Revised title: How can the Saints retain members better?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Revised title: How can the Saints retain members better?

For the purpose of this thread, I want to disregard the concepts of loyalty, duty, tradition etc. For those of us that have been long term members, we’ll pbly continue to be so no matter what.

In the world of the AFL however, we are at best a middle of the range club... pbly top half of the lower half of all clubs.

Now ppl that sign up for new memberships usually do so to go to games of football. And that’s fine.

However, a season or two in for some people the novelty wears off. Or work/personal commitments change and it’s harder to get to games, or the Saints are trending down and ppl don’t want to us lose all the time.

So here’s my question: what does the St.Kilda FC do to keep members?

And from what I can see, the answer is not much. Did you know I’m a 20 year member and in all of that time, I’ve never so much as got a thank you call from the Saints. Not a thank you card. Not a single bit of correspondence that wasn’t trying to sell me something.

Can’t imagine it’s the same for members of the power clubs... maybe it is I don’t know.

So here’s my idea. Obviously we’re not a rich club... the idea that we’ll be gifted corporate box games and whatever is non-sensical but maybe the club can do a few more cost effective things to show the members they care and build some loyalty from more ambivalent members.
I always liked the idea of loyalty program... get stuff that rewards you for staying on.

Phone calls from players or coaches
Tour of Moorabbin, see the inner workings
The opportunity to help out at opportunity to get some merch signed
Exclusive to members on line sites, forums etc
How about once every 15 years or so, you get invited into the rooms on a match day... seriously how much could it really cost to let 1 or 2 ppl into the rooms and get them to keep out of sight?

Think I might write a letter to the club. Anybody else have any suggestions?

Junior
Club Player

Re: Why would anyone be a member of the Saints?

Been a member for 37 years and have been invited a couple of times to a midweek presentation with Finnis and Richardson.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Living in Perth for several years, for many reasons,
yet daily feeling nostalgia for Melbourne...I hold tightly to my Saints membership as a tangible relic of Melbourne.
Each year the stickers go on my car rear window.
'Member 2017' etc
Saints backpack, Saints cap with year proudly displayed.
Captain's run in Perth for Perth games.
Pre-game function is great too.
Finnis flew over once last year, to visit Western Saints and do a Q & A,
and it was pre-season and out of the blue.

Last year when I hadn't printed off my e-ticket for the WA game, 2 days before the game,
I got a surprising call from a staffer asking if I was having trouble printing it and could they assist.
That shows they take us seriously.
I don't need anything more, personally.
But that's just an interstate member. My $0.02 worth.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
coopergrech
Club Player

I agree with you skeptic. I have been a member for 16years (only aged between 18-22) and have not received one thing from the club which is very poor. Not even a thankyou blah blah blah or even anything you mentioned.

They want members and do s*** for first year members (sometimes) , BUT WHAT ABOUT 10+ YEAR MEMBERS, or even after 5 years!

Only thing you get is crappy letters/emails telling you to give them more money for themselves that is all..pathetic form

Agree with you skeptic.
skeptic wrote:For the purpose of this thread, I want to disregard the concepts of loyalty, duty, tradition etc. For those of us that have been long term members, we’ll pbly continue to be so no matter what.

In the world of the AFL however, we are at best a middle of the range club... pbly top half of the lower half of all clubs.

Now ppl that sign up for new memberships usually do so to go to games of football. And that’s fine.

However, a season or two in for some people the novelty wears off. Or work/personal commitments change and it’s harder to get to games, or the Saints are trending down and ppl don’t want to us lose all the time.

So here’s my question: what does the St.Kilda FC do to keep members?

And from what I can see, the answer is not much. Did you know I’m a 20 year member and in all of that time, I’ve never so much as got a thank you call from the Saints. Not a thank you card. Not a single bit of correspondence that wasn’t trying to sell me something.

Can’t imagine it’s the same for members of the power clubs... maybe it is I don’t know.

So here’s my idea. Obviously we’re not a rich club... the idea that we’ll be gifted corporate box games and whatever is non-sensical but maybe the club can do a few more cost effective things to show the members they care and build some loyalty from more ambivalent members.
I always liked the idea of loyalty program... get stuff that rewards you for staying on.

Phone calls from players or coaches
Tour of Moorabbin, see the inner workings
The opportunity to help out at opportunity to get some merch signed
Exclusive to members on line sites, forums etc
How about once every 15 years or so, you get invited into the rooms on a match day... seriously how much could it really cost to let 1 or 2 ppl into the rooms and get them to keep out of sight?

Think I might write a letter to the club. Anybody else have any suggestions?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

How fascinating!!!

Love to know other people’s experiences.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

I got a cake once. Some young player dropped it at my house before xmas.

I pay my membership hoping that they will give their all, thats all I ask for.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:I got a cake once. Some young player dropped it at my house before xmas.

I pay mine and 8 other memberships each year just to help the club out. Been doing that for years,

Dont ask for or expect anything back in return.

