Even Dal Thinks We Suck

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Even Dal Thinks We Suck

I know it's Captain Obvious stuff, but it kind of hurts hearing it come from him.
Nick Dal Santo wrote:“I know Rooey (Nick Riewoldt) it wasn’t the best year he has ever had. Leigh Montagna was not at his best anymore. Sean Dempster didn’t play this year, but overall I don’t know how they are going to fill those voids.”
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/10/19/ ... nts-future

I just can't help bemoaning the fact someone like Josh Kelly passed on us. I'm beginning to think Ameet Bains is a bust.
Last edited by Sainternist on Fri 20 Oct 2017 2:06am, edited 1 time in total.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Drake Huggins
Club Player

Re: Even Dal Thinks We Suck

And Dal's not one who is usually given to hyperbole.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

How did we fare after Lockett left? Made the 1997 Grand Final.

How did we fare after Harvey left? Made the 2009 Grand Final.

Players will step up and fill the void.

Where did those 3 champions finish in this years B&F ... and we got 11 wins from a hard FIXture.

They guided in the next generation.

Plenty of improvements left within our list.

On track.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Junior
Club Player

BackFromUSA wrote:How did we fare after Lockett left? Made the 1997 Grand Final.

How did we fare after Harvey left? Made the 2009 Grand Final.

Players will step up and fill the void.

Where did those 3 champions finish in this years B&F ... and we got 11 wins from a hard FIXture.

They guided in the next generation.

Plenty of improvements left within our list.

On track.

Spot on our improvement needs to come from the younger players we have.

Love Dal but Dempster did not play, Joey could no longer kick over a jam tin and Rooey could not change direction. As good as all three of these guys were they were not going yo be the answer next year.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

And Armitage played 1 and a half games all year and didn't play a senior game after round 2.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

If he thinks we "suck", Dal needs to grow a set! Or get the phuck out of our way!
Last edited by thejiggingsaint on Fri 20 Oct 2017 3:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

What Dal said was 100% commonsense.

Anyone who can't take it should get of the way.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

oops
Last edited by saynta on Thu 19 Oct 2017 10:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

felix
Club Player

Always thought we played better without too...login and Carlisle will set us free...you'll see.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I agree with the jigster and I will tell you where the improvement will come from.

For a start from our injured and unavailable players in 2017, McCartin, Armitage, Freeman and Goddard and from our improving younger players in Billings, Acres, Steele and White.

Chuck in improved goal kicking ability courtesy of Ben Dixon, a bit of luck with picks 7 and 8 and I think we are finals bound,

So f*** you Nicky dal.

avid
Club Player

saynta wrote:I agree with the jigster and I will tell you where the improvement will come from.

For a start from our injured and unavailable players in 2017, McCartin, Armitage, Freeman and Goddard and from our improving younger players in Billings, Acres, Steele and White.

Chuck in improved goal kicking ability courtesy of Ben Dixon, a bit of luck with picks 7 and 8 and I think we are finals bound,

So f*** you Nicky dal.
So a truly great St Kilda footballer expresses an opinion on how St Kilda will cope without some of his old teammates, which not only differs from your opinion, but somehow OFFENDS you.
And you think it's perfectly appropriate to scream F*** You at him?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:I agree with the jigster and I will tell you where the improvement will come from.

So f*** you Nicky dal.
That's a bit harsh for having an opinion. It will certainly interesting not having those blokes there but a good thing as they were stifling the team.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

avid wrote:

So f*** you Nicky dal.
So a truly great St Kilda footballer expresses an opinion on how St Kilda will cope without some of his old teammates, which not only differs from your opinion, but somehow OFFENDS you.
And you think it's perfectly appropriate to scream F*** You at him?
yep. and I like dal. :wink: , So you do know what I think you can do, don't you, cause I don't know or like you. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil:

Anyway, I think jigster shares my view. Why don't you have a go at him, hero.

<poster received PM>

saynta
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:

So f*** you Nicky dal.
That's a bit harsh for having an opinion. It will certainly interesting not having those blokes there but a good thing as they were stifling the team.
I am sick of the knockers on this forum and then to top it off have one of our own in the media start knocking us too is a bit much. Won''t do much for our membership and the guy's supposed to be coacking the saints youngsters. Not a good look.

Anyway, I feel free to express my opinions within the rules. I am sure the mods will let me know if I overstep.

Apart from them, I don't really give a rats what any other poster thinks about what I post.

I do agree with your last comment though, as sad as it is, it was the truth.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I'm pretty happy with the list and 7 & 8 will compliment.

After this year my only concern is the coaching and game style. That needs the most improvement in 2018 - weren't in enough games to even give a solid crack.

To the top
SS Life Member

Dal Santo played some superb football at St Kilda but he was one of the reasons we did not achieve the ultimate because a tag saw his performance seriously wane

He just could not work thru hard attention hence an ordinary record in finals, which is where you are measured

Hence to North Melbourne, who ultimately retired him absent the premiership he went there to achieve - and, in fact, from winning their first 10 games in 2016 the wheels fell off and badly

Riewoldt battled injury which very significantly impacted on his performances but, of more importance, could not play the mid field role he performed in 2016, allowing Mc Cartin, Bruce and Membrey to develop their chemistry

Dempster did not play

Montagna had a variable season, finally cruelled by injury

All these players were well into their 30's and announced their retirements - different to Dal Santo at North Melbourne where the Club announced his Contract would not be extended because the focus was on youth

So perhaps some sour grapes

With Goddard, whose on field demeanour would not have been consistent with mentoring, St Kilda did not attempt to retain Dal Santo and that decision was correct in both instances

The future is with the First Round Draft Picks we have had post Richardson, those we have traded for being Carlisle and Freeman and the experience of Gilbert, Armitage and Steven

Then we have those who were lacking opportunity elsewhere and who have performed given that opportunity

We need a little bit more but we have 7 and 8, both higher Picks that Dal Santo was plus we have a war chest for the right FA player if available

Perhaps this is code for North Melbourne and moving Dal Santo on given NM's performance in 2017

The only shame is that we only played North Melbourne once in 2017

Hopefully we play them twice in 2018

saynta
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:Dal Santo played some superb football at St Kilda but he was one of the reasons we did not achieve the ultimate because a tag saw his performance seriously wane

He just could not work thru hard attention hence an ordinary record in finals, which is where you are measured

Hence to North Melbourne, who ultimately retired him absent the premiership he went there to achieve - and, in fact, from winning their first 10 games in 2016 the wheels fell off and badly

Riewoldt battled injury which very significantly impacted on his performances but, of more importance, could not play the mid field role he performed in 2016, allowing Mc Cartin, Bruce and Membrey to develop their chemistry

Dempster did not play

Montagna had a variable season, finally cruelled by injury

All these players were well into their 30's and announced their retirements - different to Dal Santo at North Melbourne where the Club announced his Contract would not be extended because the focus was on youth

So perhaps some sour grapes

With Goddard, whose on field demeanour would not have been consistent with mentoring, St Kilda did not attempt to retain Dal Santo and that decision was correct in both instances

The future is with the First Round Draft Picks we have had post Richardson, those we have traded for being Carlisle and Freeman and the experience of Gilbert, Armitage and Steven

Then we have those who were lacking opportunity elsewhere and who have performed given that opportunity

We need a little bit more but we have 7 and 8, both higher Picks that Dal Santo was plus we have a war chest for the right FA player if available

Perhaps this is code for North Melbourne and moving Dal Santo on given NM's performance in 2017

The only shame is that we only played North Melbourne once in 2017

Hopefully we play them twice in 2018
Good comments and overall an excellent post.

evo
Club Player

Don't get people that think we will improve from within and finals are finals bound. Every team with a young list will get better. All the sides around our position have already improved their list by trading except Collingwood.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Then Dal needs to grow a set! Or get the phuck out of our way!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Lots of people here surviving on the fumes of delusion.

And anybody who challenges their fantasy becomes an instant Darth Vader.

Truth is, we have a remarkably average side boasting not a single superstar.

I sure hope the boys take the next step in 2018. Everyone improves. We gel as a team. We burst into the eight. It's possible.

What's the evidence that will happen, though? Now people are claiming it's BECAUSE Roo and Joey are retiring.

Well, The Injectors ran rings around us this year AND they've just recruited Saad, Smith and Stringer.

They'll be even better in 2018.

But it's difficult to excited about St Kilda's prospects. Dal is right.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Seriously, not one person picked Richmond to even make the 8 for season 2017 and to actually finish lower than 13th. Guess what happened by the end of GF day.

We smashed them too in one game. Yes, they have about 3-4 A grade guns but the other 18 players in their best side are nothing special. I reckon ours are actually better overall.

With a few little clicks and changes, players stepping up, things can turn around very quickly for any side. We are actually in a way better position at the end of this year compared to what the Tigers were at the end of 2016. Massively ahead. Something to ponder.

1997 for the Saints came out of nowhere. Why can't it happen again?

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

parkeysainter wrote:Seriously, not one person picked Richmond to even make the 8 for season 2017 and to actually finish lower than 13th. Guess what happened by the end of GF day.

We smashed them too in one game. Yes, they have about 3-4 A grade guns but the other 18 players in their best side are nothing special. I reckon ours are actually better overall.

With a few little clicks and changes, players stepping up, things can turn around very quickly for any side. We are actually in a way better position at the end of this year compared to what the Tigers were at the end of 2016. Massively ahead. Something to ponder.

1997 for the Saints came out of nowhere. Why can't it happen again?

It CAN happen again. Of course it can. Talent is spread thinly across the league these days, which is how
teams like Richmond and the Bulldogs can win flags largely on passion.

Cold clinical analysis, however, says that our side lacks class. It's certainly nowhere near the class of 1997 or 2005 or 2009.

Dal is a paid AFL commentator and has every right to state the blindingly obvious.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Then Dal needs to grow a set! Or get the phuck out of our way!
Nup. He's not a sensationalist Journo is our Dal. Just being level headed and rightly concerned.

Without any top end talent coming to our club to make the 8 next year we need at least 2 of the following three to occur:

(1) one of pick 7 & 8 to be an instant valuable player in 2018 (ideally both but that is unrealistic expectation)

(2) a fair fixture based on finishing 11th - not being FIXture shafted like this year!

(3) An across the board 20% increase in output/effectiveness of the under 25 players in our best 22

At the end of the day, if we don't make the eight in 2018 I will be ropeable. No more excuses!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Drake Huggins
Club Player

I wonder how these comments have gone down with the club, seeing as Dal is on the development team. Could it be the old rev up, or does he really believe we are stagnating? If the latter, it might have been more prudent to keep his comments to himself and make sure he's doing his job properly.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Those people on here having a crack at Dal for giving his opinion would be the first to suck up to him if they met him on the street.
Dal loves the Saints and clearly has concerns about their direction.

Nee!