Jaxons views on draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jaxons
Club Player

Jaxons views on draft

My inbox is inundated with PM's asking my view, so this goes out to all who have asked.
My personal view is I would take Stephenson and Bonar, two players with X factor, that could be the two best in the draft.
We have heaps of soldiers on our list and need match winners.
I know the club is frightened given McCarten and Freeman of taking a risk on Bonar with his knee history and Stephenson with his heart condition.
My view they are going to compound a past mistake on Paddy and Freeman even further by playing it safe and not taking these two.
I feel we will play it safe and get Clark and Coffield, two more soldiers, and both are more half back flankers than midfielders.
We have 15 half back flankers on our list so I cannot understand this position.
Bonar and Stephenson may turn out to be the two best players in this years draft in my opinion, we need to be brave.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jaxons views on draft

Interesting insight. What impact does the heart condition have?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jaxon views on draft

jaxons wrote:My inbox is inundated with PM's asking my view, so this goes out to all who have asked.
My personal view is I would take Stephenson and Bonar, two players with X factor, that could be the two best in the draft.
I know the club is frightened given McCarten and Freeman of taking a risk on Bonar with his knee history and Stephenson with his heart condition.
My view they are going to compound a past mistake on Paddy and Freeman even further by playing it safe and not taking these two.
I feel we will play it safe and get Clark and Coffield, two more soldiers, and both are more half back flankers than midfielders.
Bonar and Stephenson may turn out to be the two best players in this years draft in my opinion, we need to be brave.
Is there any evidence Bonar is any good?
Coffield is fast and clean and looks like an AFL midfielder. Clark is a hard nut and looks like Jack Steele.
Dont see either as back flankers at all.

We have two top 10 picks.
The chips are already stacked in our favour.
No need to take a risk at this stage. Just stay calm. Dont panic.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 22 Nov 2017 10:40pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:My inbox is inundated with PM's asking my view, so this goes out to all who have asked.
I'm not sure about all that and I'm not following the pre-draft hullabaloo nor any of the threads on who we are going to pick (as if any of those threads would make any difference anyway) but I sure don't want any more half back flankers.

Give me X factors and match winners any day of the week compared to foot soldiers.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Take one certainty and one risk.

If I had to choose as my risk player just one then subject to medical advice I would want Stephenson then Bonar.

Another risk but with an almost guaranteed reward at 8 would be Higgins.

Coffield and Higgins or Clark and Higgins wouldn't be a bad way to go.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:Take one certainty and one risk.

If I had to choose as my risk player just one then subject to medical advice I would want Stephenson then Bonar.

Another risk but with an almost guaranteed reward at 8 would be Higgins.

Coffield and Higgins or Clark and Higgins wouldn't be a bad way to go.
Higgins is a slow midget. We have plenty of those already. I see him struggling at AFL level.
Coffield is very quick, tall, clean and a good kick and can end up as an AFL midfielder. Exactly what we need.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Coffield is faster, taller and a better kick than Stephenon.

Smartspeed 20-metre sprint
Jack Petruccelle - 2.87 seconds
Kane Farrell - 2.90
Aiden Bonar - 2.90
Ben Miller - 2.91
Nick Coffield - 2.91
Ben Paton - 2.95
Brent Daniels - 2.95
Stefan Okunbar - 2.95
Jaidyn Stephenson - 2.95
Nicholas Shipley - 2.97

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-06/d ... every-test
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 22 Nov 2017 11:20pm, edited 2 times in total.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Jesus christ. This is a weird post.
What does 'brave' mean?
What is 'X factor' apart from a s*** tv show?
Coffield is fast and clean and looks like an AFL midfielder. Clark is a hard nut and looks like Jack Steele.
Freeman is basically irrelevant. He was a pick 20 or so and a pace panic/local boy decision. McCartin was a panic selection because of Tom Boyd.
Yet here you are telling us to panic again?
Your logic is actually topsy turvy.
You are basically saying to double down on panic - becaause you know - one day you will strike gold!
This sounds the punter at the races chasing your losses by betting on the last few races of the day.

You need to pull your head in and let the guy have his opinion.
What is your expertise in the field?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Jesus christ. This is a weird post.
What does 'brave' mean?
What is 'X factor' apart from a s*** tv show?

You need to pull your head in and let the guy have his opinion.
What is your expertise in the field?
Pull my head in?
He is absolutely entitled to his opinion.

Dunno about expertise but funny how I said I wanted Coffield and Clark back on 2 November and Cal Twomey agrees with me on 22 November.
Just lucky I guess.

I also managed to mention issues in Zimbabwe in the same thread weeks before the coup.
Bloody uncanny.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Gotta say Con has a good point.

I'd take a risk at pick 20 or so but not in the lower part of the draft given how even it appears. That could potentially lead to a disaster.

Anyway, it shouldn't matter because if the club sticks to its methodoldy of ranking the top 50 picks, we get what we get.
Last edited by SaintPav on Wed 22 Nov 2017 10:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Apparantly Stephenson and Boner are not going top 10 anymore and more like a late 1st rounder. That is the whisper out there due to their injuries and/or condition.

I personally don't want to take anyone with some concerns regarding their body, injuries and conditions.
Last edited by parkeysainter on Wed 22 Nov 2017 10:51pm, edited 2 times in total.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
SMS
Club Player

Hey jaxons,
Thanks for the input. I had the same view BUT Hunter Clark is now my number one choice for us
His disposal, vision inside and outside work is elite. The way he spins out of trouble picks the ball up. We will get a bargain wih Clark.
Stephensons heart sounds bad unfortunetly. He was my second choice for us damn.
What about DFogarty? The way I see it Darcy may still be on the table.

I think Coffield and Clark are the correct choices.
Bonars knees may not be a problem for a few years but at 25 he may be cooked.

For that reason I think our list in order should be this ...
1. Slider - Dow, Cerra, Brayshaw
2. Clark
3. Coffield
4. D.Fogarty
5. Bonar

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Just watch this thread spiral out of control. Lol!

Jaxon's has spoken.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:Hey jaxons,
Thanks for the input. I had the same view BUT Hunter Clark is now my number one choice for us
His disposal, vision inside and outside work is elite. The way he spins out of trouble picks the ball up. We will get a bargain wih Clark.
Stephensons heart sounds bad unfortunetly. He was my second choice for us damn.
What about DFogarty? The way I see it Darcy may still be on the table.

I think Coffield and Clark are the correct choices.
Bonars knees may not be a problem for a few years but at 25 he may be cooked.

For that reason I think our list in order should be this ...
1. Slider - Dow, Cerra, Brayshaw
2. Clark
3. Coffield
4. D.Fogarty
5. Bonar
Sounds reasonable

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I personally have flipped again...

I’m sold on Coffield and feel as though unless a gem like Brayshaw/Cerra slips through, Stephenson sounds like the best mid available at our pick

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:Apparantly Stephenson and Boner are not going top 10 anymore and more like a late 1st rounder. That is the whisper out there due to their injuries and/or condition.

I personally don't want to take anyone with some concerns regarding their body, injuries and conditions.
Don’t know that outside of us, Bonar was ever really top 10...

I’ve been on holidays the last week... and sick at home unfortunately for most of it so have done a lot of reading.

Outside of his link to us, IMO most rate Bonar as #15-20 pick and this is largely due to less information available due to injury in the past... or to put it another, whilst his best has on occasion been amazing, he’s produced considerably less of it than most.

The risk isn’t injury... ppl generally don’t know how good he is compared to others. He could be a flash in the pan.

Stephenson on the other hand is a genuine talent... rated by many as the best mid in the draft, even now there’s an odd post suggesting he’s number one, many suggesting he’s top 5, even more linking him to us.
He’s seems to have the best outside game with a lot inconsistent feedback on his disposal... some say it’s elite, others say inconsistent.

W/O a shadow of a doubt the most fluctuating player in terms of status on the board.

My opinion... he’s seems to consistently play good to excellent football as a mid and is considered a match winner because of his leap.

I’d take him

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

What actually IS the heart condition Stephenson has?

There are many and varied.

I had one called AF - where your heart beats to an irregular rhythm and massively increases your stoke risk.

I had my heart restarted and since then (about 18 months), it’s been beating normally and I no longer see a cardiologist.

Just giving an example of something very serious that is now all clear.

Anyone have the deets??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
ace
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Interesting insight. What impact does the heart condition have?
When was the last time a team without heart won a premiership.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Lenny Hayes had a heart issue later in his career. It all depends on what it is. Atrial fibrillation could be a big problem, ventricular fibrillation very serious (forget football in both of these cases), but if it's a case of an extra or premature beat, it may be managed. I have ventricular ectopics, which are benign (a premature beat), but when you get them you feel very faint and weak. Some arrhythmias are caused by having additional electric impulse sites within the heart...like having too many spark plugs. These can be fixed by zapping the site to stop the spark plug from firing. One of the more common types of these is Wolff-Parkinson Syndrome. Some of the more benign arrhthmias can also be exacerbated by a lack of magnesium and potassium in the blood. Magnesium is is critical to the electrical function of the heart. So, depending on the type, the symptoms can range from temporary dizziness and weakness to cardiac arrest. I'm guessing if you've been playing football flat out at under 18 level, you're unlikely to have one of the more serious arrhythmias. Still, and unmanaged benign arrhythmia can still mean a risk of feeling dizzy and unwell during a game.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I agree with the OP regarding playing it too safe.
The two resources we have in spades are HB Flankers and Inside Mids.
We have little to no x factor: Billings and Gresham maybe?

I think 1 safe bet and 1 risk

Clark and Stephenson

Nee!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Reading the draft profiles, the query on both Clark and Coffield is their ability to play midfield at AFL:

Clark:
The 18-year-old showed he can play in the midfield at under-18 level, but there still remains some doubt for clubs on whether he can do that in the AFL, particularly as he didn't get a chance to do it in the under-18 carnival. He doesn't have a huge tank and hasn't recorded elite levels in the beep test, and although he's relatively smooth, he doesn't have that breakaway pace that other players possess.

Coffield:
The question on Coffield will be his ability to play in the midfield at the next level and whether he has the running capacity to move there more permanently than the stints he had in there this season

Nee!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:I agree with the OP regarding playing it too safe.
The two resources we have in spades are HB Flankers and Inside Mids.
We have little to no x factor: Billings and Gresham maybe?

I think 1 safe bet and 1 risk

Clark and Stephenson
I don't understand this logic at all.
Don't you just go for the two u actually think will be the best?
Coffield is the fastest of the lot and would probably be the fastest bloke on our list.
He is exactly what we need.
A quick outside mid who can kick.

carn_sainter
Club Player

I don't follow this too closely at all but i watched a bonar highlights video.

My observation is that he lacks fundamental skills and technique. His kicking action is all over the place.

I'm declaring my ignorance, having watched only a couple of minutes of highlights, but he struck me as a Jarod Brennan.

shrodes
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:What actually IS the heart condition Stephenson has?

There are many and varied.

I had one called AF - where your heart beats to an irregular rhythm and massively increases your stoke risk.

I had my heart restarted and since then (about 18 months), it’s been beating normally and I no longer see a cardiologist.

Just giving an example of something very serious that is now all clear.

Anyone have the deets??
Not sure what it is, but I did read that we had put in for a second opinion regarding it, so it seems like we might be at least considering Stephenson if the doc gives the all clear.

This article seems to think we are keen on Coffield who we have apparently put some work into
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-dr ... 26506384b6

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:Interesting insight. What impact does the heart condition have?
When was the last time a team without heart won a premiership.