I was born into a saints family and will die still supporting them.

Anyone questioning why they should be a member should ***** . They are not needed. IMHO.

(edited by MOD
swearing is just not necessary - the swear rule has been in place for quite a while now)

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

I've been a member for 50+ years and get an invitation to presentations by the club. Richo and Finnis explaining where we're at and where we're going.

The past few years I've received a certificate personally signed by Matt Finnis In Appreciation of my years of membership.

I don't expect anything other than being able to see my team play and hopefully prosper.

We've got over 40,000 members, you can't expect them to do something for every individual member.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

I'm a 48 year member and get free social club for being a +40 year member.

Wouldn't it be great to get an invite to the rooms occasionally, or the odd invite into a StKilda corporate box.

It's called marketing. The type of value add suggested would almost certainly help to attract new memberships as well as retain existing members.

What a buzz it would be getting a call from a player inviting me to the the rooms at the next home game. I can visualise the receptionist at the office...Jack Billings on line one for you.....

takeaway
Club Player

Happy just to see the team play football. Jack Billings is better honing his skills on the field (ie goal kicking) rather than on the phone to members.

The club have enough general functions where members can attend, that is enough for me.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:I'm a 48 year member and get free social club for being a +40 year member.

Wouldn't it be great to get an invite to the rooms occasionally, or the odd invite into a StKilda corporate box.

It's called marketing. The type of value add suggested would almost certainly help to attract new memberships as well as retain existing members.

What a buzz it would be getting a call from a player inviting me to the the rooms at the next home game. I can visualise the receptionist at the office...Jack Billings on line one for you.....

See I think this is a particularly pertinent post.

The POV I’m trying to get across is not how can we mooch more off the club... the fact is that we’re a poorer a less successful club. We should be working harder to get and more importantly keep members and to be honest, am a little shocked that in some cases the club does more than zero.

My own experience... I thought long and hard about giving it away when it looked like Essendon would get off Scottfree regarding the drugs scandal. Didn’t renew my membership til rd3 that year... was quite surprised that not even an admin person called to enquire.
Reeks of poor retention.

My back ground is in mental health... and in that field, some of the ppl that you work with are forced to have treatment under the law. And I tell you, if someone doesn’t want treatment, doesn’t think they’re crook and doesn’t want to be there, you have to work pretty hard to keep them coming back

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

I don't mind that they don't spend $$$$ flying staff around the country to hand deliver membership kits- as apparently Essendon have done a couple of years ago-- all those Millions from some supporters.

We seem to lack supporters with Huge $$$

I fully understand the need to use sponsors names to support recognition.

Given how they sometimes seem to need to push and shove fundraising to supporters / members I get the feeling some/ many of Saints fans take the 'poor me' to mean- I wont give more than I need to..

Why don't we have fans who when the going gets tough- go and get tougher and bring more in - as Essendon fans did.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I don't care if no one thanks me for becoming a member. For me the perfect thank you would be a premiership.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:I don't care if no one thanks me for becoming a member. For me the perfect thank you would be a premiership.
See I kind of feel like the point is being missed here. For us diehards, most of us will be members no matter what.

But the fact is we have a large supporter base that doesn’t translate into that many actual memberships.

What I’m trying to get at is how can a membership package at the Saints be more attractive to get and keep members not how can I get more

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:I don't mind that they don't spend $$$$ flying staff around the country to hand deliver membership kits- as apparently Essendon have done a couple of years ago-- all those Millions from some supporters.
I was going for ideas that don’t really cost the club money

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Do other clubs do it any different? I personally have no idea as only ever been a Saints member.

The club will get over 40k members again so some must be happy!

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Fair points.

Club could do a bit better at communicating to members about where they think the club is heading.

Most we hear is public relations and spin.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Don't give a continental about getting gifts, rewards, inside info or contact with players.

The club can reward my years of support by recruiting well, kicking straight, and playing finals.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:I don't care if no one thanks me for becoming a member. For me the perfect thank you would be a premiership.
See I kind of feel like the point is being missed here. For us diehards, most of us will be members no matter what.

But the fact is we have a large supporter base that doesn’t translate into that many actual memberships.

What I’m trying to get at is how can a membership package at the Saints be more attractive to get and keep members not how can I get more
I'm not sure we do have a large supporter base. Not anymore. I get the distinct feeling that the wheels started falling off around 2012-13 re membership. I was almost as if some members just got too dispirited and haven't renewed.

I've gotta say, I know the tiges have a huge fan base, but for mine there is no more loyal group of supporters. They have stuck with the club for 30 odd years and barely played finals. When they finally are successful they SELL OUT 3 x MCG finals! :o One of those finals was against a club that has about 3000 supporters. It's almost unheard of.

