GT on Richmond flag win

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

GT on Richmond flag win

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/richmo ... c097e883f5

Forgetting GT for a sec, I kind of agree with the article.

Richmond was a total basket case at the end of last year....and here we are the day after the GF.

There is hope for the Saints yet!!! :lol:

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Re: GT on Richmond flag win

Not to mention in the process of slipping out of the top 8 deep into the end of the H&A. But surely the Doggies were far less talented and much luckier than the Tiges? At least the Tigers produced their best footy to take on a genuinely contender, the Swans had to get half their team out of hospital for the GF last year. I guess history will tell...can the Tigers back it up next year against a tide of improved teams?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

His comments will just inflame Richmond supporters who will point to our pathetic history.

Thanks GT.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

degruch wrote:Not to mention in the process of slipping out of the top 8 deep into the end of the H&A. But surely the Doggies were far less talented and much luckier than the Tiges? At least the Tigers produced their best footy to take on a genuinely contender, the Swans had to get half their team out of hospital for the GF last year. I guess history will tell...can the Tigers back it up next year against a tide of improved teams?
I'm of the opinion that the Tigers had their one chance at a flag and they bloody well took it. Good on them for playing and coaching out of their skins in 2017 I guess. Same as the Doggies. The Tigers will find it much harder next year.

Unlike the Saints in 09 and 10, we bloody well blew it twice.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
degruch
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:
degruch wrote:Not to mention in the process of slipping out of the top 8 deep into the end of the H&A. But surely the Doggies were far less talented and much luckier than the Tiges? At least the Tigers produced their best footy to take on a genuinely contender, the Swans had to get half their team out of hospital for the GF last year. I guess history will tell...can the Tigers back it up next year against a tide of improved teams?
I'm of the opinion that the Tigers had their one chance at a flag and they bloody well took it. Good on them for playing and coaching out of their skins in 2017 I guess. Same as the Doggies. The Tigers will find it much harder next year.

We'll see next year.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Dogs stay exactly where they are next year, they recruited and played for the moment, and it's slipped past them fast. Pinching one is one thing, but sustained success is a completely different kettle of fish, achieving a Hawthorn-esque culture right the way through. We were right up there in the running anywhere from 2004 to 2012, after spurts in the 90's, but fell back on old habits off-field and got nothing for it. Boo hoo to us. Well done to the others for getting the job done, I really hope we can consign history to dusty books and get on target to building something formidable.

Whether he's right or not, GT dishing out backhanded compliments doesn't mean much for us.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Honestly Grant Thomas is a f***** idiot. How about keeping your mouth shut for once.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Honestly Grant Thomas is a f***** idiot. How about keeping your mouth shut for once.
Old jam sandwiches dial-a-quote at it again :roll: :roll: :roll:
Couldn't make a GF with Hamill, Gehrig, Harvey, Hayes, Ball, Dal, Roo, Max, Powell et al and he makes that quote.

Typical comment from old party pies and sauce.
Got to laugh, he's so desperate to be relevant he resorts to idiotic comments for publicity :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good old don footy frank in bread, bahahaha :roll:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

magnifisaint wrote:Honestly Grant Thomas is a f***** idiot. How about keeping your mouth shut for once.
Actually he's spot on, they've won a Premiership with a List that's nowhere near a Premiership List. Put Martin & Cotchin to one side and our List is better. They deserve credit for pulling it off, but it is what it is and shows how tight the competition has been this and last season.

They were garbage last year and without Martin would have been completely non competitive last year. The good news is that we're coming from a far better base than they did.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
Actually he's spot on, they've won a Premiership with a List that's nowhere near a Premiership List. Put Martin & Cotchin to one side and our List is better. They deserve credit for pulling it off, but it is what it is and shows how tight the competition has been this and last season.

They were garbage last year and without Martin would have been completely non competitive last year. The good news is that we're coming from a far better base than they did.
They have one thing that we don't, which is an out and out champion midfielder. I reckon it's Dusty's flag, though Rance and Cotchin are also terrific players.

Our list is more even than theirs imo and it wouldn't surprise me if we finished top four next season if things go right. Momentum and confidence go a long way.

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote:

A damning assessment of his own failures as a coach. Handed a list that was compared to being invited to be Elle's boyfriend, the massive ego failed, three years in a row. Even a limited man in Lyon did better. Sometimes, GT, it's better to keep your mouth shut when you've been handed a golden ticket and screwed it up, which is what you did. Buttersssss was right about you.

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:

an honest and fair assessment there, colleague. Careful mate, some dont like to hear inconvenient truths.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Lyon is a limited man alright. Still too stubborn and arrogant to concede that you must kick goals to win premierships.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:

We'll see next year.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Dogs stay exactly where they are next year, they recruited and played for the moment, and it's slipped past them fast. Pinching one is one thing, but sustained success is a completely different kettle of fish, achieving a Hawthorn-esque culture right the way through. We were right up there in the running anywhere from 2004 to 2012, after spurts in the 90's, but fell back on old habits off-field and got nothing for it. Boo hoo to us. Well done to the others for getting the job done, I really hope we can consign history to dusty books and get on target to building something formidable.

Whether he's right or not, GT dishing out backhanded compliments doesn't mean much for us.
Yes, spot on mate re: "achieving a Hawthorn-esque culture" at Whitten oval. Hawthorn achieved their success over a LONG period of time (04-15) Clarkson built that juggernaut by damned hard work and professionalism. Hardwick is a product of that culture (coaching-wise at least) and now that the monkey has been lifted from their collective backs, Richmond could well be a powerhouse for a few more seasons...... depending on how they respond to success.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

He'sspot on, if a little inflammatory with how he says it. GT himself had a far better team - mind you our AAs were still in their formative years under him, Lyon had a team at peak condition and age with a list far above Richmonds and far less ordinary players. But he retrained them to the wrong type of game. Helped the spuds play a role, but nullified the advantage all our stars brought to the game. Worst mistake we ever made appointing him. What odds we'll ever see such a star packed team again?
The Tigers took their chance, admittedly the competition wasn't close to the Geelng and Collingwood teams we played - but Collngwood themselves weren't full of stars - just far better coached than us.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

The last 2 GFs make a strong case for the smaller forward line.

It's not only about kicking goals - Richmond's quicker, smaller and more agile forward line was able to apply much more effective pressure on the Adelaide backline (than the Adelaide forwards applied on Richmond's back line).

mickey
Club Player

18 players wanted it more than the other 18. In over 100 years our 18 couldn't do it on the day that mattered. Credit to Richmond. It makes living in adelaide so much easier from now on, so happy the crows felt the pain. Arrogant club finally got their dues !

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:

A damning assessment of his own failures as a coach. Handed a list that was compared to being invited to be Elle's boyfriend, the massive ego failed, three years in a row. Even a limited man in Lyon did better. Sometimes, GT, it's better to keep your mouth shut when you've been handed a golden ticket and screwed it up, which is what you did. Buttersssss was right about you.
I like your line about keeping your mouth shut...My Fact check metre starts going ballistic when GT is criticised and Lyon is seen as some sort of savior for a team that was going nowhere.

Fact # 1. GT took a team from the bottom of the ladder to consecutive pre-lims. Lyon inherited a team that was already on an upward trajectory and therfore when one senior coach was asked whether he thought it would be a good gig he responded with the now famous Elle analogy.

Fact # 2. GT helped create the self belief requred and the team ethos required for success. GT helped create leaders and a playing group that kept improving after he departed. Lyon on the other hand thought that as long as he was coach and Roo was captain we'd be fine. Lyon had given up on the group and told them in May 2011 ( after they'd come off 2 consecutive GF campaigns) that "it was the end of an era". Lyon created confusion in the players mind and his negativity was the catalyst for the teams loss of self belief. If he'd departed without the stupid, impulsive, simplistic, premature prophecies regarding the end of an era, perhaps I might have seen things differently and maybe even some of the players might have turned things around a lot quicker. Who knows?

spert
Saintsational Legend

Looks like the belief systems are working well at Richmond and that's how they just kept bashing away to be where they got. Something we clearly lack and why we turn to water when it gets tough. GT instilled a belief system into a floundering playing group and turned us around hugely. It is obvious that Richo is not one who gets into players heads- seems more just about the physical aspect.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:

GT came up against a manufactured AFL team with more leg ups than we had seen before.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
samoht
Saintsational Legend

The only thing that I blame GT for was playing serial-failure Guerra in the final against Port Adelaide.
1 or 2 possessions all night, and he coudn't even redeem himself by toe-poking that goal.
Hamill being sidelined and injured didn't help, of course.

