Completed Trades, all clubs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

Completed Trades, all clubs

A thread just for completed trades so we can take a quick glance at who is going where.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Completed Trades, all clubs

1:33pm

Saints looking to the draft

St Kilda COO Ameet Bains says it's likely the Saints will take their picks into the draft, rather than trading them out for players - but he says they may look to move higher up the draft by trading their picks.

He said the Saints needed to improve their depth in the midfield and defence, but it was more likely they would do that via the draft.

"I think taking the picks to the draft is more likely. What form that might take is the question," Bains told reporters at Etihad Stadium.

He also reiterated that the Saints have been told that Giant Adam Tomlinson is a required player and there will be no movement there unless GWS change their position.

Bains said there had been a lot of shadow boxing among clubs today.

No club had made specific inquiries about any St Kilda players and the Saints did not ask the question on Andrew Gaff, as they have been told "pretty clearly" that he'll be staying with the Eagles.

He also said with Nick Riewoldt retiring there's a real opportunity for the club to back in Paddy McCartin.

1:21pm

Drake Huggins
Club Player

No surprises there. 7 and 8 a nice position to be in. Please nail those picks! On another note, how far up the order could we get an upgrade. Would Brisbane take 1 for 7 & 8. Would you be satisfied with pick 2 from the GC? Personally, I think there's enough quality early on to justify hanging on to both.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

saynta wrote:1:33pm

Saints looking to the draft

St Kilda COO Ameet Bains says it's likely the Saints will take their picks into the draft, rather than trading them out for players - but he says they may look to move higher up the draft by trading their picks.

He said the Saints needed to improve their depth in the midfield and defence, but it was more likely they would do that via the draft.

"I think taking the picks to the draft is more likely. What form that might take is the question," Bains told reporters at Etihad Stadium.

He also reiterated that the Saints have been told that Giant Adam Tomlinson is a required player and there will be no movement there unless GWS change their position.

Bains said there had been a lot of shadow boxing among clubs today.

No club had made specific inquiries about any St Kilda players and the Saints did not ask the question on Andrew Gaff, as they have been told "pretty clearly" that he'll be staying with the Eagles.

He also said with Nick Riewoldt retiring there's a real opportunity for the club to back in Paddy McCartin.

1:21pm
I like the draft. Happy with pick 7 and 8 if the Saints track that way. We will get two of the best 18yo onballers in the country.

This years FA and trade period is a total bloody fizzer. Looks like the Saints will be barely involved in it also and there is buggar all in quality on offer anyway.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I’d rather 7 and 8 than just one to be honest. Gives you two chances at nailing a really good player than just the one. I like the tack the club is taking on this. Unless we were able to nab a Kelly or a Dustin Martin it’s good that we are invested in the draft.

No sense in putting one of our own Improving B graders out of the team to fit in a B grader from elsewhere.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

parkeysainter wrote:
This years FA and trade period is a total bloody fizzer. Looks like the Saints will be barely involved in it also and there is buggar all in quality on offer anyway.
there was some sublime talent on offer this year - we just couldnt/wouldnt get the deals done!

Seeya
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Of course we'll trade 7 & 8 if the price is right.

Bain's speil is just his opening gambit in 11 days of negotiating.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: there was some sublime talent on offer this year - we just couldnt/wouldnt get the deals done!
no one could entice a player to leave

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

It would be nice to have a thread dedicated to completed trades, all clubs.

That way I could get home from work and find out what's actually happened without having to read through opinion pieces.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like an opinion.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:No surprises there. 7 and 8 a nice position to be in. Please nail those picks! On another note, how far up the order could we get an upgrade. Would Brisbane take 1 for 7 & 8. Would you be satisfied with pick 2 from the GC? Personally, I think there's enough quality early on to justify hanging on to both.
Yep. Tend to agree with you there.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:No surprises there. 7 and 8 a nice position to be in. Please nail those picks! On another note, how far up the order could we get an upgrade. Would Brisbane take 1 for 7 & 8. Would you be satisfied with pick 2 from the GC? Personally, I think there's enough quality early on to justify hanging on to both.
Agree, other than the Reiwoldt type draft when their is one superstar, history would show 2 x top ten would get a better return than 1 or 2 stand alone.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:
Agree, other than the Reiwoldt type draft when their is one superstar, history would show 2 x top ten would get a better return than 1 or 2 stand alone.
Agree, for instance we could've traded pick 1 (Paddy) I think dor two top tens but chose not to!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Joffa Burns wrote:
Agree, for instance we could've traded pick 1 (Paddy) I think dor two top tens but chose not to!

Could be wrong but all those potential picks we could have traded for a GWS, 4, 6 and 7 have all left the club. We would have drafted differently but it is an example that multiple later doesn't always work.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:It would be nice to have a thread dedicated to completed trades, all clubs.

That way I could get home from work and find out what's actually happened without having to read through opinion pieces.
Try reading SEN or the AFL site (bangs gead on wall) instead then. This post might have 5 pages before anything actually happens.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:
Toy Saint wrote:It would be nice to have a thread dedicated to completed trades, all clubs.

Try reading SEN or the AFL site (bangs head on wall) instead then. This post might have 5 pages before anything actually happens.
Toy Saint is right. This thread isn't for opinion peices. If I want to read an opinion I might try Caroline Wilson's column.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:

Try reading SEN or the AFL site (bangs head on wall) instead then. This post might have 5 pages before anything actually happens.
Toy Saint is right. This thread isn't for opinion peices. If I want to read an opinion I might try Caroline Wilson's column.
That is certainly an opinion that I would never agree with. An opinion nevertheless.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:

That is certainly an opinion that I would never agree with. An opinion nevertheless.
True she's a bit**

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
shrodes
SS Life Member

Not quite completed, but talk of Rockliff deal to Port being close with Port lodging free agency papers today

Port offering around 650k per season for 4 seasons.
Brisbane likely to get end of 1st Rd pick, No.18 as compensation

Drake Huggins
Club Player

Spinner wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
Joffa Burns wrote:

Could be wrong but all those potential picks we could have traded for a GWS, 4, 6 and 7 have all left the club. We would have drafted differently but it is an example that multiple later doesn't always work.
You are right, Spinner. It shapes as a bust for GWS. Imagine if we lost seven and eight after two years? The place would melt down! Marchbank and Pickett are looking OK at Carlscum. I would take those two. We were interested in Marchbank but he went with SOS. Good player and just what we needed. Pickett is the nippy small forward we need. Ahern has had no luck with his knees but has great potential. Those three were all victims of the talent glut at GWS, which landed us another potential gun in Jack Steele. Keep stealing their good players, I say. Reports of the Giants domination of the competition have been greatly exaggerated. I think their coach mightn't be as good as they would have us believe, either.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
To the top
SS Life Member

GWS have said they no longer have interest in established players and will look to the Draft

So they trade out players to obtain Draft picks not available due to their ladder position, continuing the dynasty they have been gifted due to the massive Draft concessions they have enjoyed

I reckon they are doing very well - perhaps too well

They will remain the side to beat

Remember that we tried to get Kelly

So, basically, they are not losing who they do not want to lose

And they are getting the Draft picks they are getting for those they are allowing to leave

Carlton are benefitting because of Silvagni, who was at St Kilda before joining GWS and now being at Carlton

For St Kilda it is a matter of picking the eyes - and at the right cost because the GWS strategy says those eyes to pick will be there as they seek the Draft picks they covet to extend their dynasty

Compare to Gold Coast who put all their eggs in one basket

shrodes
SS Life Member

Lever to Melbourne done
Crows have traded Jake Lever, pick 35 & future 3rd round pick to Demons for pick 10 & future 1st & 4th round picks
Last edited by shrodes on Thu 12 Oct 2017 11:25am, edited 1 time in total.

shrodes
SS Life Member

Devon Smith to Bombers done
Giants get: Pick 11 & a future 3rd round selection

Ess get: Smith, pick 24 & future 2nd round pick.

Royston
Club Player

So Devon Smith goes to the Bombers

Saints have dodged a low flying dwarf shot from a cannon there !!

7 & 8 to the draft we go !

shrodes
SS Life Member

Hawks get Impey + 67
Port get 33, 61 and 2018 4th round