Bains vs. Finnis

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Re: Bains vs. Finnis

Con Gorozidis wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:We were such a basket case after the Lyon/Nettlefold era the AFL sent in two Accountants (Bains and Finnis) to steady the ship and sort the books out.
Both are accountants. Simple as that.
That is what went down in the last 5 years.
Bains only role was to fix our TPP position. That's it.
Finnis role is to make sure we arent pissing the money the AFL gives us up the wall or blowing it all on coke and dodgy deals.
That's it.
Its like sending in the administrators to a company facing liquidation.
That is what has happened.

Con you are either living in the 70s still or a small country town where they have meat tray raffles to finance their footy club.

why on earth does the CEO have to even barrack for the club. Sure as hell most coaches or players didn't come in barracking for their club.

The CEO of a big footy club (which we are) has a role that is bigger that just been a supporter and that is what you want and need. Any issues are covered by the CEO reporting to the board (who of course are your big supporters)

FYI tom Harley ( that well known swans player!!!) is the next CEO of Sydney. It's about business acumen and leadership.
Fqf
Very well said. My thoughts are similar.

This isn't the 60's and AFL clubs are multi million dollar businesses...like it or not. These CEO's aren't running some Div 3 club out in the sticks with a couple of hundred members.
No they don't have to barrack for the club.
But Finnis and Bains are completely unproven.
Finnis came from the players association. Bains from the Ammos.
I come from a place where facts trump marketing spin.
Besides an active marketing department it remains highly unclear whether the last five years has been successfully adminstrated.
Con - Whilst passionate you may be - this largely shows what an ill informed person you are. Or perhaps delusional. Why would you be so belligerent (Thrice!) in asserting that Bains and Finnis are both accountants. NEITHER of them are accountants. And NEITHER of them were sent in by the AFL.

Excellent point re: Tom Harley. Should we go back to the 'good bloke' days of having Bongo Payze run the club?

So, why would you do that Con? Just to (poorly) make a point? To make yourself look like you know more than the average Joe? All you've done is make yourself look ill informed, naive and frankly, just a touch south of silly.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:We were such a basket case after the Lyon/Nettlefold era the AFL sent in two Accountants (Bains and Finnis) to steady the ship and sort the books out.
Finnis role is to make sure we arent pissing the money the AFL gives us up the wall or blowing it all on coke and dodgy deals.
That's it.

Con you are either living in the 70s still or a small country town where they have meat tray raffles to finance their footy club.

why on earth does the CEO have to even barrack for the club. Sure as hell most coaches or players didn't come in barracking for their club.

The CEO of a big footy club (which we are) has a role that is bigger that just been a supporter and that is what you want and need. Any issues are covered by the CEO reporting to the board (who of course are your big supporters)

FYI tom Harley ( that well known swans player!!!) is the next CEO of Sydney. It's about business acumen and leadership.
Fqf

This isn't the 60's and AFL clubs are multi million dollar businesses...like it or not. These CEO's aren't running some Div 3 club out in the sticks with a couple of hundred members.
Besides an active marketing department it remains highly unclear whether the last five years has been successfully adminstrated.
Con - Whilst passionate you may be - this largely shows what an ill informed person you are. Or perhaps delusional. Why would you be so belligerent (Thrice!) in asserting that Bains and Finnis are both accountants. NEITHER of them are accountants. And NEITHER of them were sent in by the AFL.

Excellent point re: Tom Harley. Should we go back to the 'good bloke' days of having Bongo Payze run the club?

So, why would you do that Con? Just to (poorly) make a point? To make yourself look like you know more than the average Joe? All you've done is make yourself look ill informed, naive and frankly, just a touch south of silly.
Both were sent from the AFL.

What exactly are you defending? We have had 6 straight years with no finals.

Just repeating mindless meaningless terms like 'good operator' and 'well regarded in AFL circles' will not change this.
Not a single finals appearance in 6 straight seasons.
If we don't make finals in 2018 that will be 7 straight years.
Objectively this means the Finnis-Bains-Richardson era will have been an unmitigated failure by any measure. Any measure.

If I am 'ill informed' then please enlighten me. Note that blind hope and faith are not evaluation measures.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Saintmatt wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:
That's it.

Fqf

Both were sent from the AFL.

What exactly are you defending? We have had 6 straight years with no finals.

Just repeating mindless meaningless terms like 'good operator' and 'well regarded in AFL circles' will not change this.
Not a single finals appearance in 6 straight seasons.
If we don't make finals in 2018 that will be 7 straight years.
Objectively this means the Finnis-Bains-Richardson era will have been an unmitigated failure by any measure. Any measure.

If I am 'ill informed' then please enlighten me. Note that blind hope and faith are not evaluation measures.
Do you just dislike smart, educated and talented men in suits Con?

We are in rebuild and started it at the very bottom a few years back (you obviously know this) so us not making finals yet is a ridiculous attempt to discredit the ability and performance of Bains, Finnis and Richo.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Drake Huggins
Club Player

I think Con has a point. 6 years without finals is unacceptable no matter which way you spin it. Successful clubs don't tolerate that rate of failure. We need to consistently make finals to remain relevant. The saints are well versed in the art of excuse making. Our appalling history has conditioned us to accept chronic failure. Sad, but true.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Drake Huggins
Club Player

We're also in the 6th year of a rebuild and we're 11th. Elshyte is an incompetent disgrace. Sack him now, based on his efforts in the 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016 drafts. How does this professional arse licker keep getting important jobs? Let's get someone competent into the most important job in the club, who has some formal and demonstrated expertise. His CV is based around licking Denis Pagan's bum for ten years and being fired by Ross Lyon. He always wanted to be an AFL coach, an ambition that has been crushed by his demonstrated incompetence. Why are we stuck with this clown?

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Drake Huggins wrote:We're also in the 6th year of a rebuild and we're 11th. Elshyte is an incompetent disgrace. Sack him now, based on his efforts in the 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016 drafts. How does this professional arse licker keep getting important jobs? Let's get someone competent into the most important job in the club, who has some formal and demonstrated expertise. His CV is based around licking Denis Pagan's bum for ten years and being fired by Ross Lyon. He always wanted to be an AFL coach, an ambition that has been crushed by his demonstrated incompetence. Why are we stuck with this clown?
I acknowledge he picked stars in Blacres, Gresh, Billings, Ross...
But overall, his drafting is underwhelming.
While some of us here, including me, say the club is poor at developing youngsters,
perhaps it's not the club+dev staff,
but just that Trout can't do his job well, and gets them fool's gold instead of genuine prospects?
In every industry, people change jobs and move around.
Why hasn't this bozo looked elsewhere ?
Is he scared that others will notice he is no good?
And why isn't the club more critical ?
Instead of praising him for Gresh/Acres/Billings,
they should be asking 'why can't you get more of these instead of delivering numpties most of the time?'

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

<off topic image removed by mods>

Drake Huggins
Club Player

His record is incredibly poor, given the number of high picks he's had. 13 top 25 picks, for very little return, missed Bontempelli and Petracca. The guy's a proven dud. His appalling record speaks for itself. We should've been back in contention 2 years ago. Instead, we are languishing in the twilight zone. He's a proven dud, no one else wanted him. Why us? He's all we could afford. So Sainters.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:His record is incredibly poor, given the number of high picks he's had. 13 top 25 picks, for very little return, missed Bontempelli and Petracca. The guy's a proven dud. His appalling record speaks for itself. We should've been back in contention 2 years ago. Instead, we are languishing in the twilight zone. He's a proven dud, no one else wanted him. Why us? He's all we could afford. So Sainters.
Really if Elshaugh is a disgrace then what does that make the master recruiter Silvagni? Check out his record!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!