spot in the side.

Mostly agree Con. Our rucks are solid but not spectacular. Our small forwards in Billings and Gresh are very good but both will play more midfield this year I reckon. They play high up the ground so they are half a midfielder anyway and hopefully Wellar turns it around (from all reports he has and is getting his body right).

Rucks and a goalsneak are two areas we need to address in the next 1-2 drafts and FA.
There is a lot of improvement to come in the next 2 years in positions other than the ruck. If it happens on cue, luring an available 25 year old gun Ruckman wont be hard.
Developing one is a shot in the dark, as we know all too well.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Weller needs to get his mind right.

He cant use injury as an excuse for his ridiculously poor decision making and refusal to pick the best options the few times he got the ball.

Vazelos
Club Player

We also have Ben Long and Josh Battle in their second seasons and could push for senior games, especially Long at this stage.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:

It sounds like just about 3/4 of our players are going to run through the midfield. It's a pity that Richo only alternates between 4 mids then (Steven, Ross, Steele, Dunstan) with only very brief glimpses of a few other players. We do need around 10 players to run through there every game and only then will we see more improvement.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Savage’s position would have to be at risk after picking Coffield and Paton who both were AA defenders - as well as the other HBF’s already on the list that could also step up eg White.
Brown will be playing his last year I reckon with Goddard, Austin and Claverino all eyeing off the FB spot in 2019.
Interesting to see who Hunter Clark potentially pushes out of the side
Small forward role is still up for grabs
Can’t see Lewis Pearce getting a new contract after the current one expires

Love is all you need
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Savage’s position would have to be at risk after picking Coffield and Paton who both were AA defenders - as well as the other HBF’s already on the list that could also step up eg White.
Brown will be playing his last year I reckon with Goddard, Austin and Claverino all eyeing off the FB spot in 2019.
Interesting to see who Hunter Clark potentially pushes out of the side
Small forward role is still up for grabs
Can’t see Lewis Pearce getting a new contract after the current one expires

Love is all you need
stkfc1
Club Player

For me Newnes, Mav, Savage, Gilbert and Brown will be the most under pressure next season if the new crop step up and their last seasons form doesn't go up a notch. They're all a bit vanilla IMO and aren't really adding much. We need damaging players in their positions they were either doing just enough or had gone backwards this season. I'm probably being a bit harsh with Gilbert as form wasnt too bad until injury and he does bring x factor to the team. Same as Mav as obviously played injured most of year. Savage got better as year went on but was it enough to keep in the team long term as he can still go missing at times. Newnes needs to find a new gear as he just seemed to be cruising along. When did he last really influence a game or was close to being BOG? Needs to do more.