Jaxons views on draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jaxons views on draft

Jacks Back wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
SuperDuper wrote:
jaxons wrote:Confirming we are taking Clark and Coffield.
thanx Jax... as usual your early call at start of thread was spot on
Which was AFTER Cal Twomey's phantom draft.
What are you on about Con? Twoomey didn't pick either of those two at 7 and 8.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=94298

You are dead wrong.

"After a big build-up, the 2017 NAB AFL Draft is only one sleep away.

saints.com.au has compiled some of the selections made in phantom drafts around town.
Callum Twomey - AFL Media

7. HUNTER CLARK

St Kilda can't go wrong with Clark, who is a super all-round prospect. He can play as an attacking half-back, which he did well before this season, and as he showed in 2017 he is a very good inside midfielder. The Dandenong Stingray is courageous and composed, he kicks well on both feet, and can push forward to hit the scoreboard. He averaged 26 disposals this season. Clark doesn't crave attention and is laidback, but there's a steely resolve to him that will underpin his career. If the Saints want to add to their midfield, Clark is the best option here.

If not him? The Saints will have to see if anybody from the top group falls through. Will they look at Jaidyn Stephenson here? He may be a chance. As is Adam Cerra and Aaron Naughton, who the Saints have shown interest in.

8. NICK COFFIELD

The Saints have done plenty of work on Coffield throughout the year and would be able to pair him up with Clark to bring in two rock solid options who both offer some different things. Coffield is a quick, rebounding general defender who clubs also see playing in the midfield in the future and where he played some good footy this year. He uses the ball well and can set up the play, and he makes smart decisions. The Northern Knights captain averaged 21 touches at TAC Cup level this year and was selected in the under-18 All Australian team.

If not him? It wouldn't be a surprise to see the Saints jump at Aiden Bonar with one of their picks, and they have also put in time to check on Darcy Fogarty. One of them would bring some possible star factor to the Saints."

Pretty obvious really.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
SuperDuper wrote:
jaxons wrote:Confirming we are taking Clark and Coffield.
thanx Jax... as usual your early call at start of thread was spot on
Which was AFTER Cal Twomey's phantom draft.
What are you on about Con? Twoomey didn't pick either of those two at 7 and 8.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=94298

You are dead wrong.

"After a big build-up, the 2017 NAB AFL Draft is only one sleep away.

saints.com.au has compiled some of the selections made in phantom drafts around town.
Callum Twomey - AFL Media

7. HUNTER CLARK

St Kilda can't go wrong with Clark, who is a super all-round prospect. He can play as an attacking half-back, which he did well before this season, and as he showed in 2017 he is a very good inside midfielder. The Dandenong Stingray is courageous and composed, he kicks well on both feet, and can push forward to hit the scoreboard. He averaged 26 disposals this season. Clark doesn't crave attention and is laidback, but there's a steely resolve to him that will underpin his career. If the Saints want to add to their midfield, Clark is the best option here.

If not him? The Saints will have to see if anybody from the top group falls through. Will they look at Jaidyn Stephenson here? He may be a chance. As is Adam Cerra and Aaron Naughton, who the Saints have shown interest in.

8. NICK COFFIELD

The Saints have done plenty of work on Coffield throughout the year and would be able to pair him up with Clark to bring in two rock solid options who both offer some different things. Coffield is a quick, rebounding general defender who clubs also see playing in the midfield in the future and where he played some good footy this year. He uses the ball well and can set up the play, and he makes smart decisions. The Northern Knights captain averaged 21 touches at TAC Cup level this year and was selected in the under-18 All Australian team.

If not him? It wouldn't be a surprise to see the Saints jump at Aiden Bonar with one of their picks, and they have also put in time to check on Darcy Fogarty. One of them would bring some possible star factor to the Saints."

