Saints give up on Tomlinson

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Saints give up on Tomlinson

Oh well. Was worth a crack.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints give up on Tomlinson

Heard we were still in discussion yesterday, and were going to continue this morning...reports otherwise? GWS doesn't want Hickey? :P

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Just on AFL website. Saints are saying it won't work.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
bigred
Saintsational Legend

lol for a future second rounder are we really surprised?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:Just on AFL website. Saints are saying it won't work.
He is worth an early second Rd pick. Which we don't have.
He was never coming.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-17/s ... giant-tall

""After missing out on Tomlinson, the Saints plan to save money in preparation for a loaded 2018 free agency class.

"The way the salary cap works is you don't have to spend the money. I think there's confusion that 'Wow, if we don't bring in someone who's worthy of the dollars, we have to pay players A, B and C more money'. That's not the case," Bains said.

"The way the whole salary cap works with pre-payments, or even the AFL's banking system, if you don't use it this year, you've still got the capacity to use that same amount in future years, so that will certainly be the aim."

Bains also acknowledged the club might have too many ruckmen.

Billy Longer established himself as the No.1 option at the Saints while Tom Hickey lined up in just five matches this year, while Lewis Pierce did not add to his one senior game in 2017.

"In terms of the right number, we've got essentially five, if you classify Rowan Marshall, who's played predominantly forward but a bit of ruck, that might be too many," Bains said.

American rookie tall Jason Holmes is out of contract.""

Looks like Holmes is in a bit of trouble.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

saynta wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-17/s ... giant-tall

""After missing out on Tomlinson, the Saints plan to save money in preparation for a loaded 2018 free agency class.

"The way the salary cap works is you don't have to spend the money. I think there's confusion that 'Wow, if we don't bring in someone who's worthy of the dollars, we have to pay players A, B and C more money'. That's not the case," Bains said.

"The way the whole salary cap works with pre-payments, or even the AFL's banking system, if you don't use it this year, you've still got the capacity to use that same amount in future years, so that will certainly be the aim."

Bains also acknowledged the club might have too many ruckmen.

Billy Longer established himself as the No.1 option at the Saints while Tom Hickey lined up in just five matches this year, while Lewis Pierce did not add to his one senior game in 2017.

"In terms of the right number, we've got essentially five, if you classify Rowan Marshall, who's played predominantly forward but a bit of ruck, that might be too many," Bains said.

American rookie tall Jason Holmes is out of contract.""

Looks like Holmes is in a bit of trouble.
I think one of our rucks will depart. People are throwing Hickey around but he probably won't want to leave Melbourne anyway, even if we put him up for trade. The reason he moved to Vic was for football reasons and his partners acting career from memory.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Cool heads and strong nerve, Sainters! Let's not panic into just getting " someone! Anyone! " just yet. 2018 is the go! Hold your nerve, and GO Saints!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Drake Huggins
Club Player

This year looks like a write-off, trade wise. We couldn't make anything happen. Picks 7 & 8 await. I think that was always the reality and the club has been less than "aggressive" in its trading. Nothing to see here. Move along now. Disappointing we couldn't carry out our intentions, but it's not the end of the world. Better not to throw away picks on GOP just to say we did some trades.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:This year looks like a write-off, trade wise. We couldn't make anything happen. Picks 7 & 8 await. I think that was always the reality and the club has been less than "aggressive" in its trading. Nothing to see here. Move along now. Disappointing we couldn't carry out our intentions, but it's not the end of the world. Better not to throw away picks on GOP just to say we did some trades.
I fully agree with you there. In the end, the saints were never going to throw away pick 7 or 8 on just so so footballers.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote:This year looks like a write-off, trade wise. We couldn't make anything happen. Picks 7 & 8 await. I think that was always the reality and the club has been less than "aggressive" in its trading. Nothing to see here. Move along now. Disappointing we couldn't carry out our intentions, but it's not the end of the world. Better not to throw away picks on GOP just to say we did some trades.
I fully agree with you there. In the end, the saints were never going to throw away pick 7 or 8 on just so so footballers.
Not making the finals, when we had every chance to, and the last 6 weeks put a big gap between us and the bummers, who have attracted 2 decent players and may still get Strangler.

Having said that, our current list should develop substantially in the next 12 months. More so than anyother team outside of the 8. Picks 7 and 8 are crucial.

Here's hoping 2 very talented guys called McCartin and Freeman can fulfill their potential and bridge the gaps in our plan that opened up after round 16.

Edit: throw in potential deveopment with White Conellan and Battle.

Then we might just get aggressive and successful with Free Agency next year and get back on track.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

You make sense, CQS. Too much panic on here about us getting some GOPs. Apart from Saad and Smith, no one really suited our purposes, and even those two are not much better than what we already have. Trade period is like an auction. Too many excited buyers for a product that is a tad average.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Might be a wise move to trade one of our top ten picks for another clubs 2018 first rounder. That way we have plenty of incentive to the club of a prospective trade.
I think our entire timeline for success has now shifted given our failure to trade in any talent. I would be looking at 2019 getting Kelly, and 2020 as the top four goal.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "