2017 Draft. Picks 7,8- who do you want?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2017 Draft. Picks 7,8- who do you want?

I'm starting to think this year might be an average draft.
Not sure it's the year to have two good picks.
Just our rotten luck.

Junior
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:I'm starting to think this year might be an average draft.
Just our rotten luck.
What makes you think that Con?

Not having a go just interested in you expanding upon your opinion.

I always find it interesting the whole weak or strong draft talk, each year there seems to be players selected late in the national draft or in the rookie draft who turn out to be very good players.

If Elshaugh can't pick us gun players with pick 7 and 8'then he should find another job.

I have watched a heap of football this year involving this years crop and am very confident that it will produce no less quality than most drafts.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Junior wrote:
Just our rotten luck.

I always find it interesting the whole weak or strong draft talk, each year there seems to be players selected late in the national draft or in the rookie draft who turn out to be very good players.

If Elshaugh can't pick us gun players with pick 7 and 8'then he should find another job.

I have watched a heap of football this year involving this years crop and am very confident that it will produce no less quality than most drafts.
Just watching the videos. That's all. It is hard to tell. But none of the players have the wow factor.
Agree with you. We should be looking at 7 and 8 with much optimism.
We have known for 12 months we would have two first rounders so I really hope we have put in a LOT of preparation for this draft.
We can't afford to muck it up.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

Junior wrote:
Just our rotten luck.

Spot on, Junior. The built-in excuse is that "It's a weak draft this year", is trotted out every year. After the draft, it changes to "We're delighted to get such a talented crop of youngsters. We can't believe we got (insert name/s)."

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
silverhalo
Club Player

1. Jack Higgins by a country mile (despite only being as tall as Gresham, will be a star)
2. Bonar

saynta
Saintsational Legend

silverhalo wrote:1. Jack Higgins by a country mile (despite only being as tall as Gresham, will be a star)
2. Bonar

Where is Bonar rated.

He wasn't in Buckenara's top 30

READ GARY BUCKENARA’S TOP 30 DRAFT PROSPECTS BELOW

1. DARCY FOGARTY

Half-forward/midfielder, 192cm, 92kg, Glenelg/South Australia

Buckenara says: Darcy has been restricted by some injury problems this year and he just couldn’t get going in the U18 championships for South Australia. He was used in different roles during the championships and we saw a glimpse of his talent when he was played in defence in the final clash against Vic Country. Fogarty is a tough, physical and imposing type when up and going. He’s a great mark and a damaging kick and is big enough to play as a leading target in attack and I believe he has a huge upside and for a club in need of a future third tall forward or possibly a defender. I’ve got him rated as No.1 because he’s so flexible in that he can play forward but also play a role down back, similar to what Jack Gunston has done in the second half of this season. I don’t think he’ll go No.1 but I would put him there because I think he’s a class player and will be a star.

Plays like: Stronger Jack Gunston and Jake Stringer

Clubs suited: Brisbane, Carlton, North Melbourne, Collingwood, Gold Coast, Fremantle/ All clubs would be interested
Darcy Fogarty is the best player in this year’s draft according to Gary Buckenara.

2. CAMERON RAYNER

Half-forward/midfielder, 187cm, 88kg, Western Jets/Vic Metro

Buckenara says: The powerful midfielder/half-forward reminds me of watching a young Dustin Martin. Rayner ticks a lot of boxes — he’s a long and penetrating kick on both feet, has a leap to take grabs in the air, is dangerous in attack, quick off the mark and at U18 level he is strong at stoppages. He showed all of those traits and more through the national carnival, having a brilliant few weeks for Vic Metro and his dominant five-goal haul against South Australia in Round 4 showcased his ability inside 50, while his 23-disposal and six-clearance effort against WA highlighted his midfield capacity. There’s a lot to like about Rayner and I am sure as he gets used to playing against the bigger and stronger bodies at AFL level he could become an elite player.

