Nick Riewoldt: Game Changer

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shrodes
SS Life Member

Nick Riewoldt: Game Changer

https://themongrelpunt.com/afl/2017/11/13/game-changer
The next time you see your key forward crashing into a pack on the wing and taking a mark, or out-sprinting his opponent on the way back to goal, picture Nick Riewoldt. That is what he brought to the game. Others may be great players, and they have added a thing or two to their game. Very few change the game. Nick Riewoldt is one of those select few.
A great look at how Nick changed the way forwards play. No longer can anyone (including our Paddy) be a stay at home forward.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Nick Riewoldt: Game Changer

shrodes wrote:https://themongrelpunt.com/afl/2017/11/13/game-changer
The next time you see your key forward crashing into a pack on the wing and taking a mark, or out-sprinting his opponent on the way back to goal, picture Nick Riewoldt. That is what he brought to the game. Others may be great players, and they have added a thing or two to their game. Very few change the game. Nick Riewoldt is one of those select few.
A great look at how Nick changed the way forwards play. No longer can anyone (including our Paddy) be a stay at home forward.
Well let's see what they do with the interchange cap over the coming years. If they reduce it further, which I think they eventually will to open the game up more, we'll see more of the stay at home forwards.

On Riewoldt, every time I think of him and the other great players we had In that era - Lenny, BJ, Dal to name just a few - I can't believe we didn't bring home at least one premiership flag.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
shrodes wrote:https://themongrelpunt.com/afl/2017/11/13/game-changer
Well let's see what they do with the interchange cap over the coming years. If they reduce it further, which I think they eventually will to open the game up more, we'll see more of the stay at home forwards.

On Riewoldt, every time I think of him and the other great players we had In that era - Lenny, BJ, Dal to name just a few - I can't believe we didn't bring home at least one premiership flag.
We lucked out with our timing.

It’s a cliche but it is true.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I don't think there's ever been a key forward play the game the way he did. And none with a tank as big. He was an absolute freak and we were lucky to have him.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Proph3t of egan
Club Player

I don't really think he revolutionised the game that much, purely due to the fact that no one else has been able to play like he has.

One of a kind

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Great article.

Sums up Roo perfectly. In top 3 CHF's of the past 40 years for mine