Saints inactive this FA and trade period?!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints inactive this FA and trade period?!

Con Gorozidis wrote:
degruch wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:
degruch wrote:Nope. There's a lot of movement already, and we flagged our intention to get busy this trade period...reckon there'll be 3-4 heading our way.
Who? Not a peep has come through from anything or anywhere yet.
If you believe half the stuff posted this time of the year we've had a nip at 3-4 GWS players, Stringer, Gaff, Sloane, so hardly quiet. I can't remember the Tigers making much noise other than Prestia before the trade period last year, yet they landed 3 big ones. You're throwing the towel in early, as there'll need to be some major upheavals for GAJ to get back to the Cats and Lever to Melbourne alone, plus throw Gibbs in a possibility, potentially a big ripple effect and we're sitting on the outside with cash and draft picks.
3 big ones?
You have to be joking me.
Caddy was not wanted by Geelong and Nankervis was surplus at the Swans.
They were not big fish. At the time everyone considered them Duds.
The reality is the Tigers big fish - Martin, Rance, Cotchin and Riewoldt were all taken in the draft. Those big fish won them a flag.
No-one considered any of them duds, you're changing history to suit a pointless argument. You don't have to carry on like North Melbourne to enter a trade period and get the job done, and I've just given you last years prime example.

saint-stu
Club Player

On the AFL website, Lions recruiter said they may not have pick 1 after the trade period. Would they be interested in picks 7 and 8? Might suit them more than us.

We could get a mini Dusty ;)

1ac46a38
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

The only players we will get will be those fringe players looking for an opportunity. Gun players will look to go to a strong club looking to win a flag. Carlisle was a rare exception.

Player manager Paul Connors is telling his players to look for a club that can deliver a premiership- that won't be us .. and he manages a lot of the elite talent.

As for 7 & 8 - well Richmond just won a flag based on a small forward line applying lots of pressure. I can almost hear Richo saying "I told you so.." . I'm expecting one of those picks to be used on a speedy small forward unfortunately. . The other on a key defender.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Gershwin
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Hope we are inactive.
We finished mid table.
We have a young list.
We have a huge opportunity with two top ten draft picks.
We are in a development phase with our list mgt.
Don't panic by chasing ordinary mature players.
Let's just back ourselves and stick to developing our own kids.
Sure if u can land a gun like JK you take it but let's not chase a consolation prize.
Need to hold our nerve.
We don't have a young list.
Geary, Brown, Gilbert, Roberton, Carlisle, Savage is our backline. Nothing young there. Neither are Steven, Armitage, Ross, Newnes, Bruce, Weller, Stevens and on we go. I repeat we do not have a young list.

summertime and the living is easy ........
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

We finished mid table.
We have a young list.
Sure if u can land a gun like JK you take it but let's not chase a consolation prize.
Need to hold our nerve.
Well said Con. Use picks 7 and 8 to pick up a couple of potential guns and bank on improvement from within. It's coming.

saint-stu
Club Player

Zed wrote:The only players we will get will be those fringe players looking for an opportunity. Gun players will look to go to a strong club looking to win a flag. Carlisle was a rare exception.

Player manager Paul Connors is telling his players to look for a club that can deliver a premiership- that won't be us .. and he manages a lot of the elite talent.

As for 7 & 8 - well Richmond just won a flag based on a small forward line applying lots of pressure. I can almost hear Richo saying "I told you so.." . I'm expecting one of those picks to be used on a speedy small forward unfortunately. . The other on a key defender.
Richo also said, in pretty much every loss this year, that we were smashed in the midfield. Surely he'd be looking to address that.

1ac46a38
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Why did the Saints only make a late play for Devon Smith?