Plays like: Dustin Martin

Clubs suited: Brisbane, Carlton, North Melbourne, Hawthorn, Gold Coast/ All clubs would be interested

3. LUKE DAVIES-UNIACKE

Midfielder, 187cm, 85kg, Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country

Buckenara says: Luke is a tough, composed and hard-working midfielder and he was outstanding when he steered Vic Country to a win over the Allies with 34 disposals and 10 marks during the championships. Despite not having quite the same impact thereafter, recruiters are well aware of his talents. Davies-Uniacke is the right size for a modern midfielder and I really like that he’s so competitive, a good kick and has a turn of speed — his breakaway goal from a centre clearance against Vic Metro in Round 3 of the carnival showed everyone his talent. He is a prospect I can see playing some AFL football in 2018 and with luck, I’m sure he will have a good career.

Plays like: Modern-day tall midfielder similar to Nat Fyfe

Clubs suited: Brisbane, Carlton, North Melbourne, Gold Coast/All clubs would be interested
Luke Davies-Uniacke will be one of this year’s top picks. Picture: Jason Sammon

4. JACK HIGGINS

Small forward/midfielder, 178cm, 76kg, Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro

Buckenara says: Higgins showed he is a ‘real footballer’ during the carnival and across the TAC Cup year. He is a determined, dedicated and professional and his game against Western Australia, where he finished with 30 disposals (including 22 in the first half), seven clearances and two goals demonstrated he is more than just a clever and dangerous small forward — he can also go into the midfield and be damaging because he’s such a tenacious player. Higgins is a very clever kick on both feet, has adequate speed, uses his body well in marking contests and loves a goal. Pound for pound there aren’t too many better players in this draft — something good usually happens when he has the ball.

Plays like: Jeff Garlett, Liam Picken

Clubs suited: Brisbane, Carlton, North Melbourne, Fremantle, West Coast, Geelong

5. SAM HAYES

Ruckman/key forward, 203cm, 93kg, Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro

Buckenara says: The Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro big man is one of the best ruck/forwards in this year’s crop. Sam didn’t have the greatest carnival but his clever tap work was on display and he has proven at under-18 level this season he is more than a ruckman. Hayes can push forward and kick goals — he booted six for the Ranges in one game playing as a permanent forward. He does need to improve his fitness but has plenty of upside and these types of players are so hard to find so a club won’t have any hesitation in pouncing on him with an early pick because his values will be huge.

Plays like: David Hale, Max Gawn

Clubs suited: Brisbane, Carlton, North Melbourne, Gold Coast, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Geelong/All clubs would be interested

6. ADAM CERRA

Midfielder, 186cm, 85kg, Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro

Buckenara says: Cerra didn’t dominate at this year’s U18 carnival but he is a midfielder that is classy by foot, has a big engine, makes good decisions with ball in hand and wins the ball at stoppages. He also doesn’t appear panicked when under pressure, which is an important trait AFL clubs are looking for in players. A knee injury limited Cerra last season but he has had a year of consistent performances in 2017, which makes him one of the leading midfielders up for grabs in this year’s draft. He is a powerful player.

Plays like: Patrick Dangerfield

Clubs suited: Brisbane, Carlton, North Melbourne, Gold Coast, Fremantle, Essendon/All clubs would be interested
Adam Cerra in action for the Eastern Ranges in the TAC Cup.

7. PATRICK NAISH (Father-son opportunity for Richmond)

Midfielder, 183cm, 73kg, Northern Knights/Vic Metro

Buckenara says: Naish gives the top end of the draft some genuine pace and he loves to tuck the ball under his arm and take them on and with his penetrating right-foot kicking, is a combination that will be attractive to all clubs. The Richmond father-son prospect (his dad Chris Naish played 143 games for the Tigers) would be a great fit for them and when a quality father-son pick comes along it is dangerous to overlook them, especially if they end up at another club and become a star. A first-round bid will come for Naish and I have no doubt Richmond will match it. He has really developed and impressed this year.

