VERY IMPORTANT MESSAGE NEED STKLDA ADMIN/COACHES TO SEE THIS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Re: VERY IMPORTANT MESSAGE NEED STKLDA ADMIN/COACHES TO SEE

SMS wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:Pretty sure the very expierenced and well staffed recruiting team at the Saints is all over the draft. I have full confidence they will make the best calls on pick 7 and 8 based on all their data, research, interviews, watching games, etc. It is their full time jobs after all.
See this is the problem. All these interviews and tests and psychology BS!!!

It takes the very obvious choice and greys it SO then we become confused and pick the footballer with less skill and ablity. Stephenson cant field kick to save himself he is NOT natural and never will be. Thats my main concern. But also he doesnt mark meaning his coordination is questionable. The speed of afl will make that worse not to mention everything ese. The ones I want are natural, skilled - class. Look at the way they handle the ball make decisions.

Constable doesnt kick. No way is constable better than coffield. The poise and decisions and ball use from coffield is all class.

Anyway im trying to say STOP with the over complicating and pick the best footy player.

I will spew up SPEW UP if we get stephenson or constable.

And FWIW Long better come good cause not picking Bolton instead is looking bloody ridiculous
SMS, no disrespect but the recruiters at all 18 clubs really know their stuff as do St Kilda's. I have never seen any of these top 20 picks play a game of football so I trust the experts and people in the know will select the best talent. They have watched these kids every week plus a whole heap of other stuff.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Drake Huggins
Club Player

Stephenson does have a question mark over his field kicking. Even his highlights reel isn't great in that regard. He is quick, knows how to get it and is good around the goals, but several of the draft experts have questioned his kicking. We really don't need another bloke who can get it but can't hit targets, consistently. Higgins, Bonar, Brayshaw or Coffield for me. Id love to LDU, but he'll go one or two, I reckon.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
vacuous space
SS Life Member

SMS wrote:Its that simple. 8 players in order.
8 classy skilled midfielders
It's not simple at all. LDU, for example, was 9th at the champs in disposals. That's after starting off the carnival with 34 against a bad Allies team. You may be willing to say he'll be a better mid than the 8 guys with more ball, but I'm far less certain. LDU was 4th on Vic Country in clearances (behind Dow, Cassidy Parish and James Worpel). He was 4th in contested possession (behind Dow, Worpel and 2018 draft prospect Sam Walsh). Does that sound like the resume of a mid who is going to dominate against AFL midfielders? I am far less certain than others seem to be.

And what happens if none of these guys are dominant mids? What if Oscar Allen, Jarrod Brander or Sam Hayes become stars while we're trying to invent a Josh Kelly? Is it okay because we already have Membrey, Bruce and McCartin? I don't think so. I don't think we're good enough at any one position to pass on genuine talent. We've got a very good CHB, but give a few development years and he'll be pushing 30.

It's also possible that onball will be a position of strength in 12 months. Acres, Dunstan, Gresham and Steele all showed they could be dominant in patches. It's entirely conceivable that in a year we're talking about how we need to upgrade Bruce or Brown more than our need for a star mid. It's very difficult to project where we're going to be in 1, 2 or 3 years. It's even harder with the kids. Fyfe was a pick 20 who might be a Stevie J type. Dangerfield was a surprise pick 10. The whole thing is far more alchemy than science.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

The title of this thread surely qualifies it as clickbait.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:The title of this thread surely qualifies it as clickbait.
Agree.

With no Emma Quayle reviews there is nothing of substance to go on.

I’m spewing no we didnt hire Emma now Bainsy has gone

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Psychosaint66
Club Player

Fooled me. :lol: A wonder though that this thread hasn't been locked like all those others. I like locked threads. Just like locked wards. Makes me feel at home. :D

On topic, I want us to just recruit some psycho nut jobs!!! That's the real problem with our club! We're the league's proudly psycho club, yet, it's been far too long since we had some decently psycho players! :idea:

I still love this club though! :D :D :D

Image Cute but psycho. Things even out.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

SMS, why are you SHOUTING the title of your post?

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:SMS, why are you SHOUTING the title of your post?
It's a look at me post

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

magnifisaint wrote:
It's a look at me post
I'm sure Trout and co will take notice. :o

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
It's a look at me post

I certainly did

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Saints94
SS Life Member

10/10 for the thread title.

Brayshaw & Stephenson plz.

MickThomas
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
It's a look at me post
Trout, big fish...
Maybe someone will take SMS out on a fishing boat and...
Leave him out there :mrgreen:

(damned phone keyboard!)
Last edited by MickThomas on Thu 26 Oct 2017 7:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:[

And what happens if none of these guys are dominant mids? What if Oscar Allen, Jarrod Brander or Sam Hayes become stars while we're trying to invent a Josh Kelly? Is it okay because we already have Membrey, Bruce and McCartin? I don't think so. I don't think we're good enough at any one position to pass on genuine talent. We've got a very good CHB, but give a few development years and he'll be pushing 30.

I am kind of hoping that the other clubs before us pick at least one, if not two talls. Meaning that we can go best available and will most likely then get mids.

There is at least one tall who will be top 8, if not 2. if the first 6 are all mids, then at least of ours will probably be a tall.

I tend to think that with your top 10 picks that you very much still need to be picking best available player. My main exception to this is if the player is a ruckman unless he is dramatically better than the next guy as early rucks are very risky and take way too long to develop.. Even then with Longer, Hickey and Marshall on board with Pierce "in case of emergency" I would avoid. ruckmen to me are nest gotten in as mature aged players.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Psychosaint66 wrote:
Fooled me. :lol: A wonder though that this thread hasn't been locked like all those others. I like locked threads. Just like locked wards. Makes me feel at home. :D

On topic, I want us to just recruit some psycho nut jobs!!! That's the real problem with our club! We're the league's proudly psycho club, yet, it's been far too long since we had some decently psycho players! :idea:

I still love this club though! :D :D :D
Who would you say classifies (as you put it) some psycho nut jobs!!! ?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
SMS
Club Player

It needs to be heard and seen!!!
Stephenson and Constable are shite.
We need to have balls and pick Bonar with Brayshaw/Cerra/Higgins/coffield.

Bonar is back firing. 190cm beast dows it all. Local boy. Last time we let injuries infouence a first round decision ... C.Judd.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:

Bonar is back firing. 190cm beast dows it all. Local boy. Last time we let injuries infouence a first round decision ... C.Judd.
Judd was shoulder regis.. ..much safer bet than knee issues

Nee!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Guaranteed that we will get something like:

"We are really pleased to have X at the club. We have watched him closely all season and we we were grateful he was still there when our pick came up. We think he fills a need at the club. Hes a kid of great character and maturity. It was a real pleasure spending time with his family and getting to know them. We think he will be a 200 game player for us."

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

We made the wrong choice when we had pick 1 last time - and there was a clear stand out midfielder.
It will be more good luck than good management if we get either picks 7 or 8 right.
It will be a bloody miracle if we get 2 guns.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:Guaranteed that we will get something like:

"We are really pleased to have X at the club. We have watched him closely all season and we we were grateful he was still there when our pick came up. We think he fills a need at the club. Hes a kid of great character and maturity. It was a real pleasure spending time with his family and getting to know them. We think he will be a 200 game player for us."
What should the Sainters say about any of our new draft picks then Con?

Myron Gaines
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote:

“Trout has been pissed since 88 & had no idea who to pick so we checked out Emma Quayle’s phantom draft & went off that. FMD I hope we got it right, it’ll be pure luck if we did.”

- in trout we trust

SuperDuper
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote:

"We are not really happy to end up with X. Hes actually a bit of a knob and we are pretty sure he wont work very hard, and will probably cause the next St. Kilda scandal. And the guy really cannot kick. But there was not much left after all the decent players were taken at picks 1-6"

vacuous space
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:There is at least one tall who will be top 8, if not 2. if the first 6 are all mids, then at least of ours will probably be a tall.
I assume you're referring to Naughton. I would also be surprised to see him available at our picks. Looks the prototype key defender and is among the younger players in the draft class. I'm less enamoured with the 'played senior football' thing than some, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

Worth keeping in mind that we've got recent form on sliders (Goddard, Gresham, Battle). I wouldn't rule out Jarrod Brander or Darcy Fogarty. Those are guys thought to have 1st overall potential who didn't quite meet expectations this year. The narrative on Brander, in particular, doesn't make much sense. He looked good at both ends playing as a key for the worst team in the carnival. His few games in the TAC were for the worst team there too. It makes some sense to have him behind Naughton, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he winds up the better player.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
kalsaint
Club Player

SMS wrote:Higgins was the best player. He is gresham mk2 why not have 2 greshams?? Lonie is failing and monty retired. 2 midgets out 1 gun midget in.

Id take higgins over stephenson constable any day. Hes skill is phenomenol
Fancy execution skills may look good at junior level but so many don't get the time to use them in AFL the same way.

Go for midfielders only. Not small players again.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
SMS
Club Player

fugazi wrote:
SMS wrote:

Judd was shoulder regis.. ..much safer bet than knee issues
Agree. Disnt realise how bad knees were. I have since stated no to bonar. Im pretty sure he wont go first round. Whoever gets him will bw stupid. So probably us. :(

Brayshaw and Higgins!! Come on!!

SMS
Club Player

Whoever isnt taken (from kangas) -
Cerra, Brayshaw, Stephenson
*Higgins

End of.