Saints inactive this FA and trade period?!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Saints inactive this FA and trade period?!

I'm always very positive about the club but I'm getting a feeling the Saints are going to be inactive this trade period. It seems that since we missed out on Kelly nothing is coming through the media or anywhere else about who we might be chasing or getting. The club is very silent also. I was bullish after the season ended for the Saints but things seem very different this year on the eve of the draft/FA period for some reason. Anyone else feel this way?

I've got no dramas if we take pick 7 and 8 to the draft either and there is still plenty of water to pass under the bridge in the next few weeks. Things may change suddenly though and I personally have my own fingers crossed Ameet Bains and Co are wheeling and dealing behind closed scenes to get us a gun mid. Hmmm....if only my 80's hero Phil Narkle was around.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Gershwin
Club Player

Re: Saints inactive this FA and trade period?!

I get the feeling we will be very active.

summertime and the living is easy ........
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Nope. There's a lot of movement already, and we flagged our intention to get busy this trade period...reckon there'll be 3-4 heading our way.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

degruch wrote:Nope. There's a lot of movement already, and we flagged our intention to get busy this trade period...reckon there'll be 3-4 heading our way.
Who? Not a peep has come through from anything or anywhere yet.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
bergsone
SS Life Member

We have the picks and the $ to be active in trade and drafts

Might seem quiet atm ,just reckon we will land someone who maynot have even been mentioned yet.

Time will tell

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Hope we are inactive.
We finished mid table.
We have a young list.
We have a huge opportunity with two top ten draft picks.
We are in a development phase with our list mgt.
Don't panic by chasing ordinary mature players.
Let's just back ourselves and stick to developing our own kids.
Sure if u can land a gun like JK you take it but let's not chase a consolation prize.
Need to hold our nerve.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:Hope we are inactive.
We finished mid table.
We have a young list.
Sure if u can land a gun like JK you take it but let's not chase a consolation prize.
Need to hold our nerve.
Half agree Con G....but if the Swans gave us Luke Parker or Dylan Shiel for those 2 picks would you take it?

I didn't realise how young our list is now. There is heaps of development and improvement in the list IMO.

Also agree its pointless to recruit so so mature players as a last gasp effort like Collingwood did last year. I would burn my membership in anticipation if we got a Wells or Mayne. Kill me now.

takeaway
Club Player

I think we will be quite active, not hearing too much at this stage may be good, not public like Norf.
if not, happy to go to the draft.

Would have loved Kelly, but now I don't know about a big fish, they cost a lot and that has ramifications for the future. May be better getting a couple of B or B+ players to suit our needs as Richmond did with Prestia, Caddy & Nankervis

What big fish to date has resulted in a flag?

GAJ - nope
Buddy - nope
Danger - nope
Treloar - nope

T Boyd was not a gun when he was traded and is still a long way from a gun, played one good game, which they may well have won without him.

Apparently we are having a go at Sloane, GREAT player but is 27 & would cost a lot.

Most of our improvement is going to come with improvements to the young group (we hope), so if we can fill a few gaps with reasonable players may be the way to go.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:
degruch wrote:Nope. There's a lot of movement already, and we flagged our intention to get busy this trade period...reckon there'll be 3-4 heading our way.
If you believe half the stuff posted this time of the year we've had a nip at 3-4 GWS players, Stringer, Gaff, Sloane, so hardly quiet. I can't remember the Tigers making much noise other than Prestia before the trade period last year, yet they landed 3 big ones. You're throwing the towel in early, as there'll need to be some major upheavals for GAJ to get back to the Cats and Lever to Melbourne alone, plus throw Gibbs in a possibility, potentially a big ripple effect and we're sitting on the outside with cash and draft picks.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

degruch wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:
If you believe half the stuff posted this time of the year we've had a nip at 3-4 GWS players, Stringer, Gaff, Sloane, so hardly quiet. I can't remember the Tigers making much noise other than Prestia before the trade period last year, yet they landed 3 big ones. You're throwing the towel in early, as there'll need to be some major upheavals for GAJ to get back to the Cats and Lever to Melbourne alone, plus throw Gibbs in a possibility, potentially a big ripple effect and we're sitting on the outside with cash and draft picks.
I'm not throwing in the towell just yet. The Saints just seem to be unsually quiet compared to the last few years. There is nothing of substance to be found yet anywhere IMO.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

takeaway wrote:I think we will be quite active, not hearing too much at this stage may be good, not public like Norf.
if not, happy to go to the draft.

Would have loved Kelly, but now I don't know about a big fish, they cost a lot and that has ramifications for the future. May be better getting a couple of B or B+ players to suit our needs as Richmond did with Prestia, Caddy & Nankervis

What big fish to date has resulted in a flag?

GAJ - nope
Buddy - nope
Danger - nope
Treloar - nope

T Boyd was not a gun when he was traded and is still a long way from a gun, played one good game, which they may well have won without him.

Apparently we are having a go at Sloane, GREAT player but is 27 & would cost a lot.

Most of our improvement is going to come with improvements to the young group (we hope), so if we can fill a few gaps with reasonable players may be the way to go.
Agreed.

The whole thing is a bloody lottery in some respects half the time also.

saint-stu
Club Player

We could get two future big fish with picks 7 and 8. Surely we can't stuff both up?

1ac46a38
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:
3 big ones?
You have to be joking me.
Caddy was not wanted by Geelong and Nankervis was surplus at the Swans.
They were not big fish. At the time everyone considered them Duds.
The reality is the Tigers big fish - Martin, Rance, Cotchin and Riewoldt were all taken in the draft. Those big fish won them a flag.

stkfc1
Club Player

Unless we can pull off a miracle trade that no one saw coming, really we should go to the draft and only be looking at players we can get in on the cheap, that will improve our bottom six. If we can find players on the peripheral of their current team, that should get a game, but too many simliar players (Steele perfect example), they're the ones to
go for. Not having a second round pick is not helping our cause as for 7 and 8 you'd want someone pretty bloody good. Usually you'd have someone wanting to leave to look at other opportunities,that we can use to negotiate a deal but a testament to the club is that no one has wanted to leave for a few years now. If we do go for something like Gaff and 2nd round pick for pick 8 we need to use that 2nd round pick on someone juicy. Im sure the club has someone in mind.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Hope we are inactive.
We finished mid table.
We have a young list.
Need to hold our nerve.
Spot on mate. I like the way you think.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Unlike some, I think the club is floundering and needs to really get tough and smart in recruiting, coaching, and list management. The coach is going to have to get a lot more out of the more experienced and middle rung of players.

To the top
SS Life Member

Our side in 2018 will hopefully be improved by 2 Top 10 Draft Picks in Mc Cartin and Freeman being available, a top 20 Pick in Goddard being available and Armitage returning.

Plus Picks 7 and 8 as cream on the cake - noting that you do not rely on first year players to lead the side.

Then we have the likes of White, who has shown potential.

Plus a couple of other players free of the constraints of injury.

To me, that is not a bad start given the core we have

The above named should address our problem, being our bottom 6.

Unless we can get class such as Martin or Kelly we are better positioned to continue the re-built from Lyon by 7 AND 8

And we look for 7 AND 8 plus Freeman to add pace and precision with the ball - and Armitage to add class.

SMS
Club Player

Exactly i would love grtting in 2 young guns at 7,8

2018 will see McCartin Goddard Freeman Battle Long Phillips White Rice ALL emerge. Back to moorabin then a massive 2018 draft of that star we need.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Couldn’t agree more with the last two posts.
We have natural improvement ahead and 7+8 in the draft will only add to that

saint-stu
Club Player

spert wrote:Unlike some, I think the club is floundering and needs to really get tough and smart in recruiting, coaching, and list management. The coach is going to have to get a lot more out of the more experienced and middle rung of players.
You might be right. Are we like the Roos who for years overrated their list and kept topping up? Or are we more like the Dogs before they started playing finals? Or even the tigers a few years ago?

I choose to think optimistically because the alternative is too depressing.
Con Gorozidis wrote: Hope we are inactive.
We finished mid table.
We have a young list.
Need to hold our nerve.
Nailed it Con.

1ac46a38
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Strewth, some people have ants in their pants.

If the right deal (s) arise that suit our needs, we'll be active.

Fairly obvious, is it not?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

From AFL website :

St Kilda midfielder David Armitage will remain a Saint in 2018 after his manager, Shane Casley, dismissed speculation he could join either Gold Coast or the Brisbane Lions.

• Saints forward Paddy McCartin won't be going anywhere either, according to his manager Scott Lucas.

saint-stu
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote:From AFL website :

St Kilda midfielder David Armitage will remain a Saint in 2018 after his manager, Shane Casley, dismissed speculation he could join either Gold Coast or the Brisbane Lions.

• Saints forward Paddy McCartin won't be going anywhere either, according to his manager Scott Lucas.
Good to hear. We missed Armo this year.

1ac46a38
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

It's all good going to the draft with 7 and 8, but then we need to wait 4-6 years before they mature. At what point of this rebuild are we going to get serious again then? Is it a 5-6 year one, or a 10-12 year rebuild?
We have an ok list that with a few A graders will start competing, I want to bring in ready made talent if we can do it

Bring back the Lockett era
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

jonesy wrote:It's all good going to the draft with 7 and 8, but then we need to wait 4-6 years before they mature. At what point of this rebuild are we going to get serious again then? Is it a 5-6 year one, or a 10-12 year rebuild?
We have an ok list that with a few A graders will start competing, I want to bring in ready made talent if we can do it
Selwood came on very quick and had an immediate impact at pick 7 I believe.

Gresh at pick 18 has pretty much become a walk up starter after only 2 seasons

A couple of top 10 picks could come on quickly.