Plays like: Jordan De Goey

Clubs suited: Richmond — the Tigers won’t let another club draft him
Patrick Naish is available to Richmond as father-son. Picture: Stephen Harman

8. JARROD BRANDER

Key defender/key forward, 194cm, 89kg, Bendigo Pioneers/Allies

Buckenara says: The 194cm Brander appears better placed as a key forward than a key defender at this stage despite spending most of his carnival down back with the Allies. But when he was moved forward in the final game he really stood out, playing an outstanding game in which he kicked three goals from 16 disposals and nine marks. He is one of the leading taller types in the 2017 draft — he has been a bit inconsistent so far this year but as I often say, potential key position players are always harder to find so clubs must take him when they’re available. Brander is a good mark, a long right-foot kick and is capable of influencing a game at either end of the ground.

Plays like: Josh Bruce

Clubs suited: Collingwood, North Melbourne, Carlton, Fremantle/All clubs would be interested

9. LOCHIE O’BRIEN

Midfielder, 184cm, 75kg, Bendigo Pioneers/Vic Country

Buckenara says: O’Brien is an elite runner and brilliant kick and as a rebound defender or outside midfielder he is a potentially very damaging player of the future. He sets up the play and makes things happen because he breaks the lines and isn’t afraid of taking on the opposition. A knee injury ruled him out of the Vic Country’s first game but he impressed after that, showing his ball-winning ability, particularly against Western Australia.

Plays like: Isaac Smith

Clubs suited: St Kilda, North Melbourne, Brisbane, Carlton, Fremantle, Collingwood, Essendon/All clubs would be interested

10. JAIDYN STEPHENSON

Half forward, 189cm, 76kg, Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro

Buckenara says: A high half forward, Stephenson has been around the TAC Cup scene with the Eastern Ranges for three seasons now. He impressed during the U18 carnival, with five goals from 28 disposals against South Australia his best outing when he played on the wing and was able to find space, link up with teammates and most importantly, hit the scoreboard. Stephenson is wiry but is a very good mark because he has a big leap but he’s also dangerous when the ball hits the ground. He also has the ability to manufacture something from nothing. He would be an ideal high half forward that could also push into the midfield.

Plays like: Jack Riewoldt

Clubs suited: Collingwood, Fremantle, Carlton, St Kilda, Sydney, Port Adelaide/All clubs would be interested
Jaidyn Stephenson celebrates a goal during a game for the Ranges.

11. NICK COFFIELD

Midfielder/half back, 190cm, 83kg, Northern Knights/Vic Metro

Buckenara says: Coffield’s combination of speed and size makes him a very attractive player. The Northern Knights captain has played his best football across half back this year but he can also move into the midfield and push forward to kick a goal, which he did for Vic Metro against Western Australia in Round 2 of the national carnival. He is quick and agile and was one of the best afield in Metro’s final game when he had 29 disposals and seven marks against the Allies.

Plays like: Grant Birchall

Clubs suited: North Melbourne, Hawthorn, Fremantle, Collingwood, Western Bulldogs, Brisbane/ All clubs would be interested

12. AARON NAUGHTON

Key defender, 194cm, 84kg, Peel Thunder/Western Australia

Buckenara says: Naughton had a really good carnival as he led Western Australia’s defence through and more than that, he was one of their most reliable players. Most impressively he was able to shut down his opponents as a genuine key position defender, while also offering serviceable rebound. The 194cm prospect will have plenty of admirers because his ability to read the play is outstanding and can be the type of player to back himself and take marks from opposition kicks.

Plays like: Steven May/Brian Lake

Clubs suited: Collingwood, North Melbourne, Fremantle, West Coast, Brisbane, Sydney/All clubs would be interested

13. CHARLIE CONSTABLE

Midfielder, 190cm, 83kg, Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro

Buckenara says: At 190cm Constable is the modern-day midfield prototype. His height gives him an advantage over other players and he uses that to his advantage with his marking around the ground. He also uses his size well at stoppages and is generally a smart footballer who reads the game well. Constable missed Vic Metro selection in its first game of the carnival but he featured prominently in its final three games.

