Gaff trade

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Gaff trade

Can't see a specific thread about this bloke.
He is about the only player strongly linked to the Saints.
What do people think?

I would say a pick 8 for him would be a win-win.

He averaged 29 disposals at 74% efficiency and 419M gained.

Puts him up in a A grader class.

Nee!
Raph Goat Clarke
Club Player

Re: Gaff trade

He is a hard runner, I wouldn't mind having him either.
Previous AA 2015 means his best is 100% A-grade

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Yes, he'd be a very good pick up. A bit of a consolation for not reeling in Josh Kelly.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

West Coast mate of mine (played WAFL Colts) is not a fan at all; doesn't influence the contest as much as his numbers suggest.

I'm indifferent. I think he's clearly got some attributes that would benefit us but don't want to sell the farm for him. He'll command massive wages, too.

Then again, any player who has picked up 738, 657 and 713 in his last three years must have some serious ball-gathering ability.

Pick 8 would be what we'd have to give up and it might be the right call if we decide it's a thin draft.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Having seen the effect of having Jack Steven heavily tagged for much of the season and losing a lot of outside run as a result, we do need another run and carry type to take up the slack, and I suspect this is what the club might be thinking with Gaff?

older saint
SS Life Member

Pick 8 and 3rd round pick for Gaff and their 2nd, 2nd rounder (originally ours) seems about right to me

wskin

I'd love to see Gaff in the red, white and black. Some people might say he's a bit soft but he is an elite outside runner with great endurance and can actually hit a bloody target which most of our guys seem to struggle with. We have enough quality inside mids who are exceptional at getting the hard ball but aren't the best users (Steele, Stevens, Dunstan). I think he is exactly what we need. He would love playing under the roof most the year.

Plus word from the west is that the Weagles want to shake up their list a bit. I think pick 8 would be right on the money for the bloke.

knock knock
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

wskin wrote:I'd love to see Gaff in the red, white and black. Some people might say he's a bit soft but he is an elite outside runner with great endurance and can actually hit a bloody target which most of our guys seem to struggle with. We have enough quality inside mids who are exceptional at getting the hard ball but aren't the best users (Steele, Stevens, Dunstan). I think he is exactly what we need. He would love playing under the roof most the year.

Plus word from the west is that the Weagles want to shake up their list a bit. I think pick 8 would be right on the money for the bloke.
He is almost what we need. Doesnt kick enough goals and has a poor record for kicking at goal. Also is a bit light on metres gained for a bloke that kicks it nearly twice as much as he handballs and who spends most of his time on his own.

Would make a huge difference on rebound 50's and kick outs though and could cut loose on a wing running both ways. Would also make a good role model for Conellan in uncontested possesion smarts. This is the practice we need to add to our pressure game. Could also make Paddys and Membrey job easier.

Not sure Richo would be a fan given our emphasis on pressure but I would hope he is smart enough to see that we need to take the next step and convert rebounds and pressure into goals scored.

David-Lee
Club Player

I never really thought much about Gaff. He doesn't seem to shine. But when reviewing his stats and what his coaches and team mates say...he seems the real deal. I think in our team he could really flourish running on the outside.
Or we can draft someone...hope they develop ( we all know what an amazing job Hamill has done developing the forwards so I'm sure our new draftees will shine under his and the brilliant development coaching team)...back to reality and no longer being a sarcastic bastard...any draftee will likely need 5 years in our system to develop...which I am being genuine based on how long it HAS taken for our current crop.
So not sure that works in our new GF plan...but I dont even know anymore what that is it was 2018, then I heard 2020, then 2019-2022. I have no idea.
But Gaff would be a now guy for at least 3-5 years. So that fits our GF fantasy way better than draftees...
Also only midfielder on St Kilda that gains more metres than Gaff is Jack Newnes...so what does that say about us or him?

tommy54

Gaff suits our needs perfectly. We need pace and class and he matches that description. Whilst he may have some hang-ups, he will complement the collection of "tough" players that we are over-supplied with (Dunstan, Steele, Stevens, etc) and will drive some more direct ball movement. Unlike our previous interests (Fyfe, Kelly, etc) we don't have to pay an exorbitant amount to get him, meaning we can keep one of our top 10 picks.