Was this a list replenishment draft?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Was this a list replenishment draft?

Clark --> Armitage
Coffield --> Gilbert
Clavarino --> Carlisle / Brown
Paton --> Geary

Looks to me that this draft was about covering retirements over next 5 years.

I think they have Brown covered by Goddard / Austin.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Was this a list replenishment draft?

upgrades on some.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I genuinely believe the club sees it as recruiting for need.
I think they wanted pace and went for pace. 3/4 picks are fast.

Clavarino I think is an insurance policy - Brown old, Austin unknown and Goddard completely unknown.

But I think they they definitely see Clark and Coffield as genuine mids who bring something new to the list - not as replacements.

I think we already have cover for Armo in Ross, Steele, Acres and Dunstan. But we are weak on pacy outside mids and that is what they see Clark and Coffield as.

Just my opinion and based on what both Elshaugh and AR have said in the last 24 hours.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sat 25 Nov 2017 1:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

See I wondered about this as well but to a degree I’ve dismissed it...

I think Paton to Geary makes sense.

Clavarino to me is more about depth. Carlisle and Brown are here now... Logan could be ready to go now, Hugh needs more development time but it’s fair to say there are some concerns... 1 more key back is actually required.

Clark and Coffield are just required players... even if they just both play out their careers as attacking backman, it’s a luxury we don’t have... the best midfields aren’t 4 good guys... it’s a set of guns in the middle complimented by forward and back flankers that play good offensive and defensive football hurting the opposition.

We don’t have that amongst our backs.

Roberton is good.
Savage is too unaccountable
Webster is too inconsistent with his disposal
DMac is not damaging enough
Rice is unproven in anything
White has promise
Geary is too defensive... though he is a gun stopper
Gilbert is not damaging enough and better to suited to the utility role anyway

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:Clark --> Armitage
Coffield --> Gilbert
Paton --> Geary

I think you are half right. Im confident that we have instilled some genuinely skilled footballers with these four.

I have no doubt that all four will impact at Sandringham immediately and force some decisions on some 21 - 25's who have underperformed and at the same time offer confidence to potential FA's who we look at for a 2020 tip at a GF and a window from 2020 to 2025.

If that is our window, logically Armitage, Geary, Gilbert and Brown wont be there. I thnk we may get 5 or 6 years more out of Carlisle but he is vulnerable to injury. He may even go forward.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Even if the premiership window is four years - Say 2020-2023. Then Gilbo, Brown, Armo, Geary, Savage and even Jack Steven will all be gone by then.

Darth Vader
Club Player

Maybe they picked who they thought were the 2 best players available. Crazy.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Was hoping for Petrucelli when Naish bid was matched for no other reason than pace.
Very happy with Clavarino as he can clunk a mark not just a pure spoiling defensive tall like Logan.

Can't believe the negativity on here when we have taken two kids in the top ten who were rated in that range by most experts. Not like we took Brad Howard with one of our picks!

3 X junior AA sounds like reasonable pedigree to me.

Was hoping for Bonar but only because I had seen him play live and thought him a star of the future.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Darth Vader wrote:Maybe they picked who they thought were the 2 best players available. Crazy.
Insanity!

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Despite all lot of criticism (mainly on this Forum) we have built quite a deep list, with cover for every position.

We are still light on midfield class at this moment. I think Billings, Gresham, Acres and Dunstan will go up to other levels, whether some of them or all of them become elite, remains to be seen. I'm backing all of them.

Despite uncertainty, Clark and Coffield are midfielders (the best available at our picks), our other 2 picks were probably what we considered the best two players available and they meet long term needs. We had a crack at Naish and obviously didn't rate any other midfielders available at those picks. We'll probably take Lamb in the Rookie Draft.

We're in a good position most positions covered with depth, knowing specifically what to add. I don't think Free Agency (at least next year) will get us what we need, we're going to need to go after someone out of contract or indeed contracted. We'll have plenty of money and players to trade.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I agree the list overall, while not brilliant, is solid.
We certainly won't be bottom 6.
We have a foundation to build on now.
No glaring weaknesses. Our age and salary profile is well balanced.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

No.

They’re looking at playing Patton as a mid.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:See I wondered about this as well but to a degree I’ve dismissed it...

I think Paton to Geary makes sense.

Clavarino to me is more about depth. Carlisle and Brown are here now... Logan could be ready to go now, Hugh needs more development time but it’s fair to say there are some concerns... 1 more key back is actually required.

Clark and Coffield are just required players... even if they just both play out their careers as attacking backman, it’s a luxury we don’t have... the best midfields aren’t 4 good guys... it’s a set of guns in the middle complimented by forward and back flankers that play good offensive and defensive football hurting the opposition.

We don’t have that amongst our backs.