Pretty obvious really.
How many goes does he want to have? Monkeys and Shakespeare anyone?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

I'm feeling so relieved. (With a tad of luck) we have now addressed our desperate need for a half back flanker.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:I'm feeling so relieved. (With a tad of luck) we have now addressed our desperate need for a half back flanker.
It's a bit like that Spinal Tap song "Big Bottom" where everyone is playing the bass with all these half back flanker's.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The world has gone mad.
All of a sudden I am the positive bloke on here! These two look like absolute guns to me.

Never seen more negative nellys! :D

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

DJ Higgins wrote:And probably not...
Higgins - very very tough on the bloke I know, but he's just too small. Would end up another Lonie. (And yep, I know he's actually bigger than Lonie.) The trend is towards bigger, stronger mids, and that makes sense to me.

Too small mate, really?? I know you can google short afl players etc and find out that at 178cm he is far from the smallest. And calling him Lonie, well that's just mean. He has the best stats of all draftees and is so professional already. He will work harder than any other draftee to make it and make it he will. Draft an outside mid with the other pick, hopefully a slider, and play him as a small forward. I'll go one further give him #44 (Mav can get another number). Imagine seeing that number snapping goals again

And FYI Milne was only 176cm tall
Fair points DJ. I don't doubt that the bloke can play (which is why I had him as a 'probably not', c/f a 'definitely not').

The thing is, picking kids based on how they play against kids is problematic enough. So I tend to look at how big and solid a kid has the potential to end up being. This is what will allow them to successfully compete against AFL-sized bodies. (Hence why if one looks at, say a Stephenson, I can't see how he can successfully transition to succeeding against AFL-bodied men.)

Back to Higgins. He's probably solid enough, but given his height c/f how the trend is for mid fielders, I would always go for a bigger bloke. We already have plenty of smalls. And as for our mids, BAcres aside, we don't have a single mid-fielder who can rest up forward and be a marking threat. (Ok, Billings, but only if he can get a match up against someone around his height.) Blokes who can do this, are gold. And will become even more so, as reduced rotations lead to the forced more resting of on-ballers up forward.

This logic is also why I'm really really pissed-off that we didn't get Bonar. He ticks all the boxes. Fast, powerful, taller than most mids, inside/outside player, fearless, determined, can take a strong mark. We're gonna' regret passing on him, unfortunately. :(

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
SuperDuper
Club Player

there is always a lot of coulda shoulda woulda in draft analysis...
But an interesting one here is that it looks very much like we would have picked Clark ahead of Stephenson.

I recon Coffield was always coming it was just a matter of how we ranked Clark Bonar and Stepho... and we ended ranking Clark highest

So.. will be interesting to see how the two compare.. Pies obviously ranked Stepho higher
Last edited by SuperDuper on Sat 25 Nov 2017 12:19am, edited 1 time in total.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

This logic is also why I'm really really pissed-off that we didn't get Bonar. He ticks all the boxes. Fast, powerful, taller than most mids, inside/outside player, fearless, determined, can take a strong mark. We're gonna' regret passing on him, unfortunately. :([/quote]

its all hypothetical now but for mine the tigers got the biggest steal of the draft in Higgins at 17. Bonar could be a gun, but he is also injury prone so I understand why we passed on him. I also understand why people rated him so highly.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I agree...... Richmond will definitely be licking their chops over Higgins. A bit like our little steal when we picked up Gresham at 18.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:The world has gone mad.
All of a sudden I am the positive bloke on here! These two look like absolute guns to me.

Never thought I would see the day.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
saynta
Saintsational Legend

i'm with you mate. Great pickups.

And three all australians inside pick 46.

derby Street
Club Player

And what a pleasant change. :D And to be fair Con you did nominate Clark and Coffield in early November. Well done

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

thanks for the input Jaxons

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Drake Huggins
Club Player

And thanks for the 20/20 hindsight.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote:
Dave wrote:This logic is also why I'm really really pissed-off that we didn't get Bonar. He ticks all the boxes. Fast, powerful, taller than most mids, inside/outside player, fearless, determined, can take a strong mark. We're gonna' regret passing on him, unfortunately. :(
its all hypothetical now but for mine the tigers got the biggest steal of the draft in Higgins at 17. Bonar could be a gun, but he is also injury prone so I understand why we passed on him. I also understand why people rated him so highly.
Hi DJ, I gotta' say that if 'injury prone' is the reason we passed on Bonar, then I'll be doubly pissed off. The bloke has clearly made a full recovery.

