Saints best and worst trades

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints best and worst trades

Scollop wrote:
SaintPav wrote:Take a chill pill.

Ok Stan coached well that day and if our board members and everyone else who worked at the club were touchy feely with each other we'd have a flag, possibly 4.

Is that better?

:roll:
He got them there and he was probably going to do it again if we didn't sack him...remind again who we replaced him with? Oh yeah that's right...Watson

Point is that our history around that time with the sacking of Ken Sheldon ( who I also thought was improving and growing as a coach) was one of instability. Both Ken and Stan were getting us deep into finals.

On the other hand...not saying we should hang on to Richo for the sake of consistency if he can't create opportunities in September to give us a chance
Don’t be so revisionist and stick to the topic which was about Stan’s coaching on the day.

Stan lost the players the following year. He lost the plot.

I don’t blame him because most likely he had PTSD because of the death of his son.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

kalsaint wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote: Did a Shanahan / Jarman that fateful day against Brainless at Waverley. Could've easily won it that year if we'd got past Geelong.
Did a Shanahan / Jarman. Surely you jest? What did Shanahan do wrong? The only person who stuffed up that day was Stan Alves, by not moving Jamie!
I believe Shanahan played on Jarman while he kicked 5 second-half goals and tore the game away from us. What Jamie did wrong was giving Jarman way too much latitude and he seemed to be wandering around in a daze. I doubt we had anyone else who could've stopped him. Shanahan, up to that point, was our best stopper by far. A disappointing end for someone who was a very good player for us. If only the cowboy was playing that day. As the great man said in the team meeting before the '71 GF when they discussed Peter Hudson. Yabb had conceded 6 to Hudson and felt we could win if we limited him to that many. Then the voice came from the back of the room, "You can't kick goals when you're unconscious." Remember, Hudson kicked three early before Bob Murray had to go off with a knee injury. Now I'm not advocating violence, well I am actually. Why someone didn't run through Jarman, or tried to rough him up a little, has always staggered me. They had no hesitation in trying to break Banger's ribs that day. If Vidovic had played that day, I doubt Jarman would have made it to the last quarter.
Missing Everitt and Perovic cost us badly in that second half losing clearances to D Jarman who wasn't even with Shanahan and therefore able to follow the ball relatively unimpeded and kick those goals.
Yes this was a coaching issue. Loewe only tall at centre contests. Shanahan roaming the backline with no one on him but watching the ball pass him overhead from his supposed direct opponent. :evil: :?

Think Val was long gone.

Who we did miss though was Smith.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I assume he meant Vidovic.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saynta
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:I assume he meant Vidovic.
Der. :wink: :roll:

MickThomas
Club Player

worst trades for me are Beau Wilkes/Maister, and David Gamble from Cattery.

Gamble used to run like he was wearing heavy steel-capped workboots.
He moved like someone playing in an EJ Whitten game that had put on 15 kgs of flab

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
older saint
SS Life Member

Drake Huggins wrote:
SinCitySainter wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote:Harding, Russo and Handley for pick one in 1988. At least Hawthorn only took Alex McDonald at one. Russo and HAndley were soon gone and Harding's last game for us was the 1991 elimination final, where he played on Billy Brainless, who tore us a new one, kicking 8. Pipped in a year we were a real chance. Thanks for coming, Paul. Took off the next year and played in a flag for West Coke. How many of our blokes have played in premierships at other clubs. The list must be endless. Worth its own thread.
However, in respect to that trade Harding was better for us than McDonald was for Hawthorn.
Fair enough, SCS. Line ball though. Neither were that great. Harding did play some good footy, but pissed off before we got any great value from him. Did a Shanahan / Jarman that fateful day against Brainless at Waverley. Could've easily won it that year if we'd got past Geelong.
In fairness to Harding he was a ruck who was asked to play full back that day. I think it was a mistake by Ken Sheldon that Frawley said as much recently ( despite him keeping the sniper goalless).

Agree though the ridiculous 3v4 and 5v6 elimination final system by the AFL killed us that year as we had beaten those above us and could have gone anywhere

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

parkeysainter wrote:Tony Delaney, Glenn Nugent, Michael Frost. :D
You’re also missing Gavin Mitchell, Sean Charles and Tony Francis from that glorious T Watson reign ....

:?

Go you red, black & white warriors
Drake Huggins
Club Player

Wombat15 wrote:Trading pick 6 for Barry Brooks

Trading pick 17 for Fergus Watts

We’ve had some shockers
Thanks for reminding me wombat15. I'd just recovered from that. Triggered!

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Drake Huggins
Club Player

Wombat15 wrote:Trading pick 6 for Barry Brooks

Trading pick 17 for Fergus Watts

We’ve had some shockers
Thanks for reminding me wombat15. I'd just recovered from that. Triggered!

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
damienc
Club Player

What about Luke Ball walking to the filth for zip. Thank you Ross Lyon. Not.