Welcome to St.Kilda #46 - Ben Paton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Welcome to St.Kilda #46 - Ben Paton

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2017-09-30/ ... -ben-paton

St Kilda has acquired Murray Bushrangers midfielder-defender Ben Paton with their fourth and final pick at No. 46 in Friday night's NAB AFL Draft in Sydney.

After being overlooked in last year's drafts, Paton returned to the Bushrangers this season as a 19-year-old overage player and thrived in a new role in defence.

The shift from the midfield to the backline paid dividends for the tenacious teenager, with his early season form attracting the attention of the Vic Country selectors.

Paton cemented a spot in the championships and performed so strongly he was rewarded with All-Australian selection in the same defence as new teammates Oscar Clavarino and Nick Coffield.

At the end of the championships, Clavarino played two games for Collingwood in the VFL, impressing with his seamless transition against senior bodies.

Although it wasn't the first time he had played senior football.

In 2015, a then 16-year-old Paton played 18 games for Mitta United in the Tallangatta and District Football League, where he handled his first exposure to mature bodies so well he won the best and fairest.

Paton enhanced his standing in the draft pool at the combine in October when he finished third in the standing vertical leap, jumping 80cm, before recording the sixth fastest time in the 20 metre sprint at 2.95 seconds.

Snapshot:

Height: 185cm
Weight: 77kg
Club: Murray Bushrangers/ Vic Country
Position: Defender-midfielder

BEN Paton couldn’t have asked for a better 12-month period, or a more remarkable turnaround in football fortune.

Twelve months ago, Paton’s Murray Bushrangers had just lost a tight TAC Cup grand final. He’d also missed out on an invite to the draft combine — as he was eligible to be drafted in 2016 — and received little love from AFL clubs.

Not that it concerned him too much, as a commerce degree — which would eventually help him break into the agricultural industry — beckoned.

“I hadn’t really met with any clubs, but I wasn’t too worried about it anyway,” Paton tells foxfooty.com.au.

“I had plans to come down to Melbourne and have a crack at VFL footy and go to uni.”

Fast-forward one year and the humble, quietly-spoken kid north-east Victoria is on the verge of seeing his second childhood AFL dream become a reality.

Ben Paton spent several years with the Murray Bushrangers,
Ben Paton spent several years with the Murray Bushrangers,
Source: Getty Images
The other dream being a Richmond premiership, which he witnessed last month just hours after racking up 21 disposals on the same MCG turf for Team Harvey in the Under 18s All-Stars clash — the curtain-raiser for the Tigers-Crows Grand Final.

For Paton, who models his game on ex-Tiger Brett Deledio — “I looked up to Lids ... until he moved” — September 30, 2017 was a fairly memorable day.

“The household was very up and about. I’ve been brainwashed by them,” Paton says.

A week later, Paton would produce three top-10 results at the AFL draft combine, finishing second in the running vertical jump (99cm), third in the standing vertical jump (80cm) and sixth in the 20m sprint (2.95 seconds).

“It’s been a good few weeks,” an understated Paton laughs.

The reality is Paton wouldn’t have been able to experience AFL Grand Final day at the MCG if it wasn’t for the Bushrangers’ creative thinking and show of faith 12 months earlier — faith Paton has undoubtedly repaid.

Ben Paton was part of the Murray Bushrangers’ TAC Cup grand final loss in 2016. Picture: David Crosling
Ben Paton was part of the Murray Bushrangers’ TAC Cup grand final loss in 2016. Picture: David Crosling
Source: News Corp Australia
As he mentally prepared to move to Melbourne to pursue university and VFL ambitions last year, Bushrangers coach Leon Higgins and then-talent manager Lee Fraser approached Paton with a shock offer.

“I really hadn’t heard much about being asked back as a 19-year-old until after the draft,” Paton reflects.

“It hadn’t really crossed my mind that much. But it was a great privilege and a great opportunity.”

For Higgins, who Paton credits as the biggest influence on his footy journey, the decision to retain Paton as a 19-year-old for the 2017 season — and play him in the defensive 50 — made ample sense.

“We thought he had a lot of attributes for TAC Cup footy,” Higgins told foxfooty.com.au.

“We thought we had quite a strong midfield group in that 2016 team, but we also thought he impacted the game really well as a forward that year. But we just reasoned that AFL recruiters had seen him do all of that and we thought he had all the tools to play as a small defender.

Ben Paton was a star at TAC Cup level in 2017.
Ben Paton was a star at TAC Cup level in 2017.
Source: FOX SPORTS
“The plan was for him to go forward a lot this year as well, but that didn’t transpire. He showed his marking ability and his speed as a defender, so he got to show some added things that recruiters mightn’t have seen in his first season.”

The move paid immediate dividends for Paton, who quickly developed into one of the TAC Cup’s best mid-sized backmen.

