2017 Draft. Picks 7,8- who do you want?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Re: 2017 Draft. Picks 7,8- who do you want?

I would definitely get Aaron Naugton if he is still available. We still need another key defender. Geary is pushing 30 and brown has one maybe two years left in him. When they leave we are back in the same spot we are now. Logan is not great, he isn't and what has Goddard really shown. Not enough for me to think we don't need another kdp. As for the mid I don't really care as it is a lottery. Watching the videos of those around picks 7-8 each of them have big upsides but some negatives as well. I hope our draft team have done their homework

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:Whisper is we're taking Brayshaw.
what a dumb thing to say.
Does that mean we rate him number one?
Or we are positive the six sides ahead of us don't rate him?
People r only keen on Brayshaw because it is a name they recognise.
He seems like an Elshaugh pick though. Vanilla and Elshaugh can say he 'comes from a good family' and has 'good character'.

Ill throw up if he says that.
Give it up Con. Seriously....

Can you please stop following me around. Bit creepy.
I'm just calling out your constant BS.
You start your sentences with 'whisper is' which is a big SIGNAL that you are itk.
Trouble is all your 'whispers' dont pan out. You said Tomlinson was a lock when it was never even in play at all. I have it on personal authority he was never interested in us.
And noone at the Saints would say 'we're taking Brayshaw'. They would say 'IF HE STILL THERE we will take Brayshaw'.
There is a whisper we will take Brayshaw if still available in the draft. Saints are definately interested. Is that better worded for you?
I never said Tomlinson was a lock. That is BS but we were a big chance as were Collingwood.

Just passing on stuff I hear here and there like I knew Talia had already talked to the Saints before it came out public. You don't like rumours and whispers, then don't read them anymore. Get a life, seriously. I am definately not a in the know (or whatever its called). I have said that before.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote:I would definitely get Aaron Naugton if he is still available. We still need another key defender. Geary is pushing 30 and brown has one maybe two years left in him. When they leave we are back in the same spot we are now. Logan is not great, he isn't and what has Goddard really shown. Not enough for me to think we don't need another kdp. As for the mid I don't really care as it is a lottery. Watching the videos of those around picks 7-8 each of them have big upsides but some negatives as well. I hope our draft team have done their homework
We just got Logan to cover KPD.
We have Goddard for the other KPD.
We have White, DMac, Rice to cover the spots for Geary, Savage and Gilbert.
We also have Roberton and Webster as young established defenders.

Defence is not the problem.

We need two midfielders who will be the best chance of becoming elite.

I'm liking Brayshaw from his highlights....seems to have excellent vision good off both feet and a good turn of pace.

Also Coffield, although he may be more suited to HBF, who we have plenty of.

Maybe Fogarty or Cerra will fall to us.

Nee!
DJ Higgins
Club Player

fugazi wrote:
DJ Higgins wrote:I would definitely get Aaron Naugton if he is still available. We still need another key defender. Geary is pushing 30 and brown has one maybe two years left in him. When they leave we are back in the same spot we are now. Logan is not great, he isn't and what has Goddard really shown. Not enough for me to think we don't need another kdp. As for the mid I don't really care as it is a lottery. Watching the videos of those around picks 7-8 each of them have big upsides but some negatives as well. I hope our draft team have done their homework

I'm liking Brayshaw from his highlights....seems to have excellent vision good off both feet and a good turn of pace.

I'm happy to agree to disagree. I agree we need an outside mid desperately, no argument there but I disagree that our defence isn't going to be a problem. I agree the smaller backs have more coverage but not our KDP. You have a lot more faith than I do in Logan and Goddard.
Logan cost us very little for a reason and will make a back up player but unless he improves dramatically there is no way he will cover for Brown or Carlisle if they are unavailable long term. Goddard came with unfair expectations on him and has been hampered by injuries but I have seen him play at VFL level and he has a massive turning circle and is slow.Real Slow so he is in the same boat as Logan. Naughton would be a great get for the future

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote:
fugazi wrote:

