Invited To train

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint6709
Club Player

Invited To train

When do guys we might be considering rookying get invited down to train ? ie Tom lamb, Hartung , Talia etc - doesn't look like its happened yet - does that mean we haven't got our eyes on anyone or that the time hasn't come for that yet ?

diddley
Club Player

Re: Invited To train

It has now been reported that 3 players will be training with the saints before draft time. Starting Monday.
Sam Collins. (Freo)
Tom Lamb. (WC)
Will Fordham. (NM)

So, no dice if you were keen on the likes of Hartung or Talia.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
bigred
Saintsational Legend

fair I guess.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

If we recruit one of those three and they become a regular player we are well on our way.

Can’t rely on FA and top 10 picks only

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saint6709
Club Player

Good to hear - Lamb the only one that I would want

silverhalo
Club Player

I actually think all 3 boys have a bit to offer - if I had to choose only one, I'd probably go for Tom Lamb because he's got X factor but I'd need to know why he hasn't broken into the Weagles side - from memory, he was a bit of a slider in the draft with reports that although he was highly skilled, he lacked the commitment to make it, bit lazy / laconic. Maybe this is the kick in the pants that he needs.....

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I don't think we've picked anyone up that's trained with us lately.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
SuperDuper
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote:I don't think we've picked anyone up that's trained with us lately.
Probably the 3 of them battling for one rookie spot

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Collins would be very good depth and Lamb is a long shot that could pay off in a big way. Take the most impressive player IMO.

minneapolis
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:Collins would be very good depth and Lamb is a long shot that could pay off in a big way. Take the most impressive player IMO.
Is that your careful and deeply thoughtful decision?

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
saint64
Club Player

I was bullish about Lamb in his draft year, but we have to be careful not to let sentimentality pull the wool over our eyes.

damienc
Club Player

How many available rookie spots do we have? Could we take all three? Or are all three fighting for one possible spot?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote:How many available rookie spots do we have? Could we take all three? Or are all three fighting for one possible spot?
I am not certain if it is current but the rules claim we can have from 4-6 rookies. I think we have 4 currently.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

Lamb seems to have the most untapped potential. He was highly rated in his draft year but slid down the order, mainly over concerns around dedication and attitude. Unfortunately, the Cokers couldn't turn him around for the very reason 17 other clubs passed on him. The boy can really play, but so can plenty of young blokes currently running around the 'burbs. Put Jarryn Geary's head on Tom's shoulders and you'd have a very good player. If we had to choose one of the 3, I hope they take him. Worth the gamble as a rookie.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:I don't think we've picked anyone up that's trained with us lately.
I’m confident we’ll pick up Lewis Pierce this time.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
silverhalo
Club Player

Mav Weller

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Fordham looks pretty good. Good runner and skilled. Big bodied mid too. Worth a punt.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
saynta
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... d65179279e

"AXED Eagle Tom Lamb is hoping to revive his AFL career — and a piece of history — at St Kilda.

Lamb is one of three delisted players who have been given permission to train with the Saints, according to the AFL website.

Former Fremantle defender Sam Collins and axed North Melbourne midfielder Will Fordham are also hoping for a lifeline, most likely in the rookie draft.

Lamb is the grandson of Ian Cooper, who played in St Kilda’s only premiership in 1966.

He was delisted after just one game in three seasons for West Coast.

After being recruited from the Dandenong Stingrays at pick 32 in the 2014 draft, Lamb made his debut in Round 1 the following season, kicking a goal and picking up 10 disposals against the Western Bulldogs.

But the 21-year-old has languished in the WAFL since. He played 18 games for East Perth this year, averaging 16 disposals, four marks, 2.6 tackles and just over a goal a game.

In his draft year he was rated as an athletic and freakishly talented — but frustratingly inconsistent — forward.

Lamb said the Eagles had floated the possibility of redrafting him on November 27.

He played as a key forward in the WAFL before being released late in the season.

“In the latter part of the year I played across half-forward, and I was able to use my athleticism to get around the ground,” he told the AFL website last month.

“They also experimented with me across half-back, but I think high half-forward and wing is more my go.

“I also had to contend with some pretty good senior players like Josh Kennedy, Jack Darling and Mark LeCras, so it was pretty hard to crack a game.”

Collins, 23, played 14 games for Fremantle as a key defender while Fordham failed to crack a senior game at Arden St after being recruited in the 2014 rookie draft.

The trio will join St Kilda’s squad for training at Seaford on Monday."

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Yuk, would rather re-draft tom lee than tom lamb... sentimental family ties to the 66 team is possibly the worst reason to draft a player I could think of. Really sad stuff.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

And who do we lose to fit one of these guys in. Only so many spots on the list. I don't know enough about these players but: -
we got Logan as a defender so why get Collins as well. In saying that I would still draft Noughton if available but thats for another post.
We have enough small forwards so there goes lamb and the fact we may draft another (HIggins) doesn't help his chances and
Will Fordham wasn't good enough to play for Nnrth Melbourne? Why would we want him

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote:And who do we lose to fit one of these guys in. Only so many spots on the list. I don't know enough about these players but: -
we got Logan as a defender so why get Collins as well. In saying that I would still draft Noughton if available but thats for another post.
We have enough small forwards so there goes lamb and the fact we may draft another (HIggins) doesn't help his chances and
Will Fordham wasn't good enough to play for Nnrth Melbourne? Why would we want him
We dont lose anyone necessarily. We can take 2 more rookies. Tom Lamb is an extremely athletic 193cm forward/midfielder not a small forward. He would play wing/half forward if he got a game. Im not sure we will take any of them but I expect a number of exits at the end of this season if guys who have been in our system for a while don't come on in a big way. We also look set to invest big cash into FA. All three are worth trying for little output.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote:
DJ Higgins wrote:And who do we lose to fit one of these guys in. Only so many spots on the list. I don't know enough about these players but: -
We dont lose anyone necessarily. We can take 2 more rookies. Tom Lamb is an extremely athletic 193cm forward/midfielder not a small forward. He would play wing/half forward if he got a game. Im not sure we will take any of them but I expect a number of exits at the end of this season if guys who have been in our system for a while don't come on in a big way. We also look set to invest big cash into FA. All three are worth trying for little output.
I assumed that we would take pierce back as a rookie and our later picks in the draft if we use the picks' Have to admit I am speaking from a position of ignorance here and I know nothing of these players only the comments printed above. No problem with them training with us but I doubt any will join us next year as well so just think its a little odd

footynut
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote:
I have never seen Tom Lamb could be groomed to play a key defensive post? If he reads the ball well, has good skills and is willing to crack in, we could end up with another play that can plan both ends of the ground. What do people think?

Drake Huggins
Club Player

My thoughts exacy DJH. If he couldn't get a game in that shitstain club, what makes anyone think he can improve our best 22? Pass.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."