Jason Holmes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vazelos
Club Player

Jason Holmes

Last player on the list with no decision yet for 2018 is Jason Holmes.
We dont know whether Rowan Marshall will stay as a Rookie or go on the main list either.
It seems Ameet Bains has stated Hickey is a required player for 2018 also.

ATM we have Longer, Hickey, Lewis, Holmes & Marshall as Ruckman on our list.

Lewis has 2 years left!!!
Can you see Holmes surviving & if not why are they taking so long to decide?

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Re: Jason Holmes

Nah. Really admire Holmes for what he's done but the Saints can't keep every ruck on the list. Billy and Hickey should stay as both can play at the top level. Marshall deserves a list spot and is athletic. Plus can go forward and back and be a backup ruck.
Pearce might get the nod because of the contract.
Sorry Holmesy (I think he is the best tap ruck of the lot though).

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Vazelos
Club Player

Agreed

8bloggs
Club Player

Being uncontracted but not delisted at this time of year says the club is keeping its options open for a reason.
A reason could be that if another ruck is being floated as a trade option then the club can keep Holmes as backup if it happens or de-list him later if not.
With Longer now our number one ruck and Hickey having some trade value, is this what is happening?

older saint
SS Life Member

Don't think Hickey isn't being shopped - by saying club wants to keep him increases the value as opposed to want to move him on.

Exactly correct in keeping options open by no delistings at this point in time

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Of course, Tomlinson can also ruck...

Gordo'
Club Player
Location: banned for a spell, things didn't turn out so well, every thread i played, ffs was lucky i stayed!!!

freely wrote:Of course, Tomlinson can also ruck...
ffs!!! :shock:

back, forward, on the ball apparently, and now in the flowering ruck too!!! we clearly extended richo's contract too flowering soon, as i bet this tomlinson can coach too, ffs!!!

i wonder if he can also sing as well as harriet, as i read that she has another gig now. as a flowering librarian, ffs!!! :roll: so now the band needs to find a new flowering vocalist! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Fortitude Fidelity Sainta.
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Gordo' wrote:
freely wrote:Of course, Tomlinson can also ruck...
ffs!!! :shock:

back, forward, on the ball apparently, and now in the flowering ruck too!!! we clearly extended richo's contract too flowering soon, as i bet this tomlinson can coach too, ffs!!!

i wonder if he can also sing as well as harriet, as i read that she has another gig now. as a flowering librarian, ffs!!! :roll: so now the band needs to find a new flowering vocalist! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Great to know he's got your flowering support too, Gordo! I also read somewhere that when he started out he modelled his game on Nick - just another flowering flower in his flowering cap for mine!

Club Player

well it is spring, as can Holmes

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Sandy will be stoked if he stays. I wish he had been given a game this year, though. Hickey was next to useless when he came in for Billy.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:Sandy will be stoked if he stays. I wish he had been given a game this year, though. Hickey was next to useless when he came in for Billy.
No top 10 finish for Billy (not even top 15). Stonecold prediction was a bit out.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
shrodes
SS Life Member

Jacks Back wrote:
Sainternist wrote:Sandy will be stoked if he stays. I wish he had been given a game this year, though. Hickey was next to useless when he came in for Billy.
No top 10 finish for Billy (not even top 15). Stonecold prediction was a bit out.
Pretty rare for rucks to poll votes in anything I would have thought. How did Hickey fare last year in the B+F?

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:
Pretty rare for rucks to poll votes in anything I would have thought. How did Hickey fare last year in the B+F?
No idea but the cold stone told us Billy would be top 10 in the b&f. That's all. Not knocking Billy or Tommy.

“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

To the top
SS Life Member

With all due respect and recognition for what he has achieved Holmes is not the answer

Simply, Holmes is more of a liability to the side than Longer is

Neither can do anything other than contest bounces - and an analysis of both WB last season and Richmond this season shows that playing Longer with his restrictions is not to the benefit of St Kilda and improvement from a middle rated side with deficiencies that require addressing

So we need contributions from some whose seasons were curtailed by injury and further impact from those First Round Draftees bought to the Club during the Richardson tenure

Then we need leg speed and precision with the ball from our "smalls", both forward and particularly back

Then we get to our rucks

Really, Longer is similar to Brown and a couple of others we have in that the contribution required is absent

And this is where we must improve to not only keep pace with the rest of the competition but to make up the gap from a middling side to a contender

I don't think we are too far off given correct decisions on personnel and some luck - which never hurts!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
shrodes wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:
No idea but the cold stone told us Billy would be top 10 in the b&f. That's all. Not knocking Billy or Tommy.
Hickey finished 8th in 2016.

To the top
SS Life Member

Didn't Ryder win PA's B&F?

So Ryder got votes, just for starters

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:Didn't Ryder win PA's B&F?

I'm 110% behind you on Longer Ttt. We need a ruckman who can hold his own in the ruck but then also contributes around the ground. Now while Hickey may, or may not, be that guy, Longer certainly isn't at this stage.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Agree Holmes is cooked.

Therefore Saints logic is to sign him up for another 2 years.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:Didn't Ryder win PA's B&F?

Ryder came 1st at PA.
Jacobs came 4th at Adelaide.
Kreuzer 3rd at Carlton.
Grundy 5th at Collingwood.
*Gawn finished 3rd at Melbourne in 2016.

To the top
SS Life Member

And just to add, I note McEvoy was runner up at Hawthorn

What we do need in 2018 is a fit Hickey playing to his top 10 B&F in 2016

What is not acknowledged on here is that when we pushed Sydney pre season Armitage and Hickey were our 2 best

From there Hickey struggled ahead of being rested, then withdrawn from the VFL because of doubt on Longer meaning he was thrown into an AFL game completely underdone

Given the service given to Armitage and Steven in 2016 at Centre bounces, the absence of 3rd up is a nonsense

Plus Hickey can perform as an additional mid, winning and using his own ball

The problem is Hickey's knees and we just have to get him right - again

To the top
SS Life Member

Am I correct in recalling we sent Hickey to the USA after the 2015 season for a treatment on his knees?

And he came back for a full pre-season and a stellar 2016

Gordo'
Club Player
Location: banned for a spell, things didn't turn out so well, every thread i played, ffs was lucky i stayed!!!

Jacks Back wrote:No top 10 finish for Billy (not even top 15).
ffs!!! you make a good point there mate! just like the new premiers, looks like our coaches don't really rate flowering meaningless taps, to a wherefloweringmeaninglessever, ffs!. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Fortitude Fidelity Sainta.
lewdogs
Club Player

It's a tough situation for Holmes. At the end of the day, I would way rather have him on the list than Pierce, as if he needed to be called upon at AFL level he would be much more up to the task. I'm assuming that we are waiting to see if Hickey might move somewhere else, and if he does we'll re-sign Holmes. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if another club picked him up as he is a pretty amazing tap ruckman and still may improve other aspects of his game.