J Stephenson

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

J Stephenson

Postby older saint » Sun 01 Oct 2017 6:04pm

This kid has been linked in some draft projections around 7 and BOG yesterday looks a likely type. Hopefully keep pick 7 and still available there
older saint
Club Player
 
Posts: 1589
Joined: Wed 12 Sep 2007 5:30pm

Re: J Stephenson

Postby parkeysainter » Sun 01 Oct 2017 6:28pm

older saint wrote:This kid has been linked in some draft projections around 7 and BOG yesterday looks a likely type. Hopefully keep pick 7 and still available there


I'm leaning towards using both picks. There is a massive chance that these two top 10 picks will turn out to be very good players. Lets just get the two best mids available that have speed and skills. Smaller players come on more quickly too and can have an impact.

Unless of course we get a Luke Parker or a mid of that calibre in the trade period that involves one of those picks.
Bring back Phil Narkle's helmet into fashion
User avatar
parkeysainter
Club Player
 
Posts: 775
Joined: Thu 20 Jul 2017 2:59am

Re: J Stephenson

Postby thejiggingsaint » Sun 01 Oct 2017 7:01pm

In my humble opinion, if the very best mids are not available to us via the trade table, then those picks should be used to pick up the best youngsters.
Dream the impossible dream: Go Saints! (to hell with the rest!) :D
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 8119
Joined: Wed 03 Aug 2005 10:01pm

Re: J Stephenson

Postby Wombat15 » Sun 01 Oct 2017 10:59pm

Can we really see this kid falling? cant see him being there at 7 or 8. Bit of Tim Taranto about him as an end of season bolter. Id be happy coming away with Jack Higgins (Jade Gresham 2.0). Need another Decent small forward to pair with gresh that can actually play through the midfield as well.
Wombat15
Club Player
 
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed 21 Oct 2015 4:21pm

Re: J Stephenson

Postby GregPackhamsHeadband » Sun 01 Oct 2017 11:13pm

Higgins is Gresh 2.0 a gun who, like Gresh will fall because he's short. Have him in a heartbeat, although I doubt he'll fall to us. Stephenson is likely to. Keep pick 7 at all costs. Likely to net us a future gun.
I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
User avatar
GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player
 
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed 02 Aug 2017 8:25pm
Location: Goward's Gulch

Re: J Stephenson

Postby Proph3t of egan » Mon 02 Oct 2017 3:11am

Ive heard that Stephensons main criticism is that his kicking can be pretty suspect, can someone confirm this?
Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
Proph3t of egan
Club Player
 
Posts: 515
Joined: Sun 08 May 2016 8:02pm

Re: J Stephenson

Postby DJ Higgins » Mon 02 Oct 2017 7:46am

He will go earlier than 7 so not really an option. I hope we keep both picks and get an outside mid and a key defender, not two mids. Shame Brander will go at pick 6 or earlier. I don't want Fogarty due to him being injured already and we cant take the gamble. Higgins looks good but we already have a mosquito fleet, we dont need another. Maybe Ccoffield or Brayshaw. Shame Naish is off to Punt road
DJ Higgins
Club Player
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri 28 Oct 2016 11:59pm

Re: J Stephenson

Postby whiskers3614 » Mon 02 Oct 2017 7:11pm

No more small forwards or blokes who can't kick and make tackles stick!
Guess we hit the triple treat jackpot with Lonie!
whiskers3614
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3377
Joined: Thu 20 May 2010 11:49pm

Re: J Stephenson

Postby Trev from the Bush » Mon 02 Oct 2017 9:03pm

Jan Stephenson! Wow, she was a looker in her day and could certainly help our boys improve their golf handicaps.

I take it she is the J Stephenson you are talking about?
Saint supporter since '62
Trev from the Bush
Club Player
 
Posts: 923
Joined: Fri 23 Sep 2011 4:24pm
Location: Australia

Re: J Stephenson

Postby Moods » Mon 02 Oct 2017 9:32pm

Proph3t of egan wrote:Ive heard that Stephensons main criticism is that his kicking can be pretty suspect, can someone confirm this?


His kicking is ok, but not brilliant. He's a beautiful long kick and good shot at goal. Field kicking only ok - bit of an awkward style.

Just on him, he has a great tank and a classic athlete's build that can carry lean muscle without slowing him down. At the start of the year he was touted to go #1. He had to learn midfield which took awhile as he was always a stay at home fwd. Has great speed off the mark and a great spring. I agree, if he's there at 7 - grab him!
Moods
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3537
Joined: Fri 05 Jun 2009 3:05pm

Re: J Stephenson

Postby Wombat15 » Tue 03 Oct 2017 8:20am

If we were to get him we need another team like freo to do something weird and take Sam Hayes which for some reason they are lining up.
Wombat15
Club Player
 
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed 21 Oct 2015 4:21pm

Re: J Stephenson

Postby MickThomas » Tue 03 Oct 2017 6:16pm

I have little confidence in Paddy McC being a regular senior player,
with his diabetes and that other issue...
He may play 16 games in a row, in an ideal world,
but I don't think he can play 3 in a row comfortably.