The knock on the Saints has been the lack of an X-factor player, particularly in the mid field. Bonar is that player(!). But what have we done? Stocked up on yet more half back flanker types. :roll:

PS: If one could get hold of a crystal ball, and so see that a bloke in the draft would end up having two knee reco's, would one recruit him...?
PPS: Why is one looking at players' future injuries? :roll: Why isn't one using that crystal ball to get future lottery numbers, share prices, et al...?

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

All of a sudden I am the positive bloke on here! These two look like absolute guns to me. :D
Now don't you start resting on your laurels Con. :wink:

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Dave McNamara wrote:
DJ Higgins wrote:
Dave wrote:(
Hi DJ, I gotta' say that if 'injury prone' is the reason we passed on Bonar, then I'll be doubly pissed off. The bloke has clearly made a full recovery.

The knock on the Saints has been the lack of an X-factor player, particularly in the mid field. Bonar is that player(!). But what have we done? Stocked up on yet more half back flanker types. :roll:

PS: If one could get hold of a crystal ball, and so see that a bloke in the draft would end up having two knee reco's, would one recruit him...?
PPS: Why is one looking at players' future injuries? :roll: Why isn't one using that crystal ball to get future lottery numbers, share prices, et al...?
Not arguing with you & time will tell but I do see why we didn't get Bonar and why we could have. Isn't he a forward which we don't need as much as mids?
As for picking 3 defenders and one defender/inside mid (Clark) it confused me. I agree they all seem to be half back flanker types and none scream x factor. Clark may move into the midfield at some stage but apparently changed from an outside mid to an inside mid last year to make himself more appealing in the draft as well as gain another skill. From what i Have read he know has to work on his outside game again. Which means that we are left with Jack Steven as our only real outside mid option. I thought we would have got a mid with our third pick and we tried to with Naish (F&S call was always coming from Richmond). Then we got another back? And then another? No knock on Oscar or Paton but I don't get it.

SMS
Club Player

Jaxons, airely youre happy with the draft?
I think we did very very well.
Clark and Coffield could be anything theyre skills are elite in that draft class plus their tall big. No injury concerns no diabetes. Chemistry of all 4 picks is great. No go home factor. AA CHB and Paton is actually incredible his kicking/handballi both sides?? Phenomenol. Again big bodied.
I dont think Rice has the body for AFL. Too stocky too small.
Question marks on goddard had to get another best kpd if possible

Bonar - 2 knees and even so i think clark coffield better skilled.

Who else could we have picked?

Perfect draft imo.

SMS
Club Player

And jaxons i assume we getting lamb?

SMS
Club Player

And jaxons i assume we getting lamb?

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

SMS wrote:And jaxons i assume we getting lamb?
Give the guy a break. Now all this trade and draft stuff is nearly over, he can go back into hibernation for a few months.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
coopergrech
Club Player

It's not hard to answer a question like SMS said smartarse....

Cal Twomey is the guy with the most accurate information!
We will likely get Lamb though.

quote="parkeysainter"]
Give the guy a break. Now all this trade and draft stuff is nearly over, he can go back into hibernation for a few months.[/quote]

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

We don't yet have all the 'cattle' to contend for Top 4, so any added animals are welcome.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

coopergrech wrote:It's not hard to answer a question like SMS said smartarse....

Cal Twomey is the guy with the most accurate information!
We will likely get Lamb though.

quote="parkeysainter"]
Give the guy a break. Now all this trade and draft stuff is nearly over, he can go back into hibernation for a few months.
[/quote]

Send him a PM and hassle him even more then. Talk about people tripping over eachother to speak to the messiah! Lol

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
We don't yet have all the 'cattle' to contend for Top 4, so any added animals are welcome.
I think we have some very good stock

Posting 20 years of holey crap!