Entire draft and rookie picks

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Entire draft and rookie picks

My ideal draft

7 Brayshaw
8 Cerra (or bonar if cerra gone)
34 Miers
45 McCartin

Rookie
Brayshaw (other)
Talia
Roughsedge

Others thoughts

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Entire draft and rookie picks

From what I have read (I say read as I have not personally seen any of the talent on offer play) we should get two quality players with our first two picks. The two will in large part determined by exactly who the other clubs take.

If we are fortunate in who the other clubs take Cerra may slide to us. That would make me most content.

Looking at it analytically it would seem that Bonar would be a very speculative pick at 7 or 8 compared to the other players on offer. From what I have read from the draft watchers with reasonable track records Bonar will not be top 8 and to take him top 8 would in large part be basing it on form from two year back.

I am hoping that at least one of Freo or Pies (ad hopefully even both of them) take a tall so that our two picks are both mids.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 29 Oct 2017 3:02pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
maverick
Saintsational Legend

I agree srr, I have read mostly but have watched probably 4-5 games this year.
Bonar is interestkng, if both cerra and Brayshaw are available we need to take them, but unless a very highly rated mid is still there at 8, I think bonar is worth the risk.

We need to take some risks to get elite players in my view.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Having looked at the draft videos of the top 10 players, I don't see why there is such a gulf between the top 3-4 players and the next group.
Happy we have retained both our picks.

Brayshaw and Cerra/ Fogarty for mine.

Nee!
st sandy
Club Player

Back from having my book signed by Nick at the Sandringham festival
Great to see a long line of saints supporters to respect the great man.....i always shed a little tear when you see babies is saint colours, just goes to show that there will be those after us to keep the faith

So i understand that we will be taking four picks in the national draft

There are other threads on this topic however, with the rookie draft, we have dropped two (NOK & Coughlan) & we wish to rookie Lewis Pierce
Can someone confirm that we will have one live pick in the rookie draft?

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Gee, I miss Emma Quayle this time of year!

saintly
Saintsational Legend

st sandy wrote:Back from having my book signed by Nick at the Sandringham festival
Great to see a long line of saints supporters to respect the great man.....i always shed a little tear when you see babies is saint colours, just goes to show that there will be those after us to keep the faith

There are other threads on this topic however, with the rookie draft, we have dropped two (NOK & Coughlan) & we wish to rookie Lewis Pierce

yes 1 live pick in rookie draft.

curretn saints rookies
1 irish bloke
2. marshall
3. will have Pierce
4. new rookie

maverick
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
st sandy wrote:Back from having my book signed by Nick at the Sandringham festival

curretn saints rookies
1 irish bloke
2. marshall
3. will have Pierce
4. new rookie
Isn't Irish bloke different category rookie?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
saintly wrote:

curretn saints rookies
1 irish bloke
2. marshall
3. will have Pierce
4. new rookie
We have 2 Irish bloke Rookies.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
maverick wrote:
saintly wrote:

curretn saints rookies
1 irish bloke
2. marshall
3. will have Pierce
4. new rookie
Actually if I recall correctly the two Irish players were recruited under different categories....so only one is an "Irish Bloke" rookie.

Under an AFL agreement with the Gaelic Athletic Association (AFL) clubs are only allowed one Irish player on their international (category B) rookie list which dictates that the older player Connellan is likely to come to the Saints as a category A rookie.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:
maverick wrote:
saintly wrote:

curretn saints rookies
1 irish bloke
2. marshall
3. will have Pierce
4. new rookie
Actually if I recall correctly the two Irish players were recruited under different categories....so only one is an "Irish Bloke" rookie.

Under an AFL agreement with the Gaelic Athletic Association (AFL) clubs are only allowed one Irish player on their international (category B) rookie list which dictates that the older player Connellan is likely to come to the Saints as a category A rookie.
Interestingly, if one Irish bloke is a category A Rookie and the other Irish bloke is a category B Rookie, then collectively, that makes for 2 Irish bloke Rookies.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:My ideal draft

7 Brayshaw
8 Cerra (or bonar if cerra gone)
34 Miers
45 McCartin

Rookie
Brayshaw (other)
Talia
Roughsedge

Others thoughts

I don't know about Talia, but otherwise I reckon you've nailed it (at least in terms of my preferences :wink: )

brewski
Club Player

7 Darcy Fogarty
8 Aiden Bonar/ Cerra
34 Petruccelle/Worpel
45 Parish/McCartin

Rookie

Mullett
Talia
Tom Lamb

I think Fogarty is a must and I differ from most here, dont really rate Brayshaw seems a bit cookie cutter

Banned by the censors
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Brayshaw need

Hunter Clark are into big time

Milne would be great get.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
silverhalo
Club Player

brewski wrote:7 Darcy Fogarty
8 Aiden Bonar/ Cerra
34 Petruccelle/Worpel
45 Parish/McCartin

Rookie

Mullett
Talia
Tom Lamb

I think Fogarty is a must and I differ from most here, dont really rate Brayshaw seems a bit cookie cutter
Agree with Brayshaw looking a bit Vanilla....neat and tidy but we need X Factor

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

geesh if we dont get XXX this year we might be in a bit of trouble

Seeya
silverhalo
Club Player

I'm a big fan of Jack Higgins but I can accept the argument that maybe we don't need another small midfielder / forward type - I've got a soft spot for Jack because he played with my son for 4-5 years at Ormond and has always been a cut above the rest of the pack. NICK COFFIELD is one that I would definitely take at 7 or 8 - exceptionally fast, tall midfielder that can play forward or back so very versatile....I really liked what I saw of him on YouTube and would be a lock for me........hopefully Trout agrees!

Drake Huggins
Club Player

silverhalo wrote:I'm a big fan of Jack Higgins but I can accept the argument that maybe we don't need another small midfielder / forward type - I've got a soft spot for Jack because he played with my son for 4-5 years at Ormond and has always been a cut above the rest of the pack. NICK COFFIELD is one that I would definitely take at 7 or 8 - exceptionally fast, tall midfielder that can play forward or back so very versatile....I really liked what I saw of him on YouTube and would be a lock for me........hopefully Trout agrees!
Higgins is Gresh 2.0 silverhalo. Have him in a heartbeat. The kid is so dedicated and determined to make it in the AFL. He has given away his year 12 studies to focus on building an AFL body and tank. Suits our needs perfectly, quickish, clever and really good around the goals. Push Gresh into the midfield and have Jack up forward as the defensive forward until he develops into a gun midfielder. I say yes. Size doesn't matter in this case.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Drake Huggins wrote:
silverhalo wrote:I'm a big fan of Jack Higgins but I can accept the argument that maybe we don't need another small midfielder / forward type - I've got a soft spot for Jack because he played with my son for 4-5 years at Ormond and has always been a cut above the rest of the pack. NICK COFFIELD is one that I would definitely take at 7 or 8 - exceptionally fast, tall midfielder that can play forward or back so very versatile....I really liked what I saw of him on YouTube and would be a lock for me........hopefully Trout agrees!
Higgins is Gresh 2.0 silverhalo. Have him in a heartbeat. The kid is so dedicated and determined to make it in the AFL. He has given away his year 12 studies to focus on building an AFL body and tank. Suits our needs perfectly, quickish, clever and really good around the goals. Push Gresh into the midfield and have Jack up forward as the defensive forward until he develops into a gun midfielder. I say yes. Size doesn't matter in this case.
Can never have too many Jacks :D

Just need a nickname...

Ump: 'it's your free, Jack!'
cue utter confusion as 7 players converge on ball
just like a soccer penalty :shock:
It won't happen often as the green slime don't give us much

<edit: warned by myself for derailing the thread
to save the mod squad some work>
If I PM myself but refuse to open it, does it matter?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:
maverick wrote:
saintly wrote:

curretn saints rookies
1 irish bloke
2. marshall
3. will have Pierce
4. new rookie

Interestingly, if one Irish bloke is a category A Rookie and the other Irish bloke is a category B Rookie, then collectively, that makes for 2 Irish bloke Rookies.
The Irish Bloke reference was to both being International rookies. Which only one is. The other is a normal rookie. So is an Aussie Bloke ;)

With the entry of the Gold Coast Suns and GWS Giants into the AFL, clubs were permitted to have a minimum of four and up to eight players on their rookie list but starting from 2013 the maximum will be reduced to six. These six rookies are now classified as Category A rookies.

In addition to these six rookie-listed players, each club can include up to three additional players (now referred to as Category B rookies)

IRISH ROOKIE PRE-SELECTION

Irish players can be signed directly to a club’s Rookie List under the International Player Rule and do not have to go through the draft. Previously, Irish players could not be listed as Category B rookies but took a spot on the main Rookie List.

Clubs can now list one Irish player as a Category B rookie but for each additional Irish player rookie listed, that player will be deemed to be a Category A rookie and the club will forfeit its last selection in the Rookie Draft for each additional player listed.

silverhalo
Club Player

Drake Huggins wrote:
You've convinced me Drake! I remember Jack used to play for his team on a Saturday at Ormond and then go round again soon after on the same day with a higher age group and would almost always be BOG.....he was amazing. He's a really good kid and the family is brilliant.....his Dad used to push him really hard with all these drills to hone his skills, i.e kick left / right foot etc and we used to think it was all a bit full on but look at where he is now.....on the verge of being a Top 10 pick.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote:
Can never have too many Jacks :D

Just need a nickname...

Ump: 'it's your free, Jack!'
cue utter confusion as 7 players converge on ball
just like a soccer penalty :shock:
It won't happen often as the green slime don't give us much

<edit: warned by myself for derailing the thread
to save the mod squad some work>
If I PM myself but refuse to open it, does it matter?
It's like Schrodinger's Cat, WS. The warning doesn't exist until you open your inbox. Up to that point, it exists in two quantum states, simultaneously.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

silverhalo wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote:
You've convinced me Drake! I remember Jack used to play for his team on a Saturday at Ormond and then go round again soon after on the same day with a higher age group and would almost always be BOG.....he was amazing. He's a really good kid and the family is brilliant.....his Dad used to push him really hard with all these drills to hone his skills, i.e kick left / right foot etc and we used to think it was all a bit full on but look at where he is now.....on the verge of being a Top 10 pick.
If he was at Ormond then pluggsy (or his mum & dad) :wink: should now about him.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
SMS
Club Player

Hunter Clarke is becoming a massive bolter.

His numbers and skill is pretty hard to ignore.

Either way as lon as we get two mids id be happy.

Will spew if we get noughton or constable. But all else will be great.

minneapolis
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote:
maverick wrote:
saintly wrote:

curretn saints rookies
1 irish bloke
2. marshall
3. will have Pierce
4. new rookie
To be sure. To be sure.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.