Our crowds have been pretty poor and fairly quiet tbh. I reckon many of our diehards are falling off the perch and they're not being replaced by the younger generation. It was almost as if that 2010 GF was last straw for many. We need to be successful every year. ie play finals to stay relevant.

noddy04
Club Player

My wife and I have been members since 1990. We have travelled 1000s of miles by car and plane to support our club. Firstly we were Interstate members and then in 1998 we were full members. I helped run a Saints chatroom with Spelly and a few others until they stopped. Saintbrat and myself then ran it. Every wednesday a player would do a Q & A thing and we had over 1000 people on a couple of times. When the Chatroom stopped I received a Signed Jumper from the club signed by R Harvey and Nathan Burke. Never been worn and prob wont be as it is a small size and im not. For a while Grant Thomas used to come into the chatroom which was always good. He invited my son and I into the change rooms before a game against the Crows at AAMI stadium. He organised with his PA to send the necessary gate passes and when we went in he came up with Harves and we all shook hands. Fantastic experience. I have been lucky enough to help hold the banner at AAMI (numerous times) Adelaide Oval every game we have played here, Against Richmond at the MCG ( awesome experience) and 2 times at Etihad. So very lucky. When Stan was the coach i had a drink at the bar at a little club at the airport with Nicky Winmar. We played on the Sat night and on the following day we had a function with the players. Spider took all the kids for a footy session and then flogged his headbands. Stan got all the players on the stage at this function and we all sang the song. It was 1997. I have been to Moorabinn on a Sat morning for merchandie and gone out to the oval to watch Fraser Gehrig go through a fitness test. We were asked to go behind the goals and return the balls that he was kicking. 2 years ago Jen and I were invited into the rooms after the drawn Cats game and i had a photo with our Jason Holmes and also Sam Gilbert. We have always got merch signed and pics with players and coaches at Captains runs etc. One time we walked out of a function at AAMI and barry Hall was next to us. I asked if he would like to come home with us so my 2 sons could take him to show and tell at school the next morning. He laughed and said As long as we feed him he would love to. LOL. I have been lucky enough to meet Saintbrat, Dools, Jigging saint Bails, Loris and so many others through the saints family. For me the StKilda Football owes me nothing I will be a member until they send me on my final lap. I love my Footy club second to my family. Thanks Skeptic for bringing the subject up :)

asiu
Saintsational Legend

big bad bustling barry to school for show and tell

thats brilliant

i'm one of those who snapped the shites after the 10 loss

not because of the loss
but because of the utter bullshite i had to listen to at Linton St the next day

broken hearted people don't need spin

only this year did i start sending a dollar or two towards my club

its the KIDS

surely , the greater proportion of our ageing membership has kids n grandkids

give us stuff ... stickers , key rings , window transfers , balloons ,
the next trending thing in rwb , lunch boxes , drink bottles etc etc to give to the KIDS

its like this joint

wheres the KidsKorner ?

its not that hard

long term ='s supporting OUR soft sell of the kids
with the 'tricks' to get the job done

this mob of ours couldn't organise a ---- in a -------.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:

And the reason why is because St Kilda have only won one premiership. Success breeds success which translates into dollars.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

This is one of my favourite hobby horses, which in part I believe comes down to having a home, it's a shame about the Junction Oval development, but at least Moorabbin's coming along, hopefully one day we'll get our own VFL team, which adds massive 'value' to the membership imo.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot people have gone off Docklands Stadium. I personally don't like going there anymore, I think it's sh*t and prefer going to the VFL, which is only time I use my membership. If we can have a Saints VFL team playing out of Moorabbin on Saturday/Sunday arvos that would be brilliant for someone like me. We don't even get pre-season games in our zone anymore.

The women's comp will add more value to membership too, which I'm looking forward to.

Interesting you use Richmond as an example, they've got it great, with VFL at Punt Road, and AFL across the street at MCG open air, and can take in all pubs and shopping in the immediate area if wanted. Great visibility of their home ground from trains and street, which we could have had at Junction, shame.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Darth Vader
Club Player

saynta wrote:
mullet wrote:I got a cake once. Some young player dropped it at my house before xmas.

I pay mine and 8 other memberships each year just to help the club out. Been doing that for years,

Dont ask for or expect anything back in return.

I was born into a saints family and will die still supporting them.

Anyone questioning why they should be a member should f*** off. They are not needed. IMHO.
Agree with this. I see it as a donation and expect nothing back.

Vazelos
Club Player

I have been a Saints supporter since 1979 and have loved the club unconditionally since then.
Some of my greatest thrills were at Moorabbin behind the goals at Linton St end watching Plugger at his prime.
Trevor Barker made me understand what a Saint person really meant... Strength through loyalty.
I am a fiercely competitive person and love winning on all KPIs....
I want us to be a strong proud club unfortunately missing Premierships have hurt us considerably.
I have seen some amazing players and exciting football and I just want to see 1 premiership.
I struggle with the Etihad experience when only 20,000 odd people turn up and the atmosphere is underwhelming.
They do their best with the membership packs.