Who Do We Want For Picks 7 & 8?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Who Do We Want For Picks 7 & 8?

With the madness of trade week just about over, we can now turn our intentions to insulting each other over the upcoming draft.

This is a lean draft in terms of talent. Not much past the first round I would have thought.

But we go into it with two top ten picks which means we are guaranteed two potentially talented young AFL footballers.

The question is Who will we target?

We were unable to snare an established and proven elite midfielder, so you would expect we are chasing midfield talent from whoever's left when it comes to us.

There are a few young blokes, who I think we could do with ,who might be available: Noah Balta, who can play anywhere.

Aidan Bonar. I know a lot of people on this forum really like and rate him. A big bodied inside mid but two knee reconstructions in his past might make clubs wary about taking him. Hunter Clark another inside mid who loves the rough and tough tumble of contested possession.

But the guys I really like, after giving it some thought, are Jaidyn Stephenson and Andrew Brayshaw.

Stephenson saved his best for when it counted the most.

His first half of the TAC Cup season was indifferent but he came home with a hiss and a roar. Best on the ground for Eastern Ranges in their finals campaign and BOG in the All stars game on Grand Final day.

He transformed himself from a medium tall forward into an outside midfielder by working on his aerobic capacity. Tested really well at the combine. He is quick and can take a grab. Just what we need I reckon.

Andrew Brayshaw, brother of Angus. High work rate for the Sandy Dragons. Gets the job done week in without much fuss. He was another to save his best to last performing really well in his team's finals campaign.

What I like about both is they are big occasion players. They turn it on when it counts. So apart from their physical skills they have a mental toughness which is what we need in spades.

We could do worse than take both these guys. Both have plenty of upside and room for improvement.

supersaints
Club Player

Re: Who Do We Want For Picks 7 & 8?

Havnt gone through the draft picks yet, but though I might be in the minority I'm happy with two picks 7 and 8.

Everyone says this year is a very shallow draft ... but in what was touted to be the shallowest drat ever (2015) we landed the Gresh... I'd be happy with two more of similar talent

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Coffield and Stephenson for me.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

Every year we hear the same old line from recruiters, that this year's draft is shallow. A means of self-protection and a built-in excuse for if they get it wrong. It's all relative, of course, and the same bunch to pick from for everyone. Get it right and you'll still be better off than those who don't. Of course, next year's draft is a beauty and far deeper. Seriously, how anyone can say that with a straight face is beyond me. When we are talking about 17 and 18-year-olds, there are so many variables it is virtually impossible to predict outcomes so far out from the big day. These excuses are the recruiters' equivalent of the gypsy fairground pea and thimble trick. Works every time. FWIW, I'd like to grab Higgins and Bonar, although I'm told Norf is very keen on the latter and they do have pick 4.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
the dome
Club Player

Picks 7 & 8

Have heard in the media that the pies are keen on a particular tall, if so hopefully not the same player our recruiters might be keen on as well given the pies have pick 6 before we make our two choices @ 7 & 8.
Staying positive

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Coffield and Stephenson for me.
Have you seen Stephensons "highlights" reel? Makes Clint jones look like Shaun Burgoyne.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Hang on a minute, I thought I was posting in this thread...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=94206