Logan Austin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MickThomas
Club Player

Re: Logan Austin

saynta wrote:He has grown a bit since his original draft day. Now 198cm.
Fer Gawd's sake, don't let Richo find out his true height.

They'll chuck him in the ruck and stuff him up forever

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
saynta
Saintsational Legend

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-canber ... z3vdr.html

::New St Kilda recruit Logan Austin and Jack Steele often said they'd play in the AFL together, but it was always tongue in cheek.

But the two best mates from Belconnen will do just that after former Port Adelaide defender Austin was traded to the Saints on Thursday.

Austin has joined St Kilda in a move that will form a Canberra trio at the Saints alongside Steele and club leadership group member Josh Bruce.

Port Adelaide traded Austin and a future fourth-round AFL draft selection to the Saints in return for a future third-round pick.

Austin was contracted to the Power until the end of 2018 but has been promised more game time at St Kilda as they look to bolster their defensive stocks.

Lacing up the boots alongside Steele was something Austin thought may never happen again after they both went their separate ways after leaving Belconnen in 2014.

But now they both have a chance to realise a childhood dream and play in the AFL together.

"We always joked and just said to each other 'we'll end up playing together' but it was tongue in cheek," Austin said.

"To be at the same club is obviously going to really exciting for both our families. It's an exciting time at the moment.

"It's kind of funny how it all works really, both of us getting drafted to two separate clubs, and a few years later both getting traded to a different club, and it happens to be at St Kilda, obviously me a year later.

"It should be good to play with Jack again. We're really good friends and it's just funny how it all works."

Austin was drafted by Port Adelaide with pick 69 in the 2014 AFL draft, having already watched Steele get picked up by Greater Western Sydney.

The 11th hour trade deal landed 22-year-old Austin at the former home of his cousin Sean Dempster, who retired early in 2017 due to repeated concussions.

Austin played 13 games for Port Adelaide but just two of them came this year, and the club has been willing to move on players seeking greater opportunities elsewhere.

"I loved my time here at Port, I loved all the players and the coaches and everyone, it was just the opportunities this year were a bit thin," Austin said.

"I felt my my football, my career and where I want to get to, it was my best decision to move across and find a home somewhere else.

"I'm glad it's St Kilda - obviously my cousin played here for a fair few years and Jack obviously plays for them. It's good to be a St Kilda player."

St Kilda list manager Tony Elshaug said Austin will add important key position depth as the Saints look to return to the finals.

"One of our major objectives during the trade period was to strengthen our key defensive stocks and we feel Logan Austin fulfils that need," Elshaug said.

"He is player that our recruiting team have tracked for a while now and someone we believe has plenty of upside.

"He has outstanding character and while we think he will improve, importantly he is ready to play a key defensive role immediately when called upon."

The deal that got Austin to Moorabbin wasn't the only one between the two clubs late in the trade period.

The Saints acquired pick 34, Adelaide's future fourth round selection in exchange for picks 59, 63 and St Kilda's future second round selection in a last-ditch deal with Port Adelaide.

St Kilda will now take picks 7,8, 34 and 45 to November's draft.""'

This is an updated version of the article I referred to on the final day of trading.

David-Lee
Club Player

What perplexes me is that most fans can see we need a defender and we had a war chest of cash and pick 7 & 8 but didnt chase an elite like Lever? Who cares if they nominate a preferred club offer more money...now the best performing defender of 2017 is at a rival up and coming club. But we think we are geniuses for picking Logan because we badly need to fill the spot. For feck sake even Hodge was up for grabs!!!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

David-Lee wrote:What perplexes me is that most fans can see we need a defender and we had a war chest of cash and pick 7 & 8 but didnt chase an elite like Lever? Who cares if they nominate a preferred club offer more money...now the best performing defender of 2017 is at a rival up and coming club. But we think we are geniuses for picking Logan because we badly need to fill the spot. For feck sake even Hodge was up for grabs!!!
What shocks me is that you think you're the only one that's had this idea...