I'm happy to agree to disagree. I agree we need an outside mid desperately, no argument there but I disagree that our defence isn't going to be a problem. I agree the smaller backs have more coverage but not our KDP. You have a lot more faith than I do in Logan and Goddard.
Logan cost us very little for a reason and will make a back up player but unless he improves dramatically there is no way he will cover for Brown or Carlisle if they are unavailable long term. Goddard came with unfair expectations on him and has been hampered by injuries but I have seen him play at VFL level and he has a massive turning circle and is slow.Real Slow so he is in the same boat as Logan. Naughton would be a great get for the future
Fair points. It will be interesting to see which at we go with drafting. I had the feeling that pick 34 was earmarked for another tall defender.
Also wondering if Battle could be a KPD if required.

Nee!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:
DJ Higgins wrote:
fugazi wrote:

Fair points. It will be interesting to see which way we go with drafting. I had the feeling that pick 34 was earmarked for another tall defender.
Also wondering if Battle could be a KPD if required.

Nee!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Just want 2 s*** hot players and don't care for Malcolm Turnbull and the NBN is rooted!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
big_mac_evoy5
Club Player

I think pick
bonar- this guys could once in a generation mid. Kicks 60m. Very good skills elite speed and is a contested beast. He is fyfe and judd combined for me. I am not worried about injuries as he hasn't missed a beat the last 6 months physically.

I thought coffield at first he reminds of a quicker version of lenny. Wins his own ball great through traffic has elite speed and foot skills he will be an inside mid. At 190cm bargain at pick 8

Smokey
Fogarty. I was going coffield but mick ablett who pretty much lives with all the best young players says this guys could have the most talent in the draft and i think its worth the punt at 8. Plays forward like jack reiwoldt plays mid like fyfe. Dal santo and ablett both worked with him both say he has the best kick in the draft

saints for the flag armitage for rising start
SMS
Club Player

Love it big mac!! Really hope Bonar gets called for us.

MickThomas
Club Player

SMS wrote:Love it big mac!! Really hope Bonar gets called for us.
Bains is currently doing a handover to his successor.
Can I ask-
1. Will u take over his Jaxons nic or keep yours?
2. What's the bean-counter like as a communicator?
3. Will you get the best parking spot at RSEA Park?

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
Wombat15
Club Player

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2017-10-27/ ... iden-bonar the big point for me is the confidence with this kid. doesnt tape his knees.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2017-10-23/ ... k-coffield classy

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Bonar looks good but 2 acl injuries already is a bit of a concern. Can we take the gamble?

the dome
Club Player

A.Bonar appears an impressive young man

Aiden returning to good form from 2 acl injuries is a story i itself. I thought watching the video link up abpve that Aiden comes across as a well grounded young footballer with a strong focus on where he wants to be.
He's been through a bit already but sounds very positive. I watched the video of young Coffield as well & was equally impressed.
No idea really but some of these young guys seem full of potential .

realdeal
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote:Bonar looks good but 2 acl injuries already is a bit of a concern. Can we take the gamble?
Not to be pedantic but I believe that he's only had the one acl injury but he had the 2nd operation as the 1st one 'didn't take'.

Binary dies seem to have huge upside. I also like the sound of Coffield.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote:
DJ Higgins wrote:Bonar looks good but 2 acl injuries already is a bit of a concern. Can we take the gamble?
Not to be pedantic but I believe that he's only had the one acl injury but he had the 2nd operation as the 1st one 'didn't take'.

Binary dies seem to have huge upside. I also like the sound of Coffield.
Binary has his on and off days. Not much in between.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone know how to do a voting thread?

Nominate 2 picks from the 7 or 8 names likely to be in the mix and see what the Saintsational average comes out at?

O'Brien, Brayshaw, Higgins, Naughton, Fogarty, Cerra, etc

Any forum boffins willing to set that up?

Nee!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:Does anyone know how to do a voting thread?

Nominate 2 picks from the 7 or 8 names likely to be in the mix and see what the Saintsational average comes out at?

Just start a new thread. The hard part is finding the button called “poll creation”

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
fugazi wrote:Does anyone know how to do a voting thread?

Just start a new thread. The hard part is finding the button called “poll creation”

Done