Too late...now the Bombers will get him apparantly.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
MadSaintFan
Club Player

Gershwin wrote:
We finished mid table.
We have a young list.
Need to hold our nerve.
We don't have a young list.
Geary, Brown, Gilbert, Roberton, Carlisle, Savage is our backline. Nothing young there. Neither are Steven, Armitage, Ross, Newnes, Bruce, Weller, Stevens and on we go. I repeat we do not have a young list.
Check the stats before making a statement like that. Assuming Luke Hodge signs on to play with Brisbane we will officially have the youngest list in terms of average age and games played in the comp.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Saints have also met with Michael Talia. Could be a chance.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Drake Huggins
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote:Saints have also met with Michael Talia. Could be a chance.
Gee, that's a big one, ps. If we're worried about Jakey Stringer's behaviour, Talia would cause us more concern. Drugs and gambling? He's come unstuck twice. The Swines couldn't straighten him up, maybe we can. He has talent, no doubt. Could be worth a punt for a junk late pick or rookie spot. Rookies are basically on the list now anyway, as they will be able to be promoted or be played in the seniors without someone being turfed onto the LTI. A diamond in the rough, perhaps?

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:The only players we will get will be those fringe players looking for an opportunity. Gun players will look to go to a strong club looking to win a flag. Carlisle was a rare exception.

If you're talking about the tigers then surely their midfield was the key with Martin, Cotchin and I thought Titch Edwards did great when playing on the ball. We got's to get our clearances going!

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Drake Huggins
Club Player

Richo is on the right track. His game style is similar to that which won the day for the tiggers. The only problem was, he was writing cheques his list couldn't cash. Maybe that will change this year as the group matures and improves. I think AR is ok. I think he's on the right track. HE needs improvement in the list and a couple of cherries on top of the cake. I can see his philosophy, I just hope he hasn't overstretched the belief. The vacuum left by the departures of Fisher, Dumpster, Joey and Roo is the big test next year. Who will fill the gap? I'm hoping Dunstan, Steele, McCartin, Freeman, Acres, Billings and Ross.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Drake Huggins wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:Saints have also met with Michael Talia. Could be a chance.
Gee, that's a big one, ps. If we're worried about Jakey Stringer's behaviour, Talia would cause us more concern. Drugs and gambling? He's come unstuck twice. The Swines couldn't straighten him up, maybe we can. He has talent, no doubt. Could be worth a punt for a junk late pick or rookie spot. Rookies are basically on the list now anyway, as they will be able to be promoted or be played in the seniors without someone being turfed onto the LTI. A diamond in the rough, perhaps?
Definately a diamond that would come very cheap. He was a good footballer before the Bulldogs done him over.

ace
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:We could get two future big fish with picks 7 and 8. Surely we can't stuff both up?
Trout is a small fresh water fish.
We need bigger salt water fish.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Drake Huggins
Club Player

ace wrote:
saint-stu wrote:We could get two future big fish with picks 7 and 8. Surely we can't stuff both up?
Trout is a small fresh water fish.
We need bigger salt water fish.
I'm sort of glad we're not going to get the fish that John West rejects. Once Fyfe, Kelly, Martin, and Lever were gone, there really isn't much to get excited about. There was some hope surrounding Sloane, but seeing they've lost Lever and Danger went just two years ago, they'd be extremely reluctant to lose Rory, even if it meant gaining picks 7 & 8. In any event, I believe that would be too high a price to pay for someone who will be turning 28. We can get Gaff next year without having to trade and more will come onto the market as well. Just nail those two top ten picks. Hopefully, the chance to do so won't come around again anytime soon.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
supersaints
Club Player

I've always thought I'd prefer the draft , (for at least one of our picks) I expect that the players natural development will step up a gear in the next two seasons. It usually takes around the four pre seasons he and about 60 games for most players to reach thier standard.

It's also taken a fair bit of effort to get our player payment balance right and paying a superstar would no doubt upset the plan and have our future A graders lining up for thier share.

We also need to make sure we don't end up with a gap in the player demographics like we did with Ross Lyon . I think the plan is for ongoing success being keeping the window open as long as possible not fall off the cliff like last time

Indon't think we are in bad shape ....two top ten draft picks is hardly as bad as some are making out, it's something I could live with ... what would be nice is that Kelly decided to give his crack at a flag with GWS two years then move along to us when we are right in the window .... that we we can have our cake and eat it.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Liam
1 hour ago

ST KILDA TRADE NEWS

St Kilda list boss Ameet Bains covered a range of topics on AFL Trade Radio this morning. Here is a snapshot.

On targeting Dylan Shiel:

“Ever since he made that commitment to the Giants we've been told he's happy there. So those rumours are off the mark.”

On targeting Andrew Gaff:

“We did ask the question of the Eagles on Gaff. He's contracted. The Eagles are keen to retain him. And he hasn't indicated any interest to move at this point in time.”

On the draft:

“The prospect of using the top 10 picks is really enticing for us. It's a strong top-end of the draft. We've had a number of clubs speak to us about pick swaps.”

On David Armitage:

“Dave is certainly not looking to go anywhere and we certainly haven't had any discussions with clubs.”
On Steven Motlop:

“We had some discussions with Motlop's manager and our indications are that if he leaves Geelong he'll move interstate.”
expanded thumbnail

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:Liam
1 hour ago

ST KILDA TRADE NEWS

St Kilda list boss Ameet Bains covered a range of topics on AFL Trade Radio this morning. Here is a snapshot.

“Ever since he made that commitment to the Giants we've been told he's happy there. So those rumours are off the mark.”

“We did ask the question of the Eagles on Gaff. He's contracted. The Eagles are keen to retain him. And he hasn't indicated any interest to move at this point in time.”

On the draft:

“The prospect of using the top 10 picks is really enticing for us. It's a strong top-end of the draft. We've had a number of clubs speak to us about pick swaps.”

On David Armitage:

“Dave is certainly not looking to go anywhere and we certainly haven't had any discussions with clubs.”
On Steven Motlop:

“We had some discussions with Motlop's manager and our indications are that if he leaves Geelong he'll move interstate.”
expanded thumbnail
Just read that on Heraldscum site.
Brilliant information for the mug supporter like me hungry for info.
Also shows what a crock of sh1t Trouts um, um, yeah, nah, 100% mate interview was last week.
Well done Bain's, feed us monkeys some bananas and keep us engaged.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Joffa Burns wrote:
1 hour ago

ST KILDA TRADE NEWS

On the draft:

On David Armitage:

On Steven Motlop:

expanded thumbnail
Just read that on Heraldscum site.
Brilliant information for the mug supporter like me hungry for info.
Also shows what a crock of sh1t Trouts um, um, yeah, nah, 100% mate interview was last week.
Well done Bain's, feed us monkeys some bananas and keep us engaged.
Don't diss Ameet 'The Operator' Bains! :D

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

In terms of securing players we look to be the Seagulls of the AFL.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
longtimesaint
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:In terms of securing players we look to be the Seagulls of the AFL.
Maybe we don’t let everyone know what we are doing and operate under the radar.
Let’s see what happens when trading is under way.

One year will be our year
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:In terms of securing players we look to be the Seagulls of the AFL.
Maybe we don’t let everyone know what we are doing and operate under the radar.
Let’s see what happens when trading is under way.

How under the radar can you actually operate under though?

1/ Player would be at another AFL Club (they have their own vested interests at heart)
2/ Player will have a manager, and unless that manager is derelict in looking after HIS players interests, he would sound out other clubs as to his worth unless he was 100% on saints only (which seems unlikely.

Some noise would get out. ie See Bains comments today on Gaff. We sounded him out and so there was "noise" in the industry on this.

I think that Cones of Silence do not work.

And there now seems to be little "noise" left on any good available player that is yet to nominate a club of choice.

The strategy so far seems to be that the players that we have chased we have missed out on, and that we are now just sitting back to see if there are any things shaken loose that may be taken advantage over (ie as with our trade last year of this year's first rounder to the Hawks).

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Drake Huggins
Club Player

The pick from Hawthorn was supposed to help land a big fish. Won't even land us a sardine. Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to the draft we go! Not that it's the worst outcome. Just stalled us twelve months. Could've had last year's pick ten in the system for a year already. Oh well, a brave try that hasn't quite worked out. Or may still.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Joffa Burns wrote:
1 hour ago

ST KILDA TRADE NEWS

“We did ask the question of the Eagles on Gaff. He's contracted. The Eagles are keen to retain him. And he hasn't indicated any interest to move at this point in time.
Interesting to read this statement. No definite answer there!

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
degruch
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:I think that Cones of Silence do not work.
Seemed to in 2001...but there was no forum then.