2017 Draft. Picks 7,8- who do you want?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2017 Draft. Picks 7,8- who do you want?

saintsRrising wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: and Marshall should be promoted imo.

Why?

1/ He was still raw last year. There was a lot to like, but he still needs to improve.

2/ I believe that from 2018 on that clubs can freely play rookies in the firsts if they choose too.
Minor issue. True.
Makes little difference if he is promoted or not. But I like the look of him that's all.
Beats the s*** out of Holmes and Pierce.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/2 ... -dominance

great summary on the players. I am working on the assumption we are after 2 midfielders and not a defender. Ignore top 4 on the list as they wont slide to 7.
there are some stars in there but we have to be lucky and find them and we are so due for some

Junior
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Why?

1/ He was still raw last year. There was a lot to like, but he still needs to improve.

2/ I believe that from 2018 on that clubs can freely play rookies in the firsts if they choose too.
Minor issue. True.
Makes little difference if he is promoted or not. But I like the look of him that's all.

Spot on Con, Marshall looks like a likely prospect and is miles ahead of the other two. Plus unlike the other two can play as a forward.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:Am I the only one on here that feels that we have failed badly this trade period. There were players that were gettable that are probably superior to anything that we will draft with 7& 8. So next year we have the same team that got us to 11th this year plus a couple of under developed kids that may make it or not. Will be interesting to see how well the Schache\ Stringer types perform compared with our picks in what is considered the worst draft in years. I don't watch the draft and have no interest in the kids until they play senior football. Seems like another five year rebuild coming.
I don't understand this. We didn't have much to play with so how do you land a Schache or Stringer. Stringer nominated the Bombers not the Saints. How do you know that pick 7 or 8 won't be better? Too many variables not enough equations therefore statically indeterminate.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

All draft picks are speculative. Can only do your research and pick the best you can.

Stephenson and Bonnar

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
evo
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:
evo wrote:Am I the only one on here that feels that we have failed badly this trade period. There were players that were gettable that are probably superior to anything that we will draft with 7& 8. So next year we have the same team that got us to 11th this year plus a couple of under developed kids that may make it or not. Will be interesting to see how well the Schache\ Stringer types perform compared with our picks in what is considered the worst draft in years. I don't watch the draft and have no interest in the kids until they play senior football. Seems like another five year rebuild coming.
I don't understand this. We didn't have much to play with so how do you land a Schache or Stringer. Stringer nominated the Bombers not the Saints. How do you know that pick 7 or 8 won't be better? Too many variables not enough equations therefore statically indeterminate.
Most of the trades were done with lower picks than ours,Schache for about 20. I will watch these traded players next year with interest and compare them with our NDP's when they eventually play.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I'm gonna bet we are going to go high risk high reward , to try and find that bolter

Love is all you need
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Why?

Minor issue. True.

I like Marshall too.

I think we have too many ruckmen.

So I think we can just delist Holmes and moreso as he is 27 yrs and 11 months. With no bigfish landed and hitting the draft now for most likely 4 more kids plus Logan who is young, it now means that our strategy needs to be reset and so with that much youth Holmes will not be part of it.

With Longer, Pierce and Marshall all young and Hickey being 26 we do not need any more ruckmen.

We do need mids, mids, mids.

So I would just leave Marshall as a rookie and play him in 2018 in the seniors when it suits.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Drake Huggins
Club Player

Can someone clear up Marshall's contract status? IIRC, didn't he sign a two year contract and does that mean he is automatically elevated to the senior list? Bratty?

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
SMS
Club Player

Stephenson why??? He is unco as. We better not get him

Wombat15
Club Player

So I’ve given myself over night to rethink my decision. A lot of draft sites have cerra falling. If it’s between cerra, Coffield and bonar gotta take Coffield and cerra. Classy users and Coffield has leadership potential. We need a bit of guts in our side. Quite a few front runners at this stage who aren’t willing to take a game by the scruff of the neck.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:Stephenson why??? He is unco as. We better not get him
Fair call. He does look awkward.
Not convinced about him.
Is this a weak draft? Looks pretty vanilla.

shrodes
SS Life Member

With Freo having 2 & 5, we are a pretty good chance at getting one or more sliders if Freo picks from left field. I'm optimistic that we will get a good result from 7 & 8

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

I'm excited about these top two picks we are taking to the draft. We could pick up a couple of midfield gems. I think the club has indicated on the grapevine that we will be going for classy mids. If they both have a 1st year like Gresham for example that would be a huge bonus.

Even with this pick 34, we could pick up a good player. Pretty sure we got Battle around that pick number last year and he looks like he will be the goods in a couple of years.

I don't think we have held a better draft position for a long time.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
degruch
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote:With Freo having 2 & 5, we are a pretty good chance at getting one or more sliders if Freo picks from left field.
Freo is the biggest concern of the trade period for us IMO...with Balic gone, they'll want 2 x whomever we're thinking of picking. I'm worried anyone we'll be scrambling through our scouts' notes by 7/8.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully we go for one pure mid and someone with a bit of X factor

Guessing something like a Brayshaw/Bonar type thing.

avid
Club Player

bigred wrote:All draft picks are speculative. Can only do your research and pick the best you can.

Stephenson and Bonnar

I'm quietly hoping that too -- given that the top four are taken already.
I'd be excited.
But I know almost nothing -- so, if the draft team's reading this, take no notice.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Hopefully we go for one pure mid and someone with a bit of X factor

Agree. I don't want us picking up two players who 'have the potential to spend time in the midfield'. One of Cerra/Brayshaw and either HIggins/Stephenson would be my preference. A genuine onballer and a damaging x-factor type player. Imagine the chaos Billings, Gresham and Higgins would cause rotating between half forward and the midfield.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

Kangas will take Bonar at 4 I'm told. Bugger!

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
diddley
Club Player

Personally, I am hopeful for Cerra and Brayshaw.
Both could/might be available at that stage.
Bonar, Coffield and O’Brien are all posiblities if the others have already been nabbed.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Trout and friends will have a list of players we will want to take already in order for pick 7 and 8. Its just a matter of crossing them off the list as each team reads them out before us if they do.

Its quite exciting as the teams before us may pick players that aren't mids to best suit what they think they need. A couple of highly rated and good mids then may slip down to us at 7 or 8.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
diddley
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote:Trout and friends will have a list of players we will want to take already in order for pick 7 and 8. Its just a matter of crossing them off the list as each team reads them out before us if they do.

Its quite exciting as the teams before us may pick players that aren't mids to best suit what they think they need. A couple of highly rated and good mids then may slip down to us at 7 or 8.
Someone has to slip through. There are 6-10 great mids after the obvious top 3 players. So even if 6 players go first that we really wanted, the next 2 will be great anyway.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Whoever we get I will nickname them ' the Patterson's '.
The spirit of 7 and 8 !
That's 1978 , the first time as a kid I thought the saints were going to play finals .
Didn't happen and mike was done by 1980 .
such is life

C'mon ' Patterson's ' finals await
Help lead us to the promised land !

In red white and black from 73
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
dragit wrote:Hopefully we go for one pure mid and someone with a bit of X factor

Agree. I don't want us picking up two players who 'have the potential to spend time in the midfield'. One of Cerra/Brayshaw and either HIggins/Stephenson would be my preference. A genuine onballer and a damaging x-factor type player. Imagine the chaos Billings, Gresham and Higgins would cause rotating between half forward and the midfield.
100% this

Nee!
Saintly66
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:

Why?

NOK to be elevated and pierce to the rookie list before Marshall is promoted.