Plays like: Nat Fyfe

Clubs suited: Carlton, Brisbane, North Melbourne, Essendon, St Kilda, Port Adelaide, Richmond, Fremantle/All clubs would be interested
Lachlan Fogarty (right) competes for a ball in the air. Picture: Getty
Gary Buckenara likens Paddy Dow to Geelong star Patrick Dangerfield. Picture: Getty

14. LACHLAN FOGARTY

Midfielder, 179cm, 75kg, Western Jets/Vic Metro

Buckenara says: An injury delayed Fogarty’s start to the championships but when he returned with 23 disposals, 12 tackles and two goals against Vic Country in round three it was a quick reminder of his talent. Fogarty is a good kick, is extremely hard working and keeps himself involved in the game with his tackling and work ethic. No relation to Darcy Fogarty.

Plays like: Kieren Jack

Clubs suited: Gold Coast, West Coast, Brisbane, Carlton, North Melbourne/All clubs would be interested

15. PADDY DOW

Midfielder, 184cm, 78kg, Bendigo Pioneers/Vic Country

Buckenara says: Dow has plenty of natural talent with a genuine turn of speed and good goal sense but he combines that with a strong work ethic. He’s a midfielder with lots of attributes and he had a reasonably consistent carnival for Vic Country without being brilliant. He has a bit of x-factor and is a player to keep an eye on.

Plays like: Patrick Dangerfield

Clubs suited: Adelaide, Brisbane, Carlton, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Collingwood, Gold Coast/All clubs would be interested

16. HUNTER CLARK

Half back/midfielder, 186cm, 79kg, Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country

Buckenara says: From the Dandenong Stingrays, Clark is a very fierce competitor and while he can go unnoticed at times, he is prepared to put his body on the line for the good of his team. After playing as a half back in recent seasons, Clark has spent more time through the midfield this season and shown he can win the ball and get it going his side’s way. Clark can kick on both feet and is also a fierce tackler. I am sure he is the type of player that all coaches would love and one thing is for certain, he will definitely make the best of any opportunity given to him to play at the AFL level.

Plays like: Jarryn Geary

Clubs suited: West Coast, Sydney, Gold Coast, Essendon, North Melbourne, Melbourne, Carlton, St Kilda/All clubs would be interested
Hunter Clark would be of interest to most clubs, recruiter Gary Buckenara says. Picture: Getty

17. NOAH BALTA

Key defender, 194cm, 92kg, Calder Cannons/Vic Metro

Buckenara says: Balta is an exciting prospect at this stage of his development because he can come in and show something that really catches the eye, whether it be a booming long kick, an athletic grab or some nice movement for a player his size. He doesn’t have the consistency yet but there’s huge upside there to work with for a club willing to develop him and be patient. He can play as a key defender but as a bit of a project player, who knows where he might end up because he is so raw but I’m sure clubs will see his potential.

Plays like: Alex Rance or a more athletic Brian Lake

Clubs suited: Collingwood, Fremantle, West Coast, Western Bulldogs, North Melbourne, Hawthorn, Sydney, Geelong/All clubs would be interested

18. JOEL GARNER

Half back/midfielder, 183cm, 81kg, Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro

Buckenara says: From the Eastern Ranges, Garner is a nice left-footer who enjoyed an excellent carnival where he played the best football of his season so far. Settling into a position across half back, the Vic Metro captain was a general in defence and he competed well in the air and gave good rebound with his precise skills. I think he is one of the safer picks in this draft and although others have more potential to be elite players, I think with some luck, Garner will have a long AFL career. While he might not be a top five player on a list, he will definitely be a best 22 player — one of the first picked every week — who plays his role consistently week in, week out. All clubs need those dependable types.

Plays like: Grant Birchall

Clubs suited: Western Bulldogs, Brisbane, Collingwood, Gold Coast, Carlton
Joel Garner is one of the top prospects this year. Picture: Lawrence Pinder

19. CONNOR BALLANDEN

Key forward/ruckman, 199cm, 95kg, Brisbane Lions Academy/Allies

Buckenara says: A Brisbane Lions Academy prospect, Ballanden can play both up forward and in the ruck. He has a lot going for him — he’s a terrific long and accurate kick and is a very good contested mark. At 95kgs he has a strong body already and could play senior footy next year. I’m sure the Lions will match any bid that comes for Ballanden and add to their already impressive young key position stocks. He’ll be too hard to ignore.

Plays like: Tom Boyd

Clubs suited: Brisbane Lions

20. ANDREW BRAYSHAW

Midfielder, 183cm, 80kg, Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro

Buckenara says: The younger brother of Melbourne midfielder Angus Brayshaw, Andrew is almost a clone as he looks and plays exactly like his brother. Brayshaw has great balance, runs hard and is a smart footballer who rarely makes poor decisions with ball in hand. He missed the early part of the U18 championships with an injury but returned with 20 disposals through the midfield for Vic Metro in its win over South Australia.

Plays like: Angus Brayshaw

Clubs suited: Carlton, North Melbourne, West Coast, Melbourne, Adelaide, Essendon
Andrew Brayshaw in action for Vic Metro during the championships. Picture: Getty

21. OSCAR ALLEN

Key forward, 191cm, 83kg, West Perth/Western Australia

Buckenara says: Allen was one of the most consistent players of the championships, which saw him win the Larke Medal as the best player after booting 11 goals in four games. He’s a nice kick for goal, has a good pair of hands and makes the most of his chances. He’s a good size and appears suited to the modern half forward role because he has a big engine and can run all day. I expect he’ll be a standout at the draft combine.

Plays like: Jake Stringer and Jack Darling

Clubs suited: Collingwood, Richmond, Fremantle, North Melbourne, West Coast, Port Adelaide, Gold Coast/All clubs would be interested

22. JAMES WORPEL

Midfielder, 185cm, 84kg, Geelong Falcons/Vic Country

Buckenara says: All year Worpel has been a very good player and got better and better with every game he’s played. He is a very competitive player and recruiters will love his hardness and work ethic. He has good pace, wins the ball both on the inside and outside and uses it OK by foot. I feel his ranking has risen in recent weeks. Looks a nice prospect.

Plays like: Joel Selwood

Clubs suited: Essendon, Geelong, Gold Coast, West Coast, Adelaide, Brisbane, Carlton

23. HARRISON PETTY

Key Defender, 194cm, 82kg, Norwood/South Australia

Buckenara says: Petty is a bit of a smoky but at 194cm he will end up being a key position player and clubs looking to bolster their stocks will definitely look at him. He reads the ball really well in flight and has good game sense and positioning as a defender. Don’t be surprised if a club in desperate need of key position players takes him earlier.

Plays like: Reads the play like Brian Lake and Jeremy McGovern

Clubs suited: Collingwood, Fremantle, North Melbourne, Sydney, Port Adelaide, Western Bulldogs/All clubs will be interested
Gryan Miers has been likened to Bulldog Luke Dahlhaus. Picture: Stephen Harman

24. GRYAN MIERS

Small forward/midfielder, 178cm, 72kg, Geelong Falcons/Vic Country

Buckenara says: Miles is just a real footballer in that he’s a smart opportunist that works hard and has some genuine speed to be a dangerous small forward that pressures the defence to lock in the ball. He also has scope to play midfield and because of his footy smarts, clubs will like the ball in his hands. Forward pressure is critical in the modern game and any club looking for a clever small forward will spend plenty of time looking at Miles.

