Saints were involved in one of the worst trades in history..

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Re: Saints were involved in one of the worst trades in histo

Postby Drake Huggins » Mon 09 Oct 2017 2:38pm

Any way you add it up, it's hilarious. One can only hope he stuffs this year's trades up as badly. I know Schadenfreude is not a healthy thing to indulge in, but in this case, a little of what's bad for you is actually good.
"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
User avatar
Drake Huggins
Club Player
 
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed 04 Oct 2017 4:28pm
Location: The G.G. Huggins Stand

Re: Saints were involved in one of the worst trades in histo

Postby degruch » Mon 09 Oct 2017 2:41pm

Sainter_Dad wrote:
degruch wrote:
Captain Impossible wrote:I thought Essendon used our pick 5 on Darcy Parish?


They did...Francis was #6. However, our #5 became #6 because of a change in the draft order...can't remember why.


No - no - no - no - no

Our pick 5 became pick 6 due to draft re-ordering (academy etc) Parish was always going with Essendons first pick (4 became 5) and Francis was the pick that we gave them - pick 6 (after adjustments for inflation - or whatever)

Essendon Pick 4 --> Pick 5 --> Darcy Parish
St Kilda Pick 5 --> Pick 6 --> Aaron Francis


:lol: Isn't that exactly what I've just explained?
Last edited by degruch on Mon 09 Oct 2017 2:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
SaintPav wrote:It's a cliche now piss off you snot nose ignoramus.
User avatar
degruch
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 7718
Joined: Mon 19 May 2008 4:29pm
Location: Sunny Doncaster

Re: Saints were involved in one of the worst trades in histo

Postby degruch » Mon 09 Oct 2017 2:41pm

Drake Huggins wrote:Any way you add it up, it's hilarious. One can only hope he stuffs this year's trades up as badly. I know Schadenfreude is not a healthy thing to indulge in, but in this case, a little of what's bad for you is actually good.


There's a hell of a lot of Schadenfreude to go under the bridge still.
SaintPav wrote:It's a cliche now piss off you snot nose ignoramus.
User avatar
degruch
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 7718
Joined: Mon 19 May 2008 4:29pm
Location: Sunny Doncaster

Re: Saints were involved in one of the worst trades in histo

Postby kosifantutti » Mon 09 Oct 2017 3:32pm

degruch wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:
degruch wrote:
Captain Impossible wrote:I thought Essendon used our pick 5 on Darcy Parish?


They did...Francis was #6. However, our #5 became #6 because of a change in the draft order...can't remember why.


No - no - no - no - no

Our pick 5 became pick 6 due to draft re-ordering (academy etc) Parish was always going with Essendons first pick (4 became 5) and Francis was the pick that we gave them - pick 6 (after adjustments for inflation - or whatever)

Essendon Pick 4 --> Pick 5 --> Darcy Parish
St Kilda Pick 5 --> Pick 6 --> Aaron Francis


:lol: Isn't that exactly what I've just explained?

It’s your first two words that don’t match the rest of what you wrote.
The 2018 sponsorship is now open. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=94296
User avatar
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 5199
Joined: Fri 21 Jan 2005 9:06am
Location: Back in town

Re: Saints were involved in one of the worst trades in histo

Postby degruch » Mon 09 Oct 2017 3:49pm

kosifantutti wrote:
degruch wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:
degruch wrote:
Captain Impossible wrote:I thought Essendon used our pick 5 on Darcy Parish?


They did...Francis was #6. However, our #5 became #6 because of a change in the draft order...can't remember why.


No - no - no - no - no

Our pick 5 became pick 6 due to draft re-ordering (academy etc) Parish was always going with Essendons first pick (4 became 5) and Francis was the pick that we gave them - pick 6 (after adjustments for inflation - or whatever)

Essendon Pick 4 --> Pick 5 --> Darcy Parish
St Kilda Pick 5 --> Pick 6 --> Aaron Francis


:lol: Isn't that exactly what I've just explained?

It’s your first two words that don’t match the rest of what you wrote.


Ah, got it. In the spirit of the trade period, I'd much rather move up a thread and trade 'our', than offload 'they did', as they've brought some real X factor to the conversation.
SaintPav wrote:It's a cliche now piss off you snot nose ignoramus.
User avatar
degruch
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 7718
Joined: Mon 19 May 2008 4:29pm
Location: Sunny Doncaster

Re: Saints were involved in one of the worst trades in histo

Postby ace » Mon 09 Oct 2017 8:48pm

bergsone wrote:Lets hope we keep these bad trades coming


We could offer them Paddy for picks 11 and 28 (soon to be 29)
The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
User avatar
ace
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 6641
Joined: Sun 16 Dec 2007 3:28pm
Location: St Kilda

Re: Saints were involved in one of the worst trades in histo

Postby beebarry » Sun 15 Oct 2017 11:23am

Am I missing something ?