Exactly what do you think the brains trust talk about down there

Bains: Alright guys we need defenders, anyone got suggestions?
Elshaug: What about Lever guy, he's pretty good and he wants to return to Vic
Bains: Naaah. He said he only wants to go to Melbourne.
Elshaug: Yeah ok. Maybe we could at least talk to his management?
Bains: Nope. No. I think we need to respect that.
Elshaug: I'm just saying, maybe we could offer him more money or something to entice him to us
Bains: Tony mate, stop now. You're embarrassing yourself

supersaints
Club Player

Welcome to the club Logan
Just think in' if his father was Chuck Berry. He'd be a... Logan Berry

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

It's concerns me he has two first names

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:How long is Nate Brown contracted for?
Brown was 10th in our best and fairest, ahead of both Joey and Roo.
Hope he sticks around for a few more years.
Brown played every game. 10th isn't that flash considering how B&F voting works

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
KingSaint
Club Player

David-Lee wrote:What perplexes me is that most fans can see we need a defender and we had a war chest of cash and pick 7 & 8 but didnt chase an elite like Lever? Who cares if they nominate a preferred club offer more money...now the best performing defender of 2017 is at a rival up and coming club. But we think we are geniuses for picking Logan because we badly need to fill the spot. For feck sake even Hodge was up for grabs!!!
Really you seriously think the club did not think about Lever?? You sir are a living example of why democracy can be a dangerous proposition

David-Lee
Club Player

skeptic wrote:
What shocks me is that you think you're the only one that's had this idea...

Exactly what do you think the brains trust talk about down there

Bains: Alright guys we need defenders, anyone got suggestions?
Elshaug: What about Lever guy, he's pretty good and he wants to return to Vic
Bains: Naaah. He said he only wants to go to Melbourne.
Elshaug: Yeah ok. Maybe we could at least talk to his management?
Bains: Nope. No. I think we need to respect that.
Elshaug: I'm just saying, maybe we could offer him more money or something to entice him to us
Bains: Tony mate, stop now. You're embarrassing yourself

Exactly. Our staff the ones we put our faith in to recruit the best players... cant. Name an elite either have brought on board? If you say Carlisle I swear....
My point that you brush aside in an effort to make a cynical funny ( needed more orginality and maybe pizzaz but was fair receiving 4.5 out of 10) is that EVERYONE knew we had had the $$$ and the picks.

It's Bain and Elshaugs duty to get players to sign. Any feck head can ring a manager and say, "hey we're interested". Even you could.

But they get paid to make the deal not the mother f@#king phone calls. They failed AGAIN.

Or are you Mr. Defender of all the club does saying they tried and NO ONE wants OUR millions or TWO top 10 draft picks??
Why did no one want to come?

You can't have it both ways....either no one wanted to come to our club which is a statement OR someone failed to get them here.

{ insert cyncical reply here}

ace
Saintsational Legend

What scares me most is Elshaug says "He has outstanding character".

I would much prefer outlaw motor cycle gang if they ripped the hearts out of the opposition and won us a premiership.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Thank you for the 4.5... fair score for something I made up on the spot.

The part of your post that irked me was your sense that we didn't consider it

No other club than Melbourne got a look in... maybe he was super impressed with something they did/said, maybe he hated the Saints from when he was a kid... maybe they were willing to pay him way more than we thought he was worth.
Did you consider that maybe they didn't want to pay overs for Lever or maybe they don't rate him as highly as u do?

All I'll add to this is look at the trade period as a whole... (summary in the thread I started)

Outside of Lever there was stuff all on offer that I reckon we wanted it and that was worth it

David-Lee
Club Player

skeptic wrote:Thank you for the 4.5... fair score for something I made up on the spot.

The part of your post that irked me was your sense that we didn't consider it

No other club than Melbourne got a look in... maybe he was super impressed with something they did/said, maybe he hated the Saints from when he was a kid... maybe they were willing to pay him way more than we thought he was worth.
Did you consider that maybe they didn't want to pay overs for Lever or maybe they don't rate him as highly as u do?

All I'll add to this is look at the trade period as a whole... (summary in the thread I started)

Outside of Lever there was stuff all on offer that I reckon we wanted it and that was worth it

Hence the challenge of getting across a point with written words. I didnt mean we didnt consider it I meant we didnt chase the big elites we need. We can pretend we did but not one mentioned us like Martin or Kelly. On forums we were right in the thick of it; but neither said they turned down our offers, they actually mention the offers of other clubs.

We can get lucky with the draft but need insane luck to get a game hardened brown medalist in the first year. Martin was unlikely to jump but who knows?

I know our guys talked to agents every teams recruiters do the same. But we have yet to live up to the talk. The hype of Bain and Elshaug and Pelchens master plan of a rebuild 2014-2018 which AR has coached has failed. Now it is all revised; pushed back and we didnt go aggressively and get our elite mid or defender or forward....but wait don't get sad! NEXT YEAR...yep next trade period will be bonza. Special kids from outer space with mad skills and free agents galore will flock to us as we get "aggressive" so we can win a grand final no later than 2020ish...and we mean it this time! Just give us your membership and buy all our gear and whatever you do never ever question the club...or risk being drummed out as a troll or traitor.

I'm so desparate to see us actually be a great club I would sit through another 10 year rebuild if only it resulted in a real change. I like AR but he will never get us there nor will many of the players who really put in an efgort every game.
I think we have a few young mem who will be elite but we lack so much its disheartning.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Fair enough on all points

I'm not sure on AR myself... I didn't mind him initially and like what he was doing with the list but the last 12 months has taken the gloss off for me...
Weird selections, weird structure, switching on and off...

My feeling is he's a bit too conservative.

That being said, he's at least doing somethings right.

Thanks for discussion and apologies for sinking the boots in a little to quickly

minneapolis
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:It's concerns me he has two first names
Greg Norman did alright.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
CarlD
Club Player

Alternatively, he has two surnames - is that better? :D

freely
SS Hall of Fame

CarlD wrote:
No, he has the right number of names - just in the wrong order. I hope he'll be all right putting his boots on!

degruch
Saintsational Legend

CarlD wrote:
Well, we missed out on Harrison Wigg

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

A Port Adelaide supporting colleague assures me he'll be good value.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
felix
Club Player

Since when is Logan a first name ...

saynta
Saintsational Legend

felix wrote:
Since when is Logan a first name ...

Since always.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Jordan, Riley, Myles, Mitchell, Reilly, Ryan, Darcy, Bryce, Harrison, Brodie, Taylor, Steele, Jackson, Mason, Hayden, Harley, Brady, Pearce, Mckenzie, Callan, Dawson, Blake, Marley, Jarman. All those first names are form current AFL players.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

There's also the Brayden, Hayden, Kaidyn thing going on. But that's another thing altogether.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Jordan, Riley, Myles, Mitchell, Reilly, Ryan, Darcy, Bryce, Harrison, Brodie, Taylor, Steele, Jackson, Mason, Hayden, Harley, Brady, Pearce, Mckenzie, Callan, Dawson, Blake, Marley, Jarman. All those first names are form current AFL players.
Not a "christian "name amongst that lot.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
cwrcyn wrote:Jordan, Riley, Myles, Mitchell, Reilly, Ryan, Darcy, Bryce, Harrison, Brodie, Taylor, Steele, Jackson, Mason, Hayden, Harley, Brady, Pearce, Mckenzie, Callan, Dawson, Blake, Marley, Jarman. All those first names are form current AFL players.
Geeez what an interesting observation. It reminds me of a very specific post from a former forumite... don't know if it was before your time though Saynta. Something about how they felt about particular non-Christians.

Racist old bugger that guy was. Did you see it per chance?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
saynta wrote:
Geeez what an interesting observation. It reminds me of a very specific post from a former forumite... don't know if it was before your time though Saynta. Something about how they felt about particular non-Christians.

Racist old bugger that guy was. Did you see it per chance?
Saynta is like a very mature cheese. Well aged.