Falling short by a goal with a bunch of 19-20 year old kids, one of which was carried off the ground in the first quarter (Goddard) - to a team that went on to smash the Brisbane Lions in the GF was an impressive effort.

Think GWS and how they were being smashed early on when they had 19 and 20 year old budding stars - they were bottom of the ladder.
Last edited by samoht on Mon 02 Oct 2017 9:33am, edited 1 time in total.

spert
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:The only thing that I blame GT for was playing serial-failure Guerra in the final against Port Adelaide.
1 or 2 possessions all night, and he coudn't even redeem himself by toe-poking that goal.
Hamill being sidelined and injured didn't help, of course.

Falling short by a goal with a bunch of 19-20 year old kids, one of which was carried off the ground in the first quarter (Goddard) - to a team that went on to smash the Brisbane Lions in the GF was an impressive effort.

Think GWS and how they were being smashed when they had 19 and 20 year old budding stars - they were bottom of the ladder.
I think Roo and Milne had pretty quiet nights too against PA in that final, and we just need a few more goals from the forwards.

Legendary
Club Player

I reckon Geelong's 2009 side was 50% better than the Tigers' team on Saturday...

B: M. Rooke, M. Scarlett, T. Harley
B: N. Vlaustin, A. Rance, D. Grimes

HB: A. Mackie, H. Taylor, D. Milburn
HB: B. Houli, D. Astbury, K. Mcintosh

C: J. Kelly, C. Ling, C. Enright
C: D. Prestia, T. Cotchin, S. Grigg

HF: P. Chapman, C. Mooney, G. Ablett
HF: S. Edwards, J. Riewoldt, K. Lambert

F: S. Byrnes, T. Hawkins, S. Johnson
F: D. Rioli, J. Caddy, J. Graham

Foll: B. Ottens, J. Bartel, J. Selwood
Foll: T. Nankervis, D. Martin, B. Ellis

I/C: J. Kelly, J. Corey, D. Wojcinski, M. Blake
I/C: N. Broad, J. Townsend, J. Castagna. D. Butler

samoht
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: I think Roo and Milne had pretty quiet nights too against PA in that final, and we just need a few more goals from the forwards.
We only went down by a goal, even with all the bad luck we had before and during the game.
How long has it taken GWS to finally start playing finals --- and how many goals did they go down by this year?

GWS were being smashed in their early years, and experts were rightly saying that we should give their young stars a few years to mature and develop, before we see them make the finals. That we shouldn't be jumping the gun with them.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:

They have one thing that we don't, which is an out and out champion midfielder. I reckon it's Dusty's flag, though Rance and Cotchin are also terrific players.

Our list is more even than theirs imo and it wouldn't surprise me if we finished top four next season if things go right. Momentum and confidence go a long way.
They have 2 champion mids - Cotchin has won a brownlow as well and was brilliant this year. Prestia was recruited and paid them back on Saturday. He will be a very good player for them. Those 3 in the guts crap all over anything we have to offer at present.

They also have an extremely good fwd in Riewoldt (Our extremely good fwd just retired and was a far poorer version of himself in 2017) and the best backman in the league. We have Jake, which is a great start, but no-one at present holds a candle to Rance.

They have the key ingredients to a premiership team. They don't have a 2nd ruck (neither do we) except we pretend we do. We look far better when we put our Grigg version in there in the form of Gilbo.

The big difference is that Dimma has somehow unlocked the key to get the WHOLE team on board. So even blokes with very average ability played at their optimum. Cotchin was sensational this year and really should have been named captain of the year. His leadership was breathtaking really. Just copybook. Led the way as a captain should and the lesser lights jumped on board.

I highly doubt that after all the back slappingover summer that they will come back anything like the team that finished 2017 - who cares? They won a flag. Ideally I would want a dynasty, but right now I would take a flag pinched

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Don't underestimate this stat, too - Richmond's kick to handball ratio---- 212:128.
Richmond has players that take on the game and provide drive --- that don't fiddle around with backward handballs .. that gain metreage for their team.

We need players with skill and poise that similarly "take on the game". At least another 2-3 in the guts, and someone skillful like Houli in the backline would be handy.

Recruiters, take note.