Essendon drafted Parish with out Pick 5 .....a definite winner there .....they drafted Francis at 6.

So Parish and Bird for Gresham and Carlisle ....we are still ahead on that one at the moment but not by as much as it would have been with Francis ....Parish will be a gun ....
User avatar
beebarry
Club Player
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri 19 Mar 2004 1:37am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Saints were involved in one of the worst trades in histo

Postby beebarry » Sun 15 Oct 2017 11:23am

Am I missing something ?

Essendon drafted Parish with out Pick 5 .....a definite winner there .....they drafted Francis at 6.

So Parish and Bird for Gresham and Carlisle ....we are still ahead on that one at the moment but not by as much as it would have been with Francis ....Parish will be a gun ....
User avatar
beebarry
Club Player
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri 19 Mar 2004 1:37am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Saints were involved in one of the worst trades in histo

Postby Mr Magic » Sun 15 Oct 2017 11:42am

beebarry wrote:Am I missing something ?

Essendon drafted Parish with out Pick 5 .....a definite winner there .....they drafted Francis at 6.

So Parish and Bird for Gresham and Carlisle ....we are still ahead on that one at the moment but not by as much as it would have been with Francis ....Parish will be a gun ....


Yes, you are missing something.
The pick we gave Essendon for Carlisle was originally #5 but it moved to #6 because of what transpired during picks 1-3.
Essendon already had pick #4 which became pick #5 - this they used on Parish.
Our pick (traded for Carlisle) became pick #6 (straight after the Parish pick) and was used on Francis.
User avatar
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 11723
Joined: Fri 04 May 2007 9:38am

Re: Saints were involved in one of the worst trades in histo

Postby Drake Huggins » Sun 15 Oct 2017 12:28pm

I still rank the Carlisle trade as the best we've done in my memory. Carlisle and Gresham for pick 5 and what effectively became pick 29, which the dopers spent on Morgan, who looks like being delisted after just two years. Poor lad has chronic hamstring problems and hasn't been able to play. We are that far in front in that deal, they will never catch up.
"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
User avatar
Drake Huggins
Club Player
 
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed 04 Oct 2017 4:28pm
Location: The G.G. Huggins Stand

Re: Saints were involved in one of the worst trades in histo

Postby lewdogs » Sun 15 Oct 2017 1:49pm

Y'know what, on top of the Francis debacle, have to say I don't really rate Parish that highly either. Kicks the ball like Clint Jones; horrible action.
User avatar
lewdogs
Club Player
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Tue 17 Jun 2008 2:11pm

Re: Saints were involved in one of the worst trades in histo

Postby 8856brother » Sun 15 Oct 2017 6:27pm

Not sure we should be throwing stones. As far as I'm concerned, Lovett for 16 and getting sfa for Ball are both right up there.
_______________________________________________________________________
"Don't argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."
User avatar
8856brother
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4354
Joined: Wed 14 Sep 2011 2:58pm
Location: Twin Peaks

Re: Saints were involved in one of the worst trades in histo

Postby MickThomas » Sun 15 Oct 2017 6:48pm

Drake Huggins wrote:I still rank the Carlisle trade as the best we've done in my memory. Carlisle and Gresham for pick 5 and what effectively became pick 29, which the dopers spent on Morgan, who looks like being delisted after just two years. Poor lad has chronic hamstring problems and hasn't been able to play. We are that far in front in that deal, they will never catch up.


+1
It's not just the trade itself, it's also the fact that we desperately needed a big strong talented key defender, and Jake has ticked the boxes there.
Having lost him for 12 months really hurt, but we couldn't predict that.
Some might suggest the gap year gave him time to physically n spiritually freshen up,
so it might be a blessing in disguise.

The only sour point is revealing how hot we were for Jakey,
and just like a house auction, we drove the price up.
Con Gorozides isn't a troll, he has opinions like we all do.
If you disagree with him and attack personally
rather than use logic and facts,
you're either lazy or your comment can be viewed as trolling.
MickThomas
Club Player
 
Posts: 418
Joined: Mon 21 Aug 2017 1:23am
Location: Doncaster, Victoria

Re: Saints were involved in one of the worst trades in histo

Postby kosifantutti » Thu 26 Oct 2017 10:29am

Craig Bird has been delisted. I wont know what this means until I hear from David King.
The 2018 sponsorship is now open. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=94296
User avatar
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 5199
Joined: Fri 21 Jan 2005 9:06am
Location: Back in town

Re: Saints were involved in one of the worst trades in histo

Postby SydneySainter » Thu 26 Oct 2017 10:48am

8856brother wrote:Not sure we should be throwing stones. As far as I'm concerned, Lovett for 16 and getting sfa for Ball are both right up there.


Normally I would agree, but Bomber fans took every opportunity to throw of stones.

Pick 16 for Lovett - yes, we're still the big losers on that one and it will always be arguably the worse trade in the history of the trade period. But what did the Dons spend pick 16 on? Williams from the Hawks, so they were hardly laughing all the way to the bank on that one. My Bomber mates are always very quick to change the topic when that gets mentioned.

They also dug the boot in after the WADA ban. "Thanks heaps for pick 5" and "how much are you paying Carlisle for not playing this year?", etc. Now they tell me how much they miss him.

The Bombers are standing in a glass house also. That being said, they're still ahead of us in being a "destination" club and make us look like rookies during the most recent trade period.
Bring Back The Heritage Strip!
User avatar
SydneySainter
Club Player
 
Posts: 1268
Joined: Sat 26 May 2007 6:59pm

Re: Saints were involved in one of the worst trades in histo

Postby kalsaint » Sat 28 Oct 2017 12:17am

parkeysainter wrote:But I thought the Saints were terrible at recruitment, trading and drafting? :)


:twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen:
Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
kalsaint
Club Player
 
Posts: 1729
Joined: Sat 24 Apr 2004 10:24pm
Location: Kalgoorlie WA

Re: Saints were involved in one of the worst trades in histo

Postby kalsaint » Sat 28 Oct 2017 12:20am

8856brother wrote:Not sure we should be throwing stones. As far as I'm concerned, Lovett for 16 and getting sfa for Ball are both right up there.


Yes. we have had our real bad ones. A really old trrible one was Billy Barret for Ian Stewart. Barret lasted a week, Stewart a Brownlow later.
Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
kalsaint
Club Player
 
Posts: 1729
Joined: Sat 24 Apr 2004 10:24pm
Location: Kalgoorlie WA

Re: Saints were involved in one of the worst trades in histo

Postby SaintPav » Sat 28 Oct 2017 8:39am

8856brother wrote:Not sure we should be throwing stones. As far as I'm concerned, Lovett for 16 and getting sfa for Ball are both right up there.


Typical victim mentality.

Who cares what's happened in the past.

When you get a chance to stick the boot in, you stick the boot in.
User avatar
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 9673
Joined: Wed 16 Jun 2010 9:24pm
Location: Alma Road

Re: Saints were involved in one of the worst trades in histo

Postby Spinner » Sat 28 Oct 2017 9:25am

8856brother wrote:Not sure we should be throwing stones. As far as I'm concerned, Lovett for 16 and getting sfa for Ball are both right up there.




How much of Ball for SFA has influence the next St Kilda bloke requesting a trade... there's been none and if they do the clubs know they will have to pay up.

What Lyon lost in pick 30 for Ball he gained 100 times over getting pick 2 for Lachie Weller!
User avatar
Spinner
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 7727
Joined: Sat 02 Dec 2006 3:40pm
Location: Victoria

Re: Saints were involved in one of the worst trades in histo

Postby whiskers3614 » Sat 28 Oct 2017 9:33am

Spinner wrote:
8856brother wrote:Not sure we should be throwing stones. As far as I'm concerned, Lovett for 16 and getting sfa for Ball are both right up there.




How much of Ball for SFA has influence the next St Kilda bloke requesting a trade... there's been none and if they do the clubs know they will have to pay up.

What Lyon lost in pick 30 for Ball he gained 100 times over getting pick 2 for Lachie Weller!


You do realise the comedy festival is over, Ross?
How is us gifting Collingwood a premiership compensated for by Freo receiving overs for Weller 7 years later?
whiskers3614
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3378
Joined: Thu 20 May 2010 11:49pm

Re: Saints were involved in one of the worst trades in histo

Postby Spinner » Sat 28 Oct 2017 5:24pm

whiskers3614 wrote:
Spinner wrote:
8856brother wrote:Not sure we should be throwing stones. As far as I'm concerned, Lovett for 16 and getting sfa for Ball are both right up there.




How much of Ball for SFA has influence the next St Kilda bloke requesting a trade... there's been none and if they do the clubs know they will have to pay up.

What Lyon lost in pick 30 for Ball he gained 100 times over getting pick 2 for Lachie Weller!


You do realise the comedy festival is over, Ross?
How is us gifting Collingwood a premiership compensated for by Freo receiving overs for Weller 7 years later?




Incredible. The major reason we were reluctant to trade for 30 was that it WAS gifting a top 4 competitor... they actually did everything to avoid this and it was a massive result that Ball lasted until then.

The fact that your point contradicts your entire arguement yet you still write it is outrageous. Give me something better to work with :lol:
User avatar
Spinner
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 7727
Joined: Sat 02 Dec 2006 3:40pm
Location: Victoria

Previous

Return to Saintsational Fan Forum (open to all ages)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bobmurray, Con Gorozidis, CQ SAINT, Google [Bot] and 13 guests