Roberton is good.
Savage is too unaccountable
Webster is too inconsistent with his disposal
DMac is not damaging enough
Rice is unproven in anything
White has promise
Geary is too defensive... though he is a gun stopper
Gilbert is not damaging enough and better to suited to the utility role anyway
Hugh won't make it. Too slow of mind

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Will they help us make the 8 in 2018?

If not, we need some top ups from the delisted FA’s for a short term fix so we make the 8 next year. That’s a non-negotiable IMO.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Drake Huggins
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote:
Coffield --> Gilbert
Paton --> Geary

I think you are half right. Im confident that we have instilled some genuinely skilled footballers with these four.

I have no doubt that all four will impact at Sandringham immediately and force some decisions on some 21 - 25's who have underperformed and at the same time offer confidence to potential FA's who we look at for a 2020 tip at a GF and a window from 2020 to 2025.

If that is our window, logically Armitage, Geary, Gilbert and Brown wont be there. I thnk we may get 5 or 6 years more out of Carlisle but he is vulnerable to injury. He may even go forward.
Carlisle is so injury prone and vulnerable, he didn't miss a game this year. :roll:

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Will they help us make the 8 in 2018?

If not, we need some top ups from the delisted FA’s for a short term fix so we make the 8 next year. That’s a non-negotiable IMO.
We are not far off. We just need to finish off the gard work better in front of goal.

SMS
Club Player

We got the best players.
Claravino was AA CHB
Paton was AA back poclet wirh awesome skill. While teams were focussed on midfielders they stuffed up.
People complain about not getting constable? He was like the 10th best for his role. We got the BEST in their role.
Bloody excellent work from us. 4 quality best at their position players.

SMS
Club Player

No short asses or injury issues too!!!
Plus local boys! We are building chemistry. Richmond won a flag 80% on chemistry. And we are doing the same. These boys have been together years already. Many of em childhood besties ffs. Fantastic. Weve only got 2 go home
Factors and acres/dunstan are very passionate about the saints. They staying.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Buckenara reckons Clark will be a star and Coffield adds the class we need. So in his opinion we nailed it.

Nee!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I am glad we picked up 4 guys with good skills.

Our first two picks were best available at that pick.

Our third arguably was and certainly fills a need going forward.

Our last pick you are in the territory of lucky dip anyway.

Overall we went well.

That we needed to finish earlier to snag Cerra and Brayshaw there is no doubt. But we did not and so you can only pick what you can.

So IMO it is only the last pick you can question, and given it was a later pick he looks ok to me.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:
Coffield --> Gilbert
Paton --> Geary

Carlisle is so injury prone and vulnerable, he didn't miss a game this year. :roll:
Ŕead this Drakey. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... 6cd978f5bb

He still had trouble this season with back, hip and hamstring and was a close call on a few occasions.

Ankle surgery 2012, knee tendonitis since 2013, hamstring 2014, hip 2016. He prepares well and plays under the needle a bit I would imagine. He is vulnerable, no doubt in my mind.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like if Austin, Hugh or Oli come on, that he would benefit from the odd week off

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Sounds like if Austin, Hugh or Oli come on, that he would benefit from the odd week off
Definitely, and for heaven"s sake please dont ask him to ruck like Essendon did.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

We've certainly replenished the list and have set a foundation for our team post Gilbert/Armo, now that Dempster, Roo and Joey have retired.
We now have players in a healthy age range, and with Geary,Steven, and Brown still only in their late 20s, and able to play until the rest of list matures we shouldn't have any more years like 2013-2016. We still obviously lack the star power that the Bulldogs and the Tigers have though.
To go to the next level and play finals we really do need a Kelly type, and Sloane now is past the age profile we'd need.
Next season I am really looking forward to Paddy, Goddard and Freeman playing seniors consistently (hopefully).

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

samuraisaint wrote:We've certainly replenished the list and have set a foundation for our team post Gilbert/Armo, now that Dempster, Roo and Joey have retired.
We now have players in a healthy age range, and with Geary,Steven, and Brown still only in their late 20s, and able to play until the rest of list matures we shouldn't have any more years like 2013-2016. We still obviously lack the star power that the Bulldogs and the Tigers have though.
To go to the next level and play finals we really do need a Kelly type, and Sloane now is past the age profile we'd need.
Next season I am really looking forward to Paddy, Goddard and Freeman playing seniors consistently (hopefully).
Freeman was a project. Still not sure if it will turn out well but I think Meningola? from Geelong should give Freeman and Saints fan hope that a player can come good after a few seasons of injury. He has the talent, I just the hammies haven't ruined it but sports science is very good these days compared to the days of Crippa 20 years back.

Paddy and Goddard are still very young and have had mishaps and injuries which is just pure bad luck. They will come good once they get a decent go at it.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC