Our Draft Summary

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Our Draft Summary

Have I got this right?

Out
2017 4th Round (59)
2017 4th Round (63)
2018 2nd Round
2018 3rd Round

In
2017 2nd Round (34)
Logan Austin
2018 4th Round
2018 4th Round

So we upgraded 2 fourth round picks (59 & 63) to a 3rd round pick (34)
Got in Logan Austin
Downgraded next years 2nd and 3rd picks to 2 x fourth round picks

Meh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Our Draft Summary

Not a bad result.

Our intent was to keep our two first round picks or grab a class midfielder, pick up a key defender, and trade back into the second round. We achieved all but the midfielder, but there wasn't much on offer.

We obviously plan on using picks 7, 8, 34 and 45 in the draft which means at least two more delistings are required. Nervous times for Holmes, Wright, Minchington and Pierce.

If there's no more changes to the rookie list (surely the Irish boys, O'Kearney and Marshall are retained) then we'll only use our first round pick (8) in the rookie draft.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Let's be honest, this trade/ FA period is a failure on what the club had set out to do. Yes it is not a disaster, BUT it is not what the club set itself up to do.

- We would have traded away our first rounder last year to help with a (BigFish) trade this year, and not to have two first rounders this year.

- No class players secured, let alone a BigFish. From what the rumours are the offered trade deals to GWS for players like Tomlinson and Haynes were a joke and never going to get up. we seem to concentrate of offering CONTRACTED players good money to join us on the assumption that GWs would cave and swap them to us for unders.

- We traded in Carlisle two (now three!) drafts back so that we would have our rebuilt team and him coinciding in peak years (2017- 2020).

This draft we are now back to kids and young players. By the time our first two rounders will be at their best Carlisle will be coming out of his best zone. Armo will be gone and Steven past his best years (though let us hope that he had Joey's longevity).

We are not rebuilding from scratch as we have a good pool of youth, but make no mistake this is now meaning a major reset.

Our fate in 2018 will firmly rest on many current players stepping up and in Paddy and Freeman coming good.

Picks 7 and 8 will be good for us, though we have missed the top 4 guns on offer. But 2018 is going to be hard work with a number of teams around and below us having improved their lists.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 19 Oct 2017 4:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
ss1986
Club Player

Spot on saintsRrising.

I would call it an unmitigated disaster if Paddy doesn't have a break out year and Bruce continues to flounder.

Don't forget, those boys won't have the luxury of Roo taking good players off them so it will be a more difficult year opposition wise; and we completely failed to replace Roo with someone who would at least attract SOME attention away from those blokes.

I absolutely cannot see how this is a good result any way you choose to slice and dice it.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Have we changed our club name to Hawthorn ???

We seem to have traded our 2018 second round pick (27 if we stay static in 2018) for 2017 pick 34.
We have to jump to 4th on the ladder for that to balance.
But then we threw in picks 59 and 63 as steak knives as well.
A bonus of 261 point to Port Adelaide.
We have valued our 2nd round pick for 2018 at pick 49 ??????????????????????????????????????????????????
How does this make sense ?

What is going on ?
Do we seriously think we are going to win the 2018 premiership and so devalue our 2018 2nd rounder ?
But even that does not balance.

OR is 2017 a total draft disaster and 2018 a super draft ?
Is pick 34 this year really worth pick 49 in 2018 ?

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
kalsaint
Club Player

ace wrote:Have we changed our club name to Hawthorn ???

We seem to have traded our 2018 second round pick (27 if we stay static in 2018) for 2017 pick 34.
We have to jump to 4th on the ladder for that to balance.
But then we threw in picks 59 and 63 as steak knives as well.
A bonus of 261 point to Port Adelaide.
We have valued our 2nd round pick for 2018 at pick 49 ??????????????????????????????????????????????????
How does this make sense ?

What is going on ?
Do we seriously think we are going to win the 2018 premiership and so devalue our 2018 2nd rounder ?
But even that does not balance.

OR is 2017 a total draft disaster and 2018 a super draft ?
Is pick 34 this year really worth pick 49 in 2018 ?
Yeah there is some concern here. The only good thing is the 2018 draft is deemed to be a strong one based on Bulldogs recruitment discussion around picks.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:Not a bad result.
We obviously plan on using picks 7, 8, 34 and 45 in the draft which means at least two more delistings are required. Nervous times for Holmes, Wright, Minchington and Pierce.

If there's no more changes to the rookie list (surely the Irish boys, O'Kearney and Marshall are retained) then we'll only use our first round pick (8) in the rookie draft.
Haven't we already de-listed 4?
- Roo
- Joey
- Dempster
- Coughlan

Bring in Austin and we only need delist one more.
Most likely Holmes.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:

- Roo
- Joey
- Dempster
- Coughlan

Most likely Holmes.
Coughlan was a rookie.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Mental
Why the he'll did we sacrifice places in a superior draft for a second rounder in this one....especially when it was too late to use it on a player trade?

Nee!
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:

- Roo
- Joey
- Dempster
- Coughlan

Most likely Holmes.
Coughlan was a rookie.
Ah. That explains it.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

I'm not heartbroken about our overall position, but I'm disappointed that some of our direct opponents like the dopers, dogs, dreamons, and Carlscum seemed to advance further than us.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

you need to include the value of the player in for your calculation to be sound.

the delta between the picks is essentially the cost of Logan. Whilst they were separate trades i believe they were all a part of the overall deal for logan who initially seemed very cheap but then we had the later agreement which i think must have been all a part of the one trade.

very similar to the mcevoy trade...we arranged it in two hops. the initial trade and then a pick swap at the end. was always agreed, the guys just needed to wait out other trades to know exactly what they were trading.

#1 Ryder fan
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:you need to include the value of the player in for your calculation to be sound.

the delta between the picks is essentially the cost of Logan. Whilst they were separate trades i believe they were all a part of the overall deal for logan who initially seemed very cheap but then we had the later agreement which i think must have been all a part of the one trade.

very similar to the mcevoy trade...we arranged it in two hops. the initial trade and then a pick swap at the end. was always agreed, the guys just needed to wait out other trades to know exactly what they were trading.
Sorry MC, but it is an amateurish effort by our guys.
This year was all about trading for round 2 level picks....and we couldn't get into it....now we've buggered up next year too.

Nee!
the dome
Club Player

Well if Logan has as much up-side as Ameet, AR & the SA connections believe then I can keep things positive. :D

the dome
Club Player

L o g a n

Well if Logan has as much up-side as Ameet, AR & the SA connections believe then I can keep things positive. :D

beebarry
Club Player

Underwhelming .... just kept waiting for a move to come and it did but from other clubs not us ....not a peep til the end and then it was a farty little puff of dust .... hope our guys are right and we have a shed load of natural improvement in the current list ... otherwise we are back another 5 Years .... would have loved us to at least be in the conversation for Saad, Schake and a few others that went for seemingly bugger all - we’ve got a second rounder this year but SFA next year .... sigh .... just hope paddy and freezer come good and a few others break out quickly .... hate being a glass half empty supporter but feels like we sat on our hands the last 2 weeks - hope I’m wrong ! Go Saints ( goddamn you ! )

saynta
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote:Spot on saintsRrising.

I would call it an unmitigated disaster if Paddy doesn't have a break out year and Bruce continues to flounder.

Don't forget, those boys won't have the luxury of Roo taking good players off them so it will be a more difficult year opposition wise; and we completely failed to replace Roo with someone who would at least attract SOME attention away from those blokes.

I absolutely cannot see how this is a good result any way you choose to slice and dice it.
Seems alright to me. there wasn't anything on offer that would improve our list imho.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Our intent was to keep our two first round picks or grab a class midfielder, pick up a key defender, and trade back into the second round. We achieved all but the midfielder, but there wasn't much on offer.

I agree it wasn't too bad a result. Two more player to get the chop. Holmes and one other.

This site is full of f****** whingers who wouldn't have a clue to share between them. :roll:
Last edited by saynta on Thu 19 Oct 2017 7:01pm, edited 2 times in total.

takeaway
Club Player

We did not participate much, but as the club said it would take a great deal for us to part with 7 & or 8 - obviously we didn't get it. Not really worth fiddling around with B graders if we are happy with the incumbents. Logan was needed as backup & possibly Brown replacement in the short or long term, so happy with that.

The pick swap was strange, but got us in the second round, and I am sure I read somewhere a while ago, we were keen on a couple of players who were predicted to go in the range 25-40, so gives us a better chance at one of them. As I recall, Collingwood & Geelong were also reported as interested, especially if Geelong did not get Devon Smith. Interesting that both have picks just after pick 34, so in that regard we have nudged in front of them.

We should be able to trade back into 2nd or 3rd round next year.

Look forward to draft night.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote:We did not participate much, but as the club said it would take a great deal for us to part with 7 & or 8 - obviously we didn't get it. Not really worth fiddling around with B graders if we are happy with the incumbents. Logan was needed as backup & possibly Brown replacement in the short or long term, so happy with that.

The pick swap was strange, but got us in the second round, and I am sure I read somewhere a while ago, we were keen on a couple of players who were predicted to go in the range 25-40, so gives us a better chance at one of them. As I recall, Collingwood & Geelong were also reported as interested, especially if Geelong did not get Devon Smith. Interesting that both have picks just after pick 34, so in that regard we have nudged in front of them.

We should be able to trade back into 2nd or 3rd round next year.

Look forward to draft night.
Good positive post on trade week. A rarity.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Draft summary from the age.

ST KILDA

In: Logan Austin

Out: -

2017 draft picks: 7, 8, 34, 45

Had a nibble at pacy midfielders but none took the bait. They eventually settled on heading to the draft with two top-10 picks and a young defender in Austin. They need to find a ready-made youngster at pick seven or eight to push for finals.

So one more player to get the flick.

Presumably Holmes.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Bottom line is, it's hard to control what other clubs get. I bet there are a few other clubs who would look at the last year's period, and the one in which McEvoy was traded, and say "How the hell did they pull that off?"

saynta
Saintsational Legend

NO, NO NO. only one more player.

At least at this stage.

Oops no. Two players out.

Three retirements plus one in. If we want 4 picks in the draft, two more have to be delisted.

Sorry Beno 88 , my maths were out. don't know what I was thinking.
Last edited by saynta on Thu 19 Oct 2017 7:02pm, edited 2 times in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/m ... 26176260bc

"'ST KILDA

GAINED: Logan Austin

L OST: —

DRAFT PICKS: 7, 8, 34, 45, 100

SAM LANDSBERGER SAYS: Missed out on GWS pair Devon Smith and Adam Tomlinson, but bolstered the back half with little-known Port Adelaide defender Logan Austin — Sean Dempster’s cousin. The Saints enter the draft with two top-10 picks — 7 and 8 — for the first time in 16 years and four selections inside 45. Another year rolls by without a big fish so they need sharp improvement from within to make finals. Jaidyn Stephenson is high on the draft wish list.

Grade: Nothing to see""

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Look on the bright side. We didn't trade any of our much loved players unlike, the Dees ,Carscum , Doggies and a couple of other sides.

Whilst I don't have any bulldog mates and never intend to, my Carlton and Melbourne mates are devastated.

Hehehehe