Therefore I would love the club to grab the best forward prospect, to add to our other young forwards- who had a taste last year.
We don't know if they can be regular seniors, so another forward would be fantastic.
Con Gorozides isn't a troll, he has opinions like we all do.
If you disagree with him and attack personally
rather than use logic and facts,
you're either lazy or your comment can be viewed as trolling.
MickThomas
Club Player
 
Posts: 418
Joined: Mon 21 Aug 2017 1:23am
Location: Doncaster, Victoria

Re: J Stephenson

Postby spert » Tue 03 Oct 2017 6:40pm

MickThomas wrote:I have little confidence in Paddy McC being a regular senior player,
with his diabetes and that other issue...
He may play 16 games in a row, in an ideal world,
but I don't think he can play 3 in a row comfortably.

Therefore I would love the club to grab the best forward prospect, to add to our other young forwards- who had a taste last year.
We don't know if they can be regular seniors, so another forward would be fantastic.

Agree- but I do hope Paddy can defy medical history and be a chronic concussion victim who can have a long career in a high impact sport. Wrap the man's head up in foam in 2018 for God's sake!
spert
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 6785
Joined: Wed 29 Jun 2005 10:39pm
Location: A distant beach

Re: J Stephenson

Postby DJ Higgins » Tue 03 Oct 2017 7:33pm

spert wrote:
MickThomas wrote:I have little confidence in Paddy McC being a regular senior player,
with his diabetes and that other issue...
He may play 16 games in a row, in an ideal world,
but I don't think he can play 3 in a row comfortably.

Therefore I would love the club to grab the best forward prospect, to add to our other young forwards- who had a taste last year.
We don't know if they can be regular seniors, so another forward would be fantastic.

Agree- but I do hope Paddy can defy medical history and be a chronic concussion victim who can have a long career in a high impact sport. Wrap the man's head up in foam in 2018 for God's sake!


Nice to hear some other people think the same way. Paddy was not our greatest choice. I would start playing him at the back to see if he is better there and hopefully not get injured. I disagree to get the best forward as we need a key defender and outside mid more. Here's hoping we do use both draft picks
DJ Higgins
Club Player
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri 28 Oct 2016 11:59pm

Re: J Stephenson

Postby Con Gorozidis » Tue 03 Oct 2017 8:08pm

Image
User avatar
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 22643
Joined: Thu 19 Jun 2008 4:04pm

Re: J Stephenson

Postby Trev from the Bush » Tue 03 Oct 2017 8:24pm

You're right Con; this is the only J Stephenson I know of.

Amazing how a thread can get this far without anybody spilling the beans about who they are talking about! :)
Saint supporter since '62
Trev from the Bush
Club Player
 
Posts: 923
Joined: Fri 23 Sep 2011 4:24pm
Location: Australia

Re: J Stephenson

Postby Moods » Tue 03 Oct 2017 8:47pm

One thing the GF showed, is that you MUST be able to run and defend as well as continually lead. Jack Riewoldt did it superbly. In other words you not only have to be fit but fast as well. I fear Paddy is neither of those things. Not aerobically fit anyway. It's the major thing holding Vickery back. He simply can't get to contests. Paddy would be a superstar park footballer, whereas some very good Afl footballers would struggle to have the same impact as Paddy at local level.
I really hope he can build his tank. Either that or Richo will have to become the most courageous coach in the competition and be prepared to leave him on his own all game in the 50
Moods
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3537
Joined: Fri 05 Jun 2009 3:05pm

Re: J Stephenson

Postby lewdogs » Wed 04 Oct 2017 12:49am

MickThomas wrote:I have little confidence in Paddy McC being a regular senior player,
with his diabetes and that other issue...
He may play 16 games in a row, in an ideal world,
but I don't think he can play 3 in a row comfortably.

Therefore I would love the club to grab the best forward prospect, to add to our other young forwards- who had a taste last year.
We don't know if they can be regular seniors, so another forward would be fantastic.

What do you know about his diabetes? I'm guessing nothing. Am I right?
User avatar
lewdogs
Club Player
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Tue 17 Jun 2008 2:11pm

Re: J Stephenson

Postby ace » Thu 05 Oct 2017 1:30am

Con Gorozidis wrote:Image


Might be a good swing player.
The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
User avatar
ace
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 6641
Joined: Sun 16 Dec 2007 3:28pm
Location: St Kilda

Re: J Stephenson

Postby ace » Thu 05 Oct 2017 1:32am

lewdogs wrote:
MickThomas wrote:I have little confidence in Paddy McC being a regular senior player,
with his diabetes and that other issue...
He may play 16 games in a row, in an ideal world,
but I don't think he can play 3 in a row comfortably.

Therefore I would love the club to grab the best forward prospect, to add to our other young forwards- who had a taste last year.
We don't know if they can be regular seniors, so another forward would be fantastic.

What do you know about his diabetes? I'm guessing nothing. Am I right?


Do tell us what you DO know Lewdogs.
The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
User avatar
ace
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 6641
Joined: Sun 16 Dec 2007 3:28pm
Location: St Kilda

Re: J Stephenson

Postby MickThomas » Thu 05 Oct 2017 3:57am

lewdogs wrote:
MickThomas wrote:I have little confidence in Paddy McC being a regular senior player,
with his diabetes and that other issue...
He may play 16 games in a row, in an ideal world,
but I don't think he can play 3 in a row comfortably.

Therefore I would love the club to grab the best forward prospect, to add to our other young forwards- who had a taste last year.
We don't know if they can be regular seniors, so another forward would be fantastic.

What do you know about his diabetes? I'm guessing nothing. Am I right?

How many games has he played this year?
And 2016?
Notice "he may play 16 games in a row, in an ideal world. ."
I really hope he can find a way to avoid problems, but
who really knows?
Con Gorozides isn't a troll, he has opinions like we all do.
If you disagree with him and attack personally
rather than use logic and facts,
you're either lazy or your comment can be viewed as trolling.
MickThomas
Club Player
 
Posts: 418
Joined: Mon 21 Aug 2017 1:23am
Location: Doncaster, Victoria

Re: J Stephenson

Postby Drake Huggins » Thu 05 Oct 2017 6:22am

Paddy is a crucial player for us this year. If he kicks around 40 goals, we will have partially filled the massive void left by Roo. If he stays fit, he's certainly capable of that. Everything crossed that he doesn't get another bad head knock. It's his time. Fourth year coming up. It has a bit of now or never about it.
"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
User avatar
Drake Huggins
Club Player
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Wed 04 Oct 2017 4:28pm
Location: The G.G. Huggins Stand

Re: J Stephenson

Postby lewdogs » Thu 05 Oct 2017 5:52pm

ace wrote:
lewdogs wrote:
MickThomas wrote:I have little confidence in Paddy McC being a regular senior player,
with his diabetes and that other issue...
He may play 16 games in a row, in an ideal world,
but I don't think he can play 3 in a row comfortably.

Therefore I would love the club to grab the best forward prospect, to add to our other young forwards- who had a taste last year.
We don't know if they can be regular seniors, so another forward would be fantastic.

What do you know about his diabetes? I'm guessing nothing. Am I right?


Do tell us what you DO know Lewdogs.

Just as much as Mick.
User avatar
lewdogs
Club Player
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Tue 17 Jun 2008 2:11pm

Re: J Stephenson

Postby kalsaint » Fri 06 Oct 2017 3:11am

whiskers3614 wrote:No more small forwards or blokes who can't kick and make tackles stick!
Guess we hit the triple treat jackpot with Lonie!


Just no more small forwards. We need to find players who don't act like the ball and bounce off bigger players without impact.
Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
kalsaint
Club Player
 
Posts: 1729
Joined: Sat 24 Apr 2004 10:24pm
Location: Kalgoorlie WA

Re: J Stephenson

Postby CQ SAINT » Tue 10 Oct 2017 12:38am

MickThomas wrote:I have little confidence in Paddy McC being a regular senior player,
with his diabetes and that other issue...
He may play 16 games in a row, in an ideal world,
but I don't think he can play 3 in a row comfortably.

Therefore I would love the club to grab the best forward prospect, to add to our other young forwards- who had a taste last year.
We don't know if they can be regular seniors, so another forward would be fantastic.


Paddy, as a professional athlete aided by professional dieticians and nutritionists, has a very good chance of evening out, if not improving his chances of performing at an a elite level without the increased risks of concussion.

His diet is key. As a diabetic, it is probable that he has a higher risk of concussion from head traùma because diabetics have decreased function in drawing energy from glucose to the brain cells and this would impair his neurological ability to recover from impact trauma. We have seen this already.

Im hoping recent reports that he has become very lean means he has controlled his metabolism and natural insulin production and is burning fat stores through a ketogenic diet utilising ketones instead of glucose to produce energy, decreasing glycation oxidation in his arteries and allowing more fatty acids and ATPs to deliver energy to his brain cells. Intake of high levels of magnesium will also help him improve his brain cell function and increase his brains resistance to trauma.

Clean eating and high intake of antioxidants and fatty acids and avoiding all chemicals and food additives and insulin spiking carbs will make a huge difference to his brain function and help overcome the the debilitating effects diabetes can have on his neuropathy.

Hope this clears things up.
CQ SAINT
Club Player
 
Posts: 509
Joined: Sat 12 Sep 2015 1:03pm

Next

Return to Saintsational Fan Forum (open to all ages)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 1965 Saint, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], saintsRrising and 15 guests