Plays like: Luke Dahlhaus

Clubs suited: Brisbane, West Coast, North Melbourne, Fremantle, Geelong

25. JACKSON EDWARDS (father-son opportunity for Adelaide)

Midfielder, 185cm, 77kg, Glenelg/South Australia

Buckenara says: The son of Adelaide champion Tyson Edwards, I expect Jackson will become the Crows’ second ever father-son selection after Ben Jarman was recruited to the club as a rookie last year. He players differently to his father, however, despite also being a midfielder. He has good skills and he makes good decisions because he is composed with the footy in hand. The Crows won’t let him slip through their fingers. He has really come on this year.

Plays like: Jordan De Goey

Clubs suited: Adelaide
Jackson Edwards is available as a father-son to Adelaide. Picture: Bianca De Marchi

26. TOM DE KONING

Key forward/ruckman, 200cm, 93kg, Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country

Buckenara says: De Koning is a genuine key position forward/ruckman. While he still has a lot to learn and is a bit inconsistent at the moment, his potential won’t be lost on clubs looking to bank this type of player for the future. At 200cm he is a beautiful left foot kick and should develop into a powerful tall forward that can help out in the ruck. Has a bit of x-factor about him.

Plays like: Hamish McIntosh

Clubs suited: Richmond, Collingwood, Carlton, Hawthorn, Fremantle, Essendon/All clubs will be interested

27. MATTHEW LING

Midfielder, 182cm, 74kg, Geelong Falcons/Vic Country

Buckenara says: Ling is a quick outside midfielder who likes to take on his opponents when he gets the ball and while that can get him into trouble at times, clubs will love that run and carry creative side. His pace really makes him stand out and despite being a flashy type, he has been a consistent contributor for the Falcons this year. I think he has AFL traits — good kicking, decision-making and line-breaking ability — that once harnessed and developed, he could become a damaging player.

Plays like: James Parsons

Clubs suited: Geelong, Melbourne, St Kilda, Carlton, GWS, Sydney, North Melbourne

28. CALLUM COLEMAN-JONES

Ruckman/key forward, 201cm, 98kg, Sturt/South Australia

Buckenara says: Another ruck/key forward prospect in this year’s pool, clubs needing that type of player will look closely at Coleman-Jones. He is a good mark and has showed he can clunk it in contested situations, which is pivotal for a player of his size and has worked hard on his kicking. He played a great game during the U18’s carnival when he gathered 28 disposals and had 15 hit-outs that had a huge impact for South Australia against the Allies in Round 2. Will he be a ruckman at AFL level or more of a key forward? My gut feel is key forward who can go into the ruck once he improves his endurance.

Plays like: A taller Toby Nankervis

Clubs suited: Hawthorn, GWS, North Melbourne, Collingwood, Richmond, Geelong, Adelaide, Gold Coast/All clubs will be interested
Jack Petruccelle is going to be the star of the draft combine, Gary Buckenara says. Picture: Mark Dadswell

29. JACK PETRUCCELLE

Half back/half forward, 184cm, 73kg, Northern Knights/Vic Metro

Buckenara says: Petruccelle is one of the most exciting prospects in this draft because of his potential. A former basketballer who took up footy in his mid-teens, he is a bit raw at the moment in terms of his footy knowledge but has some special traits clubs will love. He runs 20 metres over 2.82 seconds and that speed, plus his athleticism is certain to see him be the star of the draft combine. Petruccelle loves to take the game on from half back and half forward when he plays there — he tries to make things happen and can do that because he’s powerful and has great breakaway speed. He needs to find more of the football, tidy up his kicking and get more involved in games consistently because there are times he struggles to get into the action, which was the case during the championships. But when he kicked five goals for the Knights earlier this year, that showed exactly what he’s capable of with development in an AFL system. There is big upside.

Plays like: Nakia Cockatoo

Clubs suited: All clubs

30. BRENT DANIELS

Small forward, 173cm, 70kg, Bendigo Pioneers/Vic Country

Buckenara says: Daniels is a very exciting and clever small forward that causes the opposition headaches with his football smarts and goal sense. He also puts a lot of pressure on the opposition by getting in their space. While he is very small at 173cm, I’m sure there is a niche for players of this size and ability because he is a natural footballer who has a lot to offer.

Plays like: Caleb Daniel and Hayden Ballantyne

Clubs suited: Brisbane, West Coast, Carlton, North Melbourne, Fremantle, Geelong

SMS
Club Player

Buckenara has no idea
That is lazy ill informed piece of crap

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:Buckenara has no idea
That is lazy ill informed piece of crap
If you say so guru.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I'd like JACK PETRUCCELLE at 34.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Going by the highlights of those possibly available, I'd prefer...

1. Coffield - gun, tall, fit, fast, clean. Clear first choice

2. Cerra - good by foot left or right, extractor, smart
3. Brayshaw - needs to kick more because he's smart and clean. Might take longer to build up physically

Then a raffle between Bonar (risky beast) and Stephenson (goalkicking mid with everything except a decent field kick, which we need!).

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
the dome
Club Player

Quayle & Buckenara's Top 12 predictions 2016

Emma Quayle's 2016 Draft Buckenara's
predicted top10 (2016) predicted top10 (2016)
1. McGrath 1. McGrath 1. McCluggage
2. Taranto 2. Taranto 2. McGrath
3. McCluggage 3. McCluggage 3. Ainsworth
4. Ainsworth 4. Ainsworth 4. Petrevski
5. Setterfield 5. Setterfield 5. Setterfield
6. Petrevski-S 6. Petrevski 6. Bowes
7. Logue 7. Scrimshaw 7. Brodie
8. Simpkin 8. Logue 8. English
9. Scrimshaw 9. Brodie 9. Scrimshaw
10. Cumming 10. Bowes 10. Taranto
11. Bowes 11.Florent 11. Galluci
12. Brodie 12. Simpkin 12. Perryman

Quayle picked the exact player that landed in positions 1-6; she had Logue @ 7. he came in @ 8, Scrimshaw @ 9 -he came in @
7, Bowes @ 11 he came @ 10, Brodie @ 12 he came in @ 9, Florent @ 14 he came in @ 11.
Buckenara picked Setterfield @ 5 & he came in @ 5. Bucks missed Logue (@ 8.) & Florent from the top 12/Bucks had
Florent @ 21,Logue @ 15 & Simpkin @ 18.

* From memory Quayle's predicted picks were made quite close to draft day, I neglected to date Buckenara's which might make all this an unfair comparison. Not having a go @ Bucks but will be keeping an eye out for Emma's predicted picks 2017.
*I hope the 3 column format works, in case it gets crammed up together it is basically Quayle's top 12 predictions in the 1st column, the actual picks 1-12 on Draft day(column 2) & Buckenara's top 12 (column 3). :)

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Junior wrote:
From what I have read there is good talent in the Top 10 and elite talent in the Top 4/5.

So with picks 7 and 8 if our list management team is at all switched we should be able to get two quite good players.

With Freo have 2 picks before us and with Pies already having a swag of mids there is a chance of one of the really good mids slipping to us.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
diddley
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:I'd like JACK PETRUCCELLE at 34.
Same with me.
If not him, Worpel or Zac Bailey

diddley
Club Player

Saynta, Bonar has been a massive Bolter over the past few weeks.
A couple of years ago people were talking number 1 pick. But 2 knee surgeries in 2 years has him slipped out of contention. Until he had a bit of a decent comeback this year, and tested really well at the combine. Seems like his recovery has gone well.
People are comparing his risk factor to the likes of Joel Selwood, who slipped down the draft due to injury concerns. High risk, high reward strategy.
As we have 2 top 10 picks, we could easily have a shot, and stills get someone solid with the other pick. I don’t mind the idea at all myself.

derby Street
Club Player

Re: Quayle & Buckenara's Top 12 predictions 2016

the dome wrote:Emma Quayle's 2016 Draft Buckenara's

Quayle picked the exact player that landed in positions 1-6; she had Logue @ 7. he came in @ 8, Scrimshaw @ 9 -he came in @
7, Bowes @ 11 he came @ 10, Brodie @ 12 he came in @ 9, Florent @ 14 he came in @ 11.
Buckenara picked Setterfield @ 5 & he came in @ 5. Bucks missed Logue (@ 8.) & Florent from the top 12/Bucks had
Florent @ 21,Logue @ 15 & Simpkin @ 18.

* From memory Quayle's predicted picks were made quite close to draft day, I neglected to date Buckenara's which might make all this an unfair comparison. Not having a go @ Bucks but will be keeping an eye out for Emma's predicted picks 2017.
*I hope the 3 column format works, in case it gets crammed up together it is basically Quayle's top 12 predictions in the 1st column, the actual picks 1-12 on Draft day(column 2) & Buckenara's top 12 (column 3). :)
Dome I am not sure you will be seeing Emma's predictions for the 2017 draft - she is now employed by the GWS.

avid
Club Player

If it goes like Buckenara predicts, I'm looking forward to Stephenson or Boner at pick 34.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Way too much love for Bonar...isn't in a lot of good judges top 20

I want two of these guys to slide:
Fogarty
Dow
LDU
Hunter Clark
Stephenson
Lachie O'Brien

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

From Cal Twomey's highlights, I like the look of Rayner, LDU and Fogarty - in that order.

Of those, only Fogarty seems likely to be there at 7.

O'Brien also looks the goods, and Higgins looks good, if only we weren't already the land of the little people already.

Nee!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

My thinking too Con.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Mind you, if you want to absolutely guarantee which of these players will go on to be a gun.....put your money on whoever is picked at #9

Nee!
older saint
SS Life Member

Having had a bit to do with him in his previous sport from what i hear he is unlikely to be there at 34 . Great athlete, strong and x factor. Ability to find the footy can be an issue at times as only played for a couple years but recruiters love the upside. My guess will be 20-30 .

DJ Higgins
Club Player

https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/2017 ... tom-draft/

another good summary of each player

Wombat15
Club Player

Munga wrote:Going by the highlights of those possibly available, I'd prefer...

1. Coffield - gun, tall, fit, fast, clean. Clear first choice

2. Cerra - good by foot left or right, extractor, smart
3. Brayshaw - needs to kick more because he's smart and clean. Might take longer to build up physically

Then a raffle between Bonar (risky beast) and Stephenson (goalkicking mid with everything except a decent field kick, which we need!).
As much as ive heard very mixed reviews on Brayshaw he might be handy. Big fans of Coffield and Cerra. Coffield is so cool and calm under pressure.

diddley
Club Player

From what I can tell, there essentially 4 players that should/could be available by the time 7 & 8 come around.
In order of who I would like
1. Coffield
2. Cerra
3. Bonar
4. Brayshaw
I Think Coffield will go to the Pies, but that would just bump him off the list. If both Freo and the Pies (probably Naughton & Brander) go tall on picks 5 & 6, my list stays intact. If they both don't, we still have available 2 of my favourite 4 around that mark (assuming north uses 4 on stephensen)
For some reason though, I see the saints thinking that the list will go
1. Brayshaw
2. Cerra
3. Bonar
4. Coffiel

I would love them to then go something exciting for picks 34 and 45. Someone like Petrucelle if he is still around.

the dome
Club Player

Re: Quayle & Buckenara's Top 12 predictions 2016

derby Street wrote:
the dome wrote:Emma Quayle's 2016 Draft Buckenara's

Dome I am not sure you will be seeing Emma's predictions for the 2017 draft - she is now employed by the GWS.