“I’ve been able to use my speed a bit this year to run off and rebound, plus I think my ball use has been really good off both my left and right foot,” Paton says.

Intercepting — a must-have trait for the modern-day AFL defender — has also been one of Paton’s biggest strengths.

According to Champion Data, he ranked second among general defenders in the TAC Cup for intercept possessions, averaging 6.8 per match.

“I think intercepting has come to me naturally,” Paton says.

Ben Paton of Vic Country won All-Australian honours in 2017.
Ben Paton of Vic Country won All-Australian honours in 2017.
Source: Getty Images
“I wasn’t too bad at it all through my junior career. Even just playing through the midfield, I was pushing back and intercepting.”

While his stunning start to the TAC Cup season turned heads, it wasn’t until Paton received an invite to a Vic Country try-out — “that had never happened to me before” — when the prospect of an AFL career became a possibility. And within weeks, many others were thinking similarly.

Not only did Paton make the final Country cut for the national championships, he was selected as a defender in the Under 18 All-Australian team.

“I thought that might be an indication that I was going well,” Paton says

“I was really proud of that. I didn’t really expect much of it at the time, as we had only won one game for the championships. But it gave me confidence that if I can compete against the best players in Australia, why not?”

Following his excellent national carnival, Paton had the opportunity to represent Collingwood in the VFL. Again he impressed in both games.

Playing alongside — and against — many mature AFL-listed bodies, Paton slotted into the Magpies’ side with aplomb, providing ample drive from half-back as he racked up 17 disposals against Werribee then 15 against North Ballarat the week after.

Yet it was as if Paton was already prepared for the step-up in class and bodies, as playing above his size was something he learned to handle early on.

In early 2015, a then 16-year-old Paton was unleashed in the midfield in the Tallangatta and District Football League senior competition, playing 18 games for Mitta United. He would win the club’s best and fairest for the season.

“Playing against men for a year is a great experience and it gets you ready for TAC Cup when you come up against bigger bodies,” Paton says.

“There were some big boys too, but it was just another person — that’s how I thought of it. If the ball’s there, you still go for it with the same intensity you would as anyone else.”

Paton comes from great country footy stocks. His father Steve played 190 games for North Albury — the club Paton played a few senior games for in 2016 — and was captain for six seasons.

Steve now operates a dairy and beef farm, which Ben has assisted with in the past. Albeit not too willingly.

“Milking the cows — I don’t think anyone enjoys that,” Paton laughs.

The bright lights of Etihad Stadium is a long way from the north-east corner of Victoria for Paton, who has spent more time in the hustle and bustle of Melbourne this year due to football commitments.

But he doesn’t mind it, as he’s prepared for whatever environment he’s thrown into.

“You can take the lifestyle a little bit for granted when you come down to the city,” Paton says.

“But I’ll move regardless next year anyway with uni, so I’m prepared to move anywhere. It doesn’t really bother me.”

Punt Road might be nice.

But wherever Paton is likely to end up at, the club will be picking up a determined and highly-skilled footballer whose remarkable 12-month turnaround has inspired his coach.

“All credit to Ben. He presents himself fantastically physically, he does all the work away from training and he looks after himself very well,” Higgins says.

“He decided he’d give it another crack, he gave it everything he possibly could and hopefully it works out for him in the end.”

Murray Bushrangers product Ben Paton has done his AFL credentials no harm with some excellent results during this week’s draft combine.

The 18-year-old featured in the top 10 of two categories in the testing process.

Paton finished third in the standing vertical leap, recording a jump of 80 centimetres.

He backed it up with the sixth best time in the 20-metre sprint, completing it in 2.95 seconds.

Paton made the under 18s All Australian side this year.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Re: Welcome to St.Kilda #46 - Ben Paton

No idea re Paton. Is a bit undersized, but looks to have a build that would be able to bulk up.

However, being an excellent kick (with either foot too) will make it hard for him to fit in at St Kilda. :wink:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:No idea re Paton. Is a bit undersized, but looks to have a build that would be able to bulk up.

However, being an excellent kick (with either foot too) will make it hard for him to fit in at St Kilda. :wink:
You’ve made a good point tonight with regards to our flankers (as have a few)...
It’s just hard to see where this guy fits in.

185cm, 77kg... do you think they’ve picked him up with the view to make him a mid?

Seems like there were better mid prospects available though

This is the only selection tonight that’s made me go huh :!:

chook23
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:No idea re Paton. Is a bit undersized, but looks to have a build that would be able to bulk up.

You’ve made a good point tonight with regards to our flankers (as have a few)...
It’s just hard to see where this guy fits in.

185cm, 77kg... do you think they’ve picked him up with the view to make him a mid?

Seems like there were better mid prospects available though

This is the only selection tonight that’s made me go huh :!:
looks like a future replacement for Geary

saint4life
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Finished top 10 in three areas in the draft testing

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-06/d ... every-test

Top 3 in the jumping.

Good pick up.

repta
Club Player

Hit and miss at 46.

Worth a crack. If he has foot skills and footy ability he could be molded.
Seems very light.

ace
Saintsational Legend

But does he have good character and come from a fantastic family ?
Surely those traits are far more important than ability to play football.

I read Richardson's lips as he sat alongside Trout "But what about his character and family"
Trout replied "Don't worry coach they are all perfect, I checked them out myself".

He'll fit in well at St Kilda.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
the dome
Club Player

Welcome Ben Paton

Welcome to St.Kilda Ben Paton.
I watched a few highlights this morning & did a bit of reading on here as well.
Wishing Ben all the very best for the future & his football journey in the red, black & white.

G O S A I N T S !

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Finished top 10 in three areas in the draft testing

Top 3 in the jumping.

Good pick up.

Yep. All the negative nellies who think they know better than the saints recruiters give me the irrates.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

saynta wrote:

Top 3 in the jumping.

Good pick up.

Yep. All the negative nellies who think they know better than the saints recruiters give me the irrates.
But they all watched a 5 min Youtube clip and read an article on the SEN website...surely that qualifies them to know better than Trout, Bains, Liberatore, Toce, Richo, etc. who do this for a full time gig. :roll:

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
saynta
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:
saynta wrote:

Top 3 in the jumping.

Good pick up.

But they all watched a 5 min Youtube clip and read an article on the SEN website...surely that qualifies them to know better than Trout, Bains, Liberatore, Toce, Richo, etc. who do this for a full time gig. :roll:

Trouble is they don't have the common sense to see how silly they appear to others.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

From what I see, Paton is a midfielder that only went down back after being overlooked in last years draft. It worked wonders as he is now drafted. He definately has a midfield tank then in some regards.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

saynta wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:
saynta wrote:

Top 3 in the jumping.

Good pick up.

Trouble is they don't have the common sense to see how silly they appear to others.
Some can't be helped! Its just some AFL supporters in general are like this. Saints have plenty of them like every other club.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:
saynta wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:
saynta wrote:

Top 3 in the jumping.

Good pick up.

Some can't be helped! Its just some AFL supporters in general are like this. Saints have plenty of them like every other club.
Probably have less than some though.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

saynta wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:
saynta wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:
saynta wrote:

Top 3 in the jumping.

Good pick up.

Probably have less than some though.
Very true. I would hate to support someone like Collingwood or Essendon for example. Too hard to handle the fellow supporters.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:

Top 3 in the jumping.

Good pick up.

Hallelujah

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

People are allowed to have opinions, and you don’t have to completely agree what the club does as that would be nonsensical and irrational.

However, for opinions to be taken seriously, they should be sensible and supported by good information and knowledge.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:People are allowed to have opinions, and you don’t have to completely agree what the club does as that would be nonsensical and irrational.

However, for opinions to be taken seriously, they should be sensible and supported by good information and knowledge.
You can have an opinion without the theatrics. Most on here have NFI. I would say 98%.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Premium89
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:
SaintPav wrote:People are allowed to have opinions, and you don’t have to completely agree what the club does as that would be nonsensical and irrational.

You can have an opinion without the theatrics. Most on here have NFI. I would say 98%.
Quite happy to put my hand up as one of the 98%! No feeerkin idea, but as long as we have plenty o passion I'm happy...

Wombat15
Club Player

Knightmare rated him in his 10 most underrated prospects. hes a top ager and ready to go. kicks both feet, fast, good leap, composed. Seems a handy value pick at 46.
Ben Paton
Position: General defender
Expected draft range: 30 to rookie
Why he can make it: Over-age half-back flanker Paton is arguably, by position, the highest performing player this year, averaging 23.7 disposals and 4.8 marks per game through the TAC Cup and 18.8 disposals and 4.3 marks through the Under-18 Championships. He is a well rounded, ready-to-go player with pace (2.95 second 20m sprint), clean skills, a reliable and penetrating kick and ball-winning capabilities.

Stian
Club Player

Wombat15 wrote:Knightmare rated him in his 10 most underrated prospects. hes a top ager and ready to go. kicks both feet, fast, good leap, composed. Seems a handy value pick at 46.
Ben Paton
Position: General defender
Expected draft range: 30 to rookie
Why he can make it: Over-age half-back flanker Paton is arguably, by position, the highest performing player this year, averaging 23.7 disposals and 4.8 marks per game through the TAC Cup and 18.8 disposals and 4.3 marks through the Under-18 Championships. He is a well rounded, ready-to-go player with pace (2.95 second 20m sprint), clean skills, a reliable and penetrating kick and ball-winning capabilities.
But if you kicked with both feet, wouldn't